Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 17:56   #14776
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Is there a better DSLR priced around 70-72k than Canon's 80D. Nikon is not an option because...magiclantern!

Little background that may help

I have a Canon 550D for the past 6-7 years and its served me well. Recently I ordered a 10-18 and 50mm lens. So right now there are 3 decent lenses (including the 18-55 kit lens) and I'm happy with 550D except that it doesn't have a flip screen.

Vlogging is not possible with 550D hence the need for a new DSLR. I have spent the past few weeks looking at various other alternatives (including Canon's M50) but something or the other falls short somewhere.

My requirements
1. Flip screen that I can use for video-shooting self
2. Compatible with my existing lenses (I know even mirrorless cameras have an adapter where I can use old DSLR lenses but not sure if it affect the performance or outcome in any way)
3. Continuous Auto-focus while on Video (and a fast one at that)
4. Microphone, when mounted shouldn't interfere with flipscreen in any way (most mirrorless camera flipscreens interfere with the microphone)
5. Weather-proof (I wonder whether the lenses are already weather proof though, if not then does it make sense to have a weather proof DSLR?)
6. Good battery life (I guess this this is where 77D loses the race including few other areas)
7. Don't want to be guinea pig (a proven DSLR is better than a new product that may have hidden surprises)

My research says 80D makes most sense because I'll also be able to use existing lenses effectively and shoot some cool videos given I have a wide angle & prime lens already.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
Old 20th July 2018, 10:01   #14777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
All the lenses are DX lenses, 35 mm and 50 mm primes, one 18-105 mm and one 70-300 zoom. If I go for full frame Nikon camera then I will not be able to use these lenses. So it is not mandatory for me to buy a Nikon.
Please check the specifications. I think that at least the 50mm and 70-300mm are FX lenses.

The D750 is an excellent body and now it is available at quite a discount.
Old 20th July 2018, 12:14   #14778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Hi,

poloriser to get those fantastic effects on the clouds and remove the reflection from objects and water bodies, I hope this helps.

PS: I forgot to mention, I use a canon 550D
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thad, that was expected. but you could check places like JJMPF for anyone selling the lens. With third party lenses, I prefer to check the lens before buying it. I have a Tokina 12-28 f4, though the 11-16 looks quite popular.
Thanks a lot Condor and Humyum. I really appreciate your advice and feedback. I'll surely get a polarizer as well.

Kind Regards

Vikas
Old 26th September 2018, 09:49   #14779
Senior - BHPian

This once active thread is stagnant!

Upgraded recently. Doesn't give the excitement of buying one's first serious camera (this was my 3rd upgrade). Yeah, still sticking to 'dinosaur' DSLRs :-)

Might be shooting more landscape and nature, if I can travel enough. Deliberating between a 6 stop and 10 stop ND filter.

My old D7100 and 70-300 AF-S are up for sale through JJMehta. If I don't sell it I might start using the D7100 for remote shooting e.g. start experimenting with camera traps.
Old 26th September 2018, 09:54   #14780
Distinguished - BHPian

My venerable old D800 (does the 'D' stand for Dinosaur nowadays?) still ticks all the boxes for me. I do not see the need to upgrade any longer at least for the foreseeable future. Had a D4 which I sold a few years back. But that Nikon mirrorless system is interesting and I'll wait till Nikon irons out the customary bugs from their new systems.
Old 26th September 2018, 10:05   #14781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
This once active thread is stagnant!

Upgraded recently. Doesn't give the excitement of buying one's first serious camera (this was my 3rd upgrade). Yeah, still sticking to 'dinosaur' DSLRs :-)

Deliberating between a 6 stop and 10 stop ND filter.
Get both . You will definitely find use for both. Sometimes you'll even need to stack them. I recently got a Tiffin variable ND filter. I like the convenience and it had little to no color cast.

What was the upgrade?
Old 26th September 2018, 10:13   #14782
BHPian

I have a Manfrotto monopod and am looking for a quick release ball head to pair with it. Can anyone of you recommend a good one, preferable one not too expensive?
Old 26th September 2018, 10:18   #14783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My venerable old D800 (does the 'D' stand for Dinosaur nowadays?) still ticks all the boxes for me. I do not see the need to upgrade any longer at least for the foreseeable future. Had a D4 which I sold a few years back. But that Nikon mirrorless system is interesting and I'll wait till Nikon irons out the customary bugs from their new systems.
True. Once a camera is 'good enough' for one's use, then there is no point in upgrading. Sort of like my vehicle - 8 years old, I don't feel a need to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Get both . You will definitely find use for both. Sometimes you'll even need to stack them. I recently got a Tiffin variable ND filter. I like the convenience and it had little to no color cast.

What was the upgrade?
Elder siblings, same family :-)

I have been looking at that Tiffen filter, but a lot of people say that the cons are more than pros regarding variable ND filters. Will do more research.
Old 18th October 2018, 19:17   #14784
BHPian

Hi All,
I am in market for a used DSLR. I was using Nikon D5000 and sold it off. Prefer to go for full frame and looking for a used one. Currently shortlisted D810 and the pries I can see are in the range of 1000$ - 2000$. Reason for considering Nikon is, I have a 50mm sigma prime lens. I can start with it and get a better lens later. And my friends network are Nikonians . Camera will be used for travel clicks and family pics. I would like to know the experts thoughts here and things to consider while getting a used gear.
Old 18th October 2018, 19:25   #14785
Senior - BHPian

I am seeing some ads for Mirrorless Canons. What are they, one can expect the lenses for a mirrorless camera to be smaller/lighter.
Old 18th October 2018, 19:30   #14786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am seeing some ads for Mirrorless Canons. What are they, one can expect the lenses for a mirrorless camera to be smaller/lighter.
Yes that is Canon's response to Nikon Z series mirrorless bodies.

Native lenses for mirrorless cameras will be shorter in length, but the diameter remains same. In case of Nikon, their new lenses for Z series are brand new design, so they are marginally lighter and of course shorter.
Old 19th October 2018, 11:16   #14787
Senior - BHPian

I did not check, but no so long ago mirrorless cameras cost a bomb. I hope things are improving now. In any case mirrorless should be lighter and more compact.
Old 19th October 2018, 14:23   #14788
Senior - BHPian

We have a thread on mirrorless cameras'.-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...l-cameras.html (Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras)
Old 19th October 2018, 16:32   #14789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Thanks. I have put a shortcut to it. I was wondering what EVIL meant so was ignoring it all through.
Old 19th October 2018, 16:42   #14790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I was wondering what EVIL meant ...
HaHa, I still am, despite having a mirrorless camera. I hope the guy who thought that, as a marketing acronym (I suppose it stands for something?) it would go down really well, got sacked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks