Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 16:58   #4501
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I own a Samsung 40" C550 model and tried to do a firmware update. But, when I insert the USB and my TV scans it, it says no file to update.

I have updated my firmware 3 months back using the same USB. But at that time, when executing the firmware file d/l from samsung, it extracted a single folder. But this time, it extracted 2 folders. I tried with both the folders, but in vain.

I double checked if the firmware is for my specific model and redownloaded them, but still no luck.

Has anybody tried to update their firmware and stuck like me?
Happens to me too, mine is UA**C5000 LED. May be the firmware is for different platform. Samsung has their firmware on two different OS. I am completely guessing this and have no firm idea on why it is failing.

Another issue I face is that I am unable to control media through a DLNA controller, though my TV acts well as media renderer, it does not allow other servers to control it which is why I am never able to use the "Play to" function of windows 7 WMP 12. Anyone who has any idea at all of this, please help.
Old 15th March 2011, 17:42   #4502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
@dreams - i have the same TV however i was able to update the firmware a few months back. I remember having two folders when i did it last time, but the TV detected it and i selected Firmware update. Is there a new f/w released now? Let me chk the site
The new firmware is released on Jan 2011 and available on their website. Damn it doesnt work this time. Will contacting their support provide any luck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Happens to me too, mine is UA**C5000 LED. May be the firmware is for different platform. Samsung has their firmware on two different OS. I am completely guessing this and have no firm idea on why it is failing.

Another issue I face is that I am unable to control media through a DLNA controller, though my TV acts well as media renderer, it does not allow other servers to control it which is why I am never able to use the "Play to" function of windows 7 WMP 12. Anyone who has any idea at all of this, please help.
I am sure, I have selected the right model and its firmware. And under the firmware, only 2 options are available. One the firmware itself and the other the manual.
Old 15th March 2011, 18:40   #4503
BHPian

@Anil -Not sure if this is what you looking for. I have used Windows 7 and Windows Media center with my Samsung 40"C550 LCD and is it able to run through the content via the TV's remote.
Old 15th March 2011, 18:58   #4504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Anil -Not sure if this is what you looking for. I have used Windows 7 and Windows Media center with my Samsung 40"C550 LCD and is it able to run through the content via the TV's remote.
Yeah that happens. But playing music like that is a pain.

Windows 7 has a new feature where we can control our TV from WMP itself. Just right click a file and it has a play to option. I am unable to control anything else than volume from there. The same happens with J river Media Center and Twonky, so I am assuming that there is some inherent fault with DLNA renderer in Samsungs, unless anyone else who has this facility could test and let me know.
Old 15th March 2011, 19:53   #4505
BHPian

Quote:
hey pal, how do you do that? I havent explored much in my TV other than connecting myy HDD and playing movie from it.
Old 15th March 2011, 21:06   #4506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey pal, how do you do that? I havent explored much in my TV other than connecting myy HDD and playing movie from it.
Is your TV DLNA enabled? The easiest way to check is if it has an LAN Port behind it. Or may be check the users manual. You need to have a router at home for you to be able to use this feature.

Basically you can stream (using a DLNA server) all your media that is there on your PC to your DMR (Digital media renderer, which is your DLNA enabled TV) when both are connected to a router (wired or otherwise).
Old 15th March 2011, 22:00   #4507
BHPian

Thanks anil. Yes, I do have the LAN port behind my LCD. Infact, I am using the same TV model, used by yajaman99.
Old 15th March 2011, 22:07   #4508
BHPian

@Dreams - i have posted the setup i have used some pages back. Please checkout post #4339.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2212079
Old 15th March 2011, 22:20   #4509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Dreams - i have posted the setup i have used some pages back. Please checkout post #4339.

Just a suggestion

PC share manager is a better option than WMP 12. In PC share manager you can get subtitles and also you can resume play from where you have stopped last time.

PS3 Media server is good if you want to watch your picasa albums (for tvs with no internet tv but with internet connection, needs some configuration though). Also, PSM server supports .CBR and .CBZ files which is very handy for viewing comics.
Old 16th March 2011, 10:26   #4510
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks pal. Will go through it. BTW, my setup is more or less the same.

I have Airtel BB, with a belkin wifi router. But the router and TV is opposite to each other and the distance between is 10 feet.

Hard wiring is a pain now. So, anybody has used the wifi dongle from Samsung? From where can I get it and what would be the approx. cost. And, is it worth spending it?
Old 16th March 2011, 11:46   #4511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Just a suggestion

PC share manager is a better option than WMP 12. In PC share manager you can get subtitles and also you can resume play from where you have stopped last time.

PS3 Media server is good if you want to watch your picasa albums (for tvs with no internet tv but with internet connection, needs some configuration though). Also, PSM server supports .CBR and .CBZ files which is very handy for viewing comics.
I have ordered Samsung Wifi dongle from Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands. I have two Wifi routers at home but both are "G" routers. I need to buy one "N" router for my home.

This all setup is for my Samsung LED TV 32C5000. Problem is I have Windows Vista in my laptop and there is no WMP 12 available for Vista. I may have to download different media server like Twonky, Samsung proprietary one for enabling AllShare.

Waiting for Wifi dongle to arrive then I can actually start experiments.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:54   #4512
BHPian

@anuj

How much did you pay? When checked, the total cost comes to around 5K.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:54   #4513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks pal. Will go through it. BTW, my setup is more or less the same.

I have Airtel BB, with a belkin wifi router. But the router and TV is opposite to each other and the distance between is 10 feet.

Hard wiring is a pain now. So, anybody has used the wifi dongle from Samsung? From where can I get it and what would be the approx. cost. And, is it worth spending it?

I have UTStarcomm Wifi router from BSNL. My configuration is Laptop to Router is wireless and Router to TV is wired. If wireless streaming is working fine one way, it should work the same from router to TV as well.

You can get in touch with Samsung to order the product I guess, or like above you can order it online. Not just Samsung, any wireless dongle should work just fine.
Old 16th March 2011, 12:58   #4514
BHPian

@anil
I am sure, other wifi dongle doesnt work in the TV as it is specifically mentioned in their manual. As well as, for a wifi dongle to work, a driver is needed, and in Samsung TV, they have only their wifi dongle drivers installed or only their dongle is supported.

Just made a calculation, the dongle if got from a shop should cost anywhere around 3 to 4k and like above, if I order through online, its shooting to 5k.

Better to get some telephone cable around 10 feet and get my modem and router moved under my TV. This seems a best bet. Will work on it today and update here how it goes.
Old 16th March 2011, 13:05   #4515
Team-BHP Support

When comparing features for LED TVs, i felt for a similar price range, a LG TV seems to be more loaded over a comparable Samsung.

Do others feel the same, or is it just me?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks