Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 11:23   #4426
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Yesterday bought the Samsung 40C650 from Adishwar for 59K. Got only the Dish TV box as free. Is this a good price ?. Girias were quoting 63K as final and no freebies other than the Dish TV package.

Today they will deliver the TV and wants to know the stpes to see how many hrs it has been ON. Basically to check if it is a used or display unit.

Regards,
Gopi.
You have got fair deal for 40C650 6 Series LCD. This is best price in Bangalore.
Old 21st February 2011, 21:08   #4427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Yesterday bought the Samsung 40C650 from Adishwar for 59K. Got only the Dish TV box as free. Is this a good price ?. Girias were quoting 63K as final and no freebies other than the Dish TV package.

Today they will deliver the TV and wants to know the stpes to see how many hrs it has been ON. Basically to check if it is a used or display unit.

Regards,
Gopi.
Got the TV delivered today. When I switched on , I didn't get the welcome screen. It was showing no input as I didn't connect my Tatasky.

To see the hours it has switched on, I followed the below steps, but not sure whether I got the info.
While in standby, pressed the buttons.

Info>menu>mute>power. I captured the resulted screen using my mobile. It shows some date which I think is the manufacturing date as 2010-9-11. Below that it gave as Reading:1024.

Not able to find the hours it was switched on. If any one has tried this on C650, pls let me know.

I callled up the dealer and informed about the Welcome screen not coming. He readily agreed to bring another one tomorrow and will check it.
Old 22nd February 2011, 09:35   #4428
MCR
BHPian

I am lookig to buy a Full HD 32inch LCD TV. I have narrowed down on the following sets;

1. Sony EX400 (Airtel HD box free)
2. LG LD460 (Tata Sky HD box free)
3. Samsung 32C530 (Dish Hd box free)

But I am unable to finalise since, each of them is priced at 33K and each of them come with a free HD box.
However, I would like to have Tata Sky HD since I have been a Tata Sky customer for 3 years now. This means I have go with LG LD460. How is the Tv as compared to others above?

I have visited Pai, Viveks, Adiswar, Big bazaar, Samsung world, Sony world and LG world. But the amazing thing is that side by side all the TV's have the same performance.

I am slightly inclined towards Sony but not interested in Airtel HD box.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:06   #4429
BHPian

@ MCR: Sony and Samsung are fairly similar in specs and picture quality. Its the Bravia engine that sets the Sony apart for true to life colours.

I have an EX and am happy with it. But given a choice I might've gone for the LG.

Two reasons: LG units have far better sound quality and output; a region where most Sony and Samsung etc fail to deliver; leaving the only option of a Home Theatre setup.

Well, also the fact that you are opting for a 32" I can safely assume this might be for your bedroom and you might not want to clutter it with a speaker setup.

Second being it comes bundled with Tata Sky; and yes their after sales are miles ahead of both Airtel and Dish. Performance however is at par.

Do look up your nearby EZone store for a great deal, they always have the best when it comes to LG.

Last edited by mandheers : 22nd February 2011 at 10:07. Reason: typo
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:22   #4430
BHPian

Ppl,

Need some information on getting LCD/LED Tvs from outside India. Series 5 LED TVS from Samsung/Sony 40 Inch come to around 700 to 800USD in Vietnam and am told the prices back home in India is pretty Steep. A difference of 20,000 INR atleast

Also people who have taken these LCD tvs have told me that the customs people have Indian MRP prices for all the brand and models with them and calculate the duty at the rate of 20% on excess of 400USD( allowed limit for electronic goods) and the Bill Amount.

A colleague of mine by giving someting like 2000 Rs or 3000 Rs to the customs had got his 32 inch LED TV ( he had bought a 32 inch LED tv for 550USD while the same was around 1000 USD in india) cleared even by rule you are supposed to pay 13K as customs duty.

Can anyone share their experience or share information on the below

1) What are the actual rules for customs duty on LCD Tv/ LED TV/Electronic goods
2) If I buy a LED TV in Vietnam ( outside India)and use it for few months and then take it back to India, what are the rules then. Am hoping they let me take it to india without any duty ( I am sure they may have some depreciation chart )

Inputs appreciated.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:34   #4431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I am lookig to buy a Full HD 32inch LCD TV. I have narrowed down on the following sets;

1. Sony EX400 (Airtel HD box free)
2. LG LD460 (Tata Sky HD box free)
3. Samsung 32C530 (Dish Hd box free)
I am looking to buy a 32inch LCD. Please let me know if all of the above are 100Mhz and also when are you planning to finalize. We can buy it togeather and get a better discount. I have pinged you my number.
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:17   #4432
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
@ MCR: Sony and Samsung are fairly similar in specs and picture quality. Its the Bravia engine that sets the Sony apart for true to life colours.
I have an EX and am happy with it. But given a choice I might've gone for the LG.
Two reasons: LG units have far better sound quality and output; a region
Second being it comes bundled with Tata Sky; and yes their after sales are miles ahead of both Airtel and Dish. Performance however is at par.
Thanks for the feedback mandheers. Yes, even I was impressed with the sound qualitiy of LG. May be I will stick to LG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I am looking to buy a 32inch LCD. Please let me know if all of the above are 100Mhz and also when are you planning to finalize. We can buy it togeather and get a better discount. I have pinged you my number.
I am planning to buy it somewhere near 10th of March. Yes, I already have a colleague who is buying 40inch LCD. So all three of us can club together for a better offer, I guess.
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:46   #4433
Distinguished - BHPian

I was the one who was supposed to buy the 40" LCD with MCR.
In the last 5 minutes, I have decided to hold my decision.
The 40" LCD will only be put to use in April...SO I've decided to wait for any changes in the models since in electronics overnight changes are a commonplace.

I already have a 32" LG LCD. Its one year old.
Whe I bought that, The deciding factor between LG and Samsung was the sound.The 500W PMPO on my LG had the best sound.
Sony last year was a bit high on price and hence off-radar.
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:51   #4434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
1) What are the actual rules for customs duty on LCD Tv/ LED TV/Electronic goods
2) If I buy a LED TV in Vietnam ( outside India)and use it for few months and then take it back to India, what are the rules then. Am hoping they let me take it to india without any duty ( I am sure they may have some depreciation chart )
This was a feedback from my friend who came from Bahrain. So, please check with official inputs if you can get any

No duty to be paid for the LCD TVs. But for LED, yes you should.

The max size allowed is 32". For 40+ you need to put it in cargo.

Technically, you can bring in your old items depending on the Visa. I mean, if you come in a business visa for short term, and claim of getting back used items, then it mostly wont work. You need a long term visa.
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:44   #4435
naj
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Hi!

1. Sony EX400 (Airtel HD box free)- No. Ex500 is 100hz- Pune price 35.5k
2. LG LD460 (Tata Sky HD box free)- No. LD 550 is 100 hz. Pune price- 37k

Cheers,
naj
Old 23rd February 2011, 08:21   #4436
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback mandheers. Yes, even I was impressed with the sound qualitiy of LG. May be I will stick to LG.
Decided. Its going to be LG32LD460. Comes with a free Tatasky HD box. I just need pay Rs.750/- for installation / commisioning. Final Price of the TV,above 30K but less than 33K.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:22   #4437
BHPian

Quote:
Decided. Its going to be LG32LD460. Comes with a free Tatasky HD box. I just need pay Rs.750/- for installation / commisioning. Final Price of the TV,above 30K but less than 33K.
Congrats on your acquisition MCR!
Old 23rd February 2011, 20:43   #4438
BHPian

Re: 1K for LG LE5300 42" LED and 84K for LG LE8500 42" Full LED?

Croma is quoting me 61K for LG LE5300 42" LED and 84K for LG LE8500 42" Full LED. Is this a good deal or could it be better? Pl. advise.
Old 23rd February 2011, 20:47   #4439
BHPian

An Interesting write up I found on internet which is worth reading before you put your money on any of those so called "LED" TVs:

If you thought all LED TVs were created equal, you're underestimating the power of confusion as a marketing tool. In their continuing efforts to compete against the picture quality advantages of plasma-based flat-panel TVs, makers of LCDs TVs have introduced numerous new technologies. The most successful in our opinion is full-array LED backlighting with local dimming. When you see the words "LED TV" in an ad, it definitely refers to an LCD TV with an LED backlight, but what type of LED backlight and how it's configured make all the difference.

Below we've gathered reviews of Six different "LED TVs" that provide examples of all four LED backlight configurations, but first we'll provide a bit of context. All LCD-based TVs rely on a backlight of some kind to illuminate the liquid-crystal panel itself. The most common use fluorescent backlights, known as CCFL, but a growing number feature LED backlights instead. LEDs use somewhat less power, can enable thinner flat-panel cabinets, and--crucially for TV makers--provide a great excuse to charge more money. But make no mistake: despite the misleading marketing, LED TVs are just LCD TVs with fancy backlights.

Unfortunately for TV shoppers, the confusion just increases from there. To help cut through the clutter we're going to lengthen our descriptions beyond the "LED TV" shorthand, and tell you how picture quality generally compares with standard LCD. More details are available in our LED TVs: 10 things you need to know companion piece as well as the individual reviews.

Full-array without local dimming: The rarest of the bunch but the most familiar in concept. These models are just like standard LCD-based TVs aside from the fact that the CCFL backlight is replaced by LEDs. The "full-array" means that the LEDs themselves are arranged behind the entire LCD panel, not just along the edge.
Picture quality impact: No difference compared with standard LCD.

Edge-lit without local dimming: The most common today. Chances are if you see an "LED TV" advertised, it's this variety, which was first widely introduced by Samsung in 2009, then imitated in 2010 by just about everyone else. It's characterized by thin cabinet designs--around just an inch or even less in depth--that lead to decreased weight in shipping and wall-mounting, along with increased bragging rights (although we fail to see much practical appeal versus a standard, 3-to-5-inch-deep flat-panel TV). Unlike full-array models, the LEDs on these sets are arranged only along the edge of the LCD panel, and can illuminate the center and other areas of the screen using so-called "light guides."
Picture quality impact: No major advantage over standard LCD, and can have even more uniformity problems, such as brighter edges compared with the middle.

Full-array with local dimming: The original and still the best. There are exceptions, but in general, TVs with this LED backlight configuration are the best-performing LCDs you can buy. They're similar to full-array models, but the individual zones of LEDs can be dimmed or brightened independently.
Picture quality impact: Can have significantly better black levels and uniformity than normal LCD, but will also exhibit "blooming," or stray illumination, to some extent.

Edge-lit with local dimming: A new innovation for 2010, currently available on select models from Samsung, LG and Sony. The idea is to allow some dimming of the screen in independent areas without having to place LEDs behind the LCD panel, just along the edge.
Picture quality impact: In our tests, the Samsung preformed relatively well and the LG did not, although neither matched the picture quality of full-array with local dimming and both exhibited more blooming.

Bottom line

Don't just rush into buying a so called "LED TV", ie. without first finding out the details of what kind of "LED" array the TV has. Also, do not assume these so called "LED TVs" to be neccesarily better than Plasmas or for that matter, even the regular 'CFL' lit LCD TVs.
Old 23rd February 2011, 21:00   #4440
Senior - BHPian

Please provide source of this article.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks