Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 13:46   #2461
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
come sir, you are absolutely ignoring the one thing that does make the difference ie Jitter
Difference to what? Clock jitter is miniscule and can be only measured by instruments. Yes it certainly exists, but can the human ear discern it? May be some self proclaimed audiophiles can but the vast majority of us cannot. You see, when it is comes to video/audio, everything is purely subjective and opinions on what looks/sounds better are well, just that, opinions not scientific facts.

But that still doesn't change the fact that the data is digital till it is converted into an analogue signal by the DAC, (what you quoted from Thad's post.) and I still can't figure out what content or information the site (www.jitter.de) has that changes it.

As far as audiophools are concerned - Audiophiles can't tell the difference between Monster Cable and coat hangers -- Engadget

PS - I am from the IT field, both hardware and software, since 1994 and a budget audiophile since 1989

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th July 2012 at 13:53.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:14   #2462
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's something that I wrote elsewhere, recently, about jitter.
Quote:
Re: Jitter isn't nonsense

No it isn't. It is perfectly sound, in theory, and even one of the easier audio problems to explain and understand.

However, is it relevant in real life? Get away from the audiophoolery, and look at pro or semi-pro sources like Sound on Sound. Along with the explanation, you'll find that the problem was mostly sorted years ago. And those articles were written years ago.

In an ordinarily-priced CD player: No, because the transport and the DAC are so closely linked.

In a PC+sound-card system: No, because actually none of use the specially-designed-to-be-bad sound cards that the digital phools assume that we use. In fact, really bad sound cards have not been available since the days when Soundblasters lived up to their name.

Thus, in digital audio, and especially in PC digital audio, almost all of the mays mights and buts can be very safely ignored.
That is not to say that these systems always work perfectly. I've had more than my share of bad PC sound --- but when it happens, it is obvious, not subtle. Audible crackles and dropouts are not a digital sound problem, they are a problem with the particular machine/configuration that is producing them.

I suspect that "Jitter" gets talked about a lot because it looks like an onomatopoeic word. It reminds people of wow and flutter! It's much easier to pretend to understand "jitter" than quantization errors or harmonic distortions --- and this is true even of people who know what it actually is.
Old 26th July 2012, 22:59   #2463
BHPian

Laptop:

Dell Studio 1450
Processor : Core 2 Duo (forgot the speed)
RAM : 3GB DDR2 RAM
HDD : 320 GB HDD
Screen :14" 1366x768 display

Office Desktop:

Dell Vostro

Processor : Core 2 Duo (forgot the speed)
RAM : 3GB DDR2 RAM
HDD : 320 GB HDD
Screen :18.5" 1366x768 display
Old 27th July 2012, 23:22   #2464
BHPian

Hi guys, I am a total beginner when it comes to computers. I am planning to upgrade my PC.

The current setup is

1. Asus motherboard
2. 2.2 Ghz intel dual core processor
3. 2 GB DDR3 RAM
4. 500 GB hard disk
5. NO graphics card !

What I want now is

1. A new motherboard which supports i5 3rd generation processor.
2. 8 GB RAM
3. I won't be needing another hard disk
4. I need a graphic card. Preferably 2gb but I don't have an idea which one to go for.
5. I am also going in for cooler master TCP-812 cooling unit

NOTE: I would be using this computer for rendering using softwares like autocad, 3DS maxx, sketchup, V-ray, photoshop etc etc. And yeah, I would play games too.

My max budget is Rs 25,000. Not a penny more.

Do you think I will be able to get all these in the said budget ? I don't need a cabinet, screen , UPS, keyboard or mouse. I already have those. Please help guys . And yeah, I don't mind waiting for a few months if there are any new things coming out or maybe if there is a price decrease !

Please help guys

Aditya
Old 28th July 2012, 21:25   #2465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
NOTE: I would be using this computer for rendering using softwares like autocad, 3DS maxx, sketchup, V-ray, photoshop etc etc. And yeah, I would play games too.

Aditya
You don't need an i5 for your workloads. i3 will do. try to get 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM.

What type of HDD you are using now. I mean PATA, SATA or SATA 2 (latest). These are incompatible types. If your new motherboard doesn't have older type connector for HDD, your older drive may be rendered useless.

What type of games you wish to play. Normally any 1GB card is more than sufficient. Just make sure it follows latest Directx 11.1 or 11.2 standard.
Old 29th July 2012, 00:37   #2466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
You don't need an i5 for your workloads. i3 will do. try to get 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM.

What type of HDD you are using now. I mean PATA, SATA or SATA 2 (latest). These are incompatible types. If your new motherboard doesn't have older type connector for HDD, your older drive may be rendered useless.

What type of games you wish to play. Normally any 1GB card is more than sufficient. Just make sure it follows latest Directx 11.1 or 11.2 standard.
I have an e-SATA 500 GB HDD. I think it will work. Rest i was thinking about i5 because i wont be upgrading the processor for a long time. But if there is a big price difference then i will go for i3 itself.

For games , i usually play crisis , NFS series ( i am looking forward for most wanted which is coming in october ) so therefore these kinds. If you have an idea of motherboards, can you please provide me with the model numbers ?

Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 00:06   #2467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj

What I want now is

1. A new motherboard which supports i5 3rd generation processor.
2. 8 GB RAM
4. I need a graphic card. Preferably 2gb but I don't have an idea which one to go for.
5. I am also going in for cooler master TCP-812 cooling unit

Please help guys

Aditya
i5-3470. 11k
Motherboard - 3k onwards as per choice
8GB DDR3 1600MHz - 2.6k
Card - ATI 5450 2gb - 2.6k
TCP 812 - 4.2k
Total 23.4k (you can spend the balance 1.6k on the board or the graphics card)

i5 does make a lot of difference while 3d rendering, i am using one.

EDIT: Sorry hadn't read the date of the quoted post.

Last edited by k2max6 : 4th December 2012 at 00:12.
Old 26th December 2012, 15:47   #2468
BHPian

Sourcing old computers, software & books in Chennai.

This might seem a bit odd, but I have an interest in retro-computing and have been on the lookout for a ZX Spectrum or other similar 8 bit computers for a long time. I found a couple of junked one at a roadside next to Chennai station, nearly 10 years ago. Unfortunately, they had been rusted and mangled well beyond repair.

Now, I'm preparing to go to Chennai this weekend (to meet relatives!) and was wondering if anyone knew of any shops where I might find these old computers or software or books related to them.

I dimly remember a few places that used to sell the ZX Spectrum in the 80's: Computer Point and Little Kingdom for example. Obviously, they discontinued sales of these a long time ago.

There used to be a shop called Balaji Spectrum Center, near Ramapuram, I think. My memory isn't what it used to be, sadly. But that too should have shuttered long ago.

So then, any advice on where one should look for such stuff in Chennai would be useful!
Old 26th December 2012, 17:50   #2469
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sourcing old computers, software & books in Chennai.

The best place to start looking for old stuff continues to remain the area around the erstwhile Moore Market. There is a 'shopping' complex, Lily Pond complex, marked by the red circle in the image below. Also, the road nearby, marked by the red straight line has road-side stalls which usually have tools/hardware, and also old/sometimes-antique items as well. You could check out these places.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-mooremarket01.jpg

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=1...h&z=17&vpsrc=6

For old books, there used to be a road-side book stall at Luz corner, on Luz Church road. Though I havent been there recently, I heard that it is still functional at the same place. You need to look along the side of the road shown by the red line in the below image.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-luzcorner.jpg

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=1...h&z=18&vpsrc=6

You could also check out the Mount road Bata corner building...there is a book shop there...they may be able to guide you.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-mountroadbata.jpg

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=1...h&z=18&vpsrc=6

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 26th December 2012 at 17:56.
Old 27th December 2012, 12:28   #2470
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply Blue Thunder. Will check out these places!
Old 1st January 2013, 18:03   #2471
Senior - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Got a desktop assembled for myself, will be using for editing the pictures taken with my SLR

Intel 645 Dual core processor 2.9 Mhz
Intel DH67CL mother board with USB 3.0, HDMI, 7.1 audio and RAM support upto 32GB (for future upgrade)
Transcend 8GB DDIII RAM
WDC 1TB 7200 RPM 64Mb cache HDD
Zebronic Rock n Roll Cabinet
Acer 22 inch LED HD monitor

Performance is Ok though wanted a i5 or i7 processor. But these processor price was overshot from budget, so thought of upgrading later. Hence got a good motherboard and mediocre processor.

Any good speaker for 7.1 audio out? checked in SP road Bangalore and most of them had only Creative 5.1 for 2.5K rupees.
Old 1st January 2013, 18:46   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Got a desktop assembled for myself, will be using for editing the pictures taken with my SLR
What was the cost of this configuration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Any good speaker for 7.1 audio out? checked in SP road Bangalore and most of them had only Creative 5.1 for 2.5K rupees.
For 7.1 audio, only option is to use HDMI. I don't think there is any speaker package that has HDMI input, you will have to purchase a AVR that decodes 7. channels and amplifies the signal.

Or you can use Logitech 5.1 speakers that will work with optical out from PC.
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:25   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What was the cost of this configuration?

For 7.1 audio, only option is to use HDMI. I don't think there is any speaker package that has HDMI input, you will have to purchase a AVR that decodes 7. channels and amplifies the signal.

Or you can use Logitech 5.1 speakers that will work with optical out from PC.
thanks for the input netfreakBombay. It was around 29K. Rough break up is like this

Monitor -- 8.9K
Ram -- 1.75K
Motherboard and Processor -- 10K
Cabinet -- 2.5K
HDD -- 4K+
Keyboard and Mouse -- 600

All in all final price was around 29K

Probably I was charged 1K more but i was in real hurry to buy the desktop. Buying the desktop was pending for last 1 year and unprocessed pictures started piling up in my old laptop, so went on Thursday evening and bought it rightaway.

I will use this processor for one or two years and then upgrade to some i7 processor since motherboard has i7 support. Tried running light room, viewNX etc they worked good. Initially i thought i made mistake by buying 22 inch monitor later realized that it was a good choice. Wide screen is really helpful during editing in lightroom.
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:27   #2474
BHPian

First things first: I don't see why my original thread (Sourcing old computers in Chennai) - a very specific query - has been moved into this generic thread (Computers and Configuration). My thread has nothing to do with modern computers or their configuration. Anyhow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
The best place to start looking for old stuff continues to remain the area around the erstwhile Moore Market. There is a 'shopping' complex, Lily Pond complex, marked by the red circle in the image below. Also, the road nearby, marked by the red straight line has road-side stalls which usually have tools/hardware, and also old/sometimes-antique items as well. You could check out these places.
Due to a very tight schedule, I had only an hour to spare to check out these places. To make it worse, there are all sorts of road work going on with diversions and one-way lanes. I could only go to the Moore Market area and that too was heavily jammed with traffic due to road repair. Plus, it was a Sunday and it seems the entire city had shuttered down for vacation! I couldn't spot a single road-side vendor or books shop that was open on Anna Salai - Ponamalle road, even though I had gone post-noon.

In the end, I had to accept defeat and return. I will have to return another day with some more time on my hands.
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:44   #2475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider77 View Post
...it was a Sunday and it seems the entire city had shuttered down for vacation! I couldn't spot a single road-side vendor or books shop that was open on Anna Salai - Ponamalle road, even though I had gone post-noon.

In the end, I had to accept defeat and return. I will have to return another day with some more time on my hands.
Sunday is probably not a good day to check out the places I mentioned. Even if they do business on SUnday, it will be only the morning half.

The best time would be early evenings (4:00pm to 6:00pm) weekdays to avoid the crowd; else saturday evening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks