Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 14:41   #841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
I am contemplating on getting a PS3 slim 250GB. I have a question, as I am completely new to consoles (This will be my first console). Do the PS3 slim consoles come bundled with games? Or do we have to buy them separately?
Welcome . When I got my PS3 it had a God of War 3 edition free with it. It was pre sealed in the PS3 box and mentioned GOW3 edition on the PS3 box as well.
There was also an offer by the store to buy another title and get 50% off on it so I got a COlin Mc Ray 2 as well.

Do check for such deals, they are usually mentioned on the PS3 Box. If not, check with the store if they have any deal going on. If they dont, you will have to buy the console only and buy games separately.
Old 8th September 2010, 09:44   #842
BHPian

ok my PS3 (80GB from US) has stopped playing all discs (bluray, dvd, games). The drive spins and all, but the disc just does not show up in the menu. I am out of warranty (3 years old and bought from US) and have sold my 40gb ps3 (from india) to an office colleague. So I have no option but to approach sony support.

Anyone knows how the process works. My xbox was out of warranty and I just called the MS helpline and they sent a replacement for free, twice!
I went to the sony center in indra nagar and the guard there gave me the addy of sony service center in indra nagar. The guard knew the process and said if its PS3 and out of warranty, it can't be fixed, they charge 50% of the mrp and give you a new replacement. Now I am thinking if its even worth it as I have a bluray laptop now as part of HT setup! If anyone has gone through the process, it would be nice to know your experience.
Old 8th September 2010, 13:26   #843
BHPian

^^ ok pointer for those buying PS3 in US - i spoke to sony support and they have a replacement policy for out of warranty PS3s. However if you bought the PS3 in from any NTSC region (US, etc), they cannot replace as the PS3s in India are PAL.

I argued with the guy on all Sony TVs being multi-system and so a PS3 just works irrespective of system, but they said they can't exchange and I need to goto an NTSC country for paid replacement (they don't repair PS3s just replace). So this is a bummer for anyone buying an NTSC PS3 in a PAL country, even in this date of multi-system TVs!

If anyone knows of an independent repair place in bangy who can fix this thing - please let me know. I am guessing its some cleaning or something which is needed to get the drive working again or at the most a laser mis-alignment or dust.

Last edited by jassi : 8th September 2010 at 13:29.
Old 8th September 2010, 13:47   #844
Senior - BHPian

Another thing to worry about the PS3 is the "Yellow Light Of Death". It's like a limp mode that the console goes into, in order to avoid further damage.

Overheating is said to be the main culprit. So please keep your PS3s in an AC room or atleast get one of those PS3 add on cooling systems.

My PS3 has this prob now and will have to be sent to Sony for repairs.

This is what it looks like :

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 8th September 2010 at 13:49.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:27   #845
Senior - BHPian

As a slight offtopic ... what about the reliability of Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs PS2?
Old 8th September 2010, 15:17   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ ok pointer for those buying PS3 in US - i spoke to sony support and they have a replacement policy for out of warranty PS3s. However if you bought the PS3 in from any NTSC region (US, etc), they cannot replace as the PS3s in India are PAL.

I argued with the guy on all Sony TVs being multi-system and so a PS3 just works irrespective of system, but they said they can't exchange and I need to goto an NTSC country for paid replacement (they don't repair PS3s just replace). So this is a bummer for anyone buying an NTSC PS3 in a PAL country, even in this date of multi-system TVs!

If anyone knows of an independent repair place in bangy who can fix this thing - please let me know. I am guessing its some cleaning or something which is needed to get the drive working again or at the most a laser mis-alignment or dust.
My 80gb Ps3 which I got from US crashed in may..I called up Sony India and they told me the same thing that they don't support US Ps3's...so I had to send my Ps3 back to US(thankfully my aunt was in Delhi those days)..now my ps3 has been replaced with a 120gb slim model but is still in the states.
Old 8th September 2010, 15:19   #847
BHPian

Quote:

My 80gb Ps3 which I got from US crashed in may..I called up Sony India and they told me the same thing that they don't support US Ps3's...so I had to send my Ps3 back to US via my aunt who stays in LA(thankfully my aunt was in Delhi those days)..now my ps3 has been replaced with a 120gb slim model but is still in the states.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:00   #848
BHPian

Finally took the plunge.

Bought myself a 250GB PS3 slim God of War 3 bundle yesterday.
Price: 22K

Also bought Top Spin 3 along with it. Price: 1299/-

Simply loving the console so far.
Updated to 3.42 firmware today using USB drive.

Still to experience the multimedia play feature of this beauty.

Just love to see the way this beauty has brought life to my LG 32" LCD

Anyone up for a online game session of Top Spin 3?
Old 9th September 2010, 10:03   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
My 80gb Ps3 which I got from US crashed in may..I called up Sony India and they told me the same thing that they don't support US Ps3's...so I had to send my Ps3 back to US(thankfully my aunt was in Delhi those days)..now my ps3 has been replaced with a 120gb slim model but is still in the states.
I could send my PS3 to Sony US - i keep traveling once in a while. Whats the procedure, do I call up Sony US and open a case with them and then ship it to them? What all did you ship, console or power cable, et al? Do I need to trace my bill and warranty (i think got it from frys/bestbuy) or that is not needed?

Thanks for insights
Old 9th September 2010, 12:37   #850
BHPian

Quote:
I could send my PS3 to Sony US - i keep traveling once in a while. Whats the procedure, do I call up Sony US and open a case with them and then ship it to them? What all did you ship, console or power cable, et al? Do I need to trace my bill and warranty (i think got it from frys/bestbuy) or that is not needed?

Thanks for insights
I got mine from bestbuy as well and they only replaced it...since my Ps3 was under warranty..therefore they said either i could get a replaced 120gb model or i could take my money back

I didn't ship my console...my aunt was leaving for US in a week's time so i just gave her the console along with all the stuff it came with.
Old 20th September 2010, 19:21   #851
BHPian

Has anybody tried out the ps3 jailbreak...its now available in grey markets for 5k...friend got his ps3 jailbreaked yesterday...will go at his place in a day or two to check it out

Although im gonna wait for some time to get mine jailbreaked since its a bit expensive now
Old 20th September 2010, 20:11   #852
BHPian

^^ what do you mean jailbreak a PS3? PS3 games are already region free - whats the point? Are you saying there are pirated games available for cheap prices, for which you need to jailbreak? How would you apply regular ps3 updates which are needed for almost every new game which comes out?
Old 20th September 2010, 21:47   #853
BHPian

jailbreak is a usb hack which allows you to copy the games on your hard disk...so just rent out the game...copy it on your hard disk and play whenever you wish to without inserting the disc...there are no pirated games for the ps3..plus this jailbreak wont void your warranty since it doesnt messes up with the hardware(dont know how true is that)
Old 21st September 2010, 12:12   #854
BHPian

Planning to pick up the PS3 250 GB GOW edition immediately. Could anyone please recommend stores in Bangalore where this bundle is available for an attractive price? I Checked out most stores the stock is out and they say it will be replaced by a 320GB Move edition.

Also any particular brand of HDMI cable i need to pick up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitw79 View Post
Updated to 3.42 firmware today using USB drive.
Could you please let me know how i can download the update and transfer from USB to PS3? Step by step procedure or any links to the same would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by redrage : 21st September 2010 at 12:14.
Old 21st September 2010, 14:34   #855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please let me know how i can download the update and transfer from USB to PS3? Step by step procedure or any links to the same would be appreciated.
I always do it from here. You will find the procedure on the same page.

PS3? PC Update | System Updates | Support - PlayStation.com

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks