Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 02:32   #646
BHPian

Bye Bye BSNL BroadBand

After many months of BSNL Broadband Pain and no action to repeated complaints, I finally gave up and went to BSNL Office and requested disconnection of broadband.

Primary causes were
1). weekend black outs since last 6 or more months, Never worked from saturday evening to monday morning.
2). Extreme low speeds for downloads on 512kbps so called unlimited.
3). Disconnection at the time when you need it most, in middle of a transaction, or important online work, this was not due to phone line as my entire locality faces this issue.
4). Reluctant BSNL Staff always saying problem with your PC, or its down from chandigarh/bangalore etc, They never admit their local faults.
5). whole city is a mess with sewer line digging and BSNL OFC gets cut once a week atleast.

So hell with all this and I've moved to Wireless (RIM Netconnect +) full time and vodafone Egde as backup.

Purchased a TP-Link 3G Wireless Router got a sweet discount on ebay using HDFC Coupon and the Router was deilvered in 3 days and costed me Rs.2600 on a list price of 2850 i think.

I am connected to 300mbps WIFI thru 3.2mbps working, Hassle-free Internet, I mostly get 2mbps on Reliance and very happy with it.
It has a Fall-Back support to connect to another source but I no longer have BSNL and with Reliance I don't need to worry about it.

The Router solves my purpose connecting all 3 computers, 1 Android phone and outer was very easy to setup, within 2 minutes after unboxing I was surfing using it with encryption and protected WIFI Access, no need to bang your head with BSNL pathetic service.

Pic of Router
BSNL BroadBand Issues-1.jpg

Router Box Back
BSNL BroadBand Issues-2.jpg

Nicely packed and came with all cables, however you don't need one.
BSNL BroadBand Issues-3.jpg

Fixed it near Window but it hardly matters, Infact the idea was to keep it away from work table though.
BSNL BroadBand Issues-inaction.jpg

Last edited by ghpk : 13th December 2011 at 02:33.
Old 13th December 2011, 13:31   #647
BHPian

Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Not sure if this is the right thread to post since it is not a problem I am reporting. Has anyone else had their BSNL broadband speeds bumped up automatically?

I have a 256 kbps line. The usual download speeds one gets fluctuates between 25 and 30 Kpbs. Of late (past week or so), the speeds have jumped through the roof. 55-60 Kbps has more or less become the norm. At times the speeds even get into three figures. Has BSNL finally done what they had been promising to do? Guarantee a minimum speed but get rid of speed restrictions if additional bandwidth is available? If this is true, then good times indeed are ahead!
Old 13th December 2011, 13:39   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Has anyone else had their BSNL broadband speeds bumped up automatically?

I am also facing this good problem....oops....its bsnl and problem go hand in hand.

I was getting 50-80 kbps but during last fortnight its 200-300 kbps,
my laptop is not comfortable with such deadly speed , you know.
Old 13th December 2011, 14:10   #649
Senior - BHPian

I have also noticed that my BSNL broadband is noticeably fast even during busy hours.
Old 13th December 2011, 16:17   #650
Senior - BHPian

No such 'problem' at my end in Pune.
My line always delivers the promised 2 Mbps -whether day or night - peak or off-peak.
Only issue is that it disconnects several times in an hour sometimes.
Old 13th December 2011, 16:27   #651
Senior - BHPian

I too had that disconnection issue until recently. Looks like it is finally solved by changing the port, but another problem surfaced- 256 kbps d/l as against plan's 512 kbps. Had to wait for one more week to get that resolved, so now it is working fine. I have no problem as stated above, though! :(
Old 13th December 2011, 17:12   #652
Senior - BHPian

No such problems in Bangalore. I find that the speeds are not as good as it was earlier.
Old 13th December 2011, 18:57   #653
BHPian

Re: Bye Bye BSNL BroadBand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
After many months of BSNL Broadband Pain and no action to repeated complaints, I finally gave up and went to BSNL Office and requested disconnection of broadband.

<snip>....</snip>
How are you connecting that reliance usb modem?
Is it directly to this TP Link router usb port?
Old 13th December 2011, 19:33   #654
BHPian

I'm enjoying 260-280 Kb/s downloads on my 2 Mbps landline from 2 Am to 8 Am.

The only issues is rains. When rains come, some grounding problem happens and bandwidth drops slightly.
Old 13th December 2011, 20:55   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
How are you connecting that reliance usb modem?
Is it directly to this TP Link router usb port?
Its directly Inserted to Router, see the pic closely, the modem is between the 2 antenna shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
I'm enjoying 260-280 Kb/s downloads on my 2 Mbps landline from 2 Am to 8 Am.

The only issues is rains. When rains come, some grounding problem happens and bandwidth drops slightly.
That worked for me for years, until the city was shaken by sewer digging.
I used to average download 70-80GB a month on same 2AM to 8AM night unlimited thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to post since it is not a problem I am reporting. Has anyone else had their BSNL broadband speeds bumped up automatically?

I have a 256 kbps line. The usual download speeds one gets fluctuates between 25 and 30 Kpbs. Of late (past week or so), the speeds have jumped through the roof. 55-60 Kbps has more or less become the norm. At times the speeds even get into three figures. Has BSNL finally done what they had been promising to do? Guarantee a minimum speed but get rid of speed restrictions if additional bandwidth is available? If this is true, then good times indeed are ahead!
I've read somewhere BSNL has promised to Double to speed on Broadband recently, this is very well implemented on Developed States like AP, KA, but I am from U.P. where BSNL is even insult to word pathetic.

You can view the plan details on your portal and it should have mention of the new applicable plan already.
Old 13th December 2011, 21:30   #656
BHPian

70-80 GB is quite a lot man! I've never exceeded 40 Gb. Oh and one more thing with Bsnl Broadband is, that I have to get up and switch off/on the modem manually... Scheduling does not work at all, tried it a lot but the packets keep transmitting, hence the log time in the server needs a manual switching on/off.

Thats the only catch in this plan, what with me and my colleagues having to run to the PC while 8 am approaches in the morning
Old 13th December 2011, 23:16   #657
Senior - BHPian

^40GB is quite a lot man! I've never exceeded 14 GB. :P
Sorry pulling your leg here.
Anyway, I tried registering on the selfcare.ndc.bsnl.in portal, but our 1504 helpline guy says that this meant for rural areas only. For Pune we are supposed to use data.bsnl.in only.
There is one more portal (portal.bsnl.in) where I have registered, but they don't seem to be interested in activating it. I have requested them again today on phone; let's see what happens tomorrow.

Edit: I generally disconnect at 7:58 automatically since I am using bridge mode.
http://www.syncnext.com/bsnl/broadba...ction/149.html

Last edited by S_U_N : 13th December 2011 at 23:18.
Old 14th December 2011, 01:29   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
70-80 GB is quite a lot man! I've never exceeded 40 Gb. Oh and one more thing with Bsnl Broadband is, that I have to get up and switch off/on the modem manually... Scheduling does not work at all, tried it a lot but the packets keep transmitting, hence the log time in the server needs a manual switching on/off.

Thats the only catch in this plan, what with me and my colleagues having to run to the PC while 8 am approaches in the morning
yups thats a lot, but gone are those days, Now I am on RIM, its good to be on seamless connectivity than to cry for help all day long.

I always re-connected multiple times at 2 A.M. some BSNL units have their clocks little off the IST. so better to do multiple re-connect.

I also used a very tiny software "Intelligent Shutdown" which shutsdown system at 7:55AM, so no over billing beyond night unlimited time slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^40GB is quite a lot man! I've never exceeded 14 GB. :P
Sorry pulling your leg here.
Anyway, I tried registering on the selfcare.ndc.bsnl.in portal, but our 1504 helpline guy says that this meant for rural areas only. For Pune we are supposed to use data.bsnl.in only.
There is one more portal (portal.bsnl.in) where I have registered, but they don't seem to be interested in activating it. I have requested them again today on phone; let's see what happens tomorrow.

Edit: I generally disconnect at 7:58 automatically since I am using bridge mode.
Batch Scheduling for Automatic Connection to Broadband for Night Downloads | SyncNext
I was using 80+ GB during nights, and never crossed 2.5GB daytime usage :-)

Don't trust helpline guys, they can waste your time on any irrelevant information which you are not even asking.

Most BSNL units have their own selfcare URL, try digging thru their website and I am sure you should be able to get hold of yours.
Also you must use correct Customer ID which is mentioned on hardcopy of bills.
Old 14th December 2011, 06:57   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What are you trying to activate in the first place? and that too by calling the rural extension number
Old 14th December 2011, 11:46   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
...but I am from U.P. where BSNL is even insult to word pathetic...
UP itself is an insult to this country. My mother hails from the state and it pains me every time I see someone like Mayawati or Mulayam Singh elected to power. What else can you expect in such a state?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks