Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 15:00   #3706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post

Somebody please convince me why plasma is much better than LCD wrt to viewing.
Well I can not convince you because I was never convinced myself but there are few points for you to ponder and reach your own conclusion.

Well theoritically it is said plasmas have much better contrast ratios ( blacks look more black ) also in visual reproduction CRT > Plasma > LCD -LED >LCD but that is where theory ends ,

Now with my naked eye and to most of the people I have questioned they say that video ( SD,DVD, HD) looks better on new shiny Plasma or LCD rather then their old trusted CRT set why is it so ?

The theory holds good only for rendering element ( CRT/Plasma panel / TFT panel) but TV is much more then just a panel in this digital age.

A lot depends on what kind of image processing algorithms such as up-scaling from SD source, decoding of high frame rate digital video etc are supported by the TV and how good the DSP and processor is.

This is the reason some times your eyes will say that an LCD can outperform a Plasma where as your brain will say no Plasma has better contrast ration so should be other way round.

As a consumer I think you should trust your own eyes rather then what some expert says.

Some key points to compare and observe before making purchase decision.

1. What is the max resolution which the TV ( LCD , LCD-LED,Plasma) supports?

Full HD means 1080P it means you are future proof and also the current telecast on Cable settop box is 1080i that means the framerate is 30 as against 60 of 1080P.
Also 1080P TV gives you a better experience when you use as PC monitor.

HD Ready means 720P

2. How good is the up-scaling algorithm of the TV this is important because most of the time you will still see SD TV.
This is simple just do a side by side comparison from a set-top box source for a non HD channel.

3. What all formats the TV support from the USB source.
if your TV supports .mkv or mp4 files encoded in HD then there is no reason you should invest in a Hard Disk media player.

There are some common use case which will not occur to you in absence of this feature like connecting a SD card reader to TV and using your TV as a 42Inch picture frame for holiday photos.
Belive me some of the details of todays high end camera are not even visible on smaller screens and your family will love this.

Plasma is strict no no for this becuase this kind of usage for static images can cause burn-in

4. How good is the TV in supporting HD content , See the Blue Ray content and compare which one looks best.

5. Are you an avid PC user and download most of your movies as torrents ? In this case you should look for DLNA support so that a PC in your study can act as a media server and you can watch content from TV with out running wires or copying data in USB and then playing through the HDD media-player.

6. Does it fit in your budget.

Now if result of this evaluation is Plasma then go and buy plasma.
Old 13th July 2010, 15:13   #3707
BHPian

[quote=nairrk;1980087]
I am also in look out for 42/46' Tv (but I prefer for LCD) and after visiting many websites and reviews (inlcuding this forum), as of now shortlisted following:

LG 42LH60YR - Power consumption 210W - MRP RS.69,990/-

LG 42LD650 - Power consumptino 200W - MRP Rs.81,990/-

KLV 46 EX400 - Power consumption 195W - MRP Rs.88,900/-
KLV 42 EX600 - Power consumption 87 W -MRP Rs.93,900/-
(LED)
[quote]

I have also been looking around for LCD tv for about a week now.
I find Panasonic to be much better than anything but very pricey. Followed by Samsung, nice features and value for money.
Sony is feature rich among all the LCD tvs.
LG though economical with high end features, none of the models impressed me.

The discounts that you have mentioned are very less, please negotiate for more.
Mutantx has posted that got the LG 42LH60YR for 58K+1 DTH service at croma.

Check in ezone, if available in your area. The prices are competitive and emi scheme tie-ups available as well, in case you need.

Last edited by ikoneer : 13th July 2010 at 15:14.
Old 13th July 2010, 15:28   #3708
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I have a SONY BRAVIA 32" LCD. KLV-32V550A/B. I need to know if the USB in that support video playback or not? if yes, what format?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 13th July 2010 at 15:30.
Old 13th July 2010, 15:36   #3709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well I can not convince you because I was never convinced myself but there are few points for you to ponder and reach your own conclusion
Hey amit thanks for the pointers. It would help me to take a better decision.
Old 13th July 2010, 15:58   #3710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
5. Are you an avid PC user and download most of your movies as torrents ? In this case you should look for DLNA support so that a PC in your study can act as a media server and you can watch content from TV with out running wires or copying data in USB and then playing through the HDD media-player.
Can we not watch torrent downloaded HD movies on all LCD TVs which have USB ports?

If no, what more do we require to see these HD movies on full HD LCD TVs?

Will a HD DVD Player do?

What is the need for HDD Media Player then?

Which LCD TVs have DLNA support?

If a LCD TV does not have it how does it get around the requirement?

Phew. A lot many questions. Pardonne moi for that.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:00   #3711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

I have a SONY BRAVIA 32" LCD. KLV-32V550A/B. I
Thanks in advance.
How is this TV? What is your feedback? And what price and shop/place?
Old 13th July 2010, 16:32   #3712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Can we not watch torrent downloaded HD movies on all LCD TVs which have USB ports?
Yes and No.
Not all TV supports decoding of movie files such as mkv and mp4 from USB. In case your TV support then you can but you need to connect a Physical USB wire to USB port. You should check the specification of LCD TV for the media file formats supported.

In case your TV has DLNA support then you can stream the movies from your Home PC on WiFi network and watch on TV with out running any wires.

Quote:
If no, what more do we require to see these HD movies on full HD LCD TVs?

Will a HD DVD Player do?
If your TV does not support decoding of media file then you need to buy either an Hard Disk (HDD) Media Player or you need to connect a PC ( HTPC).
A good quality HDD media player which supports HD movies is not cheap iomega HD Hard Disk media player is approx 11K in reliance digital ,
So may be you can do some saving by buying a TV that can read digital media from USB.

There are lots of cheap chinese HDD players that claim Full HD but you can expect several probelms such as frame freeze , frame skipping and Audio and Video out of Synch for large frame size media on cheaper ones.

Though there are a lucky few ( whom I have never met or seen personally) who are rumored to get a noname cheap HDD player playing everything with out any problems out of the box.

Also TV able to play digital media means one less box in living room and one less remote to juggle ( you can buy a universal remote though)

Another alternative is that you burn DVDs of your movies on PC and then watch in living room using DVD player but it is cumbersome and not very eco and pocket friendly.

Quote:
What is the need for HDD Media Player then?
In case your TV does not play the formats and you do not want to throw away TV just for this then HDD media player is good option.
Also the USB reading of TV has certain maximum size limitation as it use FAT32 filesystem so in case you want to use a 1 TB HDD and build a lib of movies on your HDD media player doing away with a PC.

Quote:
Which LCD TVs have DLNA support?
AFAIK Samsung C550 , C650 and higher models supports DLNA note that DLNA support was not there in B550 model which is last years.

These models also support a host of other file format decoding from USB (.mkv,.rm.mp4 etc). Other manufacturers and models may be having same support as well but I never purchased or owned them.

With DLNA you can actually see youtube and Hulu content on TV because PC trans-codes that and transmits over DLNA acting as media server.

Quote:
If a LCD TV does not have it how does it get around the requirement?

Build an HTPC yourself ( best option) or search for a good HDD media player.
Old 13th July 2010, 18:01   #3713
BHPian

Saw plasma and lcd side by side and could make out the brightness ,reflection difference . Ruled out plasma instantly(even though it was on my mind since a few days) cause i have to place it in the lobby and the reflection level due to the glass panel was a bit too much and also the brightness level of the picture . So LCD was the way to go .Samsung had 40" one and lg 42" and dad always wanted to have a large screen at home so we picked up SONY Bravia EX400 46" . I am happy with the choice we made .Coming soon to our place .
Old 13th July 2010, 21:43   #3714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC.CUSTOMS View Post
we picked up SONY Bravia EX400 46" .
Price? Source? Feedback?
Old 13th July 2010, 22:18   #3715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
. I got mine from Croma (T.Nagar - Usman Road) for 58k with free TATA Sky SD connection.
Considering the views of amitk26 given below what is the ground position of LG LH60YR as far as playing various formats is concerned.

Do we need a DVD Player? Or a HDD Media Player?
Old 13th July 2010, 22:55   #3716
BANNED

My replies in bold. Hope it helps.

Quote:
Can we not watch torrent downloaded HD movies on all LCD TVs which have USB ports? - depends on TV, check which format it supports. If it supports .avi format, good for you. Most of torrent movies are .avi format.

If no, what more do we require to see these HD movies on full HD LCD TVs? - Buy a Blue Ray player or you can convert the torrent movies to the format your TV supports.

Will a HD DVD Player do? - Yes ofcourse, unless your TV supports full HD. I can run full HD on my CRT TV also, but there won't be any difference.

What is the need for HDD Media Player then? - Serves the same purpose.

Which LCD TVs have DLNA support? - Untill now I have heard only LG provides this feature.

If a LCD TV does not have it how does it get around the requirement? - Exchange it for the one which has all these features

Old 14th July 2010, 09:42   #3717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post

The discounts that you have mentioned are very less, please negotiate for more.
Mutantx has posted that got the LG 42LH60YR for 58K+1 DTH service at croma.

Check in ezone, if available in your area. The prices are competitive and emi scheme tie-ups available as well, in case you need.
+
Thanks, I have only quoted the price and what the shop guy told me about the discount amount. I have not bargained anything as I still to finalise a model. Am visiting another shop today and see how these guys react.
Old 14th July 2010, 10:41   #3718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering the views of amitk26 given below what is the ground position of LG LH60YR as far as playing various formats is concerned.

Do we need a DVD Player? Or a HDD Media Player?
Don't know about LG but if you go for Samsung XXC650 you wont be disappointed , XXC550 also supports every thing which C650 supports at 10K less but curiously they have removed Jpeg support from C550 ( was there in B550 but B550 lacks DLNA and movie playback) retaining .mkv, .rm, .avi , 3gp , mp3 and wav so in case you want to use your LCD as giant photoframe then C650 is the choice.

The other serious difference is refresh rate and dynamic contrast ratio which is quite subjective.

Source of information : Purchased a 32C650 1 month back to give as a gift, and have a 42B550 purchased last year at home.
Old 14th July 2010, 11:29   #3719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC.CUSTOMS View Post
Saw plasma and lcd side by side and could make out the brightness ,reflection difference . Ruled out plasma instantly(even though it was on my mind since a few days) cause i have to place it in the lobby and the reflection level due to the glass panel was a bit too much and also the brightness level of the picture . So LCD was the way to go .Samsung had 40" one and lg 42" and dad always wanted to have a large screen at home so we picked up SONY Bravia EX400 46" . I am happy with the choice we made .Coming soon to our place .
So you have finally decided and bought KLV 46 EX400 - How much you paid ?
I am still dancing between ex400 and ex600
EX600 is sony's entry level LED tv and it has got Ambient Sensor (automatically adjust the colour and contrast of the picture depending onthe light settings at the room which reduces eye strain) and very very
low power consumption (87 W).
EX400 has also got Ambient SEnsor.

But 46 ex400 is definitely bigger screen at less price
+
The major difference between above two, according to sony website is:

40EX 600 /46EX400
---------- - -------
screen 40''/ 46''
LED/ CCFL
Swivel - yes/ No
87w /195 w(power consumption)
Weigth - 14.8kgs/ 20.4 kgs (both with stand)
Price MRP Rs.93,900/ Rs.88,900

which one is worth buying?

Last edited by nairrk : 14th July 2010 at 11:49. Reason: correction
Old 14th July 2010, 17:11   #3720
BHPian

Quote:
Price? Source? Feedback?
Price was around 85k . But i guess you can get it cheaper outside the place i live in . We didnt want to transport it from another city so we just bought it from here itself .
Feedback- So far i have just experienced a few hours with the tv . I must say unlike plasma which was not getting well with the eye this was far better . And oh ya very very less reflection . Comes equipped with ambient sensor also .Quality of content displayed - Great . I asked the dealer to put the samsung and sony screens together and sony was better by some margin . Till now have not played any HD content as yet . Will do so sooner or later . But i must say i am happy that i didnt opt for plasma or 40"lcd . The extra 6" length of the lcd is surely making some difference . And lastly it is SONY .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
So you have finally decided and bought KLV 46 EX400 - How much you paid ?
I am still dancing between ex400 and ex600
EX600 is sony's entry level LED tv and it has got Ambient Sensor (automatically adjust the colour and contrast of the picture depending onthe light settings at the room which reduces eye strain) and very very
low power consumption (87 W).
EX400 has also got Ambient SEnsor.

But 46 ex400 is definitely bigger screen at less price
+
The major difference between above two, according to sony website is:

40EX 600 /46EX400
---------- - -------
screen 40''/ 46''
LED/ CCFL
Swivel - yes/ No
87w /195 w(power consumption)
Weigth - 14.8kgs/ 20.4 kgs (both with stand)
Price MRP Rs.93,900/ Rs.88,900

which one is worth buying?
I paid around 85k . But you might get a better deal . Anyway
i saw the LED one (ex600) as well . To be frank i could NOT find much difference in the quality being played by the ex400 and ex600 . I think LED is a new technology in the tv market so they are asking greater price for obvious reasons (for the money spent by the R&D department in making and designing them ) . Atleast this is what i presume . I could be wrong though .Yeah power consumption is somewhat on a higher side if you compare the two but i dont think that will bother a customer that much considering spending some good amount on a tv .
Yes EX400 also has ambient sensors and all the things you mentioned including the weight part. Oh and ya one of the LED ones had some youtube videos thing also . So it all depends upon the purpose . Ex400 has been giving me good quality outputs with the normal cable as well .
I think ex400 would be good enough and also you get 46" screen for a lesser price .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks