Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 12:22   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Well, the telephone line that comes from the pole is internally (via in-wall cable) routed to all the rooms of a house/apartment so that one can plug in a telephone at any access point in the house.

So even if you use a splitter at one access point to separate out the data to the modem and voice to a telephone, you will be resolving the noise issue only at that access point. The signal at all other access points in the house will still have voice+data signals mixed. Hence the need to use a separate splitter at each point where you use a telephone.
thats a wrong way of doing it, i must say.

You should install the splitter on the entry point of your house and insulate it for rains etc.

and pull a separate cable from the splitter to the room specially for modem.
Old 8th December 2009, 14:20   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

You should install the splitter on the entry point of your house and insulate it for rains etc.

doesnt make much of a difference however you do it as long as you use the phone at the point the splitter is installed... else the data connection can drop while using the phone .

cheers!
Old 8th December 2009, 16:00   #183
BHPian

Quote:

That would be running a separate cable from outside just for the modem from the entry point of the house, after the splitter, to the location where we intend to place the modem.

I would rather use a cheap splitter in the rooms where I use telephone lines.
Old 8th December 2009, 18:53   #184
BHPian

Hi, Could someone please guide me on, How to Setup 2 laptops to share a Wifi connection. I have my Asus 1000 HE using the Wifi, but do not know how to connect my brother's new Lenovo Laptop. Also how can I connect my iPhone 2g to Wifi with the Modem???
Old 9th December 2009, 02:06   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
That would be running a separate cable from outside just for the modem from the entry point of the house, after the splitter, to the location where we intend to place the modem.

I would rather use a cheap splitter in the rooms where I use telephone lines.
Its not a question of cheap and expensive. its the question of doing it properly so that you get maximum throughput.

Quote:
Hi, Could someone please guide me on, How to Setup 2 laptops to share a Wifi connection. I have my Asus 1000 HE using the Wifi, but do not know how to connect my brother's new Lenovo Laptop. Also how can I connect my iPhone 2g to Wifi with the Modem?
Just search for wifi signal in lenovo and iphone. you may have to type in the password for your wifi depending upon what you gave when you installed the Wifi AP/router.

BTW which wifi router are you using,?

Last edited by SirAlec : 9th December 2009 at 02:10.
Old 9th December 2009, 12:11   #186
BHPian

I recently upgraded to the 1 Mbps unlimited plan but I am getting only 750 kbps speed. On contacting BSNL customer care I was told that is the speed I will get for unlimited connections. Is this true? Can anybody having the same plan confirm this? Also, if I need to register a complaint whom should I contact?
Old 9th December 2009, 21:09   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
I recently upgraded to the 1 Mbps unlimited plan but I am getting only 750 kbps speed. On contacting BSNL customer care I was told that is the speed I will get for unlimited connections. Is this true? Can anybody having the same plan confirm this? Also, if I need to register a complaint whom should I contact?
Hi achinthg,

The speed (in your case 1Mbps) is the max speed and you will not be getting that speed always. If I remember correctly the word they use is "whenever technically feasible". And 750 Kbps is good speed.

I used to have a ADSL connection from a private player --where the advertised speed was 256 , but the actual speed never went above 75.

BSNL is far better than those connections.

thats my two cents !!
Old 10th December 2009, 02:06   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Its not a question of cheap and expensive. its the question of doing it properly so that you get maximum throughput.
I would rather go with convenience and I don't see noticeable reduction in throughput using this method. Besides, this is also the easiest way of separating voice and data signals.

Agreed, when maximum throughput is needed, one could try your suggested method of connection.
Old 10th December 2009, 08:09   #189
Senior - BHPian

I have a bsnl broadband and Initially i had few problems with the overcharged bills but subsequently changed to a 750 home inlimited package and now everything is fine.
But there are 2 things which have to be changed :
1)would be the terrible service and
2) have to give us better speed.
Old 10th December 2009, 13:31   #190
Senior - BHPian

^^^
how can they overcharge.

In my opinion, BSNL usage report is most comprehensive than any private players.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:47   #191
Senior - BHPian

Siralec,

You are right BSNL is reasonable and there is no hidden charges. Overcharge is of our ignorance. Some times we keep the modem on but the datas are coming and going which is counted. In such a way I got 1.3Gb more. I appealed to BSNL. Then as per their advise I checked my usage it was right and they have given day wise usuage.The easiest way to control is down load shaplus bandwith meter which shows the usuage all the time.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:52   #192
Senior - BHPian

Guys need some help. I had asked my parents to apply for a BSNL internet connection in Dehradun so that my wife and I could work out of there, when required.

The connection was setup but with the basic plan. I am trying to get the plan changed but the cust care guys keep asking us to go to the office and apply for the change of plan. Is that the only way to apply for a plan change?

Also, can I use any personal WiFi router or does one need to give the MAC address of the router we want to use, to the bsnl guys before using it?

Thanks for your help, guys.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:55   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
I have a bsnl broadband and Initially i had few problems with the overcharged bills but subsequently changed to a 750 home inlimited package and now everything is fine.
But there are 2 things which have to be changed :
1)would be the terrible service and
2) have to give us better speed.
For my past 1 year experience bsnl's billing is very accurate. Datafox is an useful firefox addon for checking usage.

IMO 750UL is not so good only because its a 32kBps connection.
Old 15th December 2009, 00:26   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Guys need some help. I had asked my parents to apply for a BSNL internet connection in Dehradun so that my wife and I could work out of there, when required.

The connection was setup but with the basic plan. I am trying to get the plan changed but the cust care guys keep asking us to go to the office and apply for the change of plan. Is that the only way to apply for a plan change?

Also, can I use any personal WiFi router or does one need to give the MAC address of the router we want to use, to the bsnl guys before using it?

Thanks for your help, guys.
Yeah its the only way.

Its very easy though. Write an application, attach a copy of latest bill. make a Xerox of each and submit. Get a reciept on the xerox copy and keep it safely. It will be changed within a month.

As far as second query is concerned you are completely confused with wifi and router.
Old 15th December 2009, 00:28   #195
Senior - BHPian

My personal view is that the modem given by BSNL is good as well as the price is cheaper. Mine is 500plan with 2.5GB. I paid annual rent and got it as out right purchase for Rs.1800 which is wireless modem and it is not less than 3500 in Market. One of the reseller who is my friend told to get it from BSNL. So I opted and it does well since January 2007. Yes! for plan change you have to go. Try to apply on line also. I did but it did not work. So I went myself.

Last edited by navan49 : 15th December 2009 at 00:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks