Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2024, 04:56   #4036
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
I am happy that you have chosen to go for a PC rather than a PS5/ Series X that would have costed 40% of the budget, but would not give that smooth experience and will leave the gamer wanting for more.
I do not agree to this.

Our son has a X Box series S. It is superb. No breaking your head with configuration headaches, software, driver stability issues and what not. The convenience far outweighs the headache and bulk of owning a PC. The latest generation of these consoles offer superb, smooth, high resolution game play. There is no such thing as stutter on these consoles. The limitation being your display and if it can handle high frame rate content. A good TV solves this.

There is a market for PC and Console. I won't go as far as to say that modern consoles do not give you a smooth experience.
Old 26th February 2024, 10:40   #4037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks to the valuable suggestions from fellow T-Bhpians, I was finally able to close this configuration for my kiddo's desktop. Sorry for a delayed reply due to busy schedule at work. Just sharing a snapshot of final config and costs.
  • Total cost turned out a shade above 70 k. I had to buy a set of budget speakers additionally.
  • Yet to get the keyboard (Redgear mechanical @2.5k)

Sharing a pic of the final invoice and a shot of the set up. Thanks again!!
Hello Friends,

Referring to my old post from 2 years back as I am looking to get a GPU added now - kid is playing a few games that necessitate a GPU, and hence the need.

We have spoken to the original configurator and one option we seem to be zeroing in on is RTX4060. Is it a good choice or would be an overkill for the PC specs (CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600G)?

Please suggest if any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Old 26th February 2024, 10:46   #4038
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,

Referring to my old post from 2 years back as I am looking to get a GPU added now - kid is playing a few games that necessitate a GPU, and hence the need.

We have spoken to the original configurator and one option we seem to be zeroing in on is RTX4060. Is it a good choice or would be an overkill for the PC specs (CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600G)?

Thanks in advance!
If he playing at 1080, then a 3060 or a 3060ti old be more than enough. The 4060 wont offer anything substantially extra over these two. If he is playing games at 2k, then a 3070 or 3070ti should suffice. The 3060 is absolutely enough for 1080 gaming, in fact I use it at 2k gaming and for almost all games it is fine. If he is playing games like the fortnight, then this will be enough.

Last edited by mav2000 : 26th February 2024 at 10:48.
mav2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 13:26   #4039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
If he playing at 1080, then a 3060 or a 3060ti old be more than enough. The 4060 wont offer anything substantially extra over these two. If he is playing games at 2k, then a 3070 or 3070ti should suffice. The 3060 is absolutely enough for 1080 gaming, in fact I use it at 2k gaming and for almost all games it is fine. If he is playing games like the fortnight, then this will be enough.
Thanks @mav2000. I think what you say makes sense - should go for a 3070 ti at max. By the way what is the price difference one should expect over the range mentioned above? At the end if it's difference of just 2-3 k only, then would it make sense to go for higher spec even if its some overkill?

I am complete noob in this area and the kids ask is making me trying to understand stuff here.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 26th February 2024, 13:30   #4040
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @mav2000. I think what you say makes sense - should go for a 3070 ti at max. By the way what is the price difference one should expect over the range mentioned above? At the end if it's difference of just 2-3 k only, then would it make sense to go for higher spec even if its some overkill?

I am complete noob in this area and the kids ask is making me trying to understand stuff here.

Thanks for all the help.
Please share the games your kid is playing and at what resolution.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 13:49   #4041
BHPian

Quote:
At the end if it's difference of just 2-3 k only, then would it make sense to go for higher spec even if its some overkill?
There is nothing overkill in the computers. If you get a beast of specs today, it will take few years before turning into puppy, but if you get a dog with adequate specs today, it will turn puppy within next few months. Just make sure nothing is bottle-necking anywhere in the whole channel.
tbppjpr is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 02:45   #4042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will the configurator allow you to try the card before you buy? Do they have a used one lying around?

I have a hunch that the 5600G will end up being a bottle neck for the system once the new card goes in. No harm trying.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 20:46   #4043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
X Box series S. The convenience far outweighs the headache and bulk of owning a PC. .
This is a fact, and no PC gamer can ever deny this. The consoles are much more convenient/ plug-n-play devices.

However, once in a game, this convenience (which is just up to installing the game) is often out-weighed by the immersion during actual gameplay, which depends mostly on smooth frame-pacing among other things.

Frame-pacing is the graph of frame times. PC gamers often use tools like MSI Afterburner to take objective measurements. Ideally the graph should be flat; i.e. the less the amplitude, the better.

Quote:
The latest generation of these consoles offer superb, smooth, high resolution game play. There is no such thing as stutter on these consoles. ... The limitation being your display and if it can handle high frame rate content. A good TV solves this.
Without getting into console vs PC discussion (which is not my intent here), the only way to discuss this briefly is with such graph examples. Below is a screengrab from a recent video by Digital Foundry.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-screenshot_20240227_201626.png

Look at the frame pacing of the PS5 (which is already more than twice powerful as that Series S). Apart from the fact that the PS5 cannot render even 60 fps (which is available even in cheaper 4k TV panels), it also loses out in frame pacing. Then there is that massive drop - even if it is for a fraction of second, it breaks immersion after we have already trained our eyes additionally to settle for much less than 60 fps.

The game in example is a Plague Tale: Requiem (2022). It is a 2 year old game, released 2 years after the consoles. At a 7 year lifecycle, it can be concluded that the game is in the midlife of the console. Of course, if we are playing a 5-6 year old game, the issues might not be apparent.

Consoles are simply not there yet with the PC if the requirement is smooth gameplay. The hardware is not always to blame here; it is the game engine and optimization that matters too (Id Software or Capcom games for example are much more optimized), but PCs being much more powerful, have more room to absorb the lack of optimizations than a console.

The only advantage is the convenience, the price paid for that being
1) expensive games
2) lock into the ecosystem
3) lack of good frame pacing
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 22:29   #4044
BHPian

Quote:
The only advantage is the convenience, the price paid for that being
1) expensive games
2) lock into the ecosystem
3) lack of good frame pacing
Well put. I owned Xbox 360 and now own PS4 and planning to buy PS5 by this year. But that's only because I'm a GTA fan and with no PC release date in sight I have no option but to buy PS5.

I'm an avid PC gamer since my childhood and I can say even though consoles are easier to play(plug n play), it doesn't offer any tangible benefit for me. My kid primarily uses PS4 for playing car racing games and I mostly play sony exclusive titles. But apart from that, 75% of my gaming is still in PC only.

The ability to upgrade part by part and see the increase in performance is something console cannot offer. I paid 20k for console back in 2016 and so far spent more than that in just 10 games. Each games costs a bomb. I prefer to buy used games but then some games are close to launch price even as used. I'd better pay the additional 500 and buy new one. But on the other hand, for PC, I would have spent close to 10 grand but bought so many games(Hail Steam!).

Planning to upgrade to 4060 Ti, but then put it on hold to next year due to my PS5 upgrade and with 4060Ti, I'm sure I can play any future titles at high at 1080p at 60fps. Can't say the same for any of the console, isn't it?
Old 28th February 2024, 01:17   #4045
BHPian

A few months ago, I sold my minimally used gaming laptop to acquire a fully equipped gaming PC. The decision was driven by the need for enhanced power, as I intended to utilize it for various purposes:

- Video and photo editing
- Utilizing HQ Player upsampler to DSD
- Gaming
- Running server tasks

The specifications of the new setup are as follows:
- 13th Gen i7 processor
- 32GB RAM (with plans to upgrade to 64GB soon)
- RTX 3060 12GB graphics card
- 1TB NVME, 1TB SSD, 3TB HDD storage

I acquired this configuration, along with the cabinet and cooling system, for a total of 75k.

Everything is connected to an LG C2, and I also have an Xbox Series X. I download PlayStation titles and some games that are either affordable on Steam or not available on Game Pass.

Currently, I'm awaiting a reduction in prices for the RTX 4*** series, as I'm considering an upgrade in the future.

I've attached some pictures; although I initially had the setup on my work desk, I found myself missing the immersive OLED gaming experience. Occasionally, I even use remote desktop functionality to access the gaming rig from my work desk.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-img_1390.jpg

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-photo20231210001510.jpg
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 04:33   #4046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a fact, and no PC gamer can ever deny this. The consoles are much more convenient/ plug-n-play devices.

However, once in a game, this convenience (which is just up to installing the game) is often out-weighed by the immersion during actual gameplay, which depends mostly on smooth frame-pacing among other things.
Stats are all well and good my friend. In fact, my day to day work revolves around data. In the context of gaming enjoyment, they are of little use to me and my son. We play Fortnite together from time to time. The fact that I can sit with him and have some fun together far out weighs all these stats. We get more than sufficient smooth game play from our little Series S. Don't need a plot or graph to convince me on the side that I am getting X or Y frame rate. It does not matter and its plenty immersive on a 55" screen.

With the above said, our son has a gaming PC too. However, we've run into rare situations where some terrible or krapp windows update gets rolled out, poor driver release ruins it for him. I spend hours fixing all this. None of this ever happens on the console. Besides with X Box Game Pass, he gets to use both. We're not really locked into any eco system.

You obviously can't get PC level hardware into a console as the frequency of hardware releases happens a few times in a year whereas a console gets a refresh every 5 to 7 years. There will always be that drawback. However, I will never discount the the convenience and fun you can have with a console. There is a camp for both. Its down to what you're after.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 10:15   #4047
BHPian

Quote:
There is a camp for both. Its down to what you're after.
This statement sums all of it, I have both series x and PC. Some games I enjoy on PC and many on series X.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 12:47   #4048
BHPian

Quote:
is RTX4060. Is it a good choice or would be an overkill for the PC specs
Young man is surely going to enjoy his "new" PC with the addition of a GPU to it now.

Since you are buying a new GPU, my advice would be to go with the latest i.e. 40 series RTX GPUs. Weather 4060 or 3070Ti, it all depends on the budget and the games which are being played. Esports kind of titles will run smooth on a 4060 but AAA titles would need something better like 4070 Super (if you are considering 3070Ti, please check this one out too).
Gsynch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 15:27   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am happy that you have chosen to go for a PC rather than a PS5/ Series X that would have costed 40% of the budget, but would not give that smooth experience and will leave the gamer wanting for more.
Quote:
I do not agree to this.

Our son has a X Box series S. It is superb. No breaking your head with configuration headaches, software, driver stability issues and what not. The convenience far outweighs the headache and bulk of owning a PC.
I would not go into PC vs. console debate as I have been far disconnected from either.

Infact my child wanted a PS5. However, I convinced him for a PC. My inclination for PC was for another reasons:
  • Currently, he uses my 9 yr old spare laptop for his school work. The laptop is showing age even though RAM was increased and a SATA SSD boot drive was installed 4 years back. So, a PC/ laptop would anyway be required.
  • Further, incase of console, there would have been time conflicts for sharing TV (screen).
  • Lastly, this gave me opportunity to revive an interest that got buried over the years.
Quote:
Another opinion I have is to not go for a headphone, but good quality 2.1 speakers. It is much more comfortable without straining the ears.
For this, approval of higher authority (wife) would be required as most of the time she'll be at the receiving end of game sounds.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 16:40   #4050
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not game. Zero interest. I don't edit/process video either, because I don't take it. But I do post-process still photos, using darktable for raw and GIMP for jpeg.

A few weeks ago my machine developed a fault: the display would freeze. As far as I could tell, the OS was still running, so it wasn't a full system crash. It was packed off to a nearby company that I use for building/maintenance/repair. It had a modest Geforce 1050 card at that time, which was satisfactory for my purpose.

To their surprise there seemed to be a fault with both video card and RAM. To check that it was not actually an MB problem, they put card and RAM from their workshop stock and asked me to use the machine for a while. The video card was a downgrade, and I really noticed it. Effect of sliders in darktable had quite a delay.

The original card had been about 16k. This time I budgeted around 20k and settled on Geforce RTX 3050.

darktable, as already implied, does use the GPU if it can. There was a big improvement and it now runs smoothly. I'm aware that one can spend lakhs on a video card. What I have is totally fine for my requirements: it might not be good for the gamers.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks