Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 15:21   #1921
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
But now after seeing the Pic of the SMPS i can sence a Problem, as the Cabinet has SMPS Slot at bottom and even SMPS has fan downwards hope it will not create any issues.
I think it will.

Power supply must have ventilation!
Old 4th May 2011, 15:48   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post

But now after seeing the Pic of the SMPS i can sence a Problem, as the Cabinet has SMPS Slot at bottom and even SMPS has fan downwards hope it will not create any issues.
I've had a bad experience with their power supplies - I had one of their 500W PSUs repeatedly kill my hard drive and almost killed a radeon 9800 pro graphics card. All depends on your luck I guess.
Old 5th May 2011, 12:30   #1923
BHPian

VIP built its reputation when it was sourcing from FSP, about four years ago they switched to another, cheaper OEM in China and the product quality fell through the floor.

Their last unit was a 400W PSU affectionately known as the 'VIP Silver'. they have not produced a single good supply after that, even if the power ratings have increased.

I would back ROC on looking for a new supply. Cabs with PSU slots on the bottom work fine with PSUs with one fan. There is usually enough space for ventilation, and for the paranoid you can turn the supply upside down and have the fan point into the motherboard area. It works well either way. Most supplies now only have that one fan anyway.
Old 5th May 2011, 14:35   #1924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cabs with PSU slots on the bottom work fine with PSUs with one fan.
Advantage: sucking in cooler air from outside the cabinet.
Disadvantage: close to the floor it would be very dusty air

Just thoughts. What do your think of them?
Old 5th May 2011, 14:55   #1925
Team-BHP Support

Finally got my new PC. Nothing very advanced, just something which will hopefully last me a few years.

Intel i7 2600
Intel DH67BL
Kingston 6GB Ram
Slim VIP cabinet (If it gives issues my comp guy will replace it)
Windows 7 Home Premium

Using previous -
320gb HDD
Sony Dvd Writer
Samsung 26" LCD
Altec Lansing THX certified speakers
Razer Lachesis mouse and Tarantula Keyboard
Old 5th May 2011, 15:30   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Just thoughts. What do your think of them?
Nice to see you here Thad, we know each other from an audio forum where I no longer am a member. Hope things are well with you.

If you keep PC on the floor the PSU should not face it unless it has a filter. OTOH, not everybody keeps it on the floor.

Dust is unavoidable when you have a fan, even if the physical distance is large. The suction creates dust at both sides of a fan, small or large.

Sometimes the PC may need help of a PSU fan specially if you have a very hot graphics card. However PSU efficiency and performance drops with temperature. I guess it will come down to each individual builder to choose their poison.

@akhsay, you are probably saddled with a cheap and nasty PSU, and if the circumstances are not right it may take out the board and/or the CPUs. Disks are especially vulnerable. Don't skimp on the power supply, it's one of the most vital bits of the system. Congrats on your system though
Old 5th May 2011, 17:05   #1927
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahh, yes indeed. Interforum lapse in my brain cells. Nice to see you here.

I agree about not skimping on the PSU --- but then I would, as I think mine is about 2.5 times over-specced! My recent build: cost of case+PSU, 17,000; cost of other contents, 24,000.
Old 5th May 2011, 17:36   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Finally got my new PC. Nothing very advanced, just something which will hopefully last me a few years.

Intel i7 2600
Intel DH67BL
Kingston 6GB Ram
Slim VIP cabinet (If it gives issues my comp guy will replace it)
Windows 7 Home Premium

Using previous -
320gb HDD
Sony Dvd Writer
Samsung 26" LCD
Altec Lansing THX certified speakers
Razer Lachesis mouse and Tarantula Keyboard
Congrats for the new purchse,
How much did the CPU and MoBo cost you..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
VIP built its reputation when it was sourcing from FSP, about four years ago they switched to another, cheaper OEM in China and the product quality fell through the floor.

Their last unit was a 400W PSU affectionately known as the 'VIP Silver'. they have not produced a single good supply after that, even if the power ratings have increased.

I would back ROC on looking for a new supply. Cabs with PSU slots on the bottom work fine with PSUs with one fan. There is usually enough space for ventilation, and for the paranoid you can turn the supply upside down and have the fan point into the motherboard area. It works well either way. Most supplies now only have that one fan anyway.
Even i had, VIP Gold PSU 400Watts earlier which is still Running strong, so it was my obvious choice was VIP, After looking at the PSU, its looking Strong, quite also quality of cables is also very good and its very heavy, now keeping fingures crossed, as its very difficult to get the same replaced as, Lamington Road is very far from my Place and I have already assembled the PC.Am just loving the Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think it will.

Power supply must have ventilation!
Cabinet has ventilation at bottom, so no worries, also it is almost 1 Inches above the ground, so ventilation will no be an issue, it has two more fans 1 For HDD and other for MoBo.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Use the "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 6th May 2011 at 11:20. Reason: posts merged...
Old 6th May 2011, 14:16   #1929
BHPian

Here's my current config:

Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz
Corsair 4GB RAM
Gigabyte H55M-D2H
ATI Radeon HD 5700 1GB
M-Audio Audiophile 192 Sound card (Yet to be connected, as I still need to buy a Dual 1/4" Mono Male to 1/8" Stereo Female cable)
500GB HDD
Altec Lansing MX 5021 THX Certified
Samsung 22" LCD SyncMaster B2230
Cooler Master Power Extreme 460W
Cooler Master Elite Cabinet
LG DVD Writer
Lite-On Blu Ray drive
Windows 7 Home Premium - OEM

Apple AirPort Extreme with 1 TB Maxtor HDD + 1 TB Seagate connected (Holds all my music and movies)

Macbook 2008 Black running on 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD and Snow Leopard.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:34   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
I still need to buy a Dual 1/4" Mono Male to 1/8" Stereo Female cable
No.

The 192 has balanced outputs and if you use a mono plug for the output you will short the cold end of the balanced signal. This will result in a lot of distortion.

You should ideally get a pair of 6mm stereo plug (known as TRS) and each plug should have a RCA male at the other end of the cable. The MX ships with an adapter that converts RCA to 3.5mm. In my case, I had modded the MX to accept RCA connections at the back.
cranky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 14:45   #1931
BHPian

Don't be surprised when your cheap PSU blows up : An article from my preferred tech site.

Don't Be Surprised When Your Cheap PSU Blows Up : 1670 Watts For $60?
Old 6th May 2011, 14:48   #1932
Senior - BHPian

that happened to my friend - had told him to spend a bit extra and get a reliable brand like Corsair, Antec or Coolermaster, but he didn't. paid the price when the PSU blew out his motherboard and a 500GB hard drive!

Old 6th May 2011, 14:54   #1933

Well I don't have a computer but I have a laptop and I want to share its configuration.
Dell 1525:
RAM: 4GB
Hard Disk: 500GB
Camera: 1.3MP
Screen: 15.6 inch
Processor: Intel I5
Old 6th May 2011, 15:16   #1934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
No.

The 192 has balanced outputs and if you use a mono plug for the output you will short the cold end of the balanced signal. This will result in a lot of distortion.

You should ideally get a pair of 6mm stereo plug (known as TRS) and each plug should have a RCA male at the other end of the cable. The MX ships with an adapter that converts RCA to 3.5mm. In my case, I had modded the MX to accept RCA connections at the back.
I have the RCA female to 3.5mm connectors for my MX. So these stereo plugs you're talking about go into the 1/4" connectors coming out from the breakout cable of the 192?
Old 6th May 2011, 15:52   #1935
BHPian

Yup.

The issue you will face is that there are no cables that ship standard with TRS on one end and RCA male on the other.

A very cheap way of solving this problem is to use two headphone adapters, these have TRS 6mm male and a hole for a 3.5mm headphone jack. You will need two 3.5mm-RCA male cables, these should be about 150 bucks or so for a decent one. You plug the headphone jacks into the adapters and the adapters into the soundcard. The red male plugs from both cables then plug into the female of the adapter provided by MX. Trouble is, there are too many metal-to-metal contacts with this method.

You should just get a custom cable made that has two TRS 6mm plugs on one end and a 3.5mm stereo on the other. Any soldering-capable repairman will make it for you with the right plugs and a length of 'headphone' cable, essentially two shielded cables in figure 8 form.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks