Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 10:42   #4546
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Guys,does it matter whether your TV is either NTSC,ATSC or PAL capable when you have Tata Sky or similar at home?I dont think so coz its digital connection.
The reason i'm asking is i plan to get LED TV from US.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:11   #4547
Senior - BHPian

VT series accepts 1080p as 60 Hz, but it does not have 3D Sync Out port. So you can buy a Kit like this:

3D Vision Kit

Or you would need a Blu Ray player that has 3D Sync Out port.
Old 21st March 2011, 00:50   #4548
BHPian

Wealth of information here!

I too am on a lookout for a 32" LED/LCD.

Any views on the LG 32LE4600? Croma / Vijay Sales both are offering it for 43,990 / - along with a LG Blue Ray DVD player. A deal worth considering?

I am very tempted to give up on this pursuit of LED TV and go for a 42" Plasma instead. But guess that would be too big for my rented house 18'x10' living room. Plus, the Panasonic plasma x20D is only "HD Ready" and does not have a USB Port. And the additional power consumption, would mostly nullify the price advantage over the period of usage (5 years hopefully?). PQ on the plasma was far better though.
Old 21st March 2011, 09:53   #4549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Guys,does it matter whether your TV is either NTSC,ATSC or PAL capable when you have Tata Sky or similar at home?I dont think so coz its digital connection.
The reason i'm asking is i plan to get LED TV from US.
You cant play it. Although PAL, NTSC etc are analog standards, the output refresh rate is still either at 50 or 60Hz. There might be some other things as well. You may have to use a converter and it may affect the quality of picture

Last edited by srishiva : 21st March 2011 at 09:54.
Old 21st March 2011, 11:27   #4550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes in digital connection, it does not matter at all. Things would work fine with a digital STB.

STB that I have (Hathway cable STB) has option to switch analogue output to NTSC / PAL. So, even Tata Sky / Airtel STBs would have similar options for analogue output as well.
Old 21st March 2011, 11:29   #4551
BHPian

Rather than investing on a Router for repeater functionality, I invested on 10M telephone cable and 1M Ethernet cable for connecting my LCD to my router.

Airtel Modem > Belkin Router > LCD (Wired)

My laptop is connected Wireless to Belkin and installed PC Share Manager and now my TV is detected under source. Whatever I share(Music, Videos, Photos) are now accessible from my TV.

Now, since some of the videos are not compatible with my TV, can I play them in WMP12 and stream them to my TV? This way, I can save some time in converting the not supported movies.

I have enabled and configured WMP12 to stream, but do not know how to view them in my LCD.

Anybody???
Old 21st March 2011, 11:57   #4552
BHPian

The only way to play non-supported formats is to use a media server software that does transcode to a supported format. Try using 'Twonky Media Server' or 'Mezzemo'.

Once you install and configure the server it will shown in the server listing in the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Rather than investing on a Router for repeater functionality, I invested on 10M telephone cable and 1M Ethernet cable for connecting my LCD to my router.

Airtel Modem > Belkin Router > LCD (Wired)

My laptop is connected Wireless to Belkin and installed PC Share Manager and now my TV is detected under source. Whatever I share(Music, Videos, Photos) are now accessible from my TV.

Now, since some of the videos are not compatible with my TV, can I play them in WMP12 and stream them to my TV? This way, I can save some time in converting the not supported movies.

I have enabled and configured WMP12 to stream, but do not know how to view them in my LCD.

Anybody???
Old 21st March 2011, 13:30   #4553
BHPian

@djkher
Thanks. Downloaded and installed Mezzmo. Waiting for it to unleash with my LCD once I reach home. Will update.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:37   #4554
Team-BHP Support

Guys, an update.

I went ahead and bought the 32" LE5300 LED TV from LG. It cost me Rs. 34900 apprx at the LG exclusive store here in Bangalore. I bought it on an EMI option, paying just 500 bucks as downpayment.

Now, coming to why this model, which is only HD ready, and not FHD with wireless LAN features:
- I tried comparing the output with another FHD model from LG for the same HD input. For the life of me, i could not make out the difference.
- The suggestion/fact that for smaller screen sizes the difference in picture quality isnt too obvious.
- Apprx 10k price difference to the next FHD variant
- Lazy person like me is not too inclined to connect to a wireless network to watch TV and so on...
- Plays Divx HD, so seemed to satisfy my requirements.

Thanks a lot to those who contributed with their suggestions and opinions.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:50   #4555
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, buy a media player next time you are bitten by upgradities. That would bring entertainment to next level.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:06   #4556
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase benbsb29. Good decision keeping in mind what is the purpose and need of yours.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:21   #4557
BHPian

Hi
Thank you yajaman99, anilisanil and v.anand.
Though LG promises lots of goodies i felt the colours in plasma are a bit more pleasing to the eyes with comparision to LEG. I will be using it for downloaded contents mostly, gaming and occasional HD TV. I feel i should go along with plasma especially the Full HD from panasonic. Price wise the panasonic people refused to give any discount citing that this is a new product but offered airtel HD free of cost along with it. But watching downloaded compressed contents on both the TVs are not good unless you tweak it. Before i plonk a lakh of rupees on the product i am trying to get the best deal from other outlets. Everywhere the sales personnel are pushing the LG LED instead of the plasma and very few outlets have panasonic plasma.
@anil : When you said to compare picture quality, resolution, frame rate etc is there anything else that i should look for.
Another question is i want to hook up my PC to the TV, can it be done without wires.
Old 21st March 2011, 19:04   #4558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes in digital connection, it does not matter at all. Things would work fine with a digital STB.

STB that I have (Hathway cable STB) has option to switch analogue output to NTSC / PAL. So, even Tata Sky / Airtel STBs would have similar options for analogue output as well.
I doubt my TS STB has that kind of option.But there is another good option to bypass NTSC/PAL thingy is to buy HD version of DTH e.g. TataSky HD which has HDMI output that will go into HDMI input of any TV.
Old 21st March 2011, 19:58   #4559
BANNED

While on the topic of wireless or Internet enabled TVs - please beware these TVs have major security flaws. Do not surf your critical email or bank accounts on an Internet enabled TV.

FYI: Mocana Announces Internet TV Security Study « Mocana DeviceLine Blog

Just a heads up

--Ragul
Old 21st March 2011, 20:01   #4560
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt my TS STB has that kind of option.But there is another good option to bypass NTSC/PAL thingy is to buy HD version of DTH e.g. TataSky HD which has HDMI output that will go into HDMI input of any TV.
According to some sources, HDMI will work only if your TV is capable of supporting HDMI inputs of both 50/60 Hz. In the US, signal is of 60 Hz, but in India its 50 Hz (due to electricity cycles being 50/60 Hz respectively).

If you can switch you HDMI profile to accept input of 50 Hz, then your TV will work with a HDMI signal in India. Otherwise, a VGA input will work wherein you can manually change resolution of VGA input to 50/60 Hz.

I have connected my cable to the STB and connected STB to a TV Tuner box with VGA output, which is connected to my NTSC only TV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks