Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 00:02   #3781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
@frankmehta, any reason why you got a plasma as against LCD? Plasma is much cheaper but according to me, I dont get much satisfaction out of a plasma as against LCD.
Care to explain what a Plasma is lacking (specially a Panasonic V20) compared to any LCD which is currently available that made you to reach that statement about dissatisfaction? Would really love to know the issues.
Old 26th July 2010, 07:11   #3782
BHPian

on SD transmission, I couldnt find much difference between LCD & Plasma. But on HD, LCD (or LED) is awsome. Apart from technical perspective, the picture quality in LCD is much better than the Plasma. I find some SD channels wherein the pictures looked washed. This is the reason why I picked LCD over Plasma.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:39   #3783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Update-
Went to croma to buy samsung c450.
5 days back they gave me a price of 44k and now its 47.
Wasn't budging from it that samsung has instructed them not to sell below this price.
Disaapointed came back to check with other stores.
Try at some smaller independent dealer , I don't have inside knowledge but this talk of Samsung telling not to sell below XYZ is BS ,
when dealers pick the stock ex-factory they get discounts below the dealer price and then it is the prerogative of dealer to sell at what price he wants but below MRP. I think as Chroma , e-zone are big chains their managements are centralized and thats why they can not offer any individual deals.
Samsung plaza on other hand is independent dealer ( sort of priority dealer) so they are offering as per their own policy.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:50   #3784
Senior - BHPian

Its true atleast I have also heard from the dealers at Delhi that samsung has specifically asked them not to sell below a certain price. I had picked up a C530. Awesome to look at and a cool feature to run movies from the flash drive. The sound output is the only downer.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:10   #3785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Its true atleast I have also heard from the dealers at Delhi that samsung has specifically asked them not to sell below a certain price. I had picked up a C530. Awesome to look at and a cool feature to run movies from the flash drive. The sound output is the only downer.
Yes the sammy C530 performs very well. I am completly satisfied with this LCD.

Some -ve point till now:-

-- Sound output is very low. But clear sound.
-- No woffer in TV.
-- Can not plugin Speaker without a amplifier.(i have pluged in my HT to it and now its sound excellent)

-- Not supported all format of movie from flash drive. (Could not able to play some (Kanaris video format file) downloaded from net.)

How can i able to play this type of content on my TV ??

Till now these above are the limitation found on my TV. Else other is excellent.

HD movie are excellent in comparision to Pany Plasma. This is the only reason i bought this LCD. (i got a very very good(mouthwatering) offer on Pany plasma 42"/50" HD ready from Baner,Pune delear).

And one very important message. VIJAYA Sales also gave me the best offer on this TV. Their customer care is excellent. I have purchased 3 products from them and completly satisfied with them.

I got 4-5 calls from samsung and Vijaya Sales cust care after the purchase.

Thats a good move by both the company.

PS:- I am only a customer. I dont have any type of relation with these above two company.

Last edited by KALINGA : 26th July 2010 at 11:12.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:31   #3786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
on SD transmission, I couldnt find much difference between LCD & Plasma. But on HD, LCD (or LED) is awsome. Apart from technical perspective, the picture quality in LCD is much better than the Plasma. I find some SD channels wherein the pictures looked washed. This is the reason why I picked LCD over Plasma.
Hmmm that's an interesting observation. Are you by any chance confusing sharper(almost unnaturally sharp) and brighter pictures to be the gauge of better quality pictures? I really didn't find any LCD's to have any better quality than a similarly priced Plasma and infact I felt that the plasma was probably better. I didn't much bothered about SD as my cable watching is limited but even here I found Plasma excelled. But anyway, if it looks good to your eyes and you are satisfied then that's what all is needed.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:28   #3787
Senior - BHPian

@Frank.- Congrats!
I did not like the grey panel but then its individual choice.
This is the best tv available as of now in indian market.

However do keep an eye on black level issue when you get it running.
Enjoy!
Old 26th July 2010, 15:33   #3788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hmmm that's an interesting observation. Are you by any chance confusing sharper(almost unnaturally sharp) and brighter pictures to be the gauge of better quality pictures? I really didn't find any LCD's to have any better quality than a similarly priced Plasma and infact I felt that the plasma was probably better. I didn't much bothered about SD as my cable watching is limited but even here I found Plasma excelled. But anyway, if it looks good to your eyes and you are satisfied then that's what all is needed.
Kaushik, it is not about confusing or getting confused. Plasma has much higher contrast levels when compared to LCDs. This is all the more reason why you find SD picture quality to be better. Have you compared HD viewing experience on Plasma and LCDs?
Old 26th July 2010, 16:11   #3789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kaushik, it is not about confusing or getting confused. Plasma has much higher contrast levels when compared to LCDs. This is all the more reason why you find SD picture quality to be better. Have you compared HD viewing experience on Plasma and LCDs?
Yuppp, I did. Infact I tried playing the same source but this was done at a showroom as at my home I'm only one TV so can't do a A-B direct comparo at a much controlled environment. But anyway, at the showroom they let me play with the settings and the room was made comparatively darker then a normal showroom. One thing obvious was that the LCD images did look sharper and brighter. But at the same time it also looked a bit unnatural than the Plasma. Plasma was bit softer but natural. The contrast looked better than the LCD and to me the picture looked better and pleasant due to these factors. On first glance the LCD might stand out due to the sharpness factor but after a prolonged watch I felt that I really didn't like that kind of picture much. But again this is just what I felt so take that with a pinch of salt. Also add the fact that I've been a plasma owner and I tend to like Plasma images more as I'm used to it for quite some time. But even if I try to remove that from mind and go for an LCD I still can't find myself liking LCD images that much. Kinda liked few LED's (but never had a long sitting to be sure) but again the cost is just exorbitant and at that cost you get a much better Plasma pannel.
And one thing I can confidently say about Plasma is that I keep on watching TV (mostly blu-rays and high res rips) for a prolonged duration (6-7 hours on weekends) and never felt any kind strain to eyes. Also played games for quite long time duration(8+ hours) and never had any issue with image burn in or stuffs like that. One thing I didn't like is that for texts it's not good and almost unusable as a computer monitor, but again it was never intended to be.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:30   #3790
BHPian

Got Samsung LED UA-32C5000, paid 48k, Works neat and many features included, very slim and looks too good.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:51   #3791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
One thing obvious was that the LCD images did look sharper and brighter. But at the same time it also looked a bit unnatural than the Plasma. Plasma was bit softer but natural.
<snip>
One thing I didn't like is that for texts it's not good and almost unusable as a computer monitor, but again it was never intended to be.
Kaushik_s you almost confirmed what I have been writing on this thread in more technical terms.
It is not the panel ( Plasma vs LCD) which makes Image sharp and higher resolution it is the processor in your TV.

LCD Images look unnatural to you because your expectation from TV is to see not so bright and sharp images , This expectation is built by years of Movie watching on TV in particular fashion.
Now it is the matter of individual taste so thre can be no debate because my better can never be same as another person's definition of better

But if we assume that better means faithful reproduction of original then best way to compare is comparing a Video or still image from DSLR camera because you know how the original scene was and how it should be so being better can be easily qualified here. Probably you will notice that what seems to be unnatural is actually more natural because that is how the scene actually was :-) and then if you look back at TV viewing you can see it in different perspective.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:57   #3792
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have a question here I am planning to pick a new monitor for my home PC so why not a LCD monitor with built in TV tuner.

There are 3 models
1. AOC V24T : Approx 14K
2. Samsung P2370HD : 15156
3. LG : 23'' ( M237WA)

My purpose is to primarily use as monitor with occasional use as TV.

1. Any disadvantage of LCD monitor + TV compared to pure monitor ( except the additional cost ) ?
2. AOC has an external power brick which may keep the heat away from panel
how important it is ? Can this be a point to consider ?
3. Are there any other models available in Indian market apart from above 3 ?
4. Anyone here has experience with AOC ?
Old 26th July 2010, 17:05   #3793
Senior - BHPian

I bought a 22'' Sony Bravia LCD for 15.2k a few weeks back and it works perfect.

Now I need a 32'' LCD and the cheapest could find in Agra / NCR is the Sony Bravia EX for about 31k after discounts. This one is HD ready.

At thesame time we have a 42'' Plasma Panasonic for about 40k ( C10 even cheaper and the X10 for 43k ). Now at 10k more I can get a 42'' which I cannot even think of in LCD prices.

What should I do ?

I have no idea what the difference between a Plasma and a LCD is. As a leighman I know Plasma consists of 'gas' in the panel and LCD is Liquid Crystal Display as we all know.

Also one more dumb question - which one is more durable and power saving in the long run ? We have a lot of electricity cuts here in Agra - at least 3-4 hours a day and we have a big genset and inverter powering our appliances.

So now which one would make sense. I assume LCD takes up very little or negligible electricity.
Old 26th July 2010, 17:24   #3794
Senior - BHPian

Whatever other difference there might be, one thing is sure that Plasma consume more electricity than LCD. You may check samsung/lg or sony websites and compare the power consumption of a plasma and lcd t/v?
And ofcourse LED tvs are more economical in terms of power consumption, but ofcourse led's are expensive.
Just for quick comparison - sony KLV-40EX600 consume 87w whereas
klv-46ex400 (lcd) consumes 195w !
Old 26th July 2010, 19:45   #3795
BHPian

Klv-40ex600 V/s Klv-46ex400

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Just for quick comparison - sony KLV-40EX600 consume 87w whereas klv-46ex400 (lcd) consumes 195w !
Is it not because of the screen size (i.e. 40" v/s 46") ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks