Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2011, 11:16   #1816
Senior - BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Thanks aroy,

I think the warranty should be valid in India. But I am not sure.

The OS is windows 64 bit home premium and it will be the only OS. No second OS.

If i upgrade to 8 gb ram, the additional cost is $200 so it exceeds my budget.

So if the ram can be upgraded later, i will get it upgraded later when the prices drop.

I think i shouldd stick to basic hard disk with 1 gb hard disk and 6gb ram with or without backlit
Check the number of RAM slots in the motherboard. If it is 3 then you will be getting 3 x 2GB. In case you upgrade the 2GB RAM will be redundant. It is better to have the same size RAM, so if possible try and get 1 x 4GB and add another 1 x 4GB later even if it means slightly more outlay initially.
Old 20th February 2011, 14:21   #1817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I am having heating problems with my AMD Phenom II X4 925 and was suggest by quite a few people to ditch AMD and get Intell. I went to the market and found the i3 540 and i5 650 in my budget, saw their specs and they seem very much the same. The only difference is in the GHz, i3 being 3.1 and i5 being 3.2 but having a Turbo GHz of 3.5. Costs, the i3 costs like 5.5k and the i5 9.5k. What my question is, in the 4k difference really worth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
1. Are you sure that the Phenom II is beyond salvage ? Nothing's wrong with AMD, and people who say otherwise are just ignorant. It will probably just take a reapplication of thermal paste to set it right. Or whatever, unless there's something seriously wrong, I believe the problem can be solved. Save your bucks.
I believe the same. AMD is generally reckoned to run cooler than Intel anyhow.

Seems to me that you must have a fault, if your chip is overheating, and, as anku says, you should begin with the simple and cheap solutions like checking out the heatsink and fan --- otherwise, it is a little like replacing a car rather than diagnosing a leaky radiator!
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:56   #1818
Senior - BHPian

I've a Socket 939 AMD 4000+ running in a laptop and it only once shut off when the fans didnt work to cool it.

AMD is hugely underrated against intel counterparts.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:11   #1819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Wait till April-May, and get the Sandy Bridge CPU (i5 or i7) and a MSI/Gigabyte midrange MB.
AMD's Llano seem to have a better performance than SandyBridge Llano is expected to be in April-May. SandyBridge might delayed due to a bug found in the mainboard.
Old 7th March 2011, 22:55   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
AMD\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Llano seem to have a better performance than SandyBridge YouTube - AMD Fusion APU Llano in a Multi-Tasking Technology DemonstrationLlano is expected to be in April-May. SandyBridge might delayed due to a bug found in the mainboard.
That was interesting, wasn't it ? AMD never fails to surprise you, especially from a value point. However, there are a few caveats. 1. The test was conducted by AMD, so might have been optimized for AMD's architecture. 2. Test focus was on graphics, primarily. Doesn't necessarily mean the processing power of Llano is better than Sandy Bridge, as the onboard GPU would be useless if you intend to use a high-end discrete GPU. 3. They are launching it way too late. The release is more like in June-July from what I've heard. And the Sandy Bridge bug is rectified. Intel's already shipping the B3 stepping of Cougar Point chipsets to the manufacturers, shouldn't be long till new motherboards make it to the markets. I'd say we'll get new motherboards in India by the end of March. But if AMD seriously did a good job in this generation, it could be worth the wait. Bulldozer, c'mon !!

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th March 2011 at 01:30. Reason: Removed Extra '\'s from the post on request. Thanks
Old 7th March 2011, 23:53   #1821
BHPian

NOW heres a question about extinct my extinct PC

im running a P4 with an 845 mobo
im looking for passive cooling option on the chip, and if thats not possible something with the most quiet fan

please advice on whats availble
passive cooling sink or sink with really quiet fan
Old 8th March 2011, 00:40   #1822
Senior - BHPian

What is the core temperature of CPU and what is the ambient temperature?
Old 8th March 2011, 11:55   #1823
BHPian

A P4 runs pretty hot and to try and run it passive would not really work. But if you do figure out something, please do share.

On the Llano front, yes, it has less processing power than its Intel counterpart, but remember that AMD has a great GPU division and thats whats paying the dividends now.
Old 8th March 2011, 18:01   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, check if the BIOS lets you change CPU clocks, FSB and voltage. You might need a BIOS update which should only be done by an expert. If it is a branded piece (extinct?) the BIOS will be provided by the company and should be easier. BIOS updates might help improve fan speeds thus keeping the cpu cool.

Secondly, You can open P4 sink and clean up the clogs in the copper sink. Reapplying thermal paste will help.

A hardcore process would be underclocking the cpu. I won't mention the details here as I do not want to be the culprit who destroyed your pc. Please google.

PS: You can Undervolt a cpu and then overclock it to run better.

Windows 7 also has power management functions wherein you can limit CPU clocks upto some extent.
Old 9th March 2011, 09:00   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post

im looking for passive cooling option on the chip, and if thats not possible something with the most quiet fan

Open up the box, and you will most probably find it clogged with dust. Blow all the dust away, and clean stubborn ones off the fins. That should cool your chip.

If the heat sink is firmly attached to the chip, then the heat sink paste would be effective, else get a tube of the paste and reapply it.

If you want more cooling you can try and get a CPU fan and fix it over the heat sink.
Old 11th March 2011, 11:39   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post

As Aroy has suggested, it'd be good if you could first open up your cabinet and then remove all the dust away. You could buy an USB vacuum cleaner for cleaning as well. Then check whether the heat sink is attached properly. Some thermal paste would also be helpful (you can google for articles on how to apply thermal paste.) If nothing works, get a CPU cooler or move to a cabinet with better airflow.

Cheers,
Kaushik
Old 14th March 2011, 17:05   #1827
Team-BHP Support

Guys quick question, anku and all those guys who helped me earlier. My comp crashed, so incase it dosen't get fixed I might need to pick up a new one now, otherwise I can wait 2 months max.

I will carry over my ATI 1gb graphics card. (4350 or something like that)
And my 500gb HDD will be carried over too.

What im being offered is -
Intel i7 870 - 17k
Intel DH 55TC - 5k
Kingston 4GB ram - 3k

Will also add another 500gb HDD and maybe more ram (what say?).

So what do you all think? Should I change anything in the set-up. My comp guy says 6 months before that Sandybridge thing you all were talking about earlier is stable.

I dont use my comp heavily, but its on a lot. Im thinking about a mini cabinet.
Old 14th March 2011, 20:46   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Guys quick question, anku and all those guys who helped me earlier. My comp crashed, so incase it dosen't get fixed I might need to pick up a new one now, otherwise I can wait 2 months max.

I dont use my comp heavily, but its on a lot. Im thinking about a mini cabinet.
Hi. Could you give me more details on a) your budget, and b) what you're gonna be using your computer for and c)If games, what kind of games, and what monitor size/resolution ?

Saying that it'd take 6 months for Sandy Bridge to 'stabilize' is absurd, especially since nothing's wrong with the processors themselves. It's been a while since Intel's been shipping the rectified chipset chips to motherboard manufacturers, and there's a good chance some motherboards are already out. In 15 days, I'd say, you'll easily get new motherboards, and there will be plenty of choice in one month.

I find some flaws with the configuration recommended to you, the 870 is most probably more powerful than what you need (I'll be in a better position to comment once you tell me your usage), no one buys Intel motherboards, and I fear your graphics card is too weak, especially since I can recall something about you intending to hook up a large monitor with the rig.
Old 14th March 2011, 21:51   #1829
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Hi. Could you give me more details on a) your budget, and b) what you're gonna be using your computer for and c)If games, what kind of games, and what monitor size/resolution ?

Saying that it'd take 6 months for Sandy Bridge to 'stabilize' is absurd, especially since nothing's wrong with the processors themselves. It's been a while since Intel's been shipping the rectified chipset chips to motherboard manufacturers, and there's a good chance some motherboards are already out. In 15 days, I'd say, you'll easily get new motherboards, and there will be plenty of choice in one month.

I find some flaws with the configuration recommended to you, the 870 is most probably more powerful than what you need (I'll be in a better position to comment once you tell me your usage), no one buys Intel motherboards, and I fear your graphics card is too weak, especially since I can recall something about you intending to hook up a large monitor with the rig.
Budget im guessing would be 25-30k tops. I use it mainly for browsing, downloading and listening to music. With some photoshop here and there. No gaming.

The top of the line i5 is hardly 3k less. Dosent it make sense just getting the better one?

What mobo should I get?

Also do keep in mind im going to keep it for 3-4 years, hence I want to pick up relatively powerful stuff now even though my usage does not warrant it.

The graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 4350, im going to hook my comp up to a 40-50" tv once in a while and to a 5.1. What makes you say this wont suffice?

Thanks. Anyone else with any help?
Old 14th March 2011, 22:04   #1830
Senior - BHPian

How about an AMD solution? They are usually cheaper.

I would suggest you go for Phenom processors. Get 8gb memory.

I am not sure if AMD and ATI drivers are written to compliment each other for better peroformance but it is a possibility since they are one company now.

Otherwise stick to i7. I would still vote for more RAM. You do not need it right away but it will futureproof your pc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks