Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2010, 01:48   #4036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
Check out Panasonic 32U20 as well. You can get it for <30k if you bargain well.
I am planning to buy one myself and pretty close to buying the 32U20 model. I am also looking at LG 32LD550 and 32LH60YR. Any reviews on these models will help.
Hey Thanks for the pointer. I saw Panasonic 32X15 today and that seems to be better than the Samsung C450. Will have a look at the U20 also. Any idea how much 32X15 should cost? I was quoted 29.5k after hard bargain. Is this a good price or can be lesser than this?
Old 17th October 2010, 10:10   #4037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Its purely subjective I think, your money will not be transferred to the seller until and unless you give a good feed back. You can ask for a refund if the item is used beyond a particular hours and that doesnt implies whether you are the first buyer or not. Seller will be clearly stating the item condition, if its different from the item you've received, you can ask for the refund or replacement.
No, even in case of bad feedback money would be sent to seller.

Only if item is not shipped (and received) within specified time limits, ebay automatically cancels the transaction and refunds complete amount.

In rest of cases, each case is decided individually.

Only remedy is to either :

1. Somehow not accept delivery (if courier allowes some tiem to turn on the set and test)
2. Explain the situation to seller + ebay support

None of these is a pleasant task.

If the seller allows "pay and pick up", that would be the only way out. Since you will have an option to test actual set before making the payment.
Old 18th October 2010, 11:14   #4038
BHPian

Toshiba or Panasonic ( for Lcd )?

Hi Team,

I am planning to buy 32 inch LCD for < 25K. I got following deals:
1. Panasonic 32X9D for 25K
2. Toshiba 32EV700E for 21 K
3. Toshiba 32RV600E for 27K

No.1 and 2 are HD Ready. No.3 is Full HD.

I had few questions:
1. Is Toshiba a reliable brand for LCDs? Especially from After Sales Services perspective?
2. Which out of the above 3 would you recommend? Any experiences related to Picture quality of Toshiba and Panasonic?
3. Panasonic does not have USB interface. It only has SD card reader. Does this become a major handicap?

I would really appreciate quick response since I am planning to complete the deal today.
Old 18th October 2010, 13:10   #4039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
Hi Team,

No.1 and 2 are HD Ready. No.3 is Full HD.

I had few questions:
1. Is Toshiba a reliable brand for LCDs? Especially from After Sales Services perspective?
2. Which out of the above 3 would you recommend? Any experiences related to Picture quality of Toshiba and Panasonic?
3. Panasonic does not have USB interface. It only has SD card reader. Does this become a major handicap?

I would really appreciate quick response since I am planning to complete the deal today.
I would always go for full HD panels. HD ready are normally lower resolution. With full HD panel prices dropping there is no rationale in not buying HD.

Please inquire around your location to determine after sales service.
Old 18th October 2010, 13:22   #4040
Senior - BHPian

At 32 inch TV you won't be able to see any real benefit of Full HD panel over a HD ready panel. You'll have to sit at closer than 3 ft distance to spot any difference.

Anyway, about Toshiba and panasonic, I think Panasonic will have a better service network in case of something goes wrong. I can vouch for Panasonic Plasma quality but dunno about the LCD's although I'm also planning to buy a Panasonic LCD for my parents. Planning for 32X15 as this has a 100Hz IPS panel. U20 is available for 33k which is Full HD model but as I said earlier that there won't be any visible difference I'm more inclined towards saving that extra 3.5k and get the X15. Also U20 is not a 100Hz panel so there will be a slight problem of with the scrolling text and high speed movement.
Old 18th October 2010, 13:52   #4041
BHPian

Thanks Aroy and Kaushik.

The market for Toshiba LCD appears quite small. Hence, I have the apprehensions for the After Sales Service.

Panasonic , on the other hand is stronger brand. However,Toshiba has VFM offerings.

Anyway, would you want to recommend any other brand/model which may fit my criteria of :
- 32 inch
- <= 25K
- Full HD or HD Ready
Old 18th October 2010, 14:18   #4042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Its purely subjective I think, your money will not be transferred to the seller until and unless you give a good feed back. You can ask for a refund if the item is used beyond a particular hours and that doesnt implies whether you are the first buyer or not. Seller will be clearly stating the item condition, if its different from the item you've received, you can ask for the refund or replacement.
Have you really gone through this experience? If not, I would call this as hoax e-Bay India customer support is absolutely pathetic.

In fact, the worst that I have seen so far even if compared with a dingy roadside shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Only if item is not shipped (and received) within specified time limits, ebay automatically cancels the transaction and refunds complete amount.
1. Somehow not accept delivery (if courier allowes some tiem to turn on the set and test)
2. Explain the situation to seller + ebay support
Getting refund in case of wrong shipment is distant dream. And I would not count on eBay India Customer Support for anything. They are as good as useless (they are more keen on closing the case "somehow" than being of help to you).

Apologies for OT post, but I had to correct the perception here (based on my personal experience).

Last edited by RX135 : 18th October 2010 at 14:19.
Old 18th October 2010, 14:59   #4043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aroy and Kaushik.

The market for Toshiba LCD appears quite small. Hence, I have the apprehensions for the After Sales Service.

Panasonic , on the other hand is stronger brand. However,Toshiba has VFM offerings.

Anyway, would you want to recommend any other brand/model which may fit my criteria of :
- 32 inch
- <= 25K
- Full HD or HD Ready
Hi Pranav,
I've not seen the Toshiba TV's, so I would refrain from commenting on them. They might be good and considering the low price they might be VFM product but I've no idea about them.
For 25k price range you might have a limited number of TV's to consider. I would say, increase budget a bit and go for a better spec'd model. Another TV that might come closer your budget is Samsung C450 (27-28k). Panasonic X24 also would be of the same range of (27-28k).
Old 18th October 2010, 15:26   #4044
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone purchased and used a VU television. I am looking at the LC-32V88P - which is a HD-Ready television. No, I am not interested in paying more for a Full-HD television.

Also, a doubt - I see that all HD-Ready televisions are showing their resolution as 1366 x 768 pixels or something to that extent. Aren't HD-Ready televisions supposed to be 1080i resolution televisions? Or are these televisions capable of displaying upto 1920×1080 - cause that is what "true" HD-Ready is! Isn't it?

Last edited by naveenroy : 18th October 2010 at 15:37.
Old 18th October 2010, 15:49   #4045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I just bought a Toshiba 32AV700E LCD for Rs. 22,999/- + a free watch. It looks good in our drawing room. Decision was purely based on price. Because, all electronic gizmos of today aren't dependable after 'repair / service'. Secondly, I thought the illumination source (cold cathode bulb) plays the most important role here...

Among the HD TV's, Samsung appears to be the best.
Old 18th October 2010, 21:11   #4046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Has anyone purchased and used a VU television. I am looking at the LC-32V88P - which is a HD-Ready television. No, I am not interested in paying more for a Full-HD television.

Also, a doubt - I see that all HD-Ready televisions are showing their resolution as 1366 x 768 pixels or something to that extent. Aren't HD-Ready televisions supposed to be 1080i resolution televisions? Or are these televisions capable of displaying upto 1920×1080 - cause that is what "true" HD-Ready is! Isn't it?
If the panel is 1920 then it is HD period. 1080i is the electronics not the panel. The HD ready slogan is a marketing gimmick to sell lower resolution panels. As the price difference between the two is reducing fast, I see no reason to buy HD ready today. Please do some research on the net to find out if HD ready is capable of recieving HD TV broadcasts and/or playing HD movies. We are now at a transition stage, with HD content coming on DTH. Until and unless you plan to keep your TV for a year or so, desist from getting HD ready TV.
Old 18th October 2010, 23:09   #4047
BHPian

A change in thought - looks like 40" will be too big for our Living Room, so thinking about 37 or 32 inchers. However these sizes do not provide 100Hz but 50, even in 6series LED. Does 100Hz really matter if the majority of the Television, we watch, will not be HD sports.

Edit: Ive set a budget of 75K considering the EMI options, that will be thrown during Diwali.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 18th October 2010 at 23:12.
Old 19th October 2010, 00:55   #4048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjebs View Post
I recently purchased a LG LED tv (model 32LE5500). Very satisfied with the picture clarity, though the audio is not that good. I have connected my Philips 5.1 for audio. Any one who has this model please let me know how to use the DLNA and Netcast function.
Thanks
I am planning to buy the same model - LG 32LE5500.
Good to know that you are satisfied with the product.
I am able to find huge difference in price offered by different dealers. Most of them were quoting ~49-50K(big bazaar, ezone, croma, girias etc) in bangalore except two dealers(LG Shoppe & Next) quoting ~44.5-45K.
Finally I got the least quote from Hosur(TN) @42.5K (may be because of the tax difference). I am shocked to see the huge profit margin of ~10K. Planning to get it this week end.
Is the deal (42.5K) okay? I am also pushing him to take back the free Tata Sky offer pack and give further discount of ~900.

Regarding DLNA and Netcast you can get the AN-WF100 WiFi USB adaptor from LG and connect wirelessly to your laptop using the Nero software supplied along with the TV. The same dongle can be used to connect to the wireless lan for watching youtube movies also . I think the cost is ~2700-3000. The dealers does not stock this item - you have to get it through LG service centers only.
Here is the spec sheet for AN-WF100
lg_he_accessory_ss_AN-WF100.pdf
I have enquired about it in all the shops and most of the sales reps are unaware of the feature. Only one guy from ezone was able to explain these features in detail.
Old 19th October 2010, 01:43   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
HD-ready means that the TV can take an HD input which is 1920x1080p (or 1080p as it's called) . Here "p" means progressive. Most of the HD ready sets have also have a native resolution of 1920x1080i (1080i as it's called), "i" means interlaced, along with 720p resolution support (1366x768p in your case). A progressive scan is better than the interlaced. Even though these HD-ready TV's have 1080i resolution it's better to set the source for 720p instead of 1080i as this will give you a better PQ. You can even set your source to 1080p and the TV will downscale it to it's native resolution of 720p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If the panel is 1920 then it is HD period. 1080i is the electronics not the panel. The HD ready slogan is a marketing gimmick to sell lower resolution panels.
Not exactly correct. It's not exactly a slogan or marketing gimmick but actually a representation of the TV's capability. Please read my previous paragraph to understand what I wanted to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As the price difference between the two is reducing fast, I see no reason to buy HD ready today. Please do some research on the net to find out if HD ready is capable of recieving HD TV broadcasts and/or playing HD movies. We are now at a transition stage, with HD content coming on DTH. Until and unless you plan to keep your TV for a year or so, desist from getting HD ready TV.
If a TV is HD-ready then it can always receive HD signals. Period.
And I had mentioned before also and saying it again, you just can't make out the difference in PQ between a HD ready and Full HD TV depending on your viewing distance. For a 32 inch TV there won't be any difference visible unless you sit very close (3ft approx), similarly for 42 inch you need to sit closer than around 5ft distance to notice any difference. I'm not completely correct with the exact distances but you got the drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
A change in thought - looks like 40" will be too big for our Living Room, so thinking about 37 or 32 inchers. However these sizes do not provide 100Hz but 50, even in 6series LED. Does 100Hz really matter if the majority of the Television, we watch, will not be HD sports.

Edit: Ive set a budget of 75K considering the EMI options, that will be thrown during Diwali.
What is your room size and viewing distance? And the purpose of the TV will be watch what kind of source(normal Sat TV/DVD/BD/Gaming)? 100Hz does make a difference if there is fast moving objects. But here I think the refresh rate also plays a big role.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 19th October 2010 at 01:46.
Old 19th October 2010, 08:23   #4050
BHPian

bought a pana 42" x 20 for 40500.
when compared with my other plasma pv8, the picture quality is a bit low for sd viewing.
i have connected it with sun hd and all the 4 hd channels are a treat to watch
guys please suggest me a media player through which i can connect my hard disk to play movies(mkv files) in my new plasma

Last edited by drbabuanand : 19th October 2010 at 08:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks