Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 22:39   #1876
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
It is now time to get a new monitor. It is gonna replace my 15" crt. I did read about the difference between LED and LCD monitors (telling there is no difference at all, or is there). I was planning to go for a 19", but then I got an offer for LG LED e2040t at 6.5K with 3 years warranty. My main use is watching movies, surfing and doing some Word document work (needs to have clear text). It is for a desktop PC.

I can stretch the budget a little more if i can get a 22" near that price range.
I've been happy with my 22" Samsung for the past couple of years, but I think it was double your budget at 13,000, and it's hardly an expensive one as monitors go .

This monitor is now onto its second computer. Remember, when you buy, you should be aiming for a few years of use, so you might as well spend as much as you can. For watching movies, you'll make good use of the biggest you can get.

Remember too that the widescreen format is pretty cramped, hight-wise, compared to the old CRT. Do check out the actual screen dimensions before buying.

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th March 2011 at 22:42. Reason: missed a quote ]
Old 29th March 2011, 23:21   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This monitor is now onto its second computer. Remember, when you buy, you should be aiming for a few years of use, so you might as well spend as much as you can. For watching movies, you'll make good use of the biggest you can get.
i still got my Sony 17" from 7yrs back and its seen three PCs. when i bought it then it cost cost a bomb - 18.6K! now i want a 24" Dell Ultrasharp, but HQ won't authorize
Old 30th March 2011, 00:57   #1878
BHPian

Anyone here using Reliance Broadband?
I got myself a Belkin wireless router (http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=522108) for WiFi and I use Reliance Broadband in which I need to log in to access the internet. What I thought was that I would log in to my PC and then use net on my Laptop and Mobile, as the wifi supports maximum of 4 points. But as i connected, the Reliance Login page appeared, cant use net without logging in and if I log in from a remote device then i log out from my PC.
Old 30th March 2011, 01:43   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I got myself a Belkin wireless router (http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=522108) for WiFi and I use Reliance Broadband in which I need to log in to access the internet. What I thought was that I would log in to my PC and then use net on my Laptop and Mobile, as the wifi supports maximum of 4 points. But as i connected, the Reliance Login page appeared, cant use net without logging in and if I log in from a remote device then i log out from my PC.
Got it working using CCProxy, here is the software - Proxy Server CCProxy - Easy-to-use Proxy Software for Windows 2000/98/XP/NT/2003/Vista
Now I can use net on all the places I want, the speed is distributed though.
Old 30th March 2011, 06:36   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
I've been happy with my 22" Samsung for the past couple of years, but I think it was double your budget at 13,000, and it's hardly an expensive one as monitors go .

Remember too that the widescreen format is pretty cramped, hight-wise, compared to the old CRT. Do check out the actual screen dimensions before buying.~
Ya Thad E Ginathom..the price difference between a 20" and 22" is close to double, about 6.2k for 20" and 11k for 22". The dealer said people are using 22" as TV, thats why the increased price.

I've been using 15" for about 6 years now, so 20" will be quite a big difference for me. Have to find out if i will like the wide screen after watching the square CRT monitor for a long time. I was going to go for LG E2040T, it is 20" and has a viewing screen of 20" diagonal and is 4:3 wide (dont know what that mean).

LG E2040T-PN Monitors Computer Products
Old 30th March 2011, 08:52   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Most likely you are running with the Reliance IP being assigned to the PC directly - you can check in the computer's network settings.
Make changes to the router and device settings - so that the router gets the reliance IP (123.*.*.*) and the router in turn assigns a local intranet IP (192.168.1.*) to each of the connecting devices either by DHCP or manually. It works that way and you need to login from the first device that connects to the internet alone, and can use the connection on all others.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:44   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was going to go for LG E2040T, it is 20" and has a viewing screen of 20" diagonal and is 4:3 wide (dont know what that mean).
its the aspect ratio: 16:9 is basically your wide-screen format (LCD/LED monitors/TVs) and 4:3 is like your normal CRT monitor/TV.

Aspect Ratio
Old 30th March 2011, 09:47   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Most likely you are running with the Reliance IP being assigned to the PC directly - you can check in the computer's network settings.
Make changes to the router and device settings - so that the router gets the reliance IP (123.*.*.*) and the router in turn assigns a local intranet IP (192.168.1.*) to each of the connecting devices either by DHCP or manually. It works that way and you need to login from the first device that connects to the internet alone, and can use the connection on all others.
Well that is what happens, my PC IP address goes like this 123.237.xx.xx and when I connect my Laptop or mobile, they get an IP address as 192.168.1.x.

Yesterday I thought I got it working, but I haven't, so any help would be appreciated.
Also i had called reliance and they said that I am using a Single User plan and if I wanted to use multiple computers I would need to get a multi-user plan. I really am not interested in that.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:54   #1884
BHPian

Here are mine -

PC1: Music/HT:

Athlon X2 4000+, Asus M3A78-EM, 4GB DDR2, 2.3 TB of disk space. Antec NSK2480+EA380, 22" Dell LCD (temporary while I gather funds for a proper display).

PC2: Server, storage, downloading and browsing.

AthlonII X4 620, Asus M4A88TD-M EVO, 8GB DDR3, 3.8TB of disk space. Antec Solo/Coolermaster Elite 360, Corsair VX450.

PC3: Gaming

PhenomII 550BE, Gigabyte GA-MA790X, 4GB DDR2, 1TB of disk space. NZXT Zero, Corsair TX750. Palit 4870x2 Revolution graphics card.

The last two PCs share a Dell 3008WFP as the display.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:58   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well that is what happens, my PC IP address goes like this 123.237.xx.xx and when I connect my Laptop or mobile, they get an IP address as 192.168.1.x.

Yesterday I thought I got it working, but I haven't, so any help would be appreciated.
Also i had called reliance and they said that I am using a Single User plan and if I wanted to use multiple computers I would need to get a multi-user plan. I really am not interested in that.
there are routers that can spoof the PC's IP and allow multiple devices to connect to it. also, the wifi connections are limited by the number you decide and configure on the router. only the physical connections are limited to 4 as there might be only 4 ethernet ports on the back of the router.

also, since your PC is getting the external IP address directly, i believe you're running the router on Bridge mode rather than PPPoE, am i right? if yes, you'll need to change to PPPoE mode and enable DHCP on the router; this will enable connectivity for your other devices. you'll need to then configure the user id and password (and other settings) on the router itself, rather than the PC.

it would be nice if you could post some screenshots of your setup page - would give us an idea how you've configured your router.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:49   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
You need to verify the router and pc/device settings:
1) I am assuming you are using Reliance wired router + Belkin wifi router. Play with the settings (there are multiple ways you can do this) until you have the router with the 123.*.*.* IP. You will need to have either router in dynamic/MER mode to achieve this depending on which one acts as the IP obtaining router.
An indicative guide (though for a single adsl modem+router is here: Reliance Wired Broadband - Wifi with ADSL modem+router guide)
2) On each PC/device, make sure the IP is different and in the local intranet IP range (192.168.1.*). Whether you directly assign an IP or let it pick one automatically from router depends on whether you enabled DHCP on the router.
Quote:
Also i had called reliance and they said that I am using a Single User plan and if I wanted to use multiple computers I would need to get a multi-user plan.
Interesting you believe Reliance customer care can actually help on technical matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
...only the physical connections are limited to 4 as there might be only 4 ethernet ports on the back of the router.
Yes, I think the theoretical limit is 255 devices on wifi.
Quote:
..., you'll need to change to PPPoE mode and enable DHCP on the router; this will enable connectivity for your other devices. you'll need to then configure the user id and password (and other settings) on the router itself, rather than the PC.
No PPPoE mode in Reliance; they use a non-standard authentication mechanism. It has to be dynamic/MER mode on router.
Old 30th March 2011, 18:38   #1887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i still got my Sony 17" from 7yrs back and its seen three PCs. when i bought it then it cost cost a bomb - 18.6K! now i want a 24" Dell Ultrasharp, but HQ won't authorize
Been there, wanted that!

Although my gadget buying fund (from a small pension) is, technically, separate to "family money", the feelings of my Financial Director still have to be respected! My NEC 17" CRT was courtesy of my ex-employer: It had seen a good few years duty too.

Quote:
Ya Thad E Ginathom..the price difference between a 20" and 22" is close to double, about 6.2k for 20" and 11k for 22". The dealer said people are using 22" as TV, thats why the increased price.

I've been using 15" for about 6 years now, so 20" will be quite a big difference for me. Have to find out if i will like the wide screen after watching the square CRT monitor for a long time. I was going to go for LG E2040T, it is 20" and has a viewing screen of 20" diagonal and is 4:3 wide (dont know what that mean).

LG E2040T-PN Monitors Computer Products
As I said, just watch out for that hight, or you might not feel like you upgraded at all.

I tend to keep things like web browser, wp, and similar applications, looking much the same format as the old CRT screen. Although some people browse full-width, I don't find it comfortable on the eye. I'm left with room for a row of frequently used icons on my desktop (and all other apps I start from the menu, and for utilities and/or media player etc.

Wide-screen is the biggest boon to spreadsheet users, of course!
Old 31st March 2011, 16:55   #1888
BHPian

Ok so at last I went for samsung syncMaster B2030. Only difference i found between LG e 2040 was that it was slim and consumed less power, but I dont have problem with either, and the deciding factor was the 800 rs difference. Been playing around with it for the past 2 hours. Did not find any problems till now. The movies look great, so does winword.
Old 31st March 2011, 21:15   #1889
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent. I can't understand the marketing obsession with making things "slim". Unless you are hanging the thing on a wall, what does a few mm matter?

Here's my cooler upgrade, fitted today...

Noctua cooler compared to stock AMD cooler:

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-coolers.jpg

My PC now weighs 20kg, so I am even more pleased with the trolley I made a couple of weeks ago:

PC on Wheels:

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-wheels.jpg

If I load every processor 100% then I also have to run the two case fans (manual-select 3-speed) at full speed, and the big Noctua (mb-controlled) will hit 1000rpm-plus. The case fans are much noisier than the Noctua. Even at that speed, there is none of the whine that was so annoying with the stock AMD fan. At my normal cpu loading, I have one fan on low, one on medium, and the rpm of the Noctua remains under 700. The motherboard seems to be (voltage-) controlling the cpu-cooler fans nicely: I am not using the speed-reducing low-noise or ultra-low-noise adapters provided by Noctua.
Old 31st March 2011, 23:12   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's my cooler upgrade, fitted today...

Noctua cooler compared to stock AMD cooler:
that looks like a super burger from the side

are you moving into hardcore gaming?? why such a big cooler?

the 80mm fan on the top, is it a intake or exhaust? if it is a intake, you might want to position it somewhere else as it might disrupt the airflow from the super burger

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks