Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 39 33.05%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.85%
DSLReports 1 0.85%
Speedtest by Ookla 66 55.93%
Testmy.net 1 0.85%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.54%
Others 3 2.54%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.39%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 23:19   #556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
We recently received Airtel Fibernet. Plan Rs 1099 for 16Mpbs for 60GB FUP. Receiving constant 15.5Mpbs upload and download speeds.

That's amazing!!! I am on 2mbps with airtel, sucks big time. Paying 999 for 40Gb FUP.
Old 1st April 2015, 00:48   #557
BHPian

The only reliable ISP in my area in Pune is Bsnl. And they are bloody cons. Charging me 800 + taxes ( almost 900) for 1mbps upto 6GB and 512Kbps after that. Absolutely terrible .
Old 1st April 2015, 09:49   #558
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
We recently received Airtel Fibernet. Plan Rs 1099 for 16Mpbs for 60GB FUP. Receiving constant 15.5Mpbs upload and download speeds.
Could you let me know if there is a link or name to this plan? It doesn't reflect in their site and I will be more than happy to change this plan as it cuts my cost to half while getting 4 times better speed.
Old 1st April 2015, 11:23   #559
BHPian

Guys, I reside in Banashankari 3rd Stage, Bangalore. Subscribed to Airtel 2 mbps 80 GB plan (since 5-6 months) and my monthly bill comes to around Rs. 1600.

I'm looking to shift to a different provider now, as ones like ACT and Hathway offer a lot more speed/bandwidth at cheaper costs.
My query being, are ACT and Hathway reliable? I've heard a lot of complaints about them, most of them being about not delivering the promised speed. Please advise!
Old 1st April 2015, 11:33   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
My query being, are ACT and Hathway reliable?
I use Hathway. Have been using them for a few months now.

There are 2 concerns most people have with a new ISP:

1) Speed: I always, always get 54Mbps with ~10ms ping times. On torrents, my speeds max out at around 6.5MBps.

2) After Sales Service: They have always been prompt to resolve issues. I just need to call 080-40161616 and they usually have a technician land at my doorstep within 24 hours. I have only had to call them once up until now, and that issue was resolved by the next day.

The only issue I had with Hathway in the beginning was that you would need to login to their systems every 4 hours to get the internet to work. But then, I had read online that asking them for a Static IP will resolve this issue, and it has. This static IP was available to me at no extra charge.

Do note that they only accept quarterly year payments. Also, a small tip, try getting the connection in the middle of the month. Why?

Say you need to renew your subscription on the 15th of April, the usage counter resets itself after the 1st and before 15th. So you basically have the whole month's quota to use before the 15th and again after the 15th and before the 31st!
Old 1st April 2015, 12:35   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Could you let me know if there is a link or name to this plan? It doesn't reflect in their site and I will be more than happy to change this plan as it cuts my cost to half while getting 4 times better speed.
Dude, stay away from Failtel. Unless you've already got it. In which case, disconnect it ASAP

All jokes aside, it has been 4 months since I've been on ACT. And the experience is just like the plan I've selected: Incredible!

60Mbps, day or night, pings less than 2-3 ms, uploads are NOT counted, constant 5-6 MBps while downloading stuff the wrong way, what else can I say!

Even if Failtel is providing FTTH at your location, just let it go. I searched for the plans you are looking for, you can find them at this link
Old 1st April 2015, 12:47   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Dude, stay away from Failtel. Unless you've already got it. In which case, disconnect it ASAP
Already on Airtel and looking to change but want a reliable provider. Not that I work from home or anything, just hate to be disconnected from the web.

Quote:
All jokes aside, it has been 4 months since I've been on ACT. And the experience is just like the plan I've selected: Incredible!

60Mbps, day or night, pings less than 2-3 ms, uploads are NOT counted, constant 5-6 MBps while downloading stuff the wrong way, what else can I say!
Happy to hear ACT is working out well for you. I saw your posts on the same and have asked for their sales person to visit my home this weekend but that post gave me second thoughts.

Quote:
Even if Failtel is providing FTTH at your location, just let it go. I searched for the plans you are looking for, you can find them at this link
I checked that link but the combo of 16Mbps + 60GB is not available. I consume a lot of bandwidth and hence I am on 4Mbps +80GB plan. I can manage with 60GB even though I lose quarter of my current allocation.

Anyway, I appreciate the response. It just might be the final push for me to go the ACT way.
Old 1st April 2015, 13:11   #563
BHPian

Quote:
We recently received Airtel Fibernet. Plan Rs 1099 for 16Mpbs for 60GB FUP.
sir, which area are you in Chennai. Please share the link to this plan or a scan of the offer to you so others can try too.
Old 1st April 2015, 13:16   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I reside in Banashankari 3rd Stage, Bangalore. Subscribed to Airtel 2 mbps 80 GB plan (since 5-6 months) and my monthly bill comes to around Rs. 1600.

I'm looking to shift to a different provider now, as ones like ACT and Hathway offer a lot more speed/bandwidth at cheaper costs.
My query being, are ACT and Hathway reliable? I've heard a lot of complaints about them, most of them being about not delivering the promised speed. Please advise!
Haven't used Hathway so cannot comment. But another person in an apartment close by is happy with it. I've had ACT for more than 3 years now. Have only had a problem once - when there was some cable cut and internet was out for a few days. Otherwise, speeds have always been good and service without any issues.
Old 1st April 2015, 13:58   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

There are 2 concerns most people have with a new ISP:

1) Speed: I always, always get 54Mbps with ~10ms ping times. On torrents, my speeds max out at around 6.5MBps.

2) After Sales Service: They have always been prompt to resolve issues. I just need to call 080-40161616 and they usually have a technician land at my doorstep within 24 hours. I have only had to call them once up until now, and that issue was resolved by the next day.

The only issue I had with Hathway in the beginning was that you would need to login to their systems every 4 hours to get the internet to work. But then, I had read online that asking them for a Static IP will resolve this issue, and it has. This static IP was available to me at no extra charge.

Do note that they only accept quarterly year payments. Also, a small tip, try getting the connection in the middle of the month. Why?

Say you need to renew your subscription on the 15th of April, the usage counter resets itself after the 1st and before 15th. So you basically have the whole month's quota to use before the 15th and again after the 15th and before the 31st!
Now, now! That's a wonderful piece of information. Thanks a lot! Shall consider my options now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Haven't used Hathway so cannot comment. But another person in an apartment close by is happy with it. I've had ACT for more than 3 years now. Have only had a problem once - when there was some cable cut and internet was out for a few days. Otherwise, speeds have always been good and service without any issues.
Thanks, Naveen! My priority is proper streaming speed so that I can watch my matches in peace.
Old 1st April 2015, 14:13   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Be careful of this Static IP funda. It is actually a pain to use.

I was using a Reliance connection in 2010 with a static ip. I had a horrible time configuring my office laptop and smartphone.
Office laptop - The settings was locked down by admin.
Smartphone (Nokia C7-00) - The settings used to go away with a restart.

Add to woes, if you have someone coming to your home (family, friends) who wish to use your internet connection, it is another headache of doing a technician job each time for them (instead of just punching in the password).
Old 1st April 2015, 15:56   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Be careful of this Static IP funda. It is actually a pain to use.
The Static IP I was talking about was from the side of the ISP. I do not need to do any IP Address configurations from Control Panel, or anything from my end for that matter.

I have never had issues with getting new devices to use the connection. It works just like a Dynamic IP connection in that respect. Plug and play kind of compatibility.

The Static IP you are referring to is applicable for your local internet network. Eg. On cmyip.com, your IP address will end up changing with every reboot. Whereas the Static IP I am referring to is applicable outside your network as well. Eg. On cmyip.com, your IP address will not end up changing with every reboot. Because the IP address I am referring to and the one you are referring to are different ones.

Quote:
My query being, are ACT and Hathway reliable?
Quote:
Now, now! That's a wonderful piece of information. Thanks a lot! Shall consider my options now.

Thanks, Naveen! My priority is proper streaming speed so that I can watch my matches in peace.
Some more information here. With ACT, your uploads are not counted in your FUP, while the uploads are counted towards your FUP in Hathway.

Also, a friend of mine used ACT in the Richmond Town area. Whenever he had an issue, ACT would take a few days and some follow-ups to get it fixed. Looks like the quality of service differs from area to area.

As for your requirement of being able to stream watches, I watch the Star Sports F1 HD stream every race day. But I guess streaming playback smoothness depends on the stream you are watching. Football matches are still as jerky as they were on my BSNL 2Mbps connection. :( If you have a Star Sports package like thing, you can expect perfect quality.

Here are some pictures:

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 1st April 2015 at 16:08.
Old 12th April 2015, 19:51   #568
Senior - BHPian

Finally decided to 'ACT' on my slow Internet connection issues. Got ACT Lightning (40Mbps/75GB) for Rs 1299. Around Rs 800 cheaper and 10 times faster internet.

I decided to give Airtel one last chance since I saw pamphlets for the 60GB/Rs1099 offer outside every house in my street. Called the number and they confirmed the plan while telling me to call 121 to change to it.

I called 121, only to be told that I need to email them to get the plan changed. So emailed them to realize that there is no such plan at the moment from Airtel. Got irritated and asked them to stop wasting our time and fooling customers with their pamphlets and bring it down immediately.

Got a call from an Airtel person after 10 minutes, asking if there was anything else that they can do at this point. Politely told them to stop misleading customers and train their reps well.

Frustrated and made a call to ACT. Signed the cheque and got the connection 24 hours later. I don't need Internet all the while and hence I am OK with having some reasonable downtime.

Ciao Airtel!
Old 15th April 2015, 12:17   #569
Senior - BHPian

My spectranet connection has been holding up decently since the last 3 months. At times there are some connectivity issues and they acknowledge it through SMS and seem to resolve it fairly quickly. However my upload speeds are still not up to the mark as they promise in their sales material. Here is the latest speedtest snapshot. And yes, they dont have any FUP and is truly unlimited. I have been using in excess of 150 GB on an average every month.

Old 15th April 2015, 13:20   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Finally decided to 'ACT' on my slow Internet connection issues. Got ACT Lightning (40Mbps/75GB) for Rs 1299. Around Rs 800 cheaper and 10 times faster internet.
Ciao Airtel!

I've been with ACT for the last 2 years. I have the same plan as yours, SchumiFan.
I paid upfront for 12 months, got 2 months extra and an additional 25GB per month. Over the wire I get a constant 4.5-4.8 MBps.
The only issue I face is how to use up 100 GB a month. (touch wood)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks