Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2006, 22:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

BSNL BroadBand Issues

Hey Folks

Can someone please give me the number for BSNL broadband customer service or even the technical team for assistance.
Damn connection of mine works once in a while @ home though its a broadband connection. Its got onto my nerves now and want to blast the sh** outta these loosers.
These chaps have the adocity to send a bill on the exact date even though there is no connectivity for 15 days in a month.

Afterall its a gov' based org' and cant expect much but yeah for my peace of mind, any help with the correct contact numbers will be of great help.

Have checked the BSNL website and no complaint logging numbers is available. All I can do is complain with the local exchange dumbo's who cant even understand what the implication of an IP address is.

Issue persists with the DNS lookup table where my IP address isnt being registered with the DNS.

So do post the number if someone has access to it.

Thanks in advance
Old 12th December 2006, 08:43   #2
ECM
BHPian

Dial 1957 though you have not mentioned much about your connection(wi-fi or asdl type)cant comment much but here are some general solutions.
Do you get this?->ADSL link used to be an Orange stable light and suddenly it has become Green stable light.??
ORin WAN channel of the summary, I noticed that the PPPoE status has turned red?
--------------------
1.if your computer is working on xp,win2000 click start->run->type cmd->bring up the dos prompt->in dos prompt type: ipconfig -> hit enter -> check for the default gateway address -> open internet explorer.. type the gateway address and hit go.. u will be in modem's webpage.
For more details I advise you to check this beautiful forum and seek any help if problem persists.
vinuthomas.com >> Discussion Forum >> BSNL Dataone >> BSNL Dataone
--------------------
Which modem are you using mate?You purchased it or the one given by BSNL?Read this...Is BSNL DataOne Modem a Time Bomb for other Brands Modems?

Hi Everyone,

Have you finally purchased the BSNL provided modem after long try of using the modem you purchased from your nearby shop or from other private suppliers?

Here I am also one of the victim but with great escape from buying BSNL modem.

I tell the story …

I am a computer reseller trying to sell a Branded modem to my regular customers. I installed 10 to 12 modems to my customer place. Here the problem arise. When my customers try to open websites like yahoo or rediff. The first page will open quickly. And after giving their username and password the browser shows “Page can’t display error message” and also some times page opens normally some other times it won’t.

I try to contact BSNL customer support. I went to BSNL office and inform them about the problem. Every time they try to teach me ABCD and their spoon feeding lessons. Finally they recommend me to buy their BSNL’s DataOne branded modem. I ask them to demonstrate their modem.

Finally they provide me a modem that was working great without “Page can’t display error message”. At the same time I removed their modem and try to browse using my modem. Using my modem I often get “Page can’t display error message”. How could this can be happed and my modem is also a class 1 and certified modem?

I contact my modem supplier and my supplier said confidently this is a good modem. Finally I contact my modem supplier technical support and they help me to pinpoint the problem. Regarding this problem I contact BSNL officials more than one week. But my supplier solve my problem within 30 Minutes.

Here is my point is privatization is good and must in Public sector. BSNL customer service is very very poor and no one pickup the phone after 5:30 PM. Very very lazy people just only come to office to pass their day.

This is the full story. The DNS server address provided by BSNL 61.1.96.69 and 61.1.96.71 is pre planned with master mindedly working only with BSNL Dataone modem only. This is a Time Bomb to other private modem brand and private modem supplier.

Why they pre planned and indirectly force customer to buy BSNL Modem only? This is the idea of Our Indian Minister getting good commission from the regular supplier and give them regular order of modem without loosing his\her regular bribe commission.

How did I over come from the problem? The Answer is I stopped using BSNL’s DNS Server and I am using public DNS server IP as my default DNL server. The problem is over and no “Page can’t be display error message” and now I can browse without error messages. So wisely change your DNS server and escape from BNSL Time Bomb

Last edited by ECM : 12th December 2006 at 08:52. Reason: Added one more msg for this member.........Oum shanti shanti!
Old 12th December 2006, 09:16   #3
BHPian

I hate it,it s testing my patience,it s always disconnecting while i am downloading.
Old 12th December 2006, 10:02   #4
BHPian

Oh my God! I just applied for the BSNL Broadband connection. The Airtel guys says they can't lay the cable to our house. What kind of service we have in India.......

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th December 2006 at 11:15.
Old 12th December 2006, 11:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

BSNL service is usually good. But if you get a problem you have to run after them.
I suggest you go to the exchange and get hold of the lineman. Most probably its some fault in their line. go to slightly higher level. They are overeager to meet targets and always helpful.
For more help on how to proceed a better place would be the one suggested by ECM(vinuthomas forums)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th December 2006 at 14:24.
Old 12th December 2006, 11:19   #6
BHPian

Try to change the DNS. What DNS are you using currently? Are you sharing internet via lan to other PCs?
Old 12th December 2006, 12:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

BSNL's help desk number for all issues is 1500. Dial that from a BSNL number, and navigate through the options to reach cust service.

Agree with Tanveer about the service. I have a BSNL's modem, and have had just two problems in more than a year.

1. The power switch on the modem conked out, and was iffy - used to work some times, and wouldnt at other times. This was a hardware fault, and I got a replacement.

2. DNS errors / page could not be found. This is even when link is up - but has always happened only when I first connect. Work around: I login to BSNL web-site to check my account status - usage etc. The moment I even connect to BSNL's web-site, every thing else works just fine - the connectivity just falls into place. Once the connectivity is established, I havent seen any problems.

Last edited by condor : 12th December 2006 at 12:15. Reason: Clarity about #2
Old 12th December 2006, 12:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have been using BSNL Broadband for the last one year. There used to be some issues initially. The adapter had conked off once. But once that was rectified, the connection has been working seamlessly. I have had no issues at all for close to 10 months now. Once in a while, their server will be down, but that's it.

Yes, they work more like babus. But each and every telephone exchange will have some good individuals. I have one for my exchange who is very sincere and I just call him and bypass the whole call center mess. This has worked for me.
Old 12th December 2006, 14:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Me too had some connection problems for the last couple of days. called them & they informed that they had some server problems which was rectified on monday morning 10.00am. i have compained twice in the last 3 days & always my call was returned the next day to check if everything was ok.

Toll Free Number is 1800 424 1600
Old 12th December 2006, 14:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

hey folks thanks for the prompt replies.

The situation here is that the " DNS lookup table" my IP address isnt being registered with the DNS. Now once an address lease is created in the DHCP, these IP adresses needs to be authorized in the DHCP.

If the authorization isnt done, ideally problems will persist with the DNS lookup because there will be no leased/authorized IP addresses in the DNS address pool.
Common problem faced while setting up a VLAN.

Still have nothing concrete to prove the fact that the DNS is the root cause here because DNS IP resolution is required only for initial connection. I can get connected , issue is that the connection drops mid-way.

The DNS ip address as provided by BSNL is as below.

Preferred DNS : 192.168.1.100
Alternate DNS : 69.1.96.71

No idea if these DNS servers are facing any kind of overload issues, which could be another cause why the connection is being dropped.

@ECM your initial query was " Do you get this?->ADSL link used to be an Orange stable light and suddenly it has become Green stable light.?? ".
That damn thingy is always green . Its the activity LED which acts a little funny and goes to sleep as per convinience.

I am using the BSNL provided modem from the brand [SIZE=-1]Huawei.
I have managed to get another alternate DNS server ip address from the forum mentioned.

[/SIZE]Currently using 61.1.96.69 as preferred DNS server and 61.1.96.71 as alternate DNS server.Lets see how this works.
Browser : Firefox (IE s**k's )

Will keep you all posted.

Cheers
rjstyles69
Old 12th December 2006, 14:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The DNS ip address as provided by BSNL is as below.

Preferred DNS : 192.168.1.100

rjstyles69
192.168.1.100 should be your system IP address and not DNS. The DNS address given by BSNl is

69.1.96.69 and 69.1.96.71
Old 12th December 2006, 14:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohithdr View Post
192.168.1.100 should be your system IP address and not DNS. The DNS address given by BSNl is 69.1.96.69 and 69.1.96.71
Sorry mate was a typo. Will repost the DNS ip as given by BSNL.
Preferred DNS : 192.168.1.1

Anyways have changed the same and lets see how the new DNS works.
Old 12th December 2006, 14:48   #13
Team-BHP Support

If your download is breaking mid download, its not a DNS issue.
DNS issue would be if you cannot resolve addresses.
This is a connection problem. If you cant connect even when there is DSL connection, then DNS is the chief culprit.

Modems have 4 lights(UT star)
Power, link, DSL, ethernet. Color is red, orange, green, green. Not too sure how is it on Huwai modem? Does it have 4 lights too?
If you see that the link and DSL line is off, this means a connection issue. Read your DSL modem user manual. that will tell what the lights mean.
If all 4 lights are working and still you cannot connect to a website it may be DNS issue or a server side issue.
you can install treewalk on your machine. This is a free DNS server.
All you need to do is change your DNS in your settings to the DNS of your own machine for example if your machine has IP address 192.168.1.2, then you need to put that in DNS field.
I suggest you use some download accelerator with resume facility. SO if your connection breaks for a few minutes in the night, there wont be a problem as the accelerator will start downloading again as soon as link is available again.
Running your own DNS server has its advantages. You are not dependent on some third party site.
google for treewalk and install
Old 12th December 2006, 18:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

do you use ADSL router.
192.168.1.1 is the routers IP address.if yes change DNS servers in your router to Open DNS servers, www.opendns.com
if you dont use router change dns servers in your connections networks settings.
BSNL servers sometimes have problems.

Preferred DNS : 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS : 208.67.220.220

Last edited by merve_extreme : 12th December 2006 at 18:40.
Old 12th December 2006, 21:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

hey guys got this fixed people. Thanks for all your valuable input on this.
Called BSNL and blasted the sh*t out of them and I got a call from the techincal team, explained the situation clearly and they got this resolved in about an hours time. The dude dint want to disclose what they did to fix the problem though but said Saar DNS resolution problem.

I checked the VinuThomas forum and loads of info. found.
@tsk1979 thanks for your input on this because I tried the treewalk.Did help but this limits the extent to which I can tweak firefox with the addons and optimizers(eg : about:config).
OpenDNS also works to a certain extent, but once again all this would work only if your IP is registered in the DNS pool and the connection needs to be constant without timing out.

Once again like @tsk1979 said "DNS issue would be if you cannot resolve addresses". Thats where the problem was hiding because my IP address wasnt resolving with the DNS and thats why the page wouldnt load.

@merve_extreme I use a ADSL modem.

Thanks a ton people for your help on this.

@tsk1979 please do the honours of closing the thread as per your convinience.

T-BHP rocks !!!
cheers folks cheers:

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 12th December 2006 at 21:08.

Most Viewed