Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2023, 00:33   #4021
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hmmm... Eggs and baskets?

I would not be comfortable with a single-HDD system. Warranty or not, they all fail sometime. It's not just a case of spreading the risk, but also of reducing the rebuild/restore time and effort when one is lost.
Yes, you are right not to be comfortable with single data storage. Large enterprises and critical data are Stored using the 3-2-1 backup strategy that simply states that you should have 3 copies of your data (your production data and 2 backup copies) on two different media (disk and tape) with one copy off-site for disaster recovery.

While this is not feasible for personal data but still it's still better to save a copy of important data over cloud.
Old 30th December 2023, 23:41   #4022
Distinguished - BHPian

I was thinking that it is much easier to trouble-shoot and then restore if there is more than one bootable device in the box.

But backup strategies are important yes, and I do have two external copies. But not a cloud copy. And one of my copies is not off-site. So I would not have approved my own strategy when I was a pro.
Old 3rd January 2024, 07:00   #4023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Each to their own, but loose a single disc and the computer will not even start.
This happened with me last year, I had upgraded my SATA SSD to NVMe which unfortunately failed in couple of months. I installed Windows in one of the other disk which took around 20 minutes while RMA took a week.

I earlier had only one copy of my data accumulated till 2016 which I lost when I dropped my 'in warranty' portable HDD. Disc was replaced but the data was lost. Lesson learned.
Ltinsane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 14:35   #4024
Senior - BHPian

Guys I seek your advice.

After more than 16 years, I am again looking to assemble a desktop. This time for my pre-teen child. Giving him his first 'gaming' PC. The target is to have a PC capable to run most popular titles in 1080p resolution upto 144Hz and good enough for next 4~5 years.

Have done some study on the current hardware trend and zeroed-in on below Intel based configuration:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-13400F 10 Cores (6P 4E) 16 Threads
  • RAM: Corsair Vengance RGB DDR5 32GB (16GBx2) 5600MHz
  • MB: Gigabyte B760M Aorus Pro AX (Wi-Fi6) (DDR5)
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060 Windforce OC 12GB
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe Gen4
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM 3.5in HardDrive ST2000DM008
  • Monitor: MSI Optix G243 24 Inch Gaming Monitor
  • Cabinet: Deepcool Matrexx 55 Mesh ADD-RGB 4F (Black)
  • SMPS: MSI MPG A650GF 80 Plus Gold
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 620S ARGB 120mm Dual Tower Air Cooler
  • KB/Mouse: Zebronics Zeb-Transformer
  • UPS: min. 750w - Brand/model not yet decided
  • Headphones: Brand/model not yet decided
Does this config meets the planned targets ?

Also, may suggest AMD based config (CPU, MB, GPU) if you feel that would be better in terms of performance/ price/ game compatibility.
Old 19th February 2024, 15:23   #4025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Guys I seek your advice.

After more than 16 years, I am again looking to assemble a desktop. This time for my pre-teen child. Giving him his first 'gaming' PC. The target is to have a PC capable to run most popular titles in 1080p resolution upto 144Hz and good enough for next 4~5 years.
How much is the total price coming to of the above specification? Also, tell us the max budget - will help members to make recommendations and give an AMD based config too.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th February 2024 at 17:31. Reason: quote content trimmed
Old 19th February 2024, 17:26   #4026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
How much is the total price coming to of the above specification? Also, tell us the max budget - will help members to make recommendations and give an AMD based config too.
This config is costing around 120~125k from Nehru Place. I can add another 20k max. if it's really necessary.
Old 19th February 2024, 17:46   #4027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I seek your advice.

[*]KB/Mouse: Zebronics Zeb-Transformer
Just curious to see this odd fellow in the midst of some amazing spec brands

Happy assembling.
Old 20th February 2024, 09:41   #4028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Just curious to see this odd fellow in the midst of some amazing spec brands

Happy assembling.
KB/ mouse is something that can be easily upgraded later on. So, didn't want to invest too much at initial stage. However, any suggestions are welcome (within 3k), though not looking for wireless options.
Old 20th February 2024, 10:11   #4029
Senior - BHPian

Suggest you buy it off now itself rather than wait and upgrade it

This would be a good mouse to have:
https://www.amazon.in/Logitech-Hero-...07GBZ4Q68?th=1

This is the keyboard I use:
https://www.amazon.in/Redragon-Multi.../dp/B082KR95Z4

It is pretty decent for the price and four years on it is still good.

Or you could look at
https://www.amazon.in/Logitech-LIGHT.../dp/B01K48R5V4

Slightly above your budget of 3k but for a gaming spec machine, why compromise on input devices.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th February 2024 at 23:02. Reason: Links fixed
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 10:36   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I seek your advice.

Have done some study on the current hardware trend and zeroed-in on below Intel based configuration:[list]
[*]GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060 Windforce OC 12GB

Also, may suggest AMD based config (CPU, MB, GPU) if you feel that would be better in terms of performance/ price/ game compatibility.
It would be a good idea to go for 4060 (8gb or 12 gb), with a little extra money, performance is bit better, and you get an entirely new architecture ADA.
Gsynch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:37   #4031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsynch View Post
It would be a good idea to go for 4060 (8gb or 12 gb), with a little extra money, performance is bit better, and you get an entirely new architecture ADA.
I think it's better to go for a 3060ti or 3070 over the midrange 40 series cards, even if it is a 7k difference the performance is substantially better than a 4060.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:44   #4032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsynch View Post
4060 was in my consideration. However, w.r.t. 3060, I found that it has :
  • - lower VRAM: 8GB vs. 12GB
  • - lower memory bandwidth: 128-bit vs. 192-bit
  • - lower CUDA core count: 3072 vs. 3584
  • - similar CUDA compute capability
  • + newer architecture
  • + better clock speeds
  • + higer DLSS, Ray Tracing generation
After remaining inconclusive on the specs, watched many review videos. Most reviewers have emphasized on higher VRAM and memory bandwidth in similarly placed GPUs, so 3060 made to the list.

Again, I am open to 4060 as well, if someone can provide experience of 4060 vs. 3060.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
I think it's better to go for a 3060ti or 3070 over the midrange 40 series cards, even if it is a 7k difference the performance is substantially better than a 4060.
Yes, 3060 Ti was also looked at. It has 256-bit memory bandwidth and much higher number of CUDA cores. 8GB VRAM is only point of weakness. Thanks for your suggestion. Will surely keep it in consideration.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 20th February 2024 at 12:52. Reason: added response to CzechItaliaMoto
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 13:37   #4033
BHPian

Quote:
4060 was in my consideration.

Yes, 3060 Ti was also looked at. It has 256-bit memory bandwidth and much higher number of CUDA cores. 8GB VRAM is only point of weakness. Thanks for your suggestion. Will surely keep it in consideration.
If the use-case is Gaming then 4060 would give better performance in real world gaming, and a choice can be made between a 3060Ti and 4060. If the use-case is VRAM heavy (Content creation, light editing etc) then 3060 with 12gb should be a good choice.

40 series being the latest architecture, should be able to deliver better Perf/Watt, apart from being other things.
Gsynch is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 09:06   #4034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I seek your advice. Also, may suggest AMD based config (CPU, MB, GPU) if you feel that would be better in terms of performance/ price/ game compatibility.
Aside from the keyboard and PSU, your selection of parts are pretty good. No real need to change anything. I have highlighted some alt options below. Once again, you'll do just fine with what you have selected. These are only recommendations.

Having built a PC for our son only a year ago, I'd say get a bigger primary nvme hard drive. Games these days chew through disk like crazy.

Don't bother with spinning disk. Get a secondary 2.5" SSD instead. Prices have come down a lot over the years that it makes little sense to have spinning disk. Unless there are vast amount of High Definition or higher res video being generated and stored.

On Cpu, if you are looking for something better and more efficient, consider the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D. It does cost more but I'm thinking if you can do a trade out of the ram by half and spend on a better Cpu.

I'd say an RTX3060 is a luxury for a pre teen. Spend a little less if you can. Direct the money elsewhere or spend less.

I highly recommend and alternate brand for power supply. From the likes of Seasonic, Be Quiet or Thermaltake. MSI aren't really a power supply company.

For audio, stick to Sennheiser or even better would be speakers so kiddo does not end up with hearing issues later down the line. Our son uses a Cooler Master headset. Its okay. Nothing great.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 20:15   #4035
BHPian

Quote:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-13400F 10 Cores (6P 4E) 16 Threads
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060 Windforce OC 12GB
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe Gen4
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM 3.5in HardDrive ST2000DM008
  • Cabinet: Deepcool Matrexx 55 Mesh ADD-RGB 4F (Black)
  • SMPS: MSI MPG A650GF 80 Plus Gold
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 620S ARGB 120mm Dual Tower Air Cooler
  • Headphones: Brand/model not yet decided
Alternately, you can consider Ryzen 7 5700x3D 8c/16t, which will easily take GPUs yet to be launched after 3-4 years to task, at just 4k above that Intel, which you can break-even and more because DDR4 RAM and Motherboards will save you well above that. It is crazy that 16GBx2 DDR4 kits are about 6-7k nowadays, at 3600MHz too no less. And a good B550 board from Asus or MSI is much more cost effective. The only extra spending might be on a better cooler, like the Deepcool AK620 which is 2k more than the one listed above - the x3D V-Cache runs hot.

For GPU, at this stage I wont suggest going for models that do not explicitly support frame generation, as it is the future whether we want it or not. If a 4070 at 50k is too much, then the value king that is the 6700 XT at 33k is way better than a 3060 at 25k. RT in 6 series cards is anyway unusable. And you are right, 8 GB is not enough in 2024.

The thumbrule for GPU series is that,
Nvidia xx6x/ AMD x6xx: Will be good for only games already released or at most 1-2 years from now
xx7x/ x7xx: Good for 5-6 years, these are essentially next gen 6 series.

So from that perspective, a 4070 with DLSS3 would give much better returns. The extra cost can be balanced by taking a cheaper case/ Gen3 SSD apart from DDR4 if you go with that.

Would suggest a Gen3 SSD, which is enough for gaming and is half the price of Gen4, not to mention runs much cooler. Also, as sandeepmohan suggests, ditch that mechanical drive and pick up a 2 TB 2.5" SATA SSD, which should be around 1k higher than a 2 TB HDD.

Avoid MSI/ Gigabyte with a barge pole for PSUs. Only stick to Corsair/ CoolerMaster/ EVGA, or NZXT. Look for 7-10 years warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I'd say an RTX3060 is a luxury for a pre teen. Spend a little less if you can. Direct the money elsewhere or spend less.

For audio, stick to Sennheiser or even better would be speakers so kiddo does not end up with hearing issues later down the line. Our son uses a Cooler Master headset. Its okay. Nothing great.
I would actually suggest going for a system that can offer locked 60 fps experience with minimal stutter, for everybody not just kids, because that goes a long way in reducing headache/ eye strain. I am happy that you have chosen to go for a PC rather than a PS5/ Series X that would have costed 40% of the budget, but would not give that smooth experience and will leave the gamer wanting for more.

So in my opinion, the 3060 is not overkill but might actually not be good enough for 4-5 years.

Another opinion I have is to not go for a headphone, but good quality 2.1 speakers. It is much more comfortable without straining the ears.
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks