Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2012, 12:59   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Lately facing issue of disconnection come evening say from 7-9 PM when the internet light goes off intermittently in the basic type modem used.

This has become a very frustrating issue with unreliable connectivity. Any solution to overcome the same?
Old 7th November 2012, 14:36   #737
BHPian

I too have been seeing this problem from the past one month. I have been using BSNL from past 4 years or so but this is the first time this issue is seen. It happens only in the evening as you pointed out. It keeps going on and off. I have checked the lines and modem and everything works just fine through out the day except for the evening.
Old 8th November 2012, 20:52   #738
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I'm totally fed up with BSNL's connectivity problems of late. The connection was simply excellent till about a year ago. Then slowly, the problems began to crop up. Now, it's gotten to the point where it's a pain to use with frequently dropped connections. I've changed the DSL filter twice to no effect. I chose to decline the modems provided by BSNL and bought my own modem instead. I have a Netgear ADSL modem hooked up to a Netgear WGR-614 wireless router. The Netgear products are of very good quality and have never given me any kind of trouble whatsoever. It's the BSNL connection itself which is the problem.

I'm cancelling the DSL subscription soon, keeping only the landline. I just got a D-link My Pocket Router. It can share any 3G/EVDO connection from a USB data card or cell phone over Wi-fi as well as through an Ethernet port. It can also act as a normal wireless router when the Ethernet port is connected to a cable/DSL modem.

The actual speed provided by MTS's CDMA EVDO Rev A connection (in my area at least) through the ZTE USB data card is much less than than the advertised "upto 3.1 Mbps" and also lower than what I got from BSNL's DSL. Still, this is more reliable and I plan to use this as the primary connection. I've simply had enough of the headaches caused by BSNL.

Last edited by RSR : 8th November 2012 at 21:20.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:11   #739
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using the DSL-2750U D-Link Wifi Modem? I ordered one seeing very good reviews on Flipkart, but later came across some forums where people complain about frequent ADSL connection drops. If any of you is using this, please share your experience with this Router.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:30   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Anyone using the DSL-2750U D-Link Wifi Modem? I ordered one seeing very good reviews on Flipkart, but later came across some forums where people complain about frequent ADSL connection drops. If any of you is using this, please share your experience with this Router.
I have been using this router since more than a year now. The router has been continuously running day and night on MTNL broadband without any issues. Usage is also heavy since my wife and kid both are hooked on to you tube.
I will give it a good rating for sure.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:46   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am experiencing lots of connection drop and also the Wifi signal is too weak compared to any other wifi router. I still regret buying this D Link 2750U. I would strongly recommend you any other device than this.
Old 8th January 2013, 15:26   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I am experiencing lots of connection drop and also the Wifi signal is too weak compared to any other wifi router. I still regret buying this D Link 2750U. I would strongly recommend you any other device than this.
Drop issues could be from BSNL end also. Why don't you try with some other router and see if it makes any difference. If the same persists then you know where the fault lies.

WiFi signal strength is directly dependent on the position of the router and also the device which is accessing it. I used to connect 2 phones, Samsung Galaxy SL and HTC Desire S, and both used to show different signal strengths. HTC used to show a single bar and work in areas where the Samsung just blanked out. Also Router should be placed away from walls. Also try and adjust the two antenna and see what works best for you. Its a little trial & error job but works well.

@clevermax - I am sure you must be confused now since back to back post have completely opposite views. My take is at the price at which this comes is good. VFM for sure (typically Indian eh)
Old 8th January 2013, 15:41   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Drop issues could be from BSNL end also. Why don't you try with some other router and see if it makes any difference. If the same persists then you know where the fault lies.

WiFi signal strength is directly dependent on the position of the router and also the device which is accessing it. I used to connect 2 phones, Samsung Galaxy SL and HTC Desire S, and both used to show different signal strengths. HTC used to show a single bar and work in areas where the Samsung just blanked out. Also Router should be placed away from walls. Also try and adjust the two antenna and see what works best for you. Its a little trial & error job but works well.
I have kept Linksys WRT54G Router next to this modem in the second floor and I manage to get the signal of D-Link DSL 2750U just in the room and no where else however Linksys signal can be found in ground, first and third floor without any issues. I understand linksys WRT54G router is in a different league but still i would except the full strength signal of Dlink Modem at-least in the second floor.

Off and On the modem, the connection comes back to normal. I did try all the settings and changed everything possible but no help. BSNL end seems to be fine as the -db are quite good.
Old 8th January 2013, 15:57   #744
BHPian

Quote:
I have kept Linksys WRT54G Router next to this modem in the second floor and I manage to get the signal of D-Link DSL 2750U just in the room and no where else however Linksys signal can be found in ground, first and third floor without any issues. I understand linksys WRT54G router is in a different league but still i would except the full strength signal of Dlink Modem at-least in the second floor.

Off and On the modem, the connection comes back to normal. I did try all the settings and changed everything possible but no help. BSNL end seems to be fine as the -db are quite good.
Have you tried changing the channel of router with signal drop issue? Too much interference in the transmitting channel can adversely affect signal strengths.
Old 8th January 2013, 16:37   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Have you tried changing the channel of router with signal drop issue? Too much interference in the transmitting channel can adversely affect signal strengths.
Where can i change this ?
Old 8th January 2013, 16:42   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Where can i change this ?
You can change it in your router's home page (where you set your SSID).
Old 8th January 2013, 16:55   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
You can change it in your router's home page (where you set your SSID).
thank you, will change this today when i reach home
Old 8th January 2013, 19:05   #748
Senior - BHPian

There are small windows based application available that will tell you which channel is free in your space.
Old 9th January 2013, 11:32   #749
BHPian

Quote:
thank you, will change this today when i reach home
Thank you bhp_maniac
Changed the channel settings today and found the range is better than before but still I do not get the signal in other rooms in the same floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
There are small windows based application available that will tell you which channel is free in your space.
Used your tip and found few scanners. Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 12:13   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you bhp_maniac
Changed the channel settings today and found the range is better than before but still I do not get the signal in other rooms in the same floor.
Used your tip and found few scanners. Thanks
If your router has replaceable antenna, you can try getting one of those cheap high gain antennas from dealextreme. I've tried some of them and found useful. If you use an android phone by chance, try using wifi scanner. Its extremely useful in finding out channel congestion. Also, check for any setting in your router to limit transmitting strength.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks