Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 00:35   #481
BHPian

I request technical help on some of experts who are already using BSNL broadband. Let me first explain the scenario:

I stay in a duplex house and i have my Type IV UT Starcom Wa3002G4 wireless modem installed on 1st floor bedroom attached to desktop PC (i did this since majority of times i work from home) and i needed an isolated place away from household disturbance. The wireless connectivity is superb on the first floor - I use my laptop and HP printer wirelessly on first floor.

Coming to the ground floor the signal becomes weak and sometimes undetectable. To fix this problem i have following ideas:

1. I wanted to mount an external router at ground floor connecting my BSNL modem on first floor - Will the external modem help in anyway?, since i believe when signals are weak from source (BSNL Modem) to ground floor external router will be of no help. Please advice.
2. if external router will help enhance the signal from BSNL modem and emit good signals at Ground floor which brand of external router is best in the business (of course compatible to make of my ADSL Modem)?

Appreciate inputs from you guys!
Old 16th November 2010, 16:54   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
I request technical help on some of experts who are already using BSNL broadband. Let me first explain the scenario:

I stay in a duplex house and i have my Type IV UT Starcom Wa3002G4 wireless modem installed on 1st floor bedroom attached to desktop PC (i did this since majority of times i work from home) and i needed an isolated place away from household disturbance. The wireless connectivity is superb on the first floor - I use my laptop and HP printer wirelessly on first floor.

Coming to the ground floor the signal becomes weak and sometimes undetectable. To fix this problem i have following ideas:

1. I wanted to mount an external router at ground floor connecting my BSNL modem on first floor - Will the external modem help in anyway?, since i believe when signals are weak from source (BSNL Modem) to ground floor external router will be of no help. Please advice.
2. if external router will help enhance the signal from BSNL modem and emit good signals at Ground floor which brand of external router is best in the business (of course compatible to make of my ADSL Modem)?

Appreciate inputs from you guys!
I am using the same modem, and I use it exactly similar to your configuration. Duplex house, but the difference is that the modem is in the ground floor. You can boost signals by using a WiFi repeater. But before doing any such things, I suggest you check changing the router placement. Orientation, vertical-horizontal etc. affect a lot in such scenarios. Also try changing the channel used since a channel interruption by another source may weaken the signal.
Old 16th November 2010, 18:29   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
You can boost signals by using a WiFi repeater.
Thanks. can you please elaborate more on this? how does this work? Do we connect this to Modem or router? AFAIK we have lot of products available in market serving dual purpose router and repeater?
Old 18th November 2010, 11:00   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Thanks. can you please elaborate more on this? how does this work? Do we connect this to Modem or router? AFAIK we have lot of products available in market serving dual purpose router and repeater?
Simply saying, repeaters are the digital counterparts of normal amplifiers. As an amp in a car audio boosts sound signal, a repeater will pick up weak signals and literally repeats the same with a stronger signal. WiFi repeaters picks up the weak signals from your main WiFi router, and then repeats the same for extended range. In your set up, if nothing works out you can use a WiFi repeater (or simply wifi range extender), in your ground floor which will wirelessly communicate with your main router and extends its range. This being a costlier option, should be implemented after ruling out the feasibility of all other options like alternate placement for the main router. You can find one from the networking H/W suppliers. Good luck

Regarding dual purpose ones, yes there are a lot which will serve the purpose of a router and a repeater. There are models like this from almost all wireless H/W manufacturers.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 18th November 2010 at 11:03. Reason: some more info
Old 18th November 2010, 12:42   #485
BHPian

After 5 years, my BSNL wired modem conked out last week.

My connection had slowed down a lot, a visit to the telephone exchange resulted in a visit from the linesman the same afternoon to my house.

The problem was diagnosed to be with the modem. A backup wired modem was installed for a few days to reconfirm the fault with the modem. The performance was back to normal, confirming that there are issues with the modem

I was given a choice of a wired modem at INR 1,200 vs a wireless modem at 1,800. I chose the wireless & a new Teracom modem was delivered & installed within a day.

Good service from BSNL !
Old 18th November 2010, 16:17   #486
Senior - BHPian

^^^May I ask which modem it was and how long did it last? I had a Huawei which lasted about 5 years. Service here was nothing like what you described. Had to go right upto the CMD's office to get them to move! Pathetic!
Old 18th November 2010, 16:47   #487
BHPian

I have a problem with my connections. Some times sites like nokia, ovi store, some mobile forums are not opening. But during the happy hours they open. And my utorrent is continuously showing tracker error. Tried to open the page through wifi, and it didn't work. Reset the modem, it didn't help. So I concluded it may be the bsnl.

Any one facing similar problem? What should I do?
Old 18th November 2010, 23:49   #488
Senior - BHPian

vaisakhr, search google for "opendns" and how to enable it on your OS.
Old 19th November 2010, 00:05   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Even, I'm facing a similar problem. Sometimes, certain website and blogs don't open here.

PS: I tried accessing those sites by using the Airtel GPRS in my laptop and it works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
vaisakhr, search google for "opendns" and how to enable it on your OS.
Will switching over to Opendns server solve the problem? Anyway, let me try

Amith
Old 19th November 2010, 02:24   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Even, I'm facing a similar problem. Sometimes, certain website and blogs don't open here.

PS: I tried accessing those sites by using the Airtel GPRS in my laptop and it works fine.

Will switching over to Opendns server solve the problem? Anyway, let me try

Amith
Yes opendns will certainly solve this issue.
Old 21st November 2010, 21:15   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
I have a problem with my connections. Some times sites like nokia, ovi store, some mobile forums are not opening. But during the happy hours they open. And my utorrent is continuously showing tracker error. Tried to open the page through wifi, and it didn't work. Reset the modem, it didn't help. So I concluded it may be the bsnl.

Got it fixed. Called my cousin's friend who is working in bsnl, and he told me to set the value of MRU(which is in the setup page of modem config) from 1492 to 1452 bytes. And it worked! Now every site is opening with out a problem.
Old 21st November 2010, 21:54   #492
BHPian

My BSNL modem had a strange problem a week back. All the diagnostics were OK ( links, lights, self test etc) but I was unable to connect to internet. Booked a complaint and within an hour I got a call from the technical team After asking me to check a few things, I was asked to restore the modem to default settings and then re-enter the username details. The modem was back to normal.

Very efficient and courteous service.
Old 22nd November 2010, 00:15   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
My BSNL modem had a strange problem a week back. All the diagnostics were OK ( links, lights, self test etc) but I was unable to connect to internet. Booked a complaint and within an hour I got a call from the technical team After asking me to check a few things, I was asked to restore the modem to default settings and then re-enter the username details. The modem was back to normal.

Very efficient and courteous service.
You are a lucky man, My BSNL broadband now has a habit of sleeping all thru out weekend, goes down on saturday evening and comes back on monday morning, this is i think 10th weekend with same problem, and those sarkaari employees don't give a damn about what torture you went thru.

I am giving a written complaint about this soon to all news papers as complaining to exchange guys is not helping my area at all.

and yes the broadband remains silent in entire locality not just my place.
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:23   #494
Senior - BHPian

Direct action would be better instead of indirect. You and your neighbors should do dharna in the BSNL local AE's office.
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:38   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
You are a lucky man, My BSNL broadband now has a habit of sleeping all thru out weekend, goes down on saturday evening and comes back on monday morning, this is i think 10th weekend with same problem, and those sarkaari employees don't give a damn about what torture you went thru.

I am giving a written complaint about this soon to all news papers as complaining to exchange guys is not helping my area at all.

and yes the broadband remains silent in entire locality not just my place.
Do send across mails to the top management of BSNL in your state. You can get all the contact details of top level management from state website of BSNL. It will work for sure. I've had such an issue, but only for my connection. On complaining, my JE told me to disconnect the BB and take it from some other operator. I send across mails to all those top managers and did get call from the state level head of BSNL. The issue was solved within 72 Hrs from the time I sent them mail. Just do it, after its just some minutes to draft the mail right

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 22nd November 2010 at 10:44. Reason: Add more details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks