Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:36   #4591
Max
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I am in market for 40" lcd or led tv. Has anyone bought it from ALFA in mumbai?. I am looking at sony BX400 lcd tv (36k at alfa) or sony ex710 LED (somewhere around 60k at alfa). Let me know if any suggestions. Frankly, i don't want to spend much on tv as i will also be buying home theater system (onkoyo 3400) and i really don't need fancy features, just a sony or samsung tv which plays good videos. I am also not sports or PS3 fan however, i may be buying PS3 for occasional games like tennis, golf etc.,
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:50   #4592
BHPian

Philips PFL5505 46" LCD TV

Would really appreciate some first hand reviews of this TV. The price looks too good to be true for a 46 incher, that too with a 2+2yrs warranty. Is the TV really as good as it promises to be or am I missing something?

Thanks
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:02   #4593
BHPian

@Wimwian - Thats a very good price for 46" (Rs 54K), i paid rs 54K for a Samsung 40" but got a few freebies which would reduce the price for around 50K. If you are not looking for USB playback of movies directly then this is a good option. Getting a DVD which supports Divx/HD Divx would solve this. The only doubt would be is this a Demo unit.
Old 23rd March 2011, 23:19   #4594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
@Wimwian - Thats a very good price for 46" (Rs 54K), i paid rs 54K for a Samsung 40" but got a few freebies which would reduce the price for around 50K. If you are not looking for USB playback of movies directly then this is a good option. Getting a DVD which supports Divx/HD Divx would solve this. The only doubt would be is this a Demo unit.
I checked the user manual, it does have a USB 2.0 port that supports the following formats

Picture format: JPEG BMP PNG
Video format: H.264 RM/RMVB XVID MPEG4 MPEG2 MPEG1 , etc..
Audio format: MP3 WMA
Wimwian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 23:26   #4595
BHPian

If blu-ray player and LED TV are to be interconnected (wireless) and with router, can we use use these regular USB wifi adapter or we have to use those expensive proprietor dongles?
Old 26th March 2011, 17:53   #4596
BHPian

Called panasonic brandshop and enquired about 42x20d. They told that this specific model was stopped and that a new model in X series would be launched in May.

Anyone got any inside information on this?

V20d was for 65k - way way outside my tiny pocket.
Old 28th March 2011, 10:54   #4597
Senior - BHPian

Update: "Play to" option for WMP is working flawlessly after re-installing the Windows media player. Sub titles are not supported but I am really liking it as I can control the play back from laptop itself!
Old 31st March 2011, 17:19   #4598
BHPian

Bhpians,

My friend is planning to get a 26" LCD TV. Any suggestions about possible brands/models would be most welcome.

I had suggested him to go for an LED one but he said that he does not have a budget for the same.
Old 31st March 2011, 20:18   #4599
BHPian

Ordered Samsung 32'' LCD 4 series HD ready for 26K, good thing was that it plays most of the video formats including mkv.
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:09   #4600
BHPian

Hi. In the 26 inch LCD TV category, which among the two, Samsung and LG, would be a better buy?

Some say LG picture tubes are made in China, and Samsung has a better picture quality?

I saw both in the market today and somehow liked LG picture quality better. But if it is china made, i am a bit skeptical about the purchase. Can anyone throw some light on the same? Any inputs/insights are welcome. It would be more helpful if anyone could point out the model number of the TV as well.
Old 4th April 2011, 16:43   #4601
BHPian

^^ I bought myself a 32" LG LCD TV last month. It is full HD ready. I really like the Picture clarity. Also the ease of connecting external HDDs is noticeable. Comes with the HDMI port too. You can play almost all kinds of video formats from your HDD. Also the image clarity is great and you can view slideshows of your photos from your HDD. Easy to mount onto the wall too, cos the T.V is very light weight.

Will recommend L.G or sure. Sorry, i cant remember the model no. After discount i got it for 32k net. Hope this helps!
Old 4th April 2011, 21:24   #4602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If you are bringing it in as part of baggage, duty is flat 35%+cess (approx 3%) on the amount that exceeds 25k. This is regardless of item.

I recall a better discussion on this - remember where?

We had discussed things like how they fix the value etc. It was mentioned that the value is domestic market value, not the value of the article outside India.

My sister likely to get a Haier LCD TV 32in size - it is itself a gift; from the younger sister residing abroad. She herself got it as a gift. So I am totally confused about what ./ how to go about this.

Also, there seems to be a conflict on the limits mentioned in these two links:-

Baggage Rules at a glance - CBEC

India baggage rules - duty free allowances

First is official, but ....
Old 4th April 2011, 21:32   #4603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I r

My sister likely to get a Haier LCD TV 32in size - it is itself a gift; from the younger sister residing abroad. She herself got it as a gift. So I am totally confused about what ./ how to go about this.
AFAIK, 32" LCD TV's are duty free. 40" and above attracts duty.

Cheers!
Old 5th April 2011, 00:05   #4604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
It was mentioned that the value is domestic market value, not the value of the article outside India.
Unfortunately that is not specified by law. It is up to customs officer to "value" the item. I have been able to get past Red Channel by carrying a printout of this answer by CBEC

Quote:
Q:
My sister is coming from US to India for a visit for 30 days. She has a US green card but she is a citizen of India. The last time she visited India was more than 1.5 year ago. She bought a microwave oven about a year ago and she is bringing it with her to India. She has a receipt of the purchase date and price (50 dollars) of the microwave oven. She has no other items that are new. Everything else is her clothes and itmes of daily use. According to the customs law can the microwave be considered towards the duty free entitlement of Rs 12000.00
If not how much tax she has to pay.

A:
The Customs have their own pricelist (Usually the manufacturers price, for all known brands). In case the 50 USD price is from a manufacturer/dealer, with original invoice, this should be acceptable to Customs and would be allowed free of duty, within the Rs 12000 limit
Source:
Frequently Asked Questions

At least in Mumbai, they always value things at just above 25k and I pay a duty of 100 Rs or so. This is after they see that all items are in order (and declared at Red Channel), this answer from CBEC is discussed and they just add a nominal duty to get rid of me.
Old 5th April 2011, 18:13   #4605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
My Friend bought a Samsung 5 Series Full HD 32 inch. Model no is LA32C590H1R at 32500 in bangalore.
At which shop your friend purchased this model. I agree i am seeing this thread too late.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks