Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2023, 10:15   #3976
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Do you mind sharing this script (without details of your drive names etc)
Here is an extract from my scripts:

rsync over LAN:
rsync --delete -ahv -e ssh /home/abc/all/ abc@192.168.50.4:/home/abc/all/

rsync on internal HDD:
rsync --delete -ahv /home/abc/all/ /media/abc/hdd4tb/all/

incremental-backup with duplicity:
duplicity incr --name all_hdd4tb --no-encryption --no-compression /home/abc/all file:///media/abc/hdd4tb/dup_all/

google-drive upload:
rclone sync --delete-after -v ~/all/sync/gsync/ gdrive:/gsync/
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 18:36   #3977
Distinguished - BHPian

I use rsync too. Brilliant program! I use rsync in scripts, but grsync for stand-alone syncs, like fetching pics from my camera.

I prefer rsync for any big copy or move operation. If it gets interrupted, I can always start again without repeating work already done, and if any file did get damaged in the interruption, it will be rewritten.

My main backup script first detects attached USB drive and does a tar of / and /home. It does an rsync of my data directories. The disk detection is not sophisticated: disk names are coded and it just looks for the mount.
Quote:
### Find the destination device...
if [ -d /media/tosh-1/Tower-Backup/Mint-20 ]
then
ArchiveDir="/media/tosh-1/Tower-Backup/Mint-20"
elif [ -d /media/elements/Tower-Backup/Mint-20 ]
then
ArchiveDir="/media/elements/Tower-Backup/Mint-20"
fi
echo Archive Destination found: $ArchiveDir
if [ X$ArchiveDir == "X" ]
then
echo "No backup destination device found"
exit 1
fi
...mine has more disks. I just add new ones when they are new
I made this shorter; cut some lines; might have spoilt the syntax.
My everyday-pics backup syncs just my current-year pics (on SSD) including syncing deletions, so culling is not wasted.

You are ahead of me: I have just two back-up drives, and don't have a cloud backup. One of my backups used to go off-site, to a friend, but my wife raised un-trustworthy-teen alert and said to stop keeping it there. Just in case.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 19:23   #3978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So, what you saying is, if I want to use Windows, bootable or VM, with my ext4-based data, your advice is don't?
To qualify .. don't do it from Windows. Following work fine :
  1. Windows VM in Linux Host. Linux host "injecting" folders in to Windows VM
  2. Windows Host, small Linux VM just to make Ext4 accessible to Windows

Suggestion from ph03n!x about WSL is also good.

Overall, use Linux to read-write from Ext4.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 17:41   #3979
Senior - BHPian

So after finalizing on buying the Zotac RTX3060 with a prime day offer price of Rs.27,300 with no cost EMI, I clicked on buy.

Amazon then added the product to cart at the regular price of Rs.28+ and no cost EMI was not showing up!

Then comes the kicker, Appario Retail says it cannot deliver it to my location! Capital city of Kerala and all that.

Oh well, gave up on Amazon and started enquiring with local dealers and found a RX6650XT OC for 28k+. Have to go (Lazy me) and see and pick it up.

Hope my long overdue, long delayed GPU purchase comes to a close soon.
Old 14th July 2023, 14:39   #3980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
RTX3060 ... RX6650XT .
I suggest not to buy a 8GB GPU in 2023 any more. Several games nowadays especially the PS ports to PC are bringing down the game once VRAM exceeds 7.5 GB. This is making the new RTX 4060/ Ti a hard sell already.

Look for a 3060 12 GB when you go to the shop to check out the AMD, else at least consider RX 6700 10 GB (around 27k online) if not 6700 XT 12 GB (33k).

From our own pcpartpicker:
6700 10 GB
6700 XT 12 GB
mayukh42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 16:38   #3981
BHPian

Hello Gents
Need your inputs on putting together a desktop for graphic designing at my work place. Have bought the following things in the Amazon sale :-

i7 12th Gen - 12700
Samsung 24 Inch Monitor FHD 144 Hz CurvedMonitor - 2 Qty
Deepcool LE 500 CPU cooler
Ant E sports 750 W 80 Bronze Plus Power Supply
Ant E sports ICE 150 TG Cabinet
Zotac RTX 3060 AMP 12 Gb Graphics Card
Dell Keyboard & Mouse

Need your inputs on :-
1) Motherboard and 32 Gigs of DDR5 RAM. Motherboard around the 15k mark ?
2) SSD & HDD
3) Connectors or anything else I will need ?

Thank you
Karan_n8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 18:02   #3982
BHPian

Please help guys! Need to take advantage of the Amazon sale.
Old 21st July 2023, 19:51   #3983
Distinguished - BHPian

If and when I do the Windows thing, It would only be for photo editing: it suddenly occured to me that I only need a working directory for that: I can keep a small ntfs partition for it.

Meanwhile, my latest "upgrade." Finally, I bought nvme M.2 SSD storage: Crucial P3 Plus, 1Tb

I tried loading/saving pics (GIMP) from it and it is indeed very fast. I haven't managed to create a bootable system on it yet, although I wasted a whole day trying.

Any Linix/Ubuntu Wizards? (My system is Linux Mint 20.1)

I thought I'd upgrade to Mint 21. The way that I upgrade, usually, is create an identical system in another partition(s) and upgrade that. I like to keep at least one previous generation bootable in case of problems. I usually just install it to the new partitions, and then copy over my existing-system files. editing where necessary, eg /etc/fstab.

This is what I did this time. I copied my root and home partitions to the new ssd using GParted. At first, I forgot, then remembered to generate new UUIDs for them and edit /etc/fstab accordingly.

I ran update-grub and grub-install from my existing system, as I want it on top of the menu for now. Everything seems fine so far. The new "installation is found and displayed by Grub.

When I try to boot the new system... I get the old system. The mount command shows me that the /dev/sda partitions of my old system are mounted on / and /home.

The Grub command line contains the correct new-system / partition UUID. So does the new-system fstab file. How can it be that the old partitions are getting mounted?

I went round the circle numerous times, including one start-from-scratch

I'll go back to the Mint-installation-thumbdrive method and start over, probably next week. But I'd love an answer to all this! How can it happen What have I missed? (Probably something obvious and stupid --- it usually is!)

Old 22nd July 2023, 11:34   #3984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I ran update-grub and grub-install from my existing system, as I want it on top of the menu for now. Everything seems fine so far. The new "installation is found and displayed by Grub.

When I try to boot the new system... I get the old system. The mount command shows me that the /dev/sda partitions of my old system are mounted on / and /home.
By any chance, is there a difference in secure-boot ? Possibly old partition is valid while new one is not ?

Say you had setup to "require" secure boot. In that case, new one will not be used and boot might fall back to old one .. (And maybe vice versa)

Not sure if this is the issue, but one of the things to check for
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 14:40   #3985
BHPian

Guys is there a service or a trusted guy you know of in Delhi who can come and help assemble a CPU for us ? Bought all the parts online but I would want someone professional to put it together with the right kind of cable management etc.
TIA
Old 22nd July 2023, 15:43   #3986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
Hello Gents
Need your inputs on putting together a desktop for graphic designing at my work place. Have bought the following things in the Amazon sale :-

i7 12th Gen - 12700

Need your inputs on :-
1) Motherboard and 32 Gigs of DDR5 RAM. Motherboard around the 15k mark ?
2) SSD & HDD
3) Connectors or anything else I will need ?

Thank you
Compatible Motherboards
pick gigabyte branded motherboards since their warranty is honored in India better than other brands.

Pick the Z690 series Choosing the Best Motherboard for Intel's Core i7-12700 variant that has what flexibility you want, i.e. what form factor you prefer (ATX or micro-ATX), whether you require DDR5 or DDR4 is sufficient, more RAM slots of added memory or more PCI Express slots or dedicated DAC for example.

gigabyte motherboards for intel 1700 socket (you can place more filters )

Regarding SSD vs HDD, please go for SSD as they have become affordable. HDDs remain good only when the CPU is not moved or disturbed often and there is near zero electricity fluctuation and good voltage stabilization or power surge protection.
There are many SSDs brands available, Samsung, Seagate on the higher side and Crucial, ANT etc on the lower side.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 18:54   #3987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
By any chance, is there a difference in secure-boot ? Possibly old partition is valid while new one is not ?
Secure boot is off. This system was built with existing HDDs/partitions, as a heart+lung transplant (new MB and CPU) and it would not boot from them until it was turned off.

(But thanks, anyway. And I'll check that again now)
Old 22nd July 2023, 20:35   #3988
BHPian

Quote:
If I follow correctly, you have not booted into the new system at all. It is not a new installation, but a clone of existing. So there may be some conflicts during bootloader installation.

1. Run os-prober from old system to identify the new installation, then update-grub that follows instead of doing stuff manually. The new system should reflect on the grub menu, even if the new option is not at the top.

2. If this does not work, chroot is the only other option. I faced a similar issue while experimenting with new OS that did not even include grub-common.

If you have not done chroot earlier, it is basically mounting your new OS (1) from existing one, then inside that mount proc, sys, dev, and devpts partitions, then open a root shell in (1). There are several online examples on chroot, even specific to a distribution, though it is more common in Arch Linux ecosystem.

Once in that, run os-prober from there and install grub. Now the new OS will take control over bootloader, and in case your motherboard is newer than 2018, boot into BIOS and change Hard Drive BBS priorities to the new OS (it should have a new entry now corresponding [new-root]/boot along with [old-root]/boot). This is mostly required for UEFI bootloaders even if secure boot is off (they are different).

Now if we reboot it should show new grub, from which we can go to old OS if we want. It is basically the reverse of what you have done so far.

If it does not work, chroot from a live USB since it will ensure existing /boot is not mounted.

Having said that, I think if the idea is to reuse existing configs and libs from old system, have separate partitions for /usr, /etc, /home then select these in a new installation.

Somewhat OT] The current landscape about dual booting is a mess, even with Linux, because most distributions have moved on to UEFI. Very few modern systems support it, but if you plan to install Windows 10+ it has to be UEFI anyway, so perhaps it is time to move on from legacy. The thumbrule is that every UEFI installation needs a 512MB partition of its own. Only a handful of distributions like Manjaro, Debian, and MX Linux can correctly work with existing Windows 10 UEFI bootloader without creating one for themselves, and give the option to boot into Windows without making changes in BBS Priorities.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 11:37   #3989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If and when......................

The Grub command line contains the correct new-system / partition UUID. So does the new-system fstab file. How can it be that the old partitions are getting mounted?

I went round the circle numerous times, including one start-from-scratch

Well I have faced similar problems (I had 3 or 4 OS at that time)

At boot time you should get the screen displaying various OS that are installed, and choose the one you want. If you are not getting this screen then you may have bypassed it due to "Quick Boot" option some where.

Check the boot options
. First on the Bios screen
. Next in your OS options

I am a bit vague, as it has been over a decade since I had multipe OS installed, so you have to try many options till you get it right. Best of luck.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 15:10   #3990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
If I follow correctly, you have not booted into the new system at all. It is not a new installation, but a clone of existing. So there may be some conflicts during bootloader installation.
Thank you for your long reply!

Yes, I know about chroot (in a former lifetime, I was actually a self-taught Unix systems manager! (Until 2002. I forgot most of it, wish I had kept up)). Chroot is like a portal between universes: weird stuff . It had crossed my mind, as I have been able to mount my partitions.

Big problem in my previous report (I'm just a stupid user these days): I said that Grub was referencing the correct partition. Sometimes I just don't read. It is... and it isn't. ...

Here's the lines when I press e at the Grub menu...

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-img_20230723_034330_hht.jpg

The actual instruction to boot is referencing the old-system partition, not the new one. I've edited that --- and booted the "new" system successfully. But this edit is lost after booting. It's a long number to type!

I rebuilt and installed Grub from the new system --- with the same wrong results.
At least, I think I did. It was 4am! (Why does techie stuff grab one when it is already past bedtime? !) I'll check today.

I'd like to solve the issue! But I don't have the time or energy to learn all-about-grub.
I could do some debugging of what grub-mkconfig is doing. I'll look at grub-probe.

HUNCH: If I re-setup the kernel in the new system my problem might disappear. I absolutely don't remember how... but I can boot into a previous kernel, remove it, then re-install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Well I have faced similar problems (I had 3 or 4 OS at that time)

At boot time you should get the screen displaying various OS that are installed ...
Thanks

I've had at least two bootable partitions since I first installed Linux, so have always been greeted with the Grub menu since then (Practicality: I set it with a 1-second timeout, because I 99.9% boot my main working system. That's enough to hit a down-arrow key and stop the timeout when I don't want to.)

I never had a problem with grub before.

Oh, yes, maybe I have. I think I used boot-repair [?] when things got royally messed up in the past.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd July 2023 at 15:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks