Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 20:51   #4531
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
When comparing features for LED TVs, i felt for a similar price range, a LG TV seems to be more loaded over a comparable Samsung.

Do others feel the same, or is it just me?
You are certainly right in your analysis but the PQ offered by Sony and Samsung is better compared to LG.

All one needs is a external media player which plays all formats, more than even LG. Any HD TV purchase is accompanied by decent Home theater, Blue ray player, and such in which case, the single most important factor would be PQ IMO.
Old 17th March 2011, 21:27   #4532
BHPian

Hi bhpians,
One question- Would you prefer LG 47"LED with blue ray player, HDMI cable with couple of blue ray movies thrown into the package for 76 thousand or a 50" Plasma from panasonic with skype and no freebies for 1.07lakh. The usage will be few HD channels and mostly movies. Cheers

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 17th March 2011 at 21:28.
Old 17th March 2011, 21:45   #4533
Senior - BHPian

Quick question:
Would LED/3DLED TV's bought from the US work in India? I understand that since US electronics work on 120V, I would need a converter to convert it to 240V. But apart from that, any issue that I should be concerned about? The deals offered in the US are too tempting and I am thinking of asking a relative to get one for me. Probably a 46 inch Samsung LED/3DLED!
Old 17th March 2011, 22:20   #4534
BHPian

@drraj - it would be my personal opinion to go for the 47" LED. When you says movies do you mean DVDs , Blurays or downloaded content. With any LCD/LED/Plasma to get the best use out of them the right input is required. Hence now the HD craze with the DTH providers. The free bluray player will really enhance your viewing.
If you want to use skype i think you can hook up the laptop/computer to the TV with a bluetooth headset and webcam.
Once again this is just my opinion.

@9thsphinx - i think in this same thread there is mention of the TVs imported from the US running NTSC format and would be an issue. So its not just the power but the broadcasting standard as well.

Last edited by yajaman99 : 17th March 2011 at 22:30.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:25   #4535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi bhpians,
One question- Would you prefer LG 47"LED with blue ray player, HDMI cable with couple of blue ray movies thrown into the package for 76 thousand or a 50" Plasma from panasonic with skype and no freebies for 1.07lakh. The usage will be few HD channels and mostly movies. Cheers
Check things like motion flow rate, resolution and other things. On the face of it LG LED seems a better bet!

For 1.07 you can get smaller but advanced TVs than a Plasma.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:06   #4536
BHPian

^^@anilisanil, plasmas don't mean they are less advanced by any stretch of imagination. The PQ of Panasonic V and VT20D series are unmatched when compared with any available in India.

@drraj, if Plasma, get Panasonic. They are not as slim or pretty as competition visually and consume more power compared to LED/LCD's but the PQ's of those two models are absolutely terrific with HD content.

However, I don't see much use of features like skype etc. on a TV personally, but the price mentioned on 50 plasma can be bargained further down IMO.

LG is not a bad choice too, its terrific VFM. Just that PQ wise its not the best. Its preferable to get a blueray player with any HD TV, consider another 10k for it in your budget if not going for LG.

Last edited by v.anand : 17th March 2011 at 23:09.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:08   #4537
BHPian

OT - went to a croma today to buy a fridge; while waiting there started looking through the tvs. HD football content on LED tvs is just brilliant. But all of them are priced above 60k! But way too much for something which will be eclipsed with another industry standard in 3 years time. Drool worthy yes, but ..just too costly

What happened to those generations of lcd/ plasma 40 inches for 42k?
Old 17th March 2011, 23:13   #4538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
^^@anilisanil, plasmas don't mean they are less advanced by any stretch of imagination. The PQ of Panasonic V and VT20D series are unmatched when compared with any available in India.

@drraj, if Plasma, get Panasonic. They are not as slim or pretty as competition visually and consume more power compared to LED/LCD's but the PQ's of those two models are absolutely terrific with HD content.

However, I don't see much use of features like skype etc. on a TV personally, but the price mentioned on 50 plasma can be bargained further down IMO.

LG is not a bad choice too, its terrific VFM. Just that PQ wise its not the best. Its preferable to get a blueray player with any HD TV, consider another 10k for it in your budget if not going for LG.
I am having a bad day on forum, seems like!! When did I say Plasmas have bad picture quality? All I said was that they do not have advanced features that LEDs have(which you too seem to agree)!! I am going back to learn my English again, in all stretches of imagination!!

Last edited by anilisanil : 17th March 2011 at 23:16.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:41   #4539
BHPian

^^Advanced features of LED? What are they? Media playing capability wise, LG holds an advantage over all other manufacturers, be it plasma or led. But all can be set right and more with just one device, HD Media player like Asus O Play which retails for less than 4k which plays all available media formats onto TV.

IMO the biggest feature of a TV is PQ. Nothing else matters.

This discussion seems to have the potential of yet another Plasma Vs LCD/LED battle.

Last edited by v.anand : 17th March 2011 at 23:42.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:46   #4540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
that they do not have advanced features that LEDs
Features such as DLNA / Image processing / Web browsing are not related to Plasma / LED / LCD. All three technologies have TVs with these features. In fact feature board of LEDs and Plasmas are interchangeable is some series (Just like Vista and Swift D has same drivetrain).

E.g. this Plasma has the same boards and features : Image quality that exceeds beyond reality - PS50C6500 - Plasma TV - Television | SAMSUNG

Same is the case with Panasonic Plasmas and LEDs.
Old 18th March 2011, 09:55   #4541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Features such as DLNA / Image processing / Web browsing are not related to Plasma / LED / LCD. All three technologies have TVs with these features. In fact feature board of LEDs and Plasmas are interchangeable is some series (Just like Vista and Swift D has same drivetrain).

E.g. this Plasma has the same boards and features : Image quality that exceeds beyond reality - PS50C6500 - Plasma TV - Television | SAMSUNG

Same is the case with Panasonic Plasmas and LEDs.
I stand corrected. Thanks mate! I do not know how but I thought Plasmas were not upgraded with these features. Apologies!

edit: Is 3d available on plasma too? I did not check elsewhere!

Last edited by anilisanil : 18th March 2011 at 10:00.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:14   #4542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it is not full HD (It is HD ready which means it has 13** X 7** resolution, against full HD which is 1920 X 1080).

If you are buying this for around 35-40K I suggest you look out for Samsung LED(5 series), it has a few better options like DLNA etc!
Thanks a lot, Anil for your reply. I am amazed at how i managed to bypass the fact that this model is only Hd ready. I somehow assumed it to be full HD. I have thereby dropped this model, which is an entry level LED, and now will look at LCDs.

From the Samsung LCDs in 5 series, the only ones in my budget are LA32C590H1R and LA32C530F1R. Somehow i dont find both of these interesting.

I would rather prefer the LG 32" LD650. Comments?

P.S. : I have a budget restriction of 40k.
Old 18th March 2011, 11:07   #4543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
edit: Is 3d available on plasma too? I did not check elsewhere!
Yes, since Plasmas are 600 Hz or better 3D is just another feature add. 3D is available off the shelf for some plasmas, others just have ports to connect 3D glass controllers.
Old 18th March 2011, 11:30   #4544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks a lot, Anil for your reply. I am amazed at how i managed to bypass the fact that this model is only Hd ready. I somehow assumed it to be full HD. I have thereby dropped this model, which is an entry level LED, and now will look at LCDs.

From the Samsung LCDs in 5 series, the only ones in my budget are LA32C590H1R and LA32C530F1R. Somehow i dont find both of these interesting.

I would rather prefer the LG 32" LD650. Comments?

P.S. : I have a budget restriction of 40k.
there is no use of buying a full hd tv in 32 inch , you cannot make out difference in picture quality unless you are sitting 1.5 feet from the screen.
The breaking point is about 45" screen.
There 100's of arictles online about this , do google it , before putting your money down.

http://www.hifivision.com/television...-ready-tv.html

Last edited by ms001 : 18th March 2011 at 11:39. Reason: added url
Old 19th March 2011, 00:31   #4545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes, since Plasmas are 600 Hz or better 3D is just another feature add. 3D is available off the shelf for some plasmas, others just have ports to connect 3D glass controllers.
Thats news to me. Can you kindly elaborate a bit more on this?

Panasonic VT series are 3D models, V series are full HD ones. Can V series be made 3D capable too?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks