Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 22:37   #2311
BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
Thanks, Its at 5ghz most of the time I have never taken it below that after the first week of having the chip, its 100% stable at 5+ even but I game at 5Ghz, I am happy there, I have benched at 5.5Ghz, though, and booted even at 5.6-5.7 but not more.

About building computers, I did that in University to afford partying PM me your requiremend and I will if I can help in anyway.
Thanks, will contact you when the time comes.
About water cooling - any risks in such a setup - I'm thinking leakage, and water and electricity in close proximity. Also, how much power/current does the water cooling equipment draw ? I haven't seen figures mentioned for such solutions, only mainboards, CPU/GPU , RAM , hard drives etc ; I expect the TX650 I have is sufficient for 4 HDDs , 1 GPU and water cooling , or will I need a bigger SMPS ?
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:34   #2312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Thanks, will contact you when the time comes.
About water cooling - any risks in such a setup - I'm thinking leakage, and water and electricity in close proximity. Also, how much power/current does the water cooling equipment draw ? I haven't seen figures mentioned for such solutions, only mainboards, CPU/GPU , RAM , hard drives etc ; I expect the TX650 I have is sufficient for 4 HDDs , 1 GPU and water cooling , or will I need a bigger SMPS ?
I was using a HX620 for my setup till a few months ago and now I gave that to my cousin. And I had 4HDD's 7 fans, CPU OC'ed to 5Ghz+ UV lights, Watercooling everything and it was fine with the HX620.
So in short the TX650 is plenty.
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:40   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It came with the case. Although you cannot see it in this picture from Antec, every one of those front panels has this filter mesh glued on the inside.

However, if I knew the answers to your questions, I might experiment with, for instance, opening up PCI slots for greater air intake, making my own mesh cover. As it is, I have blocked all openings that are not filtered. I doubt that it is expensive: it is just a case of getting the right stuff. Maybe even something like muslin (a very open-weave cloth) would do, but that would probably have to be considered disposable, not washable and re-usable.

I too would be interested in input from anyone who has made their own filter.

With any change to cabinet airflow, it is really important to monitor the results. Failing to do so could be horribly expensive. I keep sensor and fan speed applets running on a Ubuntu [Linux] panel

Attachment 910906

-1 is a failed disc: it isn't there! 36C is the CPU, 832rpm the CPU cooler. The general temperature and the power regulator temperature are at 41. Ambient is 30.5 just now with no AC. I have the machine's front door open to maximise that inflow.
You can just buy filters from any online store...newegg or frozenCPU to name a few, look 'em up.

But don't add another intake at the back where the PCI slots are, it might just make matters worse temp wise.

if you have 2 intake at the front and 2 exhaust with the P183, i believe they can be controller as well, so those 4 should be plenty, unless you are running dual graphics or something...
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:08   #2314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But don't add another intake at the back where the PCI slots are, it might just make matters worse temp wise.
Yes, we have to be careful about the actual airflow, not just the quantity of air. As supplied, the PCI-slot covers are ventilated: but I blocked them so as to keep dust out.

With intake fans, you are probably right that I shuld not change this.

I try to achieve the effect of a Merc running at 30kph with my machine! The 850w PSU is never having to supply more than about 130w: it purrs along. In fact, not even a purr; it is silent. As it is so under-stressed, I keep hdds in the same separated compartment, with an input fan blowing on them. Actually, this is not really necessary now, as my really hot hdd failed [cry].
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:53   #2315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
Thought I'd share mine Some of you guys form the other forums have seen it already,
but anyway, of other Bhpians here....
  • Intel 2600K @ 5.5Ghz! on ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
  • 8Gb HyperxT1 DDR3 and 2x HyperX SSD 128Gb (OS and Gaming)
  • ASUS GTX 580 Direct CU II and Xonar.ST
  • Corsair HX750 Housed in a Corsair 800D
  • 6TB Storage
  • XSPC Rasa 750 Water Cooler, Triple 120 Rad.
  • Dual-bay Res. and Pump.
  • Scythe Master Kaze 6 Fan and Temp. Controller
  • All Cables Blue Sleeved

....built by ME.
Got any screenshots running Prime / SuperPiMod at 5.5 GHz?
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:05   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Got any screenshots running Prime / SuperPiMod at 5.5 GHz?
Ofcourse...here are a few:

OCCT at 5Ghz for 24/7 usage, max temp in 70's I think:

Intel Burn Test at 5Ghz again for 24/7 stability testing:

Here is 5.4 With SuperPrime Mod1.5:

One more of her

I can't find any screen with 5.5 or 5.6, I am running 24/7 at 5Ghz, if you would like I can look more else can bench her again anytime for super Prime.
The above 5.4 was benched with a normal corsair H50!! and not even this triple radiator setup.
Hope you like...

Last edited by nanu28 : 3rd April 2012 at 19:06.
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:08   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Sweet! What sort of 3DMark scores are you getting? I run my 2600K at 4.6 on air 24x7, though I have benched at 4.8 before. 5 GHz stable 24x7 won't happen on air.
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:11   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
Sweet! What sort of 3DMark scores are you getting? I run my 2600K at 4.6 on air 24x7, though I have benched at 4.8 before. 5 GHz stable 24x7 won't happen on air.
NO I dont think its possible on air for 24/7 5ghz.
There is not really much difference with 4.6 and 5. If you are looking at gaming, really now is there?

3Dmark I haven't run it or don't remember, I am really not into benching, just like my games to be smooth
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:13   #2319
Senior - BHPian

It may make a couple fps difference on my system if I managed to get 5GHz, but nothing I'd really care about.

BTW, 1.65V to get to 5.4GHz?! You'd fry that chip in no time at that sort of voltage. Be very careful. Even 1.48 is higher than I'd want to be 24x7. I'm at 1.40V and don't want to go any higher 24x7.

Here's a screenshot of my last 3DMark11 run in Feb with whatever drivers were current then...
Attached Thumbnails
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-3dmark-11-extreme-feb-12-bench.jpg  

Last edited by kbk_75 : 3rd April 2012 at 19:21.
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:19   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
It may make a couple fps difference on my system if I managed to get 5GHz, but nothing I'd really care about.

BTW, 1.65V to get to 5.4GHz?! You'd fry that chip in no time at that sort of voltage. Be very careful. Even 1.48 is higher than I'd want to be 24x7. I'm at 1.40V and don't want to go any higher 24x7.
You made me go and run CPUID and superPrime to check again.
Its at 1.5v, but I also have that powersaving on, so it drops to 1.6Ghz and less than a volt evev when browsing, only does 1.5 when needed, you know what I am talking about.

Plus I am not worried about frying the chip, she is not even touching 80'C yet, so I have some more head way, that 1.65, was to check when the Chip would stop booting, it couldn't boot at57x but at 56x it does, need to play more in bios for that, but I have benched at 5555
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:22   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You made me go and run CPUID and superPrime to check again.
Its at 1.5v, but I also have that powersaving on, so it drops to 1.6Ghz and less than a volt evev when browsing, only does 1.5 when needed, you know what I am talking about.

Plus I am not worried about frying the chip, she is not even touching 80'C yet, so I have some more head way, that 1.65, was to check when the Chip would stop booting, it couldn't boot at57x but at 56x it does, need to play more in bios for that, but I have benched at 5555
Yeah I'm at 1.6 for light load use as well, but it's not just heat that will kill the chip. Search for sudden death syndrome Sandybridge. Apparently these chips sometimes die with excessive volts even WITHOUT excessive heat. Heads up!
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:27   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah I'm at 1.6 for light load use as well, but it's not just heat that will kill the chip. Search for sudden death syndrome Sandybridge. Apparently these chips sometimes die with excessive volts even WITHOUT excessive heat. Heads up!

...its ok Sir, Ivy Bridge is around the corner
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:29   #2323
Senior - BHPian

Hahaha! Good for you! Been there myself!

Here's my set-up, for comparison!

CPU Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core @ 4.7 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 (P67)
Heat Sink Fan Thermalright Silver Arrow
Thermal Paste Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
GPU #1 1536 MB MSI GTX580 OC
GPU #2 1536 MB MSI GTX580 OC
Sound Card Sound Blaster X Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
SSD #1 256GB Crucial C300
SSD #2 256GB Crucial C300
HDD #1 2TB WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm
HDD #2 3TB Hitachi 7200 rpm
Bluray Burner LG Bluray / HD-DVD / DVD / CD
DVD Burner Liteon Lightscribe
Keyboard Razer Lycosa Mirror
Mouse Logitech G700
Case CoolerMaster HAF-X
PSU Corsair AX1200W
Monitor 30" Dell Ultrasharp U3011 2560x1600
Speakers Creative Inspire T6100 5.1

And here's a quick bench of the RAID 0'd SSDs. Look at moving to a 256 for your next upgrade. They are MUCH faster than the 128s. Mine are only SATA2, but the SATA3 256GB SSDs manage some crazy speeds even stand alone!
Attached Thumbnails
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-ssd-raid-0-benchmark.jpg  

Last edited by kbk_75 : 3rd April 2012 at 19:48.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:21   #2324
BHPian

The IvyBirdge was a joke, no I am confident my chip would last me sometime, 1.5 is ok for it.

Yeah 256 are much faster SSD, but I don't really need more room on either of 'em they are both haldf empty still, but they are both SATA3 I have some benches somewhere, though I am not raiding them, I didn't find the need, as I only game on it.

My next upgrade is GTX 680's under water probably

Love the fact that you are using SLI, would love to meet you sometime, PM me where do stay in Bombay, I am in Bombay often. YGPM. Its nice to meet someone with such similar interests. Or PM me if you are ever in Pune and have some time to kill, m @Kalyani Nagar.
PS love your M3 too

Note From Team-BHP Support-Team: Only TWO smilies allowed per post. Please refrain from adding more.

Quote:
Hahaha! Good for you! Been there myself!

Here's my set-up, for comparison!...

...And here's a quick bench of the RAID 0'd SSDs. Look at moving to a 256 for your next upgrade. They are MUCH faster than the 128s. Mine are only SATA2, but the SATA3 256GB SSDs manage some crazy speeds even stand alone!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th April 2012 at 22:52. Reason: Also, please avoid quoting entire posts as it may inconvenience small-screen and mobile users. Thanks. :)
Old 4th April 2012, 13:12   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The IvyBirdge was a joke, no I am confident my chip would last me sometime, 1.5 is ok for it.

Yeah 256 are much faster SSD, but I don't really need more room on either of 'em they are both haldf empty still, but they are both SATA3 I have some benches somewhere, though I am not raiding them, I didn't find the need, as I only game on it.

My next upgrade is GTX 680's under water probably

Love the fact that you are using SLI, on a U3011, very nice!!! Would love to meet you sometime, PM me where do stay in Bombay, I am in Bombay often. YGPM. Its nice to meet someone with such similar interests. Or PM me if you are ever in Pune and have some time to kill, in @Kalyani Nagar.
PS love your M3 too
What games do you regularly play? What monitor are you using? What res? Do you feel a 580 GTX is not enough atm? Have you tried overclocking it? I know I will not be buying a new graphics card for at least the next 18 months or so, because there is NOTHING that 2 580 GTXs OC'd cannot handle comfortably even at 2560x1600 with 4xAA and 8xAF. I'd look at getting another 580GTX and running them in SLI, if I were you. Will cost a lot less once the 680s hit the street and will knock the spots off a 680 performance-wise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks