Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Newegg, now in India

I was browsing through the anandtech review on Intel Haswell E. At the last price, they had linked to prices. I clicked on US link (which was for newegg) and landed at Newegg India. The site has prices listed in rupees and from what I could gather for some products, prices seem to be quite competitive.

As an example,

http://www.newegg.com/global/in/Prod...-326-_-Product

On further view however and filling out the cart, it seems that items are shipped from US and so shipping and customs duty applies in most cases.

Last edited by vasudeva : 2nd September 2014 at 12:02.
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Newegg, now in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I clicked on US link (which was for newegg) and landed at Newegg India.
Thank you for sharing this - its good to have another option alongside Amazon.com's global shipping (which also operates similarly - at checkout, the shipping and customs are calculated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
So far, strictly an option for products that are not available in India. For computer and electronic products, amazon india has far more products than flipkart.
Agreed. But there are the non-mainstream products which are only available in the US/far east that you can pick up via channels like Newegg/Amazon.com. For mainstream stuff, look to theitdepot.com, Flipkart and Amazon.in first, for Indian prices.

As an example, when I last checked, the latest version of Sandisk and Samsung SSDs (Extreme Pro and 850 Pro) are not available via the Indian sites.

Last edited by arunphilip : 2nd September 2014 at 14:13.
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

So far, strictly an option for products that are not available in India. For computer and electronic products, amazon india has far more products than flipkart.
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:43   #4

Ya its been a month or so for newegg in india but the website has very limited features compared to the likes of flipkart and snapdeal

Also the prices are relatively high for many of the products
(I heard that the price mentioned in the website is without adding TAX)
Old 4th September 2014, 14:44   #5
Team-BHP Support

Had come across this quick comparo of prices : SOURCE

Newegg, now in India-screenshot-20140904144259.png

cya
R
Old 4th September 2014, 19:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

In the above chart is the price of newegg items the landed cost of the product after courier and duty or just ex-USA?

I can't see how any computer part purchased from the USA + international courier + duty/ octroi can be cheaper than the same part officially available in India. For computer products the pricing in India is quite good because of low duties and taxes. Newegg global shipping would only be handy for something just not available in India!

Btw how many people actually still build computers? Just the gaming guys and htpc enthusiasts I guess!
Old 5th September 2014, 11:05   #7
BHPian

Well, for one, i am a pc enthusiast who has been building rigs since 10th grade(at the time intel had its pentium range) i have been through 5 complete builds and the latest build by far was the most expensive for me. newegg.com seems to be good for parts which arent available here. for example: The asus ROG connect overclocking dock that works with ROG motherboards and the front panel control that they have available.
Old 5th September 2014, 11:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: Newegg, now in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
In the above chart is the price of newegg items the landed cost of the product after courier and duty or just ex-USA?
Good question. Honestly i didn't read the article in detail, because some cut-down version of newegg isn't newegg IMO.

After seeing your question, i went back to Newegg.com to check prices:

Firstly, a lot of the prices of products listed in that chart have been dropped by ~20% or so.

Secondly, you're right, shipping & taxes does make it MORE expensive! That chart was no good.
Newegg, now in India-screenshot-20140905114750.png

The main thing i use newegg for is REVIEWS. Simply to see what the BEST RATED components are, decided by intelligent democracy, and not some "editor's choice".

Now, with Newegg India, I'm a little scared. How long before we see the typical Indian signature of "TOO GOOD PRODUCT. I LOVES IT!!" mentioned for a 1-star review ?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th September 2014 at 12:00.
Old 5th September 2014, 12:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just like B&H for photography, I would use Newegg for products not available in India.
Old 5th September 2014, 12:18   #10
BHPian

I assume that if you do end up with a product which is DoA(dead on arrival), you'll have to ship the product back at your cost. This makes it quite an expensive propostion.

OT: Majority of the comments on product reviews are troll comments. I read a review for a milk carton where a lad says this milk is divine or something to that tune. No wonder, but i now know where all that calcium went...

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 5th September 2014 at 12:23.
Old 2nd May 2015, 11:41   #11
BHPian

The way I see it, this is a great way to buy something that's not available easily in India - like 4k monitors. Of course it is going to be a bit more expensive than buying the item from a local seller, (if it is available at all) because they are shipping a single item as opposed to a bulk order. But if you really want a specific high end component, this is a good bet.
Old 27th May 2015, 16:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
The way I see it, this is a great way to buy something that's not available easily in India - like 4k monitors. Of course it is going to be a bit more expensive than buying the item from a local seller, (if it is available at all) because they are shipping a single item as opposed to a bulk order. But if you really want a specific high end component, this is a good bet.
Sorry for being late to respond to this, but I would be wary of buying computer monitors out of India. Many manufacturers especially Dell do not honour warranty for items purchased out of India or it is too much of a hassle.

In Jan 2015, i wanted to purchase Dell U2715h but it was not available in India. Amazon. com had it and could ship to India, but a call to Dell dissuaded me (they would not honour warranty).

So far, regarding newegg, I find amazon.com to be much better and cheaper and in fact have received some items from them but only:
1. hard disk
2. mouse/keyboard
3. Rosewill esata enclosure.

One really has to make a judgment as to whether placing an order on US amazon/newegg is worth the risk. For some items, the risk is low or acceptable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks