Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 20:39   #2971
Senior - BHPian

need help

hello all

looking for a LCD/PLASMA TV. Typically 40 to 46 inches.

Requirements:
- tv will stay on for 10 to 12 hours a day.
- to be used for movies(most of the time dvds), cable tv.
- sometimes pc/laptop connectivity (twice/thrice a month).
- sometimes camcorder connectivity to view videos (twice/thrice a month, during special occasions/festivals, even more)
- sometimes digital camera connectivity to view photos/slideshow (same as camcorder)
- HD capable movies will be watched in 1 or 2 months.

considering the above requirements which will fit in. a LCD or a plasma?

also please mention some recent models for both and the expected price range. i am not too aware of market for these TVs now a days.

Looking at recent posts, it seems panny plasma is getting favorable reviews here. will it work good with pc, camcorder, camera? if yes, which one's?

Thank You

Last edited by chevelle : 30th September 2009 at 20:42.
Old 30th September 2009, 22:25   #2972
oss
BHPian

@chevelle: Go for Panny G10 neoPDP plasma. If i remember correctly the 42" retails for 74k and it is an unbeatable propositon.
Old 30th September 2009, 22:50   #2973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
@chevelle: Go for Panny G10 neoPDP plasma. If i remember correctly the 42" retails for 74k and it is an unbeatable propositon.
Thanks, i shall look that up,

The reviews online says, its color reproduction is less-accurate. only excels in black. also doesn't have all picture controls. is that true?

any recommendation in Sony for LCD? Also how is Samsung?

I guess not all plasma tv supports pc connectivity, camcorder/camera connectivity, so my options would be limited in it. correct me if i am wrong

Last edited by chevelle : 30th September 2009 at 22:53.
Old 30th September 2009, 23:37   #2974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I guess not all plasma tv supports pc connectivity, camcorder/camera connectivity, so my options would be limited in it. correct me if i am wrong
i can't think of a plasma tv from panny which does not support all these connectivity options - the panny pv80 which has been a hot favourite here, retails for 45k and its supports all of what you want to connect (1 front hdmi, 2 rear hdmi, 1 pc, s-video, front and rea rca and composite blah lah). I connect my pc once/twice a week to my 42pv80 for attending 4-5 hr long web conferences (video, ppt etc) and have had perfect experience so far !
You can't go wrong with panny plasmas
Old 1st October 2009, 01:54   #2975
Senior - BHPian

Folks , when wall mounting a 32" LCD, how much space (inches/cms) is available between the TV back and the wall?

Some HDMI cables are thick and may not bend easily. Is there enough space for such cables?

Also, how accessible are the cables ? Does one need to take the TV down from the wall anchor to plug in / replace cables?
Old 1st October 2009, 08:40   #2976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Folks , when wall mounting a 32" LCD, how much space (inches/cms) is available between the TV back and the wall?

Some HDMI cables are thick and may not bend easily. Is there enough space for such cables?

Also, how accessible are the cables ? Does one need to take the TV down from the wall anchor to plug in / replace cables?
I have not mounted any of my flat panels so far, however I went to a friends house who had his panny 42pv8 wall mounted and he had to connect his new dvd player's hdmi cable and boy i tell you it was crazy trying to get that cable back there. Almost took 30 mins to feel and find an hdmi port and then great skill of hands to get the hdmi cable in. Not sure if there is some way to move the mounted tv away from the wall or something to put in cables and then put it back.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:19   #2977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
.....Not sure if there is some way to move the mounted tv away from the wall or something to put in cables and then put it back.
Mirror mirror on the wall helps!
Old 1st October 2009, 11:33   #2978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's why it is prudent to spend some 3K rupees on swivel arm wall mount ( not same as the til-table wall mount shipped by manufacturer).

Ask the showroom / installation guy generally they provide this as extra.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:30   #2979
Senior - BHPian

just a quick question

with a living room that has source of light coming in the room throughout the day and use of tube light at nite, does plasma makes sense or a lcd tv?

won't the contrast go down in case of plasma thereby bringing it at par with lcd tv's?

the reason i ask is, i read on almost all av forums that, if the room is lite all the while, performance of plasma would be just as good as lcd and in some case lower.

thanks
Old 1st October 2009, 14:37   #2980
BANNED

If TV is facing direct reflection yes it makes difference in case of plasmas as the screen has got a reflective coat, still i preffer Plasmas instead of some basic LCD, if budget allows go for LED or some high end LCD wih good refresh rae and motion handeling capacity.
Stay away from Sony as still i can see the pink tint in their entire range, dont go with their own demo DVD or Blue Ray pictures.
Old 1st October 2009, 18:54   #2981
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the LG LF20 FR and the Samsung B530 deals today at respective brand shops. Both 32" Full HD sets.

LG - final price 33.7K
EMI scheme:
Processing Rs. 400, 7.8K dp, 18xx for 14 months.
So total price 34.1

Samsung - final price 33K
EMI scheme:
Processing nil, 11K dp, 2750 for 8 months.
So total price remains 33K.

Any comments on the prices? Do they sound like good deals?

Last edited by shuvc : 1st October 2009 at 18:55.
Old 1st October 2009, 19:02   #2982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
If TV is facing direct reflection yes it makes difference in case of plasmas as the screen has got a reflective coat, still i preffer Plasmas instead of some basic LCD, if budget allows go for LED or some high end LCD wih good refresh rae and motion handeling capacity.
Stay away from Sony as still i can see the pink tint in their entire range, dont go with their own demo DVD or Blue Ray pictures.
My budget is around 1lakh rupees. Max

Any models in LED in this range?

Well, the room will have natural light coming from left of where tv is placed. From 2 door and a window. Sitting arrangement is in C shape towards tv

Last edited by chevelle : 1st October 2009 at 19:05.
Old 1st October 2009, 20:26   #2983
BANNED

Thats nice budget for 42-50" TV check Panasonic 42-50" Full HD Plasma, Philips LCD 42-50" and Samsung LED LCD TV compare them in one shop with normal cable, DTH, DVD, Upscaled DVD and blue ray and trust your eyes n buy any of them which you feels is the best in picture quality and motion handeling capability.Light coming from lfet or right dosent makes any difference only direct light does.
Old 1st October 2009, 22:54   #2984

Help about rates for Panasonic Plasma TV in Pune

Hi,
Thanks to all the guys who have contributed to this thread as this was the source ,which made me pursure relentlessly to read reviews and watch a Plasma and LCD side by side with the same setttings for varied source of i/p from Dish/DVD and HD contents and the Plasma blew out all the competetion.All the Dealers are hell bent on selling LCD's by adjusting the Plasma settings to make LCD more attractive .I have visited Maharastra Electronics ,Huns ,Chroma in Ishanaya Mall and Dass . They either will talk you into LCD or LED.
The funniest part was one of the salesman was telling me that Plasma panels are made of Gas and those gas effect your eyes .

After scouring through this mammoth thread and then visiting shops to find the difference between LCD and Plasma's finally i have decided to go in for Panasonic Plasma's.

Here in Pune i have been quoted a price of
TH-P42C10D : 46500
TH-P42X10D : 48000
TH-P42S10D : 56000 - HDTV
TH-P42G10D : 65000 - HDTV

I am thinking of going in for G series.
Can any body throw some light on price part,if these are the right one or have to be negotiated more .The dealer has said these are final prices and i cant get any cheaper then this.The confusion stems from the CompareIndia site,which shows 60000.00 as price offered in Delhi for G series,but taxation in Maharashtra might be one of the thing .

All the help is highly appreaciated.Thanks guys.
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:44   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
Checked out the LG LF20 FR and the Samsung B530 deals today at respective brand shops. Both 32" Full HD sets
Any comments on the prices? Do they sound like good deals?
you could get a panny lcd for around 32k and thats quite good too - ohh just realized these are full hd! thats a good deal man - but still just see what panny can offer and if the pq is better (720p or 1080p)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodGK View Post

Here in Pune i have been quoted a price of
TH-P42C10D : 46500
TH-P42X10D : 48000
TH-P42S10D : 56000 - HDTV
TH-P42G10D : 65000 - HDTV

I am thinking of going in for G series.
the prices look similar to bangy - did the fullhd G/S handle SD video better than the hd ready C/X? I might pick up a panny for my parents in pune. And yes i did speak to chroma in ishanya and they were directing me towards lcd - till i gave him a little gyan and then he was like "yea sir you are right, but we make more money on lcds more volumes more margin thats why we promote lcd and tune plasmas to look bad" I remember this is how lcd rptv (sony 3lcd/srxd) was treated despite being consistently better than lcd. I am telling you guys its marketing money and incentives which drives sales, very rarely will a sales guy nowadays recommend the 'better' product - thats a dying breed of sales guys in consumer electronics market. Most people are not as well researched and they just blindly go with what the sales guy says - they are more into price negotiation and normally glad they got a sexy shiny new wall mount tv for few k under their budget.

Last edited by jassi : 2nd October 2009 at 00:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks