Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2009, 17:17   #2476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarun View Post
Guys,

Samsung: 32", Series 3, prices quoted 30200/-.

Sharp: 32A33: Available at Ezone for 30990/-,No PIP, 2HDMI. T

Other produts: ??

So people, pls advise.

Tarun

Prices are on the higher side
Old 12th February 2009, 13:28   #2477
BHPian

Pioneer exits flat tv

Pioneer to exit flat TV market, cut 10,000 jobs

Since many have been telling they have the best image processor ( i am assuming the panels are shared with others ) any chance Panny, samsung would buy it from them and put it in their own TVs?
Old 14th February 2009, 22:52   #2478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Sharp panels are made in Japan. Panasonic & Hitachi also get their panels from Japan.

Technology-wise Sharp is the king when it comes to LCD, but can't say the same when it comes to sales figures. I too was confused between Panasonic & Sharp, but finally made up my mind to go in for Sharp. The problem with Sharp is the limited dealer network, atleast in Chennai, and the big dealers don't stock the latest models. They are still pushing L33, whereas newer models like L53 and L65 have been launched already, and only some smaller dealers are stocking them.

Sony is good if you are looking at X series and especially Bravia-4 engine. The S & V (with Bravia / Bravia2) series are nothing much to talk about. They are purely meant for selling in the mass segment in competition with Samsung & LG.

Thanks. I checked and found that the panels are made in Japan. The complete product overall was a still mystery.

Found another LCD in my budget, Panasonic 32LE8C at Croma. So now the choice becomes tougher with 3 models:
  • SAMSUNG 32", A330, 30200/-
  • SHARP 32A33, 28500/- ( THE PRICES JUST REDUCED FOR 2 DAYS AT EZONE)
  • PANASONIC: 32LE8C 31990/-

So people, help in making the decision.

Tarun
Old 14th February 2009, 23:12   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarun View Post
Thanks. I checked and found that the panels are made in Japan. The complete product overall was a still mystery.

Found another LCD in my budget, Panasonic 32LE8C at Croma. So now the choice becomes tougher with 3 models:
  • SAMSUNG 32", A330, 30200/-
  • SHARP 32A33, 28500/- ( THE PRICES JUST REDUCED FOR 2 DAYS AT EZONE)
  • PANASONIC: 32LE8C 31990/-
So people, help in making the decision.

Tarun
Mate,
I would pick Pana 32 its a stunning TV. My friend had the same predicament and in overall rating Pana won. We got it for 30k from J D Electronics. If you want the same price, contact Vaibhav of J D Electronics (91-92822 14702) and refer my name or our forum. He delivers it across India and I and few of our members are impressed with his service.
Old 14th February 2009, 23:27   #2480
Senior - BHPian

hey guys,

any idea on pricing of the 50" panasonic plasma tvs?
Old 15th February 2009, 00:26   #2481
Senior - BHPian

Simple Q's guys -
A Plasma is better to own or a LCD. as i understand Plasmas are cheaper in rate.
Old 15th February 2009, 00:52   #2482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Simple Q's guys -
A Plasma is better to own or a LCD. as i understand Plasmas are cheaper in rate.
plasma - and you need to read the last 30 or so pages for reasons worth a read i say
Old 15th February 2009, 10:40   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Simple Q's guys -
You will find a lot of material on this on the web.
Also you might have noted that of late this thread is hijacked by Plasma die had fans

Some of these may be as per "My opinion", So don't take them as written in the holy grail.

In comparison

LCD
**Good**
-Less power consumption at least 30% less, light weight, Have sleeker designs, Richer colors, Higher native resolutions for same screen size, Longer pixel life (min 60k hrs)

**Not So Good **
-No rich blacks for SD broadcast, motion blur for older models when viewing rapid moving actions.

Plasma
**Good***
-Rich blacks (only for SD/not true for HD material), better viewing angles, Bang for the buck (for large screen sizes)

**Not So Good**
- Screen burn in (less for newer models), shorter pixel life in comparison(starts at 30k hrs)

Final conclusion
If you are looking at
< 42" = LCD
> 42" = Plasma
> 48" = Gor for a 720p or 1080p Projector

You can now audition both Plasma and LCD and verify the points listed above and come to your own conclusion.

Brands worth a check
LCD - Samsung / Sony
Plasma - Panasonic

Also be aware that Sony will always looks brilliant in the showroom. This is by virtue of the excellent HD content that its streaming. So its better you take your own DVD's so that you are measuring all the TV's using the same scale.

-Fillmore
Old 15th February 2009, 16:33   #2484
BHPian

Well, both the **Not So Good** points about plasmas are no longer relevant with the latest plasmas. So plasmas win in overall ratings.
Old 15th February 2009, 17:21   #2485
Senior - BHPian

The longest pixel life being claimed these days is 60,000 hours. It is possible and likely that many pixels will have failed prematurely, though the display as a whole might keep working with this reduced number of pixels.
Of the technologies currently available the highest failure rates have been with LCDs!
Just some facts that need to be borne in mind. So, finally, a person has to work out the economics for himself.
Old 15th February 2009, 18:20   #2486
BHPian

Hey, I bought a new TV for my cousin recently n the shop guy (Ezone) showed me the difference btwn a flicker-free LCD TV & other LCDs. He wanted us to see the difference made by 100 Hz support where the ticking text is almost flicker free on a 100hz tv compared to the other TVs.

I think this is somehting which should be checked if you are buying an LCD - View a channel like CNBC which has a stock quote ticker (or any news channel which has fast moving text ticker) at the bottom and see the difference between different models and make your pick.
Old 15th February 2009, 18:57   #2487
BHPian

plasmas no longer have screen burn in issues and panasonic plasmas have a life of 100,000 hrs (not 30k as mentioned above) - there is all this and more "factual" plasma information on this thread - most of the personal opinion here is based on facts and reviews from cnet, av magazine, etc which still rate plasmas as the best displays (HD and SD viewing). LCD makers have now realized their mistake of abandoning plasma pre-maturely and know very well lcds have some clear limitations and are hence looking at OLED displays.
If skimming through this thread is difficult (i had a tough time when I came here), then please do visit cnet, etc and read the reviews. Things will be very clear.

Last edited by jassi : 15th February 2009 at 19:01.
Old 15th February 2009, 19:39   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
... most of the personal opinion here is based on facts and reviews from cnet, av magazine, etc which still rate plasmas as the best displays (HD and SD viewing).
This would be to the exclusion of CRT HD TVs, I presume. Aren't those the best by far?
Plasmas and LCDs are much more amenable to digital sources. That is their main strength.
Kindly advise, if incorrect. Sorry I haven't been through all the cnet articles yet.
Old 15th February 2009, 20:05   #2489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
This would be to the exclusion of CRT HD TVs, I presume. Aren't those the best by far?
Plasmas and LCDs are much more amenable to digital sources. That is their main strength.
Kindly advise, if incorrect. Sorry I haven't been through all the cnet articles yet.
I am guessing CRT HDs (if they are sold in india) maybe better - but I haven't researched on CRTs. I do know that Rear Projection HDTVs were much higher rated for pic quality and VFM, till sony discontinued them last year.

@anup - i was using the sony RPTV and replaced it with plasma before the lamp wore out. CRTs are good for smaller sizes but i abandoned that technology when I went from 29" to 42"

Last edited by jassi : 15th February 2009 at 20:23.
Old 15th February 2009, 20:13   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Jassi, I do know from sites other than cnet that the CRT remains king.
The problems come with size. For large, really large, sizes, CRT does not remain a viable option.
Projection TVs, while they are highly effective, suffer from the problem of lamp maintenance and replacement.
Which is why I still remain old fashioned and go for CRT! My needs for size do not exceed 29 inches (small home!).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks