Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2017, 21:25   #3076
Senior - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Are prices on SP Road in Bangalore better than amazon's ? Amazon prices don't look great when it comes to desktop parts and accessories. Any recommendations on shops with good prices and quality ?

Anyone shopped from https://www.mdcomputers.in ? Their prices are better than amazon , and they have good reviews as well on google maps. They're located in Chandni Chowk in Kolkata.
Old 3rd September 2017, 19:12   #3077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Are prices on SP Road in Bangalore better than amazon's ? Amazon prices don't look great when it comes to desktop parts and accessories. Any recommendations on shops with good prices and quality ?

Anyone shopped from https://www.mdcomputers.in ? Their prices are better than amazon , and they have good reviews as well on google maps. They're located in Chandni Chowk in Kolkata.
You can go ahead with MDComputers. I have personal experience in buying offline from them and their online store is also trusted. Also check PrimeABGB.

Neel
Old 5th September 2017, 08:14   #3078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Get a better PSU. Preferably a more efficient one with a better rating and about 600W of capacity. Trust me, VS series, that too just 450W, just isn't enough for this. Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't trust it to handle all of the high specced components of the PC. Maybe get a Seasonic or if you want to stay in the Corsair family, something like an RM650x.

Neel
Already did that. With the VS450 the system was not stable at overclocking and some weird issues were cropping up. So went in for an Antec EDGE 750w 80+gold fully modular power supply. This is is actually made by Seasonic but branded by Antec.
Got the peace of mind and overcolocked to 3.9 Ghz. Also upgraded the Ram to 16 gb DDR4-2400.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by D4d-maniac : 5th September 2017 at 08:15.
Old 5th September 2017, 09:12   #3079
BHPian

On the search for a monitor >=24" for my desktop/Macbook/Laptop. Local shops suggest to get a Samsung, Amazon rates LG/Dell. Inclined towards a curved display. Budget <= 15k. Any suggestions?
Old 9th September 2017, 11:51   #3080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
On the search for a monitor >=24" for my desktop/Macbook/Laptop. Local shops suggest to get a Samsung, Amazon rates LG/Dell. Inclined towards a curved display. Budget <= 15k. Any suggestions?
If your hardware/software support it get two 24" monitors instead of one big one. I have 3 LG monitors, 2 - 1920x1200 and 1 - 1920x1080. The last one I got for around 10K from Amazon during a promotion.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-jsc_9833.jpg
Monitor

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-screens.jpg
My Layout
Old 9th September 2017, 12:03   #3081
BHPian

Impressive setup, but don't think my assembled desktop would support it since it was build 10 yrs ago.
Old 9th September 2017, 12:12   #3082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Impressive setup, but don't think my assembled desktop would support it since it was build 10 yrs ago.
I also assemble my desktop nearly 10 years ago. It is a Dual Xeon setup with 1000W PS and two graphics cards (one I bought initially and the other when the main one went for repairs) which can support two monitors each.

All that you need for multiple monitors is a card that support two or more monitors. OS takes care of the rest. Invest in a good graphics card, it can be ported to new system that you may build at a later stage.

The reason I like multiple monitors is that
. They cost less for the same real estate
. You have applications segregated

That is unless you need a 4K screen for displaying/working with one large image.

Last edited by Aroy : 9th September 2017 at 12:13.
Old 9th September 2017, 12:41   #3083
BHPian

Aroy, what GPU are u using ? SLI Setup i believe ?
Old 9th September 2017, 14:13   #3084
Distinguished - BHPian

A simple DDR3 memory question.

My machine was originally built to run WinXP and has only 4Mb of ram. And then it was 32-bit Linux.

Memory management might have been a solved problem in the days of Linux's grand-daddy way-back-whenever, but Firefox still manages to clog up. I want to upgrade to something useful at minimum cost.

4 slots, 2 channels. Currently, I have one 2Mb sim in each channel.

As I uderstand it, the sims for each channel should be the same so (I don't want to upgrade to just 8Mb) I could have...

channel A: two times 2Mb
channel B: two times 4Mb

...erm, right? Memory may be cheap, but not so much that I want to waste the existing sims.

I don't need optimal. I need works. As in, gives me a machine where it takes FF at least twice as long to hog all the memory and start coughing.

My OS is Linux Mint 17.3, 64 bit.
Old 9th September 2017, 15:59   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A simple DDR3 memory question.

My machine was originally built to run WinXP and has only 4Mb of ram. And then it was 32-bit Linux.
Will let the experts answer but I guess you meant 4GB and not 4MB. Cause I recall the days when my PC sometime in 1996-1998 had 4 MB ram and windows 98 refused to install on it. Of course, I just added a 4mb dimm from a friend just to install and then removed it. . It was slow as hell but hey - I had win 98!!!!
Old 9th September 2017, 16:32   #3086
Senior - BHPian

Now my primary platform has to change from Mac to Windows to as National Instruments have decided to dump the Max platform. This is sad since Labbview was born on the Mac platform, but now National Instruments after all these decades has foresaken Mac OS for the Windows platform. So be it.
Old 9th September 2017, 17:57   #3087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I guess you meant 4GB and not 4MB. !
Hah Hah, it's a long time since I got my Ms and Gs mixed up like that. And is it b or B? Goodness, to think... I was once a professional. Our IBM PCs had, what, 10Mb hard disks? And the "full-hight" disks in my servers were the size of bricks.

But can I put 2+2 and 4+4 in my DDR3 slots.
Old 9th September 2017, 20:47   #3088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hah Hah, it's a long time since I got my Ms and Gs mixed up like that. And is it b or B? Goodness, to think... I was once a professional. Our IBM PCs had, what, 10Mb hard disks? And the "full-hight" disks in my servers were the size of bricks.

But can I put 2+2 and 4+4 in my DDR3 slots.
4GB of RAM if quite sufficient, and since its DDR3 I assume the system isn't too old that it can't handle simple tasks like internet browsing no matter which browser you are using.
Your DDR3 RAM would be 1333Mhz probably, so get another stick with the same frequency either 2 or 4 GB. Place the RAM in alternate slots, if there are 4 RAM slots.
One of my PC has DDR3 4GB RAM single stick, Windows 10 runs on it smoothly, it can handle evryday tasks with ease no problems whatsoever.

If your PC is running on integrated graphics get a GPU it will make a much significant improvement than increasing the RAM.
Old 9th September 2017, 22:35   #3089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
4GB of RAM if quite sufficient, and since its DDR3 I assume the system isn't too old that it can't handle simple tasks like internet browsing no matter which browser you are using.
It should. But I find that Firefox litterally clogs everything up

Quote:
Your DDR3 RAM would be 1333Mhz probably, so get another stick with the same frequency either 2 or 4 GB. Place the RAM in alternate slots, if there are 4 RAM slots.
One of my PC has DDR3 4GB RAM single stick, Windows 10 runs on it smoothly, it can handle evryday tasks with ease no problems whatsoever.

If your PC is running on integrated graphics get a GPU it will make a much significant improvement than increasing the RAM.
Hmmm... Yes it does and I had forgotten to think of adding a GPU. Had been thinking of it too, as the built in limits my kernel updates due to driver availability.

Thanks very much. I'll try to do both!
Old 10th September 2017, 12:36   #3090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Aroy, what GPU are u using ? SLI Setup i believe ?
No SLI, just two cards supporting 2 displays each
. ATI Radeon HD 6800
. ATI Radeon HD 5450

Actually I rarely need 3D support, so any card supporting 2+ monitors does for me.

OT
I also have 6 HDD a mix of 1TB and 2TB. I upgrade the HDD every few years, started with 80GB, then 300GB then 750GB now 1T and 2TB. Four are in a hot plug cage.

I use the older HDD as secondary backup and check them every year - copy the data to another HDD and back. The oldest HDD is well over 12 years old and still functions. My primary backup are external USB 2TB drives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks