Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:34   #3376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
....Power Isolator - This contains two 102kpF/1KV blue colored capacitors in ground and signal path of cable input...
It was clear that the problem was because of earthing, was solved using this but didn't know what its called. After reading your post it turns out it could be a power isolator. Its called an antenna isolator in the manual & the LG one is more effective than the cable guy's piece. Though, there is a visible difference in size.
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-23022010243.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Hi Guys ,

I have been offered the old series LG LED TV 42LH90 for Rs 70,000 .
The DCR is stated as 50,00,000 : 1 .

I have been told that backlight TV is better than edge light TV.
Yea, back lit with local dimming is better than edge lit.
This one's got local dimming, way better than an average LCD. Isnt that old, was launched just before Diwali.
Best HDTVs overall - CNET Reviews Link posted by Jassi earlier.

Sound & Vision Magazine - Guide To LED Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ as far as i know - pixel illuminated LED LCDs are the best and can easily rival plasma in contrast ratios and blacks (individual pixels can be shut)
Edge-lit is as good as regular LCDs today and nowhere comparable to plasmas, just thinner!
Never heard of backlit LED LCDs
Quote:
anyone who contemplating if LCDs are better than plasmas - look at this
Best HDTVs overall - CNET Reviews
Best 5 HDTVs: Picture quality - CNET Reviews

panny plasma is number 2 - superseded only by samsung's LOCAL DIMMING LED LCD.
This is exactly what I had put in an earlier post
local dimming LED LCD > Plasma > LED Backlit LCD > LCD
Also local dimming LED LCDs are very expensive and once prices drop should be the goto HDTV technology :-)

Last edited by gendarmee : 23rd February 2010 at 14:50.
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:56   #3377
BHPian

Just saw this advise on CNET

Editors' note, February 9, 2010: According to user reports, which first surfaced on enthusiast Web site AVS Forum, this Panasonic plasma may lose black level performance noticeably over time. Panasonic has issued statement, admitting to changes over time but saying performance is still "excellent." While CNET reviewers have not been able to verify or refute either claim, we nonetheless do not recommend buying this TV. We have also removed the Editors' Choice award from this review

Panasonic does not plan fix for reported black level increases | Crave - CNET
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:50   #3378
BHPian

^^ only time will tell whether the difference is noticeable to us or not in the long run.
So the options are 2010 panny plasmas or premium pixel illuminated LEDs.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:10   #3379
BHPian

Quote:
^^ as far as i know - pixel illuminated LED LCDs are the best and can easily rival plasma in contrast ratios and blacks (individual pixels can be shut) Never heard of backlit LED LCDs
Quote:
^^ only time will tell whether the difference is noticeable to us or not in the long run.
Seems to be new. Could you post a weblink to info about premium pixel illuminated LED LCDs.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:25   #3380
BHPian

^^ pixel illuminated is also called local-dimming
LED TVs: 10 things you need to know | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews (look at point 9)
LED TVs compared: Local dimming versus edge-lit - CNET Reviews
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:13   #3381
BHPian

Quote:
^^ pixel illuminated is also called local-dimming
I see. Never have come across this term before. Sounded more like pixel-level illumination!
Though, LCDs with local dimming are mostly back-lit (fullarray LED)...

Last edited by gendarmee : 23rd February 2010 at 23:16.
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:22   #3382
BHPian

^^ well pixel level dimming :-) or rather clusters of pixels can be dimmed!
http://asia.cnet.com/buyingguides/ho...85379-3,00.htm

Last edited by jassi : 23rd February 2010 at 23:26.
Old 24th February 2010, 00:24   #3383
BHPian

Quote:
^^ well pixel level dimming :-) or rather clusters of pixels can be dimmed!
Plasma vs. LCD vs. LED - Home AV Buying Guide - CNET Asia
Yeah, clusters of ~2000 pixels.

Thanks for the CNET links, one of them led to this page. Adjusted the settings and tinkered a bit, helped to fine tune it. Looks closer to natural now.
Old 24th February 2010, 18:50   #3384
BHPian

One important question to all existing Plasma or LCD owners. Whats good voltage stabilizer to use with my LG 42 " plasma? I am getting the installation done today evening and would need one soon. I have an inverter at home, however thats basic and can support only usage of fans and tubelights. I am not planning to upgrade the inverter at the moment, however need to make arrangements for the plasma in case of voltage fluctuations or outages . please advise.

thanks
KPB.
Old 24th February 2010, 19:30   #3385
Senior - BHPian

Vguard seems to be most famous. however, people who have checked the outputs have found them(the voltage outputs) to be utter crap and suggest to go without a stabilizer.
But i think Vguard and some companies are trying to cash in on the flat panel sales by chucking out flat panel specific stabilizers. has anyone tested these?
Old 25th February 2010, 14:41   #3386
BHPian

Update!

Well, its my good luck or what. I was able to convince the Panasonic service centre rep somehow (a lot of details behind it ) that the TV is within the 1 year warranty period, though actually the TV was 15 days outside warranty.

Got a call, last week from the service centre, that Panasonic has asked me for a choice of replacement, either the 42C10 or the 42X10. I opted for the 42X10, and it should be with me in a week's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
The infamous red line/green line problem in Panasonic plasma's has decided to hit my PV80D. There is a red line (about a pixel wide) running top->bottom about 3 inches from the left of the screen, and green line about 3 inches from the right of the screen.
I switched off the TV when i saw these lines, and switched it on the next day, and the lines were gone. Although solved, i was apprehensive that this was not the end of the problem, and was expecting it to return.
And it returned with a "bang" (literally) . There was a very slight noise around 4-5 days after the line disappeared, and all of the sudden, about 1/8th of the screen from the right goes black.
Took it to the service centre and has been diagnosed as PDP failure. Waiting for more details from their side.

There are many such threads online, google for "red line problem in panasonic plasmas"
Old 25th February 2010, 18:25   #3387
BHPian

^^ congrats - smooth talking i guess :-)
Old 25th February 2010, 20:19   #3388
BHPian

@trance nut, you must really thank your stars and all is well that ends well. Congrats and enjoy your new plasma.

Now what about the warranty for the new TV? Will it be for three years?
Old 28th February 2010, 14:25   #3389
BHPian

Quote:
When you say 2010 plasma's,would it be newer versions of the C10 and X10 or completely different models?

I've been an avid follower of this thread and I want you're advice on whether it's ok to go in for the C10,now with the issue that CNET has explained about in detail?
Old 28th February 2010, 15:58   #3390
BHPian

^^ here is the 2010 line-up - still not launched in India and it includes the kuro stuff panny got from pioneer
Panasonic 2010 US VIERA plasma line-up - FlatpanelsHD

There is a risk with the x10 or c10 which is still unknown - i am still on the pv80d and don't see any issues yet though in 1 yr of usage - note that my usage is atleast 4-5 hrs day.

Likely whenever 2010 line-up gets launched here it will be twice the price of x10/c10. With the risks still un-realized by most of us on this thread, you could still go ahead and buy the temptingly vfm x10/c10. However the ultimate decision is yours whether to take that risk or go for one of the lowly lcds you could get at those prices OR up your budget and get the local dimming LED or wait for 2010 plasma lineup

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks