Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2018, 19:35   #14746
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have a Canon 550D and I shoot a lot during my road trips. The kit lens, 18-55, has served me well however a wide angle lens was always missed.

I wish to get a wide angle lens as I do 60-70% landscape photography but since I'm also keen in video shooting I was thinking a 10-18mm f4.5/5.6 should work for both.

Given the limited research I did this seems to be a good lens for my needs but wanted to check with the experts.

EDIT: The Canon EF-S 10-18MM f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Zoom Lens has a super quiet motor so autofocus during video shooting would be a great help. The kit lens sucks at autofocus with too much noise during video shoots.
Sweet little lens for the price. Go for it. The STM is quiet and you wouldn't notice that its focussing. It will be too wide for video unless you take landscape videos. Superb flare control like the older 10-22mm lens. It's a plastic lens and very light weight. I'ts not the sharpest lens out there but for the price its a no brainer. Here are some pics I took with mine.

All these were shot with a 7D Mark II+10-18 STM combo.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-reflection-lake-large.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-narada-falls-flickr-large.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-pallouse-1-1-large.jpg  

Old 8th May 2018, 23:22   #14747
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Need advice for camera bag/case.
I have a canon 600D with the following lenses
35 mm StM prime
50 mm STM prime
17-55 F2.8 Tamron VC
55-250 Canon STM

I have no intentions of upgrading to a full-frame camera.

I am looking for a compact bag to carry my gear. Currently, I have the normal Canon bag which comes with the camera and is pretty pathetic to say the least.

Normally, when I go for travelling, I will be carrying the Tamron 17-55, 35 mm prime and the 55-250. Out of these, the 17-55 gets used the most and also the 35 mm. 55-250mm is used rarely or in specific cases like jungle safari.

Please suggest me a compact and sturdy bag which will keep my stuff safe and will be easy to use.
Old 11th May 2018, 23:25   #14748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Need advice for camera bag/case.
Not attempting to answer the Query. Just an indicator of what I have - an AmazonBasics Sling Backpack. Cornfortable to carry, well padded, & plenty of pockets for batteries, filters, etc. The internal compartments can be adjusted with moving / velcro partitions. There are loops on the outside to "hang" the tripod too. Amazon gives an indication of the number of DSLRs & No. of lenses the bags can hold in the description. you may need a proper backpack - without the "sling' in the title.

Don't know about durablity or water resistance. New purchase & rains have not started yet.

-x-O-x-

There is an ancient zenit film camera lying somewhere here. It has a fixed lens. But no flash shoe - only a plug/ jack. So, did a google on it - and was surprised to find new zenit-E listed below 6k INR on Amazon USA. Interestingly, in a repeat d history, they are now planning to launch a Full Frame mirrorless DSLR. Reports say it is a clone A Leica. Zenit's first ever model too was a clone.
Old 12th May 2018, 09:02   #14749
BHPian

I have canon 60d with 18-55 kit lens. Will canon EF 24-70 f/4l be an upgrade over kit lens? Planning to move to full frame body in future so looking for EF lens only. Any suggestions?
Old 12th May 2018, 11:09   #14750
Senior - BHPian

@avimal; I would not recommend the lens you are suggesting. Hardly any change, just the EF basically.
Old 12th May 2018, 12:15   #14751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I have canon 60d with 18-55 kit lens. Will canon EF 24-70 f/4l be an upgrade over kit lens? Planning to move to full frame body in future so looking for EF lens only. Any suggestions?
It's a cheaper alternative to the stellar 24-70 f/2.8 L. On full frame it's a good range to have. You can find it in almost all professional's bags (The 2.8 version). Definitely better than the kit lens, given that it has a constant f/4, IS against the variable f stops & no IS on 18-55. Its a 'L' glass - can withstand adverse weather and is built well. I have used it only once during a friend's wedding on a 5dMk2 and it turned out great. Very sharp and you have the option of instant manual focus override for those creative shots once in a while.

If however, you aren't pushed into a corner to get that perfect shot, and have the liberty of moving around, for street or portraits, a prime should be a better option. Cheaper too. I don't know what you enjoy shooting, but this is just based on my perceptions. Could be wrong/not applicable in your case.
Old 12th May 2018, 16:50   #14752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Though it will work on crop sensors but it will be an awkward focal length combination as you will effectively have a 38-112 mm lens (in full frame terms) until you upgrade to a full-frame camera.
Old 12th May 2018, 19:40   #14753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Though it will work on crop sensors but it will be an awkward focal length combination as you will effectively have a 38-112 mm lens (in full frame terms) until you upgrade to a full-frame camera.
Thanks everyone. I think I better postpone this till I change to full frame body so that I can take lens that suits full frame. I am planning to keep both bodies so that I can use full frame for wider shots and aps-c for telephoto shots.
Old 14th May 2018, 11:35   #14754
BHPian

I have a Nikon 3200 DSLR with 18-55 kit lens and 35mm prime lens. I am looking to purchase a wide angle lens for landscape photography. Which one do you guys recommend?
Old 14th May 2018, 12:17   #14755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I have a Nikon 3200 DSLR with 18-55 kit lens and 35mm prime lens. I am looking to purchase a wide angle lens for landscape photography. Which one do you guys recommend?
The 18mm is quite wide enough. In case you really want something wider, remember that for a DX sensor even 12mm will have the same FOV as an 18mm on a FX sensor.

What I do is to shoot overlapping images handheld and stitch them in Microsoft ICE software. In most of the cases you will not even notice the stitch.
Old 14th May 2018, 12:26   #14756
BHPian

Any mirrorless APS-C user here?.. I've a Sony a6300, loved the image quality and portability of the camera. Looking for a prime lens now. Any suggestions? Budget is around 30-35k
Old 14th May 2018, 15:15   #14757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish_arora View Post
Looking for a prime lens now.
I am getting wooed by speed!

No, not in the car, but on the camera. So fast primes are very much catching my attention as opposed to mediocre speed zooms, although I'm never going to give up the convenience of the latter.

Currently, I have a Sigma 30/1.4, a manual Tamron 90/2.8 macro, which I use mostly for concert portraits, and I'm awaiting delivery of a Sony 50/1.8

But advice on buying one depends absolutely on what you need. You have to tell people what you are going to photograph with it. wide-angle landscapes? Portraits? Telephoto?

Unless... you mean what used to be called the standard lens that most 35mm cameras came with before everything was zoom, in which case, 30-35mm is the equivalent. And, since I got the Sigma 30, it is the lens that I leave on my a6000. It is so much better than the kit lens... unless I need the wider angle, and or the portability.

For full compatibility, and OSS, stick with Sony. But my Sigma was a good used deal at a fraction of the price of the nearest Sony, and it does all the autofocus stuff, just, no vibration control.
Old 15th May 2018, 10:43   #14758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But advice on buying one depends absolutely on what you need. You have to tell people what you are going to photograph with it. wide-angle landscapes? Portraits? Telephoto?
Yes, you're right. I am looking portable(easy on weight and size) lens which I'll be using for Travel, Landscapes, Street Photography. Also, I am quite fascinated by Astro-photography, so I am looking for a really fast lens.

Sigma 16mm f1.4 (launched in October'17), Sony 50mm, Sony 35mm are a few lens that I'm considering. Only thing going against Sigma is lack of OSS.
Old 15th May 2018, 12:18   #14759
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I faced a peculiar issue during our latest trip, I own a Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 18-105 and Tamron 70-300 lens.
I noticed that when viewed with the view finder the lens seemed to lack focus and was not locking on any object either manual or auto.
Of course the first thing I did was to check if there were any smudges on the lens or the view finder but there weren't any.

Due to this I faced a lot of issue as I had no idea whether the target object was in focus or not as everything seemed a blur. No doubt most pics came out dull and without sharpness.
I could not understand the reason as it was working all fine until now. Not sure if I am doing something wrong.

What could be the issue? Do I need to visit any service center to have it serviced/looked into? Need suggestions and advise.

Cheers.

Last edited by Trojan : 15th May 2018 at 12:27. Reason: added
Old 15th May 2018, 14:11   #14760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Hello Friends,

I faced a peculiar issue during our latest trip, I own a Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 18-105 and Tamron 70-300 lens.
I noticed that when viewed with the view finder the lens seemed to lack focus and was not locking on any object either manual or auto.
Of course the first thing I did was to check if there were any smudges on the lens or the view finder but there weren't any.
Ok, I think I found a possible solution while reading through a forum.
I think it could be due to the diopter (I didn't know about this) and will try adjusting the same.
Will update if it works.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks