Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2016, 11:02   #14191
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

If the site accepts the registration then it is bought from a genuine dealer. If it is rejected, return it with a note stating the reason. Amazon has a no-questions asked return policy, so you loose nothing.

Looks like amazon changed their return policy on this - www.amazon.in/returnspolicy its 10 days replacement only policy for cameras,mobiles and other electronic device
Old 29th September 2016, 11:05   #14192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Most of the seller names are weird and some has Nikon has the seller names and thats what the nikon site warns us also.
I see you location says Bangalore. Just walk into one of the major retailers/distributors and get one. You can call them up, ask for rates before you head there. Rates are usually very competitive. Play with the ergonomics of the camera and see which one feels good for you. At distributors like fotocircle, you can see all the makes (Canon/Nikon/Sony DSLR vs Mirrorless etc). Just dont go by reviews and suggestions alone. Canon Vs Nikon is an age old war which keeps swinging sides. So no point going by reviews alone. Hold the camera and decide for yourself at least on the ergonmics part.

Quote:
Thats what I am going to do today Ampere. Will visit the croma and reliance shops. Also check out local distributors also.
I wont suggest Croma/Reliance. I would suggest Fotocircle. It would be like a one stop solution for all photography equipment. (They only deal in photography equipment as against Reliance/Croma; where the probability of not finding the model you are looking is high.)

Last edited by ampere : 29th September 2016 at 11:19.
Old 29th September 2016, 11:11   #14193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I see you location says Bangalore. Just walk into one of the major retailers/distributors and get one. You can call them up, ask for rates before you head there. Rates are usually very competitive. Play with the ergonomics of the camera and see which one feels good for you. Just dont go by reviews and suggestions alone. Canon Vs Nikon is an age old war which keeps swinging sides. So no point going by reviews alone. Hold the camera and decide for yourself at least on the ergonmics part.

Thats what I am going to do today Ampere. Will visit the croma and reliance shops. Also check out local distributors also.
Old 29th September 2016, 11:42   #14194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post
Thanks nilanjanray, the urge to photography wildlife and birds started from a trip to Sikkim in April where i got a chance to do some birding.

Will eventually go for a tripod then for birding, after i get used to the feel of the new kit.
For a birder, a tripod or a monopod makes a lot of sense. One can never have enough reach, which means the longest/best lenses one can afford.

Maybe you can start with a monopod, and then eventually move to a good tripod with a gimbal head when you upgrade big time.
Old 29th September 2016, 21:04   #14195
BHPian

Thanks Ampere and Aroy! I visited the Croma and reliance stores. Pathetic sales persons. However one thing I felt was the DSLR camera was very heavy to my liking. I tried the Nikon D3300 and 3200 one. Now I am confused to whether buy a DSLR or not
Old 29th September 2016, 22:22   #14196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However one thing I felt was the DSLR camera was very heavy to my liking. I tried the Nikon D3300 and 3200 one. Now I am confused to whether buy a DSLR or not
If you think these two models are heavy, then wait till you get the birding-suitable lenses !!

Weight is going to be part of the package .. unless you go for mirrorless.
Old 29th September 2016, 23:17   #14197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I am confused to whether buy a DSLR or not
You can rent DSLR + Lens for a weekend trip. That would tell you if you like the flexibility and quality provided by DSLR or not.
Old 29th September 2016, 23:43   #14198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ampere and Aroy! I visited the Croma and reliance stores. Pathetic sales persons. However one thing I felt was the DSLR camera was very heavy to my liking. I tried the Nikon D3300 and 3200 one. Now I am confused to whether buy a DSLR or not
Lift some weights if you ever plan to use a DSLR with good lenses. Or stay with P&S or bridge cameras. After a while you will see that the camera is often lighter than the lens.

The good mirrorless lenses - ones that have decent reach - are rather heavy (relatively speaking).

Last edited by nilanjanray : 29th September 2016 at 23:46.
Old 30th September 2016, 10:47   #14199
Senior - BHPian

Mirrorless cameras and lenses are still in their infancy. In most cases it is the normal lens plus an adapter, at maybe 30% more.
Old 30th September 2016, 11:13   #14200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Mirrorless cameras and lenses are still in their infancy. In most cases it is the normal lens plus an adapter, at maybe 30% more.
I completely agreed with this sentiment back in 2011. A year later I sold all my dSLR gear and moved into mirrorless. My 3rd mirrorless body will soon complete 2 years. Is it mature... you be the judge.
Old 30th September 2016, 11:17   #14201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
They have come a long long way. Surely not infancy. Ask Samurai. He uses the a fantastic Olympus. I also have a Sony 6000 + 16-50 and a 50mm. If you look at DXO mark ratings for 6000+50mm, they are right up there. Plus with the compactness, they are a brilliant buy.

@sairamboko However what I wont advice with these systems is a long zoom lens. Somehow I dont find the idea of a big lens attached to a very small body good. I use these kind of cameras for family travel and generic pictures, landscapes, family portraits etc. In other words a camera and a lens system which will remain compact. Under that constraint, what even genre I can shoot, I will.
Old 30th September 2016, 11:54   #14202
BHPian

Now that we are talking about mirrorless and DSLRs, I have following queries since I too am looking for a better camera (read actual camera and not phone).

- I am more interested in street photography which has lot of colours in the background
- Also into low light photography using wide angle lens
- Really not very much into wildlife

I am very much inclined towards mirrorless primarily due to lesser weight which allows me to take lot of casual, impromptu pics
With above interest of mine, should I go ahead with mirrorless and if yes then can you guys suggest few which are on the affordable range
Old 30th September 2016, 12:00   #14203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
@sairamboko However what I wont advice with these systems is a long zoom lens.
+1.

IMO, a mirrorless with kit lenses would be sufficient for general / family/ travel photography. Macro's too. But when it comes to wildlife / birding etc, or anything that needs more than 300 mm of focal length, then I would be looking at CaNikon. It is not about the capability of the mirrorless systems, but the big advantage of compactness , and also the balance of body vs lens
would be lost.
Old 30th September 2016, 12:16   #14204
Senior - BHPian

Well folks I bought by Nikon D5500 less than six months ago. I looked around but could not find a suitable Mirrorless at reasonable price. They were mostly my old favorite Olympus, but mighty costly. I was willing to pay up to 10% more, but had no luck.
Old 30th September 2016, 12:29   #14205
Senior - BHPian

If you need long Telephoto Lenses, then it makes sense to buy DSLR rather than a mirrorless. The long lenses weigh upwards of 2kg and in many cases longer focal lengths are not available for mirror less.

For street photography a mirrorless that blends in with your shirt/coat colour is what most of my friends use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks