Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 16:26   #3361
BHPian

Hi, I saw an ad for BenQ LCD TVs that looked affordable considering their size and Full HD capability. What do you think? Are they worth it?
Old 15th February 2010, 16:29   #3362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
'dont think its a good idea disconnect earthing.

The cable guy doesn't know what its exactly called, and says its called a power stopper at the place where he buys it from, an electronics market.

Attaching a picture, sorry about the quality. though, there is an adapter between the insulator/power stopper to fix it to the old type hathway STB.

Edit- There is something like this that came with the set too. Its called an antenna isolator in the installation guide, to connect it to the RF input of TV or STB.
Attachment 288385
Thank you very much, Now i can show this to my cable guy
Old 15th February 2010, 20:10   #3363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Thank you very much, Now i can show this to my cable guy
No problem. Glad I could be of help. Though, I forgot to add that the cable guy had to got a couple of insulators which differed in size. The small ones didn't work, this was the largest one.

Last edited by gendarmee : 15th February 2010 at 20:18.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:48   #3364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
No problem. Glad I could be of help. Though, I forgot to add that the cable guy had to got a couple of insulators which differed in size. The small ones didn't work, this was the largest one.
This could be a signal attanuator which is used to attanuate extra signal level from cable line. Usually amplifier output is set at 100dB and TV/STB needs 60dB. Branching from main line for your TV, attanuates 10-20dB. Some sensitive equipment needs further decrease. That's why they are of diffrent types. [I was cable wala from 1990-2003]

Power Isolator - This contains two 102kpF/1KV blue colored capacitors in ground and signal path of cable input. This also looks similar as in picture. You can test continuity by using multimeter. Let me find one I will post picture of same. This isolate SMPS reverse static from 2-pin powered equipments.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-image261.jpg

In this case it may create some ground loop. So just try one thing, connect component+audio RCA cables between TV-STB such that only one ground connects towards TV. DO this with all equipments turned OFF and then turn ON after changes are done. It will break multiple path for ground loop. Let us know result.
Old 16th February 2010, 19:12   #3365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
In this case it may create some ground loop. So just try one thing, connect component+audio RCA cables between TV-STB such that only one ground connects towards TV. DO this with all equipments turned OFF and then turn ON after changes are done. It will break multiple path for ground loop. Let us know result.
Actually i thought ground loop is causing this issue and removed earth pin of my TV's 3-pin plug. Now its fine, but i need to ask my cable guy fix this by means of some insulators as suggested by gendarmee/you. But still my doubt is why this is not happening when it connected through RF and also its happening only if there is direct connection(high signal level?) to my STB from outside.

If ground loop is an issue, then while connecting through RF also i should face the issue and similarly if high signal level is a cause, then the issue should persist even after removing earth pin from the 3-pin plug of my TV,but??? :(
Old 18th February 2010, 14:20   #3366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Actually i thought ground loop is causing this issue and removed earth pin of my TV's 3-pin plug. Now its fine, but i need to ask my cable guy fix this by means of some insulators as suggested by gendarmee/you. But still my doubt is why this is not happening when it connected through RF and also its happening only if there is direct connection(high signal level?) to my STB from outside.

If ground loop is an issue, then while connecting through RF also i should face the issue and similarly if high signal level is a cause, then the issue should persist even after removing earth pin from the 3-pin plug of my TV,but??? :(
You answered it ourself. It is ground loop. "This is because your Cable TV's ground voltage is different relative to the house electrical system ground. This difference causes hum/noise in picture".
  1. If you remove isolator then STB is grounded through Cables ground.
  2. If you connect RF to TV then only one ground wire comes into use between TV & STB and that is of RF wire shiileded ground.
Now for components, multiple ground connection between TV - STB (R,G,B and audio L&R). Unless you remove earth ground difference in ground which persists or single ground path made between source and destination, hum appears.
  1. So either make sure only one ground connects TV-STB
  2. or there is no ground difference. (Which you are following currently)
Old 20th February 2010, 13:58   #3367
BHPian

Quick question everyone:

I had the Panasonic brand shop guys at home an hour back. Here is the deal details offered. I am quoting prices from another shop for comparisons:

42C10 Dealer Price : 44K , down payment 17K and 15 EMI of Rs 1833 ( processing fee of Rs 500)

42X10 dealer price : 49K , down payment 181875 and 15 EMI of Rs 2042 ( processing fee Rs 500)

Radhika Sales : 42C10 Rs 39.5K

question is why the difference in price from a company dealer and whether its a safe bet to go with another dealer? Both have a packed unit available and are ready to delivery it today evening.
To add to the confusion, I have given up on LG PQ70 since its not available anywhere. I have been waiting for almost a month and no dealer in the area has any clue about it. The LG local office had committed to get the PQ70 models in shop by 18th Feb but that hasnt happened. I wanted to go for PQ70 but have to go for the Panasonic C10 or X10 -- both above my budget
Old 21st February 2010, 15:53   #3368
BANNED

guys, i am getting Samsung LA32B530P7R from series 5 for 31k and its full hd. Do u think its good deal or i can get better deal in delhi/gurgaon. How is the performance of this tv. The dealer is guruji electronics in patel nagar, delhi. Is there any other place from where i can get better deal because i am not sure this dealer is an authorized one.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:12   #3369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
Quick question everyone:

I had the Panasonic brand shop guys at home an hour back. Here is the deal details offered. I am quoting prices from another shop for comparisons:

42C10 Dealer Price : 44K , down payment 17K and 15 EMI of Rs 1833 ( processing fee of Rs 500)

42X10 dealer price : 49K , down payment 181875 and 15 EMI of Rs 2042 ( processing fee Rs 500)

Radhika Sales : 42C10 Rs 39.5K
42C10 Rs 39.5K , looks good to me. Ask for 3 years warranty for this TV (Panasonic is already offering)

42X10 has additional HDMI input at side, apart from 2 at the rear. Otherwise, no difference between those models.
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:24   #3370
BHPian

LG back ( LED ) lit TV

Hi Guys ,

I have been offered the old series LG LED TV 42LH90 for Rs 70,000 .
The DCR is stated as 50,00,000 : 1 .

I have been told that backlight TV is better than edge light TV.

advise

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 22nd February 2010 at 20:26.
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:59   #3371
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer87 View Post
guys, i am getting Samsung LA32B530P7R from series 5 for 31k and its full hd. Do u think its good deal or i can get better deal in delhi/gurgaon. How is the performance of this tv. The dealer is guruji electronics in patel nagar, delhi. Is there any other place from where i can get better deal because i am not sure this dealer is an authorized one.
guys, no reply to the above, i need some suggestions regarding the above lcd tv and can i get a better deal in Delhi.
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:44   #3372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer87 View Post
guys, i am getting Samsung LA32B530P7R from series 5 for 31k and its full hd. Do u think its good deal or i can get better deal in delhi/gurgaon. How is the performance of this tv.
No idea about options in NCR, but 31K sounds like a good price of that TV. I bought it in Oct 09 for 33K.

Overall pretty good TV.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:12   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Hi Guys ,

I have been offered the old series LG LED TV 42LH90 for Rs 70,000 .
The DCR is stated as 50,00,000 : 1 .

I have been told that backlight TV is better than edge light TV.

advise
This means version of sales person always keep changing. As I heard that backlit LED more light passes through pixel so brightness is more as source is inline to sight. Disadvantage is that back light leaking is more. That's why they invented edge lit LCD TVs. Now they say previous was better?

IN my view LCD is LCD whatever it is.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:52   #3374
BHPian

^^ as far as i know - pixel illuminated LED LCDs are the best and can easily rival plasma in contrast ratios and blacks (individual pixels can be shut)
Edge-lit is as good as regular LCDs today and nowhere comparable to plasmas, just thinner!
Never heard of backlit LED LCDs
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:13   #3375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi;
^^ as far as i know - pixel illuminated LED LCDs are the best and can easily rival plasma in contrast ratios and blacks (individual pixels can be shut)
Edge-lit is as good as regular LCDs today and nowhere comparable to plasmas, just thinner!
Never heard of backlit LED LCDs
Thanks a lot for the advise Jassi , can you kindly have a look at the url and confim ( if its edge lit / back lit lcd )

LG 42LH90 Televisions - 42" Class Full HD 1080p Full LED Backlighting 240Hz LCD TV (42.0" diagonal) - LG Electronics US

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks