Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 11:29   #1846
Senior - BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Yes a single process would be limited to 4G, but software that need 10+ GB RAM always have workaround. E.g. DB2 and Oracle fork subrpocesses.

Browsers like Chrome now fork a subprocess for each tab.

64 bit OS is definitely better, but if someone is stuck with 32 bit for any reason, there are ways to use up to 64 GB RAM.
Old 18th March 2011, 12:22   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
every motherboard I have seen in the past fifteen-plus years has had four slots for two pairs of memory.

Wait... I'm talking about desktops: are you talking about laptops? Somewhere we have got our lines crossed. Let's nail down the misunderstanding.
My mistake, I was talking desktops only. Thanks for the correction, it is time I get back to building a desktop again.

I wouldn't say fifteen years but it seems that since the last couple of years most boards have 4 or more slots.
Old 18th March 2011, 12:51   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes a single process would be limited to 4G, but software that need 10+ GB RAM always have workaround. E.g. DB2 and Oracle fork subrpocesses.

Browsers like Chrome now fork a subprocess for each tab.

64 bit OS is definitely better, but if someone is stuck with 32 bit for any reason, there are ways to use up to 64 GB RAM.
It depends on the application. For scientific number crunching large address space is required. For commercial software more RAM means more concurrent users, each with limited RAM requirement. Former necessitates application level large memory access, while the latter can work well within the 3GB limit for each user.
Old 18th March 2011, 13:15   #1849
Senior - BHPian

i've a question: when i got my Elitebook 8440p, it came pre-installed with Vista Enterprise 32-bit and did show all of the 4GB RAM installed in use. later i upgraded to Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and now it shows 4GB installed but 2.92GB usable!

Name:  8440p.PNG
Views: 481
Size:  11.6 KB

is there some sort of setting that limits the amount of memory that can be used on a 64-bit Windows 7?
Old 18th March 2011, 13:20   #1850
BHPian

2.92GB is the total amount of RAM available for the OS. THe remaining amount of RAM could be shared between you on-board graphics adapter and for other I/O activities.

You can reduce the amt of RAM used by the graphics card in the BIOS.

Cheers,
Rajesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i've a question: when i got my Elitebook 8440p, it came pre-installed with Vista Enterprise 32-bit and did show all of the 4GB RAM installed in use. later i upgraded to Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and now it shows 4GB installed but 2.92GB usable!

Attachment 519486

is there some sort of setting that limits the amount of memory that can be used on a 64-bit Windows 7?
Old 18th March 2011, 13:33   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
2.92GB is the total amount of RAM available for the OS. THe remaining amount of RAM could be shared between you on-board graphics adapter and for other I/O activities.

You can reduce the amt of RAM used by the graphics card in the BIOS.

Cheers,
Rajesh
hmm.. then how come Vista reported something different on the same hardware? here's the graphics properties:
Name:  8440p_display_properties.png
Views: 506
Size:  43.7 KB
Old 18th March 2011, 13:53   #1852
BHPian

Vista and Win7 treat the drivers differently

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
hmm.. then how come Vista reported something different on the same hardware? here's the graphics properties:
Attachment 519488
Old 18th March 2011, 14:12   #1853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
My mistake, I was talking desktops only. Thanks for the correction, it is time I get back to building a desktop again.

I wouldn't say fifteen years but it seems that since the last couple of years most boards have 4 or more slots.
Well, now you come to mention it [Blush]...

The last four PCs of mine certainly have had 4 slots, configured in two pairs. For thirteen years up to 2003, I was doing systems management, which unfortunately, included stuff inside PCs --- and I now find a mental blank on how many slots the earlier ones had, so I am not taking any oaths!

Also, I do not know about the micro- etc motherboards that have been introduced of late.

New Addition to my Computer Configuration:

Noctua NH-C14 Heat Sink with two 140mm fans. I ordered it from USA, and subsequently it transpires that I have to spend a few days in Singapore, which means, not only could I have saved the shipping, but it will have to sit on the shelf until I get back.

It is just amazingly huge. The pictures really do not give an idea. I'm quite daunted by the thought of hanging this thing off my motherboard. My PC is hardly noisy, but I am looking forward to getting rid of the 4000rpm wine of the stock AMD cooler fan. I'm planning to change my stock Antec case cooling fans to Noctua too (will buy in Singapore). The existing fans will not go to waste: I'll use them at low speed to blow on the hard disks.

Another New Addition to my Computer Configuration:

Wheels

Yep... you read it right: wheels!

This one I have had in mind for a while, and have actually implemented now. As I was in the engineering-shop district of Parry's this week, I bought four castors, screwed them onto a piece of wood, which is now my PC trolley. Instead of being a real paint to get in and out of a tight under-desk corner, it is now easy.

I did the same for my heavy steel toolbox too.

As I was able to find right-size scraps of wood, from my collection, making the two trolleys took less than half an hour.
Old 18th March 2011, 14:30   #1854
BHPian

@netfreak devarshi mav, aroy thanks for the adice reagrding the following regarding im running a P4 with an 845 mobo im looking for passive cooling option on the chip, and if thats not possible something with the most quiet fan please advice on whats availble passive cooling sink or sink with really quiet fan i forgot to mention some important details 1. I use this PC ONLY as a MUSIC PC to play music off Foobar thorugh a Pro Soundcard (ESI Juli) that it attatched to a Buffalo DAC Since i use it for music i would like it to be really quiet during my late evening listening sessions Hence i wanted to run it passive However if this is difficult to achive , please advice ( link would be useful) about a new heatsink and CPU fan cooler than would be the quietest BIOS offers no underclocking , voltage selection etc ( do unerstand the 845 P4 is quite OLD) but is more than capable of just playing music ( i especailly did not want higher CPUs for this purpose) regards

Last edited by Magma : 18th March 2011 at 14:32.
Old 18th March 2011, 15:49   #1855
Senior - BHPian

It was the old BIOS that offered underclocking/Overclocking options. Check if the BIOS lets you kick on the fan in advance.

Try to find clockgen and see if it works for you. If you undervolt too low, the PC maynot start, just reset the CMOS.

Study these links and see if they are any help.

EXTREME Overclocking Forums - Learn To Overclock Your PC Hardware
Water Cooling Basics Guide - EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Undervoltable Motherboards | silentpcreview.com
CPU Undervolting & Underclocking: A Primer | silentpcreview.com
SPCR • View topic - Athlon 64 power reduction: C'n'Q, Vcore, mobile, tools

Ask your pc vendor for liquid cooling. I don't know how much it costs though. Go for DIY if you are the adventurous types.
Old 18th March 2011, 17:05   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
@netfreak devarshi mav, aroy thanks for the adice reagrding the following regarding im running a P4 with an 845 mobo im looking for passive cooling option on the chip, and if thats not possible something with the most quiet fan please advice on whats availble passive cooling sink or sink with really quiet fan i forgot to mention some important details 1. I use this PC ONLY as a MUSIC PC to play music off Foobar thorugh a Pro Soundcard (ESI Juli) that it attatched to a Buffalo DAC Since i use it for music i would like it to be really quiet during my late evening listening sessions Hence i wanted to run it passive However if this is difficult to achive , please advice ( link would be useful) about a new heatsink and CPU fan cooler than would be the quietest BIOS offers no underclocking , voltage selection etc ( do unerstand the 845 P4 is quite OLD) but is more than capable of just playing music ( i especailly did not want higher CPUs for this purpose) regards
Here is link to the 845 motherboard http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1532...chProdSpec.pdf
There is a fan control available in the BIOS.
As stated previously, blow all the dust out and clean the inside thoroughly. If the CPU still overheats, use thermal paste (available where they sell the CPU) between the CPU and the Heat sink. The heat sink is designed to run cool with minimal noise at 25 degrees. More than that it will start heating up resulting in higher fan speed. Your best option is to use an AC to cool the room.

The other options are quite esoteric (liquid cooling etc) and may not come cheap.
Old 18th March 2011, 17:33   #1857
Senior - BHPian

@Magma,

Since this PC just plays the Music, there might be an alternative. Now, you can buy excellent media players for 2 - 6k. These players would play songs stored on HDD.

You can connect output of these to your DAC via Optical or HDMI.

This way you would reduce power consumption and get a fanless device.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:07   #1858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Vista and Win7 treat the drivers differently
so who's telling the truth?
Old 18th March 2011, 22:32   #1859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Yes, 2600K is for overclocking. Do you want to go for the mATX (smaller) form factor or the standard ATX form factor ?

And what I can tell you is that you should go for H67 chipset. P67 is required when you have to overclock, but you cannot use integrated graphics with P67. Although you're using a discrete graphics card,if anything happens to it and you have to work without discrete graphics, you can always depend on the integrated graphics.

Why don't you ask vendors which H67 chipsets are available with them ? You can contact SMC International or Ferrari in the forum link I posted above, they usually get the latest products earlier than anybody. The only motherboard that I know, and is available in the country, is this : MSI Global ? Mainboard - H67MA-E35 (B3) (costs Rs. 6200). It's ATX form factor, so unless mATX is a necessity, you can go for it. According to SMC, more motherboards will be available by March 20.
So basically my father was telling me to get the best (relatively) so that we can keep it for 3-4 years peacefully. He wants me to hold off for 2-3 weeks. Thats fine since I can do my research till then.

Basically my computer guy is offering me the i7 2600 and the intel DH67BL mobo with it. Specs seem good for both. This is for 23k. How does it seem?

The mobo seems to have hdmi out and all, so will I need my 1gb graphics card too?
Old 18th March 2011, 23:03   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
So basically my father was telling me to get the best (relatively) so that we can keep it for 3-4 years peacefully. He wants me to hold off for 2-3 weeks. Thats fine since I can do my research till then.

Basically my computer guy is offering me the i7 2600 and the intel DH67BL mobo with it. Specs seem good for both. This is for 23k. How does it seem?

The mobo seems to have hdmi out and all, so will I need my 1gb graphics card too?
1. You can get that combo for 21.5k (including shipping) here.

CPU | Mobo | Ram : Sandy Bridge MoBos (B3 Stepping) and CPUs

2. Normally, you should have retained the graphics card, as usually discrete graphics are better than integrated graphics, but this is not so in Sandy Bridge's case. The integrated graphics that come with i7 2600 are better than the 4350. So it'll actually be beneficial for you to not use the graphics card.

3. While the Intel motherboard is alright, if you wait, there's a good chance you'll find boards that offer more features at that price point. Intel's not known for being a VFM motherboard manufacturer. However, if you don't want to wait, or if you think that the extra features will be worthless for you (which is very much possible as you don't intend to overclock etc), by all means, go for it.

Most Viewed