Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2012, 23:09   #5281
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Look for deals on the panel first. There might be an offer for upgrade to HD or new HD connection voucher etc (not necessarily TATA). Try all of the big retailers both off as well as on line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
I just checked the Tatasky HD + upgrade is for Rs 4850/=
Now I am confused if I should get the Tatasky HD+ installed first or the Panasonic P42U30D TV first.
Old 20th February 2012, 14:50   #5282
BHPian

Quote:
Now I am confused if I should get the Tatasky HD+ installed first or the Panasonic P42U30D TV first.
As you have already purchased the plasma from flipkart, you can book the new tata sky connection appx. 2-3 days before the expected delivery schedule of the tv.

It may be one day here and there, but i guess it should not make much of a difference.

I purchased an airtel hd box for which it took them 2 days for installation after payment. Till that time I used my regular dish tv connection.
racingmachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 10:59   #5283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get the TV installed first. You may test it using a USB drive or by connecting it with a laptop.

Once the TV is installed, call up Tata Sky and order the STB. They have very quick service (at least in Bangalore). I ordered Tata Sky + HD at 8 pm and received the call from their installation guy the next morning.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:34   #5284
BHPian

It seems I spoke too soon. It turned out to be a boogie ... After 5 days of placing the order and making the payment for the Panasonic P42U30D at Flipkart, I got a mail regretting that they do not have this model in stock, and I should consider buying the P42X30D instead.
This was my first dealing with Flipkart and I am utterly disappointed. Their site is still showing the P42U30D available at Bangalore, and I told them to ship it from there but I doubt that they even have it in stock there.

So it's back to square one for me. I want a Full HD 40/42 " Plasma / LED without 3D. Any recommendations anyone. The Samsung LED 5900 Series 40" is the next thing I am considering but it is expensive at around 60,000.

And thank god I still haven't ordered the Tatasky HD till now.

Styler
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:59   #5285
Senior - BHPian

Finally purchased a Samsung Series 4 32 inch HD ready LCD TV last weekend.

I was initially interested in full HD, but decided to go with HD ready because it was being offered at a discount of 5k. I sealed the deal at 27k.

Also purchased a Tata Sky + HD box for this LCD. I am really satisfied with the PQ and SQ. Since the screen size and resolution are less, quality of SD channels is also acceptable (I use 4:3 aspect ratio while watching SD channels).

It can play all video formats I can think of, also provides subtitle support. I played some 720p videos, I was blown away by the colours and details. (I have to agree that my frame of reference is very low since this is my first HDTV).

A few questions :

1. User manual says not to leave static images on the screen for long duration. Do LCD TVs also have image retention issues like plasma TVs ?

2. I watch SD channels in 4:3 aspect ratio with black pillar boxes on both sides. Will this cause any harm to LCD TV ? (Will the black pillar boxes cause image retention ?)

3. Is a voltage stabiliser required/recommended for LCD TV ? Any recommended brands/models ? (I am currently using a spike suppressor)

Rohan
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:39   #5286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler
It seems I spoke too soon.

So it's back to square one for me. I want a Full HD 40/42 " Plasma / LED without 3D. Any recommendations anyone. The Samsung LED 5900 Series 40" is the next thing I am considering but it is expensive at around 60,000.
What a bummer, they must be customer centric and keep the deal, I assume they are all out of stock.
But look at this way that you get another chance to review some more and get the latest model. Samsung/Sony will fit nicely in that price bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr
Finally purchased a Samsung Series 4 32 inch HD ready LCD TV last weekend.

I was initially interested in full HD, but decided to go with HD ready because it was being offered at a discount of 5k. I sealed the deal at 27k.

Also purchased a Tata Sky + HD box for this LCD. I am really satisfied with the PQ and SQ. Since the screen size and resolution are less, quality of SD channels is also acceptable (I use 4:3 aspect ratio while watching SD channels).

It can play all video formats I can think of, also provides subtitle support. I played some 720p videos, I was blown away by the colours and details. (I have to agree that my frame of reference is very low since this is my first HDTV).

A few questions :

1. User manual says not to leave static images on the screen for long duration. Do LCD TVs also have image retention issues like plasma TVs ?

2. I watch SD channels in 4:3 aspect ratio with black pillar boxes on both sides. Will this cause any harm to LCD TV ? (Will the black pillar boxes cause image retention ?)

3. Is a voltage stabiliser required/recommended for LCD TV ? Any recommended brands/models ? (I am currently using a spike suppressor)

Rohan
Congratulations!

To answer your queries,
1. LCDs don't have burn in issues but earlier panels had pixel failure rates with static images, don't stress too much. We all have been using flat panel TFT as computer screens with static images.
2. No issues but that will hurt your eyes
3. Not necessary but if power quality isn't great then by all means get a stabilizer.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 09:36   #5287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
2. No issues but that will hurt your eyes
I didn't get this one.

Why would watching SD channels in 4:3 mode on 16:9 HDTV hurt the eyes ?

Rohan
Old 24th February 2012, 12:01   #5288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr

I didn't get this one.

Why would watching SD channels in 4:3 mode on 16:9 HDTV hurt the eyes ?

Rohan
The resolution changes and you might find the character / scenery distort, it's not directly related to hurting eye, but the eyes do have to adapt to the image formation. Also, black pixels (which is not actually black in LCD) is equivalent to stationary image

Cheers!
Old 24th February 2012, 13:59   #5289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
The resolution changes and you might find the character / scenery distort, it's not directly related to hurting eye, but the eyes do have to adapt to the image formation. Also, black pixels (which is not actually black in LCD) is equivalent to stationary image

Cheers!
I think I was not able to convey properly regarding 4:3 mode. Let me try again.

My Tata Sky + HD set top box, when connected to LCD TV of 16:9 aspect ratio, provides 2 viewing options for SD channels:
1. Viewing SD channels it in the original 4:3 aspect ratio, with black pillar boxes on both sides (This retains the original resolution of the program)
2. Viewing SD channels in streched mode (This streches the 4:3 programs to fit in the 16:9 aspect ratio of the TV)

I find that option 2 distorts the resolution of the images and makes the characters look streched horizontally, whereas option 1 gives effect similar to watching programs on a normal 4:3 aspect ratio CRT. (I use option 1)

Anyway, my main doubt is whether these black pillar boxes cause any problems to the LCD TV ? Can these black pillar boxes be treated as a stationary image on the display ?

Rohan
Old 24th February 2012, 14:08   #5290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

My Tata Sky + HD set top box, when connected to LCD TV of 16:9 aspect ratio, provides 2 viewing options for SD channels:
1. Viewing SD channels it in the original 4:3 aspect ratio, with black pillar boxes on both sides (This retains the original resolution of the program)
2. Viewing SD channels in streched mode (This streches the 4:3 programs to fit in the 16:9 aspect ratio of the TV)

I find that option 2 distorts the resolution of the images and makes the characters look streched horizontally, whereas option 1 gives effect similar to watching programs on a normal 4:3 aspect ratio CRT. (I use option 1)

Anyway, my main doubt is whether these black pillar boxes cause any problems to the LCD TV ? Can these black pillar boxes be treated as a stationary image on the display ?

Rohan
Static images cause NO PROBLEMS to LCD or LED backlit LCD TVs. It used to be a problem in older Plasma TV models, but not anymore in the newer models.

Choose your aspect ratio to whatever is comfortable for you without worrying about any physical damage.
Neilguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 12:15   #5291
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
Planning to buy a 42 inch LED TV, budget < 75k hopefully.
Following are the features I have in mind.
- Screen size 42 inch
- Resolution Full HD 1920 x 1080
- Response time < 3ms (or should it be still lower ?)
- Refresh Rate 200 Hz (is 100 Hz enough ?)
- Connectivity - Network & Wi-fi support for browsing, streaming (DLNA certification ?)
- 3 to 4 HDMI ports
- USB support
- out of the box support for video formats (not a must-have since I can get a separate media player)
- last but not least, bang for the buck - VFM

Please let me know if I need to look for anything else.

I wanted to make the choice between Sony, Samsung and LG brands. From my initial research it does seem that LG will be the only one I can choose from since both Sony and Samsung only have 40 and 46 inch models not 42 inch.
EDIT: Should I bring Plasma also into this mix ? (I think it will become confusing for me to make the decision !)

Last edited by NPV : 25th February 2012 at 12:18.
Old 25th February 2012, 12:56   #5292
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Rohan
I don't think it stretches the screen, the transmission itself is in 16:9. At least in my airtel connection its like that but its normal one not HD.
Old 25th February 2012, 14:43   #5293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool

I don't think it stretches the screen, the transmission itself is in 16:9. At least in my airtel connection its like that but its normal one not HD.
It does stretch for all sd channels, because the source signal is 4:3, irrespective of whether it's airtel, tata, big our dish. But the way it stretches varies according to stretching algorithm used. In some tv, the centre portion is not stretched, instead, the sides are stretched more which gives it an unstretched illusion because our eyes are more focussed on the centre portion of the screen.
Old 25th February 2012, 15:06   #5294
Senior - BHPian

You could simply walk in to one of the many Panasonic brand shops that dot Delhi and buy the model off the shelf.

Quote:

And thank god I still haven't ordered the Tatasky HD till now.

Styler

Look at the warranty period too.

VFM Led-Lcd tv buy the Panasonic E series or the D series, have all features mentioned by you and 3 year warranty to boot.
E Series | Panasonic

If you want to go the plasma way get Panasonic TH-P42ST30D @ 56K and 3 year warranty a beautiful panel to bring home and the PQ is outstanding.
ST Series | Panasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks,
Planning to buy a 42 inch LED TV, budget < 75k hopefully.
Following are the features I have in mind.

- last but not least, bang for the buck - VFM

Please let me know if I need to look for anything else.

EDIT: Should I bring Plasma also into this mix ? (I think it will become confusing for me to make the decision !)
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 15:57   #5295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
VFM Led-Lcd tv buy the Panasonic E series or the D series, have all features mentioned by you and 3 year warranty to boot.
E Series | Panasonic

If you want to go the plasma way get Panasonic TH-P42ST30D @ 56K and 3 year warranty a beautiful panel to bring home and the PQ is outstanding.
ST Series | Panasonic
I agree, Plasma is the way to go for PQ.
Samsung 6 series is also a good bet, I am not too current on the prices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks