Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 23:27   #331
BHPian

@Raccoon: I suggest if you have an option to go for Airtel, go for it. I too was a happy BSNL customer till last week, cause I had no other option to go for. BSNL is great as long as everything is working fine.

Once something happens it all goes downhill from there...the main reason being you have no one responsible to call. You keep getting number after number from everyone you call. Last week the connection got cut, both broadband and landline. There was no way I could call their customer care(which nobody pics by the way). Then I had to call their SDEs and his friend and his neighbor etc and got nowhere. I totally lost my patience after that and since there was an option to go for Airtel, I immediately gave them a call.

Switching over wont take long...just a couple of days max. You call them today and you get your connection tomorrow...fatafat
Old 27th May 2010, 23:48   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
@Raccoon: I suggest if you have an option to go for Airtel, go for it. I too was a happy BSNL customer till last week, cause I had no other option to go for. BSNL is great as long as everything is working fine.
How much does unlimited connection on airtel broadband cost ? We are paying Rs. 1400/- for 750K unlimited connection from BSNL Dataone in B'lore.
Old 28th May 2010, 00:09   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Raccoon - Your problems seem to be rather deep to be solved easily :(

Have you thought of the option of TATA photon/Reliance Netconnect ?
Maybe you can take a USB temporarily till your landline issues are sorted out ?
Have checked out the wireless tariffs of MTS and Reliance. They don't have any unlimited plans. Besides I believe wireline would be more suited for my purpose. Anyway its not like my BSNL BB is totally down... I am able to use it, but at much reduced speeds, disconnections and very long modem boot up times, etc. Also, I don't want to spend on multiple connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post

Once something happens it all goes downhill from there...the main reason being you have no one responsible to call. You keep getting number after number from everyone you call. Last week the connection got cut, both broadband and landline. There was no way I could call their customer care(which nobody pics by the way). Then I had to call their SDEs and his friend and his neighbor etc and got nowhere. I totally lost my patience after that and since there was an option to go for Airtel, I immediately gave them a call.

Switching over wont take long...just a couple of days max. You call them today and you get your connection tomorrow...fatafat
Yes, I do have Airtel in mind as the 2nd option after Reliance, as I'd mentioned sometime earlier. Main advantage with Reliance is that the tariffs are the cheapest, amongst the bigger players.

One reason why I as reluctant to change from BSNL, despite higher tariffs was because of issues related to cabling in the house. But BSNL is forcing me to change, no matter whatever happens.

Strange thing happened today - last week, after the Reliance Sales guy (who visited my place and checked feasibility) told me they won't be able to provide a connection in the immediate future due to cabling issues, I contacted Reliance and left my contact details. I got a call today for another sales guy who promptly came and checked out my area and told me I can certainly have a connection in much less than a week. Funny people. Lets see what happens.

No reply to the mails I sent to the CMD and PRO of BSNL, yet.

Whichever ISP I go for, I'd still need to get the BSNL landline in shape, at leats for incoming calls.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th May 2010 at 00:16.
Old 28th May 2010, 00:41   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How much does unlimited connection on airtel broadband cost ? We are paying Rs. 1400/- for 750K unlimited connection from BSNL Dataone in B'lore.
Their website (for Mah.) shows-

Rs. 699 for 384 kbps (256kbps after 15 GB) + some free calls @given tariffs.
Rs. 899 for 256 kbps + some free calls
Rs. 1399 for 1 Mbps till 25GB, 512 Kbps beyond 15GB + some free calls
Rs. 1099 for 512 Kbps till 20 GB, 256 Kbps beyond 20 GB + some free calls

Plus there is some charge mentioned for modem/installation etc. Website is really shabby. Suits their shabby mobile services... lol!

The charges are higher than Reliance's latest plans... though they(Airtel) are known to have "hidden" plans too. Check them out on their website if interested. Check the Combo plans on one of the other pages. I guess, unlike Airtell, these are national plans. Website is much better designed now...

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th May 2010 at 00:58.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:43   #335
BANNED

BSNL,Karnataka.. anyone downloaded this? this keeps popping up on my laptop, it's becoming irritating, is is worth downloading or not?
Old 28th May 2010, 13:31   #336
Senior - BHPian

^^^I would prefer to do what it claims to do, manually.
Old 28th May 2010, 17:03   #337
Senior - BHPian

Ok, this this gets funnier by the day - Since I got no reply to my emails to the CMD, PRO and whoever else, I just called up the CMD's office (Delhi). And guess what? The guy on the phone simply referred me to CGM (Bombay) who in turn referred me to the PG officer (Bombay) and so on. I now have about a dozen phone numbers on my pad, ALL of them simply refer you to someone else with a the typical BSNL lackadaisical attitude.

And the best part - the lady who picked up the phone in the DGM (Bombay) office (if I remember correct) actually tells (on a noisy line) me that even their office has phone problems and hence would not be able to hear me properly.

After wasting time and money calling these dozen number, I called up the CMD's office right back to rant about my experience and he finally took down my number with a lackadaisical tone that outdoes all the lower offices.

Clearly this rot in BSNL comes right from the top to bottom...

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th May 2010 at 17:12.
Old 1st June 2010, 09:32   #338
BHPian

Same BSNL Line

Now I can see improvement in the line as always.
Below are pictures against my BSNL 256kbps/unlimited/Rs750PM plan. BTW I am not endorsing BSNL. If it works then its great otherwise God help you. Here I am getting double speed (500kbps+) for what I paid.

BSNL BroadBand Issues-netwrokspeed2.jpg

Name:  Netwrokspeed.bmp
Views: 580
Size:  594.1 KB

BSNL BroadBand Issues-netwrokspeed1.jpg
Old 1st June 2010, 09:39   #339
Senior - BHPian

I am on the slowest 750PM 256KBPS connection.
Looks like BSNL upgraded it.
I am getting these speeds now.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:06   #340
Senior - BHPian

Yes, they have upgraded the 256 kbps unlimited connections to 512 kbps. And this time its permanent and long overdue.

This is obviously to counter Reliance, Airtel and other pvt. operator who have come out with faster cheaper plans. In fact, even after this upgrade, Reliance plans are cheaper than BSNL.

My BB saga continues. The Reliance guy came and did all the formalities and then the next day I get a call from a You Telecom salesguy saying that the Reliance guy has told him that it is not currently feasible for Reliance to supply a BB connection in my building. I don't know why the hell they make you do all the paperwork before checking feasibility.

After that, I asked Airtel. Someone promptly called back the very next day to confirm my request. After that I get an SMS saying I will be contacted within 48 hours, after checking the feasibility. The next day I get an SMS saying even they cannot currently provide a connection.

The You guy says they can give a connection and he called again yesterday saying they will waive installation charges if I apply on the same day. I declined... as after the speed upgrade by BSNL, their plans do not seem attractive anymore. I guess they too will have to upgrade them soon... so will decide later. Never found You plans attractive.

So I'm still stuck with BSNL. My upload speed is still about 85 kbps, despite the current doubling of speeds! Am really surprised that you guys are getting an uplink thats almost equal to your downlink. And since yesterday I have received almost half a dozen calls form BSNL asking if my landline is now working (after my emails and calls to all the higher ups) and I have to explain the whole &%$# problem to all of them each time.
Attached Thumbnails
BSNL BroadBand Issues-bsnl-speed-upgrade.jpg  

Last edited by Raccoon : 2nd June 2010 at 18:08.
Old 8th June 2010, 13:44   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
gopalnayak : Speedtest reports 1.4-1.5 Mbps download and 0.35-0.4 Mbps upload.
I moved to BSNL's 850 plan this month, and I am getting between 1 & 1.4 Mbps download but only .20 Mbps upload. Planning to move up to the 1100 Unlimited plan which gives 2 Mbps for first 10GB. Hoping for a better upload speed with that.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:15   #342
Senior - BHPian

Bliss. Just got myself a Tata EVDO, so bye bye BSNL.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:33   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I moved to BSNL's 850 plan this month, and I am getting between 1 & 1.4 Mbps download but only .20 Mbps upload. Planning to move up to the 1100 Unlimited plan which gives 2 Mbps for first 10GB. Hoping for a better upload speed with that.
Your upload speed is abnormally slow. Even on my 256 kbps connection, I was getting about 28 - 29 kBps when it was working well. Apparently you have a line issue too. I don't think changing to a faster plan will change anything.

Just check your "connected at" speed.
Old 9th June 2010, 18:52   #344
BHPian

How accurate is this speedtest.net test, Does the server influence the result? As in, which one would most reliable?

Here are 3 tests with a Bombay server, Chennai server & Delhi server. The upload speed and d/l : u/l ratio varies quite a lot.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/841726526.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/841735217.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/841736743.png
Old 10th June 2010, 02:59   #345
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Yes it varies a lot, so I have my doubts about these quick online tests. Of course line conditions keep varying, and that would explain the variation... but still the explanation does not help. The best way to check is to download a big file from a fast server and do the calc. yourself. Would be more accurate if you take more than one reading.. because its only the avg. speed that really helps us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks