Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 17:43   #3886
BHPian

There is certainly something fishy about Bravia LCDs that they start giving problems just after the warranty period. We too had a 32 inch Bravia that started behaving erratically just after 1 yr 2 months and finally stopped working. It was hell following up with multiple service center guys and the quotes they gave were enough to give one a heart attack.

It is a different matter that we somehow got it fixed through some contacts on my wife's relatives side but it still cost us 12k.

One thing is for sure, Sony is definitely not getting my next 50K.
Old 30th August 2010, 18:13   #3887
Senior - BHPian

I suspect that Sony has transformed itself from a Manufacturing to a Trading company. Their products have an extremely variable reliability especially in the last couple of years.

We had serious problems with Sony hardware (CD, DVD, Monitors) both consumer as well as computer. Then I shifted to LG and life is cool. I have 2 x 24" computer monitors. One was a showroom display unit six months old. Got a decent discount on it. Within one month there was panel error - two lines always on. LG replaced it with a new panel without a qualm. Now my son has bought a 47" HD TV, and every time there was a requirement, the LG Engineers turned up promptly. My experience with LG panels is that their panels are one of the best and LG electronics does not require stabilizers as all the modern power supplies are switching type with wide voltage input (90-250). What can help is having a spike arrestor of very good quality, the type which will cut out at reasonably high voltage and blow a fuse at very high spike.
Old 30th August 2010, 18:33   #3888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I powered up my Panasonic TH-P50V20D Plasma Display for the first time at my new home last night, connected Tata Sky HD (HDMI), plugged in the PS3. AND BOY!!! WOOOOOOOW!
Thanks FrankMehta for your review of the TV and the satellite tv. Panasonic is one of the best brands when it comes to plasma but I have heard some horror stories about the lack of customer service. Hope those are exaggerated.

By the way, can you share the price you paid for the tv?

Thanks.
Old 4th September 2010, 17:39   #3889
BHPian

Guys I'm getting a Sony EX300 and Samsung C530 (both 32") for 32k approx. Which one is better value?

What ive observed is:
Samsung over Sony
Full HD
USB all format supported

Sony over Samsung
The brand "SONY"
Better quality "blacks" over Samsung
Better Sound

Pl help me out here...have to buy it in a days time.
Thanks.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:18   #3890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by member View Post
Guys I'm getting a Sony EX300 and Samsung C530 (both 32") for 32k approx. Which one is better value?

What ive observed is:
Samsung over Sony
Full HD
USB all format supported

Sony over Samsung
The brand "SONY"
Better quality "blacks" over Samsung
Better Sound

Pl help me out here...have to buy it in a days time.
Thanks.
In my experience Sony charges a premium for its products. Hence if both are same price I would go for the Samsung as it would have better specs. As there are very few HD channels most of the use will be with movies, hence ask for a demo with 1080 movie.

By the way have you tried the LG offerings. LG has better panels and in my experience better after sales service in Delhi, though Chandigarh may be different scene.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:29   #3891
Senior - BHPian

Well Sony is placing products just like Honda as a premium brand with premium pricing in India whereas it is average middle priced brand in the developed market.
I purchased Sony W100 Digicam outside India for 16K few years back and Sony India was pricing it for 31K in India at that time.
After an year or so it went kaput and price quoted by Sony service center to replace PCB was more then my purchase price so it was end of my relationship with Sony.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:02   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well Sony is placing products just like Honda as a premium brand with premium pricing in India whereas it is average middle priced brand in the developed market.
+1 here. I used to be a SONY fan 15 years back, but no more.

I had bought couple of SONY cordless/speaker phones in the past and both went kaput with battery/battery charging problems whereas Uniden served me much better. Eventually, SONY was out of phone business. My SONY home theater system is strictly average, though couple of walkmans/discman bought several years back were good quality ones, and so is SONY Wega TV.

Last edited by RX135 : 6th September 2010 at 12:06.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:15   #3893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
+1 here. I used to be a SONY fan 15 years back, but no more.

I had bought couple of SONY cordless/speaker phones in the past and both went kaput with battery/battery charging problems whereas Uniden served me much better. Eventually, SONY was out of phone business. My SONY home theater system is strictly average, though couple of walkmans/discman bought several years back were good quality ones, and so is SONY Wega TV.
Can i buy uniden cordless phone here in US, and use it in b'lore ? Is there any specifications i need to look in when i buy ? Pl. advise.

Sorry, if this is off-topic here.

Last edited by JMaruru : 6th September 2010 at 12:31.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:35   #3894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Can i buy uniden cordless phone here in US, and use it in b'lore ? Is there any specifications i need to look in when i buy ? Pl. advise.Sorry, if this is off-topic here.
Off topic reply: Other than needing 230v ->110v converter, everything else should work fine. See if you can get one which works with 230v.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:50   #3895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Off topic reply: Other than needing 230v ->110v converter, everything else should work fine. See if you can get one which works with 230v.
Thanks. These days most electronic items come with 110 - 240V range. I should be able to get one, hopefully.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:00   #3896
Team-BHP Support

Its interesting to see so many compaints on this thread about Sony's fall in quality, and ridiculous after sales service. I have no direct experience, but have heard from others about similar issues.

When i purchase an LCD TV, there is no way i am going in for a Sony. Most probably would be a Samsung for me, since i am a happy customer of theirs, owing a fridge CRT TV, and DVD player with absolutely no complaints.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:11   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. These days most electronic items come with 110 - 240V range. I should be able to get one, hopefully.
Low end products targeted for only North American market may not. It is best to check.

Check the warranty conditions. In majority of cases the US warranty for even laptops is not honoured outside US. You have to get International warranty for that.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:16   #3898
BHPian

Quote:
Can i buy uniden cordless phone here in US, and use it in b'lore ? Is there any specifications i need to look in when i buy ? Pl. advise.
Sorry, if this is off-topic here.
I don't have first hand experience with Uniden cordless phones but the following may help you.

I've purchased cordless phones of Panasonic, Sagem, Philips & GE brands from Europe & North America. Unfortunately their Caller ID (CID) features does not work in India. It seems like the CID signalling uses different protocol/frequency on our telecom lines.

Also most of the European models have lower ringer volumes. Even with their highest possible settings, they don't seem to be well suited for our noisy environment.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:53   #3899
BHPian

Pana LED/LCD

Hi Folks
Seems like Pana LED/LCD is out and is now on their website.
Anyone has a view on TH-L32D25?
TH-L32D25 | D Series | Digital AV | Panasonic India
Old 7th September 2010, 00:44   #3900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In my experience Sony charges a premium for its products. Hence if both are same price I would go for the Samsung as it would have better specs. As there are very few HD channels most of the use will be with movies, hence ask for a demo with 1080 movie.

By the way have you tried the LG offerings. LG has better panels and in my experience better after sales service in Delhi, though Chandigarh may be different scene.
Thanks for the feedback Aroy!
Finally have decided on Samsung. Had a demo of LG 32" LCD but wasnt very impressed with the clarity (picture was a little grainy) + am not very fond of the LG Brandname.

BTW anyone heard of the "panel lottery" problem with samsung LCDs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks