Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 16:46   #526
BHPian

Re: BSNL ADSL Setup step by step configure procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thanks mate! The price makes it attractive, but I'm wondering how this seller is selling MTNL branded modems. AFAIK, they are supposed to be available with MTNL only.

Did you manage to get it to work?
The modem is not working

DSL LED is not stable

When contacted, the seller is ready for a replacement and am sending it today.

On Ebay you can see many such co/branded things for sale. Last week I've bought a Samsung galaxy for 10750, now its available for just 9.8K and that too from MF Warranty.

eBay India: Samsung Galaxy 5 i5503 Seal Pack 2GB MMC+3G & MF Warran (item 290496265301 end time 03-Jan-2011 19:39:31 IST)
Old 28th December 2010, 16:50   #527
BHPian

Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
Hi All

I have upgraded to BSNL 750 UL home combo plan recently from BBG FN 500

For connecting i am using the following hardware :

UT starcom modem (from my previous provider) along with netgear router.

The problem is I am getting max speed of 28-30 kbps at time of downloading which I think is quite less.

Can anyone help me in resolving the issue ?
Thanks
First of all as Raccoon said, please post the page showing the following details.

1) Downstream data rate and SNR
2) Upstream data rate and SNR.

For your connection the values should be 2048+ for downstream and 512-1024 for up stream. Regarding SNR values, you should have a minimum of around 14-15 db for an error free link. Low SNRs of around 8-9db also will work with certain modems. If all these parameters are ok, then do a speed test

For all download speed issues, I'd suggest a speed test to be done at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test. Use the Mumbai server for testing. For your plan you should get a speed of 1.5-2Mbps which should be around 200-256 kBps.

Another question is, Is the low speed issue when downloading torrents or normal downloads?
Old 28th December 2010, 16:52   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
The modem is not working

DSL LED is not stable

On Ebay you can see many such co/branded things for sale. Last week I've bought a Samsung galaxy for 10750, now its available for just 9.8K and that too from MF Warranty.

eBay India: Samsung Galaxy 5 i5503 Seal Pack 2GB MMC+3G & MF Warran (item 290496265301 end time 03-Jan-2011 19:39:31 IST)
Have you tried with a different modem? DSL LED is not stable means, is it trying to get stable or is it just blinking in the same interval?
Old 28th December 2010, 17:57   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The modem is not working

DSL LED is not stable

Ooops, this is the problem with online purchases. Now I guess you will have to bear the courier cost and the hassle of packing, etc. Also, many courier companies don't accept electronic stuff. Faced a similar issue last month. :(

On the link eBay link you have posted, the main picture is of Galaxy 3 and actual product is Galaxy 5! As for the price, the current price in reputed online stores like Flipkart is 9149. So you can be sure you'll get it for even less if you buy from small local stores. You have actually paid a pretty high price.

It still doesn't explain how the seller is offering MTNL branded modems... Btw, does the modem look like brand new? Worst is they seem not to be sealed as the seller has mentioned that they test it on Airtel BB before selling.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th December 2010 at 17:58.
Old 28th December 2010, 20:54   #530
BHPian

Guys I am having a problem. Some sites including gmail, facebook etc are not opening in my computer. It shows this message

BSNL BroadBand Issues-clipboard01.jpg

BSNL BroadBand Issues-clipboard04.jpg

There was no problem half an hour ago. Please help

Rgds.
Old 28th December 2010, 22:12   #531
Senior - BHPian

^I also experience random blockage from opendns. it gets rectified later. use dnsadvantage or other free DNS/BSNL DNS .
Old 29th December 2010, 08:27   #532
BHPian

Quote:
^^^Please post the page from the Modem config which mentions the SNR margin, "connected at" speeds, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
First of all as Raccoon said, please post the page showing the following details.

1) Downstream data rate and SNR
2) Upstream data rate and SNR.

For your connection the values should be 2048+ for downstream and 512-1024 for up stream. Regarding SNR values, you should have a minimum of around 14-15 db for an error free link. Low SNRs of around 8-9db also will work with certain modems. If all these parameters are ok, then do a speed test

For all download speed issues, I'd suggest a speed test to be done at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test. Use the Mumbai server for testing. For your plan you should get a speed of 1.5-2Mbps which should be around 200-256 kBps.

Another question is, Is the low speed issue when downloading torrents or normal downloads?
Hi All

yesterday i tried to figure out SNR and attenuation level for connection but was unable to view this information under configuration page.
after logging onto modem page at http://192.168.1.1 under Maintainence >Router settings , i was able to get the below data .Can anyone pls tell how to view rest of the connection properties(i am using netgear WGR614 router running on latest firmware)

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
BSNL BroadBand Issues-photo-1.jpg  

BSNL BroadBand Issues-photo-2.jpg  

Old 29th December 2010, 09:44   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
Hi All

yesterday i tried to figure out SNR and attenuation level for connection but was unable to view this information under configuration page.
after logging onto modem page at http://192.168.1.1 under Maintainence >Router settings , i was able to get the below data .Can anyone pls tell how to view rest of the connection properties(i am using netgear WGR614 router running on latest firmware)

Thanks
Hi friend,

The page you have opened is the router configuration. WGR 614 from Netgear is a wireless router only. I hope you have a separate ADSL modem from which the Netgear router may be connected. Only on the page of the modem, you will be able to find out the SNR and data rate figures. For that you can do the following thing.

Step 1: Switch OFF the modem and router.

Step 2: There will be a connection (probably ethernet) going from your ADSL modem to the wireless router. Disconnect the connection and connect it directly from modem to your laptop/pc ethernet port.

Step 3: Switch ON the modem and after your DSL LED becomes stable, open the browser and go to http://192.168.1.1. If the modem is having default settings, then you will be able to see the modem configuration page.

Step 4: There will be a status page on the modem configuration from where you can get these figures.
Old 29th December 2010, 09:47   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Guys I am having a problem. Some sites including gmail, facebook etc are not opening in my computer. It shows this message

Attachment 474033

Attachment 474034

There was no problem half an hour ago. Please help

Rgds.
It is due to the DNS issue, this is happening. Probably this will get corrected on its on after some time. If not, you can try using a separate DNS. I've noticed this issue on some networks, especially on VSNL Broadband.
Old 29th December 2010, 11:51   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Have you tried with a different modem? DSL LED is not stable means, is it trying to get stable or is it just blinking in the same interval?
Yes, I do have another Teracom modem which is working fine with the same line. Once the new one is connected the DSL LED is blinking at the same interval continuously.

Quote:
Ooops, this is the problem with online purchases. Now I guess you will have to bear the courier cost and the hassle of packing, etc. Also, many courier companies don't accept electronic stuff. Faced a similar issue last month. :(

On the link eBay link you have posted, the main picture is of Galaxy 3 and actual product is Galaxy 5! As for the price, the current price in reputed online stores like Flipkart is 9149. So you can be sure you'll get it for even less if you buy from small local stores. You have actually paid a pretty high price.

It still doesn't explain how the seller is offering MTNL branded modems... Btw, does the modem look like brand new? Worst is they seem not to be sealed as the seller has mentioned that they test it on Airtel BB before selling.
Oops thats really misleading. I didn't read the listing fully, just the headlines. I've bought a S3 I5801 for that price and it's a nice deal with any other portals/dealers here. BTW, it was not from Ebay but from Letsbuy with ICICI credit card = flat 10% off from the listed price for any products listed there. But you need to have good patience till it arrive, it took almost 2 weeks to get it delivered here.

The modem is a brand new without any scratches with all drivers, cables, splitter etc., can be refurbished at this rate. Its coming in plain brown cartons like in bulk packing cartons which doesn't matter at least for me.

There are chances for getting a wrong/damaged product through online purchases but portals like Ebay will take care of it once you raise a complaint against the seller. Even the return courier charges will be refunded once you send the copy of the AWB to them.
Old 29th December 2010, 15:55   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oops thats really misleading. I didn't read the listing fully, just the headlines. I've bought a S3 I5801 for that price and it's a nice deal with any other portals/dealers here. BTW, it was not from Ebay but from Letsbuy with ICICI credit card = flat 10% off from the listed price for any products listed there. But you need to have good patience till it arrive, it took almost 2 weeks to get it delivered here.

The modem is a brand new without any scratches with all drivers, cables, splitter etc., can be refurbished at this rate. Its coming in plain brown cartons like in bulk packing cartons which doesn't matter at least for me.

There are chances for getting a wrong/damaged product through online purchases but portals like Ebay will take care of it once you raise a complaint against the seller. Even the return courier charges will be refunded once you send the copy of the AWB to them.
Letsbuy.com does not seem to have a good reputation at all, going by the reviews online. Also, they have limited options - mobiles that I'm interested in are not available. The 10 and 15% discount is very attractive, but the negative reviews kept me from placing any order.

The Semindia MTNL modem came in unsealed plain brown cartons?? Thats even more fishy. Even BSNL modems of whichever make come with original cartons.

Ebay refunds the courier charges for returned goods? Thats awesome... will look into their rule book.

Do let us know when you get a replacement from the eBay seller.
Old 29th December 2010, 16:00   #537
Senior - BHPian

I have been using a wired BSNL modem-router till now as I was disinclined to add to EM radiation and didn't really feel the need for WiFi at home, till now. Now the need is there, so I intend to go for a WiFi router, so have one query.

Is it possible to turn off the WiFi part in the modem-router, when not required, and use only the Ethernet port? If it is possible to turn off the WiFi radiation, how does one go about it? From the modem config page, I suppose? Or do hardware switches for the same exist for some routers?

Would really appreciate if anybody using WiFi routers can clarify.

Last edited by Raccoon : 29th December 2010 at 16:01.
Old 29th December 2010, 16:44   #538
BHPian

Quote:
I have been using a wired BSNL modem-router till now as I was disinclined to add to EM radiation and didn't really feel the need for WiFi at home, till now. Now the need is there, so I intend to go for a WiFi router, so have one query.

Is it possible to turn off the WiFi part in the modem-router, when not required, and use only the Ethernet port? If it is possible to turn off the WiFi radiation, how does one go about it? From the modem config page, I suppose? Or do hardware switches for the same exist for some routers?

Would really appreciate if anybody using WiFi routers can clarify.
Most of the Wi-Fi equipped modems do have a software wireless control. You can access it from the modem page. You can disable/enable or change the RF channel from there. Whether the actual wireless hardware is switched off by this operation or not will depend on the software logic
Old 29th December 2010, 23:03   #539
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thats exactly what I'm worried about - whether the RF radiation actually ceases or not.
Old 30th December 2010, 09:08   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friend,

The page you have opened is the router configuration. WGR 614 from Netgear is a wireless router only. I hope you have a separate ADSL modem from which the Netgear router may be connected. Only on the page of the modem, you will be able to find out the SNR and data rate figures. For that you can do the following thing.

Step 1: Switch OFF the modem and router.

Step 2: There will be a connection (probably ethernet) going from your ADSL modem to the wireless router. Disconnect the connection and connect it directly from modem to your laptop/pc ethernet port.

Step 3: Switch ON the modem and after your DSL LED becomes stable, open the browser and go to http://192.168.1.1. If the modem is having default settings, then you will be able to see the modem configuration page.

Step 4: There will be a status page on the modem configuration from where you can get these figures.
Hi

Friend i tried accessing configuration page http://192.168.1.1. on my desktop after disconnecting the router but the page is not opening .
While searching on internet, i found out that in LAN card properties i need to set the following values
IP address: 192.168.1.1
Default gateway : 192.168.1.1
Prefered DNS : 255.255.255.0

i tried this configuration also but even after restarting i am not able to view the configuration page.I am using utstarcom UT-300R2 modem.

Is there anything wrong with the values i am setting up in LAN card properties?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks