Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 09:33   #14161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi All - I am beginning to like photography as a hobby now. Would like to start with point and shoot before venturing to DSLR. Can you please suggest a good point and shoot camera within 12k budget. Want to play around with the camera and understand how it works.
Please, if you can, push your budget up a bit and get a used DSLR. The problem with a point and shoot camera is that the camera decides what pictures it should take. That hampers creativity. And that sadly isn't photography.
Wishing you the best.
Good luck!
Old 27th September 2016, 10:01   #14162
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Hi All - I am beginning to like photography as a hobby now. Would like to start with point and shoot before venturing to DSLR. Can you please suggest a good point and shoot camera within 12k budget. Want to play around with the camera and understand how it works.
The entry level canon 1200D and 1300D are available on tatacliq for 18-20K with the kit lens - these are excellent deals. I'd rather use my smartphone than spend 12K on a P&S - in fact smartphones have almost decimated entry level P&S cameras.

https://www.tatacliq.com/canon-eos-1...00000000006254

Last edited by sdp1975 : 27th September 2016 at 10:02.
Old 27th September 2016, 11:01   #14163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The entry level canon 1200D and 1300D are available on tatacliq for 18-20K with the kit lens - these are excellent deals. I'd rather use my smartphone than spend 12K on a P&S - in fact smartphones have almost decimated entry level P&S cameras.

https://www.tatacliq.com/canon-eos-1...00000000006254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Please, if you can, push your budget up a bit and get a used DSLR. The problem with a point and shoot camera is that the camera decides what pictures it should take. That hampers creativity. And that sadly isn't photography.
Wishing you the best.
Good luck!
Thank you Sdp1975 and Turbohead!! I will try to extend my budget and see. The main reason I am looking for a good camera is I keep on changing my smartphone and sometimes the phones don't offer good quality. I will see what this diwali sale brings. Also which brand is preferred? Canon or Nikon?
Old 27th September 2016, 12:30   #14164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also which brand is preferred? Canon or Nikon?
Both are good brands .

I bought a Canon because of the availability of budget prime lenses - not sure if Nikon have those.
Old 27th September 2016, 12:49   #14165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also which brand is preferred? Canon or Nikon?
Usually Nikon is better at low light conditions. But in all other aspects( especially outdoor and well lit scenes) Canon is better. It depends on what type of photography you like. I love night photography but I don't find my Canon a hindrance either.
Chances are you'll find more number of Canon cameras on olx etc.
Cheers
Old 27th September 2016, 13:14   #14166
Senior - BHPian

The Nikon D3300 with the 18-55 kit lens is an excellent buy for beginners. You can use it as a P&S by going all Auto and slowly explore the non auto modes as you progress. The camera is priced quite aggressively
http://www.amazon.in/Nikon-D3300-Dig...00+dslr+camera

P&S sales are dipping dramatically as the Cell Phones are offering better options - MP, Effects and Connectivity, so there is no reason to get a P&S unless you want a very small discrete camera.
Old 27th September 2016, 13:41   #14167
BHPian

Aroy- thanks for the suggestion. Even the canon 1300 d is priced aggressively with lens and it has WiFi and nfc to share photos. Out of canon EOS 1300d and Nikon D3300 which one would you suggest?
Old 27th September 2016, 13:48   #14168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aroy- thanks for the suggestion. Even the canon 1300 d is priced aggressively with lens and it has WiFi and nfc to share photos. Out of canon EOS 1300d and Nikon D3300 which one would you suggest?
I am bit biased as we in Family are Nikon users. In general at the lower end Nikon has an edge in Sensor Size and Dynamic Range making it a better buy. I had Nikon D70 (since sold) and D300 (still there) and bought D3300 in 2014. I am absolutely in love with D3300 and have shot nearly 70,000 images till date with it.

In general unless you are a professional where dedicated dials, buttons and an extra LCD helps, I feel that minimalist controls of the entry level bodies are much better as you are generally not changing any setting excepting aperture and ISO shot to shot, so paying for extra buttons is not worth it. Neither does paying more for a rugged weather proof body make sense for the casual shooter.
Old 27th September 2016, 14:22   #14169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post
Need help on this one. Planning to get a d7200 soon. Upgrading from a d3200 which just does not cut it when photographing birds. I have been using a tamron 16-300 for the last 1 year which gives kit lens quality and was missing out on the reach. Now want to pair the d7200 with a long zoom to photograph wildlife and birds.

Please advise on which lens should i go for. My budget allows only the nikkor 200-500 and the sigma or tamron 150-600 but i am not sure which one to go for with the d7200. Experts please help out.
I have used both lenses. I also own a Nikon D7200, so this is an apples to apples comparison. I hired the lenses, so they are not mine and they have gone through considerable use by various people. Both were in pretty good condition, so that proves that the quality of construction is excellent and the ability to handle rough treatment is very good.

I prefer the Nikon 200-500 over the Tamron 150-600, since I feel it is just that bit faster to focus mainly because of the constant f/5.6 throughout the range. I also felt that it has better edge clarity, but that is only if you are pixel peeping. The extra 100mm on the Tamron will make a very slight difference, but with the 24MP of the 7200 you can always crop a bit and get the same result.

If you want to look at the photos, here are two threads taken with these lenses:

A long weekend at Kabini - Again was with the Tamron 150-600

A Tigress in Kabini was with the Nikon 200-500

To me, it looks like more of personal preference than anything else. Anyway, hope you enjoy your photography with either of them. Both are good and very VFM.
Old 27th September 2016, 15:57   #14170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
I prefer the Nikon 200-500 over the Tamron 150-600, since I feel it is just that bit faster to focus mainly because of the constant f/5.6 throughout the range. I also felt that it has better edge clarity, but that is only if you are pixel peeping. The extra 100mm on the Tamron will make a very slight difference, but with the 24MP of the 7200 you can always crop a bit and get the same result.
Thank you Stryker, after going through a lot of blogs decided on the nikkor.
Went price shopping last weekend. Nikkor 200-500 was offered at 78,500 and the d7200 at 60k. Checked out a bag for 3500. Will be picking them up at the start of next month.

Also any suggestions on a tripod for starters to wildlife. Can't spend much at this point after acquiring the glass and body.
Old 27th September 2016, 16:15   #14171
BHPian

Quote:
Also any suggestions on a tripod for starters to wildlife. Can't spend much at this point after acquiring the glass and body.
If you are not planning to hike out into the forest by yourself and you are going to rely on safari vehicles like most of us do, a tripod is a sheer waste of money. There is absolutely no space for you to setup a tripod in a vehicle. A sturdy bean bag is much better, not to mention far cheaper.

However, if you are going to be static in one place and shoot birds or animals, then a tripod would make sense. But I would still say that the 200-500 is pretty good handheld, even down to 1/40s as the VR in that lens is awesome. It is not too heavy so it wont tire your arms out by the end of the day, especially if you are not shooting continuously. I'm comfortable handholding the 7200 + 200-500 all day long and I certainly don't have Stallone like muscles!

Last edited by Stryker : 27th September 2016 at 16:16. Reason: Spell check
Old 27th September 2016, 16:24   #14172
BHPian

Quote:
I'm comfortable handholding the 7200 + 200-500 all day long and I certainly don't have Stallone like muscles!
Thats a relief . Will be visiting Tadoba in Dec, so mostly will be on a safari vehicle.A bean bag sounds good to me now. Will worry about the tripod after i get the lens and spend some time with it.
Old 27th September 2016, 16:52   #14173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you want to look at the photos, here are two threads taken with these lenses
The Sigma 160-600mm S is the best of the bunch (don't know how good the new Tamron is), but it is more expensive and heavy. The Nikon 200-500mm leads the rest of the pack, IMO.

Btw, you always seem to have great luck in Kabini

Quote:
You are overthinking, you don't need a tripod to shoot wildlife, unless you are a birder and/or carrying the long prime lenses.

I don't even use a beanbag, always shoot mammals handheld. The only couple of times I felt the need for support, were when I was shooting birds, especially some swallows. And then a beanbag wouldn't have helped, a Wimberley or Jobu gimbal head on top of a sturdy tripod would have.

http://nilanjanray.in/project/portfo...its-behaviour/

http://nilanjanray.in/project/photo-...dlife-habitat/

With the D7200 and 200-500 you will have one of the best wildlife kits. Happy shooting.
Old 27th September 2016, 17:15   #14174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The Sigma 160-600mm S is the best of the bunch (don't know how good the new Tamron is), but it is more expensive and heavy. The Nikon 200-500mm leads the rest of the pack, IMO.
Yes, the Sigma S is reputedly much better, not to mention almost twice as expensive. Haven't had an opportunity to use it myself, but one of my co-safarist (is that even a description?) had it and she had only good things to say about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
TBtw, you always seem to have great luck in Kabini
Hey, thanks. Not as much as you though!

Wow, those are some amazing photos there! Fan for life!
Old 28th September 2016, 07:05   #14175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I am bit biased as we in Family are Nikon users. In general at the lower end Nikon has an edge in Sensor Size and Dynamic Range making it a better buy. I had Nikon D70 (since sold) and D300 (still there) and bought D3300 in 2014. I am absolutely in love with D3300 and have shot nearly 70,000 images till date with it.

In general unless you are a professional where dedicated dials, buttons and an extra LCD helps, I feel that minimalist controls of the entry level bodies are much better as you are generally not changing any setting excepting aperture and ISO shot to shot, so paying for extra buttons is not worth it. Neither does paying more for a rugged weather proof body make sense for the casual shooter.
Hi Aroy! Thanks for your reply! I have one more noob question. Will Nikon come with 2 years extended warranty if i buy from amazon?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks