Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2020, 09:34   #3496
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
run most sim racing games, any recommendations on what to get and where to get started is appreciated.
  1. What is your budget ?
  2. Do you have any existing components (Such as Monitor) ?
These two could be a start : (GPU is going to be the most expensive component and also the most impactful for performance)

Name:  Gaming PC Config Sep 2020.png
Views: 737
Size:  34.6 KB
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 16:46   #3497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
My biggest dilemma is wrt motherboards. Ruled out MSI (never heard of it before, does not like the aesthetics)
Interesting. MSI makes amongst the best B450 & B550 motherboards there are.

Quote:
In terms of chipset, B450 or B550? I am not likely to upgrade CPU later. Do I really need to go for B550 to get PCIe 4? I doubt, but opinions welcome.
PCIe 4.0 is not the only reason that B550 boards are superior, it is also the VRMs on those boards that are far better. However, since you are not going for a high end CPU and also don't intend to upgrade later, you don't need a board with great VRMs. I would say stick with B450 for the cost savings - the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX would be my recommendation for the quality of the board.

Quote:
For me durability (last long, really long, ding dong kind of durability) is first priority, then performance and expandability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Some expectations need to be set straight re:longevity. While a computer built today can last 10 years, it is not wise to assume so. As fabrication gets finer and more power efficient, things become more susceptible to environmental/heat degradation. This is the primary reason for electronics not lasting as long, more so than build quality etc.
I agree with what Amien has said. To add further, if you really want your components to last longer, then it's better not cheap out on things like a good motherboard, proper PSU, case with proper airflow etc.

Quote:
After a long time, (about 15 years), I want to get a VFM gaming pc, that can run most sim racing games, any recommendations on what to get and where to get started is appreciated.
What's your budget? Build recommendations are totally dependent on a budget.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 26th August 2020 at 16:48.
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 21:53   #3498
BHPian

Quote:
Chipset choice is dependent on the parts its being paired with, which is again dependent on the total build budget.
From original budget of 30k, I am willing to go upto 40k max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
To add further, if you really want your components to last longer, then it's better not cheap out on things like a good motherboard, proper PSU, case with proper airflow etc.
I have read similar opinion elsewhere on the internet, which is not to go for the lowest range within a brand. My main deliberation right now is on motherboard: the most 'permanent' fixture. My current look out is in the 10k to 12k range for motherboard.
Old 26th August 2020, 22:04   #3499
BHPian

Quote:
My main deliberation right now is on motherboard: the most 'permanent' fixture. My current look out is in the 10k to 12k range for motherboard.
Look no further - B450 Tomahawk MAX

Graphs on the VRM performance from 9:59 onwards in this video, but would still suggest that you watch the whole review if interested:

If you have any questions about this still, shoot! Would be happy to answer

Cheers
Old 26th August 2020, 22:16   #3500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
  1. What is your budget ?
These two could be a start : (GPU is going to be the most expensive component and also the most impactful for performance)

Attachment 2047739
He could save further if the monitor can restricted to 8.5K. LG 22MK600B
Old 26th August 2020, 22:26   #3501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does this compare to https://mdcomputers.in/gigabyte-b550m-gaming.html (Specs : https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Motherbo...-GAMING-rev-10) ?
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 23:12   #3502
BHPian

Quote:
If you have any questions about this still, shoot! Would be happy to answer
Sorry, I should have mentioned, I am limiting myself to micro ATX form factor. As explained in earlier posts, there is space limitation. In any case I do not want bulky cabinet.

Any other suggestions most welcome.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 00:03   #3503
BHPian

Quote:
How does this compare to the Gigabyte B550M Gaming?
The B450 Tomahawk MAX is still a better board, but not by a huge margin - see the screenshot below which is taken from a B450 vs B550 comparison video by the Hardware Unboxed guys. The Gigabyte B550M Gaming is just an iteration of the Gigabyte B550M DS3H, and given a choice between both of these Gigabyte boards, I would choose the B550M DS3H just because it has 4 RAM slots & two M.2 slots, which means that you have future expansion options.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-b450-vs-b550.jpg

Quote:
Sorry, I should have mentioned, I am limiting myself to micro ATX form factor.
And I'm sorry that I forgot about the mATX factor in your build, haha. I would in fact recommend the Gigabyte B550M DS3H or Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro for you then depending on which appeals to you more. The Aorus Pro is the better of the two with a price bump to match.
The B450 boards are now overpriced since the B550 launch unless you can get them quite a bit cheaper, and I also find the MSI B550M boards overpriced in India although they are the best. You aren't interested in ASRock - although the ASRock B550M Pro4 is a good motherboard, except that I/O panel is so ugly. And you should avoid ASUS budget boards like the plague - the screenshot above should tell you why. So, that leaves only Gigabyte in the mix pretty-much.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 00:29   #3504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  1. What is your budget ?
Quote:

What's your budget? Build recommendations are totally dependent on a budget.

Cheers
1. I am thinking something upto 55k should be fine. I already have a keyboard/mouse / monitor.
2. I will be getting a Logitech G29 or a G923, this is separately budgeted from the pc build.

Also, I am lost on something, on looking at graphics card, the rx 5500 xt, there are multiple manufacturers, Gigabyte, Asus ROG, MSI, Radeon Saphire, etc... what gives? It also has an AMD website, so I am guessing, AMD has given rights to these manufacture the rx 5500 xt to their spec, is this correct?

So look at this -> https://www.amd.com/en/products/grap...eon-rx-5500-xt from amd and then look at this -> https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Graphics...-8GD-rev-20#kf from Gigabyte.

AMD website says, that the rx5500xt is VR ready, while there is no mention of VR is Gigabyte website, I am so confused!

Last edited by govigov : 27th August 2020 at 00:31.
Old 27th August 2020, 00:54   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
1. I am thinking something upto 55k should be fine. I already have a keyboard/mouse / monitor.
2. I will be getting a Logitech G29 or a G923, this is separately budgeted from the pc build.

Also, I am lost on something, on looking at graphics card.
ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI etc are board partners, which means that while AMD makes the actual microprocessors, these companies integrate them into end products such as graphics cards and motherboards. Nearly every card you buy today can drive a VR headset (think of it as a face-mounted dual-monitor setup).

Here's a sample build for you to consider:- https://www.primeabgb.com/cart/?cxec...ve-cart=153096

Last edited by Amien : 27th August 2020 at 00:55.
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 01:21   #3506
BHPian

Quote:
I would absolutely recommend that you wait if possible for the next gen CPUs & GPUs to release in a couple of months, because at the very least, the previous generation stuff should drop in price a bit.

Here's a sample build around your budget:
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-tbhp-build.jpg

Quote:
Also, I am lost on something, on looking at graphics card, the rx 5500 xt
Quote:
ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI etc are board partners, which means that while AMD makes the actual microprocessors, these companies integrate them into end products such as graphics cards and motherboards.
Amien has explained how the board partners work with a manufacturer like AMD or NVIDIA. Now coming to the question of which graphics card, I would not recommend the 5500 XT, as it is not VFM at all, and all the reviewers say not to consider it either.
Both Amien & I have recommended the NVIDIA 1660 Super instead, as it's a better card at that price range. If your budget was higher, then it would be worth considering AMD cards.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 27th August 2020 at 01:22.
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 08:12   #3507
Senior - BHPian

And by any chance of you intend to do some machine learning and deep learning stuff in the future, invest in a RTX 2060 or 2060 super, as they have tensor cores.

Also invest in at least Ryzen 5 3500 at 11K, if you think 3600 is too costly.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 11:06   #3508
BHPian

Quote:
The B450 Tomahawk MAX is still a better board, but not by a huge margin - see the screenshot below which is taken from a B450 vs B550 comparison video by the Hardware Unboxed guys.
VRM thermal performance seems to be model specific, not brand specific. In a test done by Techspot, MSI is at the top (good performer) as well as at the bottom (worst performer). Link to test and image source:
https://www.techspot.com/review/2044...therboard-vrm/
Attached Thumbnails
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-b550-thermal.jpg  

Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 13:23   #3509
BHPian

Quote:
VRM thermal performance seems to be model specific, not brand specific. In a test done by Techspot, MSI is at the top (good performer) as well as at the bottom (worst performer).
You're absolutely correct! It is indeed model specific, not brand specific. FYI - the author of that Techspot article is Steven Walton, who is the co-founder of the Hardware Unboxed YT channel, and you can see his full review of those motherboards in this video below. Post his testing results, MSI replicated the same thing in their testing and then pulled those two motherboard models out of production.

Based on his recommendation, I have used both the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX + Ryzen 5 2600 and MSI B550 A-PRO + Ryzen 5 3600 in PC builds for friends recently. No issues reported so far.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 27th August 2020 at 13:24.
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 01:50   #3510
Senior - BHPian

Can you guys check and see if the below config is OK? I am not sure if the DDR4 can play nicely with the mobo or whether the nvme is supported in the mobo.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-option1.jpg

Do you guys see any issues or any changes recommended?

One other sily question, the cpu should ship with the cpu heatsink right? Do I need to get any additional things to put this together in terms of tools / thermal paste / etc? This will be my first time putting together a pc from scratch.

Is there a motherboard, that supports nvme and Wifi, if so I would like to get that?

And another silly thing is, is there a case that can hinge on the side kinda like a door for easy access and cleaning?

Last edited by govigov : 29th August 2020 at 01:57.

Most Viewed