Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 39 33.05%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.85%
DSLReports 1 0.85%
Speedtest by Ookla 66 55.93%
Testmy.net 1 0.85%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.54%
Others 3 2.54%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.39%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2020, 16:23   #991
BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I have opted for a Railwire optical fiber 100mbps 1TB connection @ Rs. 1500 pm
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:01   #992
Senior - BHPian

I have local service provider. Changed to a 100 mbps plan last week. I had a different plan earlier and somehow 300 gb was not enough so opted for a 800 gb now
Attached Thumbnails
How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-20200302_065739.jpg  

Last edited by bigron : 2nd March 2020 at 07:19.
Old 29th April 2020, 18:21   #993
BHPian

Using Railwire FUP 40Mbps_300GB for 950/- per month.

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-4.png
Old 29th April 2020, 20:21   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Using Airtel 200 MBps_3.3 TB (Called unlimited plan) @1550 per month(Including taxes) in bangalore.
Old 21st May 2020, 23:20   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatoraval View Post
Using Railwire FUP 40Mbps_300GB for 950/- per month.

Attachment 2000201
Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
I have opted for a Railwire optical fiber 100mbps 1TB connection @ Rs. 1500 pm
I have Railwire Unlimited(No FUP) 100Megs up and down for 1000+Tax in Bangalore
akash.1318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 14:37   #996
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Recently got the 100mbps connection through my local cable operator with ISP being S Net. Speeds fluctuate a bit. Below is the best so far.

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-speedtest.jpg
Old 30th November 2020, 14:48   #997
Senior - BHPian

I am on Rs 499 unlimited plan from Airtel Broadband. The promised speed is 16 Mbps but most of the time I am getting 40 mbps or higher.
Old 15th December 2020, 16:37   #998
BHPian

Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?

Over the years, broadband speeds have improved while tariffs have reduced and data caps have disappeared (possibly due to the entry of a new pan-India ISP with deep pockets). That said, internet speed is not everything. In order to do a successful Zoom or Google Meet video conference, you don't need a 100 Mbps connection. Rather, I'd take a low-ping 5 Mbps connection with symmetrical upload/download speeds for work-related VoIP and video calls. During the lockdown, when many among us were (and still are) working from home, the importance of a quality internet connection was raised on a daily basis. Latency and bufferbloat, terms hitherto unheard of by many using broadband internet every day, have become important metrics to predict how good your Zoom call is going to be.

This got me to read up on internet connectivity and quality metrics. One thing led to another and soon enough, I was testing checking out different websites offering speed tests. The popular Ookla Speedtest wasn't offering the additional information I needed to critically evaluate my internet connection. I must have stumbled across at least 8 different speed test websites over the past few months. Nowadays, every week I run a couple of speed tests to know whether my internet connection is doing fine and is capable of handling everything I was gonna throw at it. No longer do I run a speed test only when a youtube video buffers or when my FaceTime video is paused due to "poor connection". I have become interested in internet connectivity as an essential service which we pay for, and deserve as much as we are promised, all day and every day.

I am curious to know your take on internet speed tests, and whether it is something you do regularly. I am also eager to know about your favourite internet speed test, and why.

My personal favourite is Netflix's Fast.com, which offers a simple and clutter-free UI. But the main reason I use this instead of other speed tests is because it offers more information regarding upload speeds, including loaded and unloaded latency for upload speeds (which I haven't seen offered elsewhere). Don't ask me what I do with all that information - I'm still figuring out My second choice is dslreports.com, which is apparently highly recommended by some popular tech enthusiasts, followed by Cloudflare's speed test. Testmy.net and openspeedtest are also used, and lastly speedtest by Ookla. Since I use Netgear Orbi, I also use the built-in speedtest (provided by Ookla) that tests the speeds received by the Orbi (which, in theory, is the most accurate speed test of your connection).

Hoping to see your responses to the poll.
gk1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 23:18   #999
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk1234 View Post
Rather, I'd take a low-ping 5 Mbps connection with symmetrical upload/download speeds for work-related VoIP and video calls.
Actually, you are mixing the terminologies. Speed is actually the ping value, the upload/download numbers are throughput.

I explained it in detail in 2015.
Old 16th December 2020, 08:53   #1000
BHPian

Re: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually, you are mixing the terminologies. Speed is actually the ping value, the upload/download numbers are throughput.

I explained it in detail in 2015.
Actually I am aware of these concepts. I meant to say that for your standard work-related Zoom/Teams/Meet calls, you don't have to buy a 100 Mbps connection. Even if you have a symmetrical 5 Mbps, low-ping connection, its more than enough for video conference. I have an 8 Mbps download/4 Mbps upload connection in my office and it can perfectly handle Zoom calls. What helps me is that ping is below 30ms, and this is what we should be looking at. More throughput does not necessarily mean better internet quality; lower ping is also essential.

Perhaps I should have structured it better, instead of using "speeds" loosely. Thanks for directing at the previous post, though. It clearly explains the concepts.

Do participate in the poll, if you haven't yet.
gk1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 23:58   #1001
BHPian

Guys Fast.com by Netflix and Ookla Speedtest have peering with several Internet Service Providers (ISP) so they show increased speeds (read peered speeds) instead of actual speeds.
MadAxe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:13   #1002
BHPian

Here is my connection speed measured via speed.cloudflare.com

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-01.jpg

I pay Rs. 999/- per month for this True Unlimited (no FUP) 100 mbps fiber to home connection from my local cable at Kolkata !!

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 00:51   #1003
BHPian

Mods: Kindly Merge the posts.

Update :-

Our local wala based Fiber to Home connection is giving unrestricted speed at night hours.

Just tested the speed via my Living Room TV running on 5GHz via my bed room router (a good 25/30 feet & two walls away).

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-img_20210105_003845.jpg

Speed is just mind blowing, never thought I would enjoy this type of speed at home
Old 5th January 2021, 05:56   #1004
Team-BHP Support

Folks I hope you also do take care of home network. Like Mr Holmes said, chain is weakest at the weakest link. You may get the best speed on the fat pipe coming into home. 300 MBps are very common. But what is its use if your home wifi is incapable of supporting it?

So my suggestion would be to de-couple the modem with the Wifi. We usually stick to the combo modem/wifi solution provided by the ISP or something which we tend to buy. Instead plan your own Wifi home networking solution and if need be, decouple it from the modem. That helps you go with Wifi-6 and/or newer Mesh solutions. Given drain on internet has gone through the roof with every one at home dependent on it, it critical we sort out every link of the chain including the last mile.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 20:41   #1005
BHPian

I use Ethernet Express here in Goa. One the top ISP here for a long time.

Switched from the disastrous BSNL Copper line in Nov 2020; and so far happy with the switch.

Current plan: 150 mbps upto 1.8 TB (up / down) for 6 months, post that FUP = 10 mbps (unlimited).

Plan charges: 5900/- for 6 months.

The difference between the test results of OOKLA & CLOUDFARE for 'upload' speeds are huge.

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-s.png

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-s2.png

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 5th January 2021 at 20:48.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed