Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 10:21   #2611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
I am evaluating the Samsung 40" model that comes for around 57k and Sony V40 which comes for around 74k.
Suggestions?
Hey COUGAR, i too am looking for an LCD in Pune and have finalized the Samsung 5 series 40 inches model. The price quoted at Vijay sales and Samsung Showroom on Tilak Road was the same i.e. 57k. But we will surely get an additional discount if we buy it together. Do let me know if you are interested.
Old 15th May 2009, 10:26   #2612
Senior - BHPian

yes 1.4l for a 40" does make you think twice
Old 15th May 2009, 10:33   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
This article explains really better when it comes to the comparison of LED and LCD

LED TV vs LCD TV : LCD TV Buying Guide covers LED vs LCD
We all know the issues with LCDs and surely LEDs can trump them with their black levels (local dimming, et al). However the question is how does LED technology compare to our good old favourite plasma technology
Old 15th May 2009, 13:54   #2614
Senior - BHPian

Have the panasonic 42PV80 installed.Got it hooked to dish tv.The techician came and did his calibration and settings.I would like to know if there is a reference dvd or some steps i could follow to ensure i am receiving the best possible image quality with the dish.I dont think my mom's going to watch alot of dvd's.So picture quality through dish is important.The speakers on these things are really underpowerd and light.Is it with everyone.
Old 15th May 2009, 14:52   #2615
BHPian

yes, bigron, i also feel that the speakers on the panny are underpowered for my hearing needs. Esp when compared to my normal 29" Sony CRT.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:07   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
LED's are 1.5 lakhs and all, todays TOI BLR edition carries one full page add. But seeing the price i was
They are damn expensive as of now and will be for couple more months until other market players are going to compete in this segment.

I will be purchasing when it comes below 1L.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:20   #2617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
They are damn expensive as of now and will be for couple more months until other market players are going to compete in this segment.

I will be purchasing when it comes below 1L.
not to mention the samsung LED displays are edge dimming and not local dimming ones. The edge dimming LED displays are no better than the LCDs of today - so no point in going for them as of now ! Local dimming LED TVs will be much more expensive (from Sony i guess)

PS - got the local dimming vs edge dimming insight from cvvikram's link posted above "LED TV vs LCD TV : LCD TV Buying Guide covers LED vs LCD"
Old 18th May 2009, 02:34   #2618
Senior - BHPian

went to check out the pana. they had only pana pv8 quoted for 51k, the pv80 was for 61k what the hell?

samsung series 3, 46 inch was for 47k though.

what the diff between the above 3? are samsung plasma's good?
Old 18th May 2009, 12:45   #2619
BHPian

hey guys need urgent help,buying a 32 inch lcd for parents-mainly cable tv +dvd movies?which model to go for between sony n lg?dont want to pay extra for features my parents wont be using.....full hd for ex.
Old 18th May 2009, 13:02   #2620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
not to mention the samsung LED displays are edge dimming and not local dimming ones. The edge dimming LED displays are no better than the LCDs of today - so no point in going for them as of now ! Local dimming LED TVs will be much more expensive (from Sony i guess)

PS - got the local dimming vs edge dimming insight from cvvikram's link posted above "LED TV vs LCD TV : LCD TV Buying Guide covers LED vs LCD"
I think though local dimming is better than edge dimming , edge dimming LED TV looks better than similar LCD TVs. e.g. recently launched samsung LED tvs have contrast ratio of 100000:1 which you can find in only very expensive LCD tvs ( much more expensive than this LED tv). I saw samsung led tv in chroma today it looks are too good and quality of picture was same or better ( but surely not inferior to neighouring sony bravias).
Old 18th May 2009, 13:38   #2621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I think though local dimming is better than edge dimming , edge dimming LED TV looks better than similar LCD TVs. e.g. recently launched samsung LED tvs have contrast ratio of 100000:1 which you can find in only very expensive LCD tvs ( much more expensive than this LED tv). I saw samsung led tv in chroma today it looks are too good and quality of picture was same or better ( but surely not inferior to neighouring sony bravias).
i am guessing thats the dynamic contrast ratio (like saying 10000 watts pmpo in audio) - whats the real spec?
Old 18th May 2009, 13:46   #2622
BHPian

help

hey guys,
In laws need a new TV. Budget is about 20k.
They were planning on a CRT, but I can convince them to go for LCD - even if it is a smaller one.

So, one question is, having owned an LCD, would you prefer a smaller LCD than a bigger CRT? For instance, 22 inch LCD versus 29 inch CRT?

If we do go for LCD, which models are good and what features should i be looking for (It is most likely going to be used only for TV or DVD, so i am not looking at things like HDMI etc).

I saw some models and it looks like Samsung/LG/Onida etc are decent brands in this space. Which brand is good with good service/support?
Old 18th May 2009, 17:51   #2623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
hey guys need urgent help,buying a 32 inch lcd for parents-mainly cable tv +dvd movies?which model to go for between sony n lg?dont want to pay extra for features my parents wont be using.....full hd for ex.

would suggest the samsung series 4: 32a450 rather than a lg, picked up one three days back for rs: 32,400.

next good bet would be the panasonic 32lx80/85 (bit confused with the model number, was getting it for 32k here in hyd.)

Quote:
So, one question is, having owned an LCD, would you prefer a smaller LCD than a bigger CRT? For instance, 22 inch LCD versus 29 inch CRT?
would suggest a 29" crt rather than a 22" lcd, as all the lcd's below 26" these dont have a very high contrast ratio and arent that awesome, atleast thats whats my experience with my 19" sony t-series has shown me. its perfect as a secondary tv, but as a primary one i would rather buy a 29" sony or panasonic.

Last edited by aadix : 18th May 2009 at 17:56.
Old 18th May 2009, 19:09   #2624
Senior - BHPian

deep bang: personally i feel you should go in for a 29 inch crt.check out the new slim tv range from samsung. they retail for around 20k and are half the size in width compared to converntional 29 in crt's.
Old 18th May 2009, 20:34   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
hey guys,
In laws need a new TV. Budget is about 20k.
They were planning on a CRT, but I can convince them to go for LCD - even if it is a smaller one.

If we do go for LCD, which models are good and what features should i be looking for (It is most likely going to be used only for TV or DVD, so i am not looking at things like HDMI etc).

I saw some models and it looks like Samsung/LG/Onida etc are decent brands in this space. Which brand is good with good service/support?
cheap LCDs still don't beat CRTs in terms of picture quality, Infact most LCDs don't do a good job with picture quality. Plasmas and CRTs are recommended, especially if you are watching a lot of SD or regular tv.
I would recommend one of those slim CRTs as plasmas are not available in your size or budget.
Good Luck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks