Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2016, 22:48   #14146
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Need help on this one. Planning to get a d7200 soon. Upgrading from a d3200 which just does not cut it when photographing birds. I have been using a tamron 16-300 for the last 1 year which gives kit lens quality and was missing out on the reach. Now want to pair the d7200 with a long zoom to photograph wildlife and birds.

Please advise on which lens should i go for. My budget allows only the nikkor 200-500 and the sigma or tamron 150-600 but i am not sure which one to go for with the d7200. Experts please help out.
Old 17th September 2016, 23:17   #14147
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post
Please advise on which lens should i go for. My budget allows only the nikkor 200-500 and the sigma or tamron 150-600 but i am not sure which one to go for with the d7200. Experts please help out.
Get the Nikkor 200-500.
P.S: Own the same lens and owned a Tammy G1 earlier.
Old 18th September 2016, 09:34   #14148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post
Need help on this one. Planning to get a d7200 soon. Upgrading from a d3200 which just does not cut it when photographing birds. I have been using a tamron 16-300 for the last 1 year which gives kit lens quality and was missing out on the reach. Now want to pair the d7200 with a long zoom to photograph wildlife and birds.

Nikon 200-500 is the way to go. In case you can up the budget get the D500. It is awesome at high ISO and has a bigger buffer for longer bursts - a distinctive advantage for birds in flight shooting.
Old 22nd September 2016, 23:59   #14149
BHPian

With the help of experienced people here Sony A6000 is out. So only Nikon D5500 is left. But fate be it now Canon 760D is also contender. Advantage of Canon is Top LCD and more cross type AF (though total AF points are low). Top screen can be useful to glance over the settings quickly. In real life how important and useful these 2 points are? I do not have any lens or body so either will be OK for me.
General consensus seems that at consumer and prosumer level Nikon has edge over Canon and at very high Pro level may be neck to neck.
What is comparative lenses availability, quality and prices in these two brands at consumer and prosumer level or crop sensor category?
I may also go for D7100 or D7200 used if found good piece.

Last edited by HydroFuel : 23rd September 2016 at 00:06.
Old 23rd September 2016, 10:24   #14150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
With the help of experienced people here Sony A6000 is out. So only Nikon D5500 is left. But fate be it now Canon 760D is also contender. Advantage of Canon is Top LCD and more cross type AF (though total AF points are low). Top screen can be useful to glance over the settings quickly. In real life how important and useful these 2 points are? I do not have any lens or body so either will be OK for me.
General consensus seems that at consumer and prosumer level Nikon has edge over Canon and at very high Pro level may be neck to neck.
What is comparative lenses availability, quality and prices in these two brands at consumer and prosumer level or crop sensor category?
Either D5500 or 760D is fine. Don't overanalyze the specs. You are buying into a system, Canon and Nikon system availability and support are good enough in India.

General consensus doesn't seem to be very rational. No definite edge, except that the newer D500 is better than its Canon equivalent. But that is an advanced model.

Canon has close to 48% marketshare in ILCs (interchangeable lens cameras) worldwide.

And I am a Nikon shooter.
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:09   #14151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Once you are comfortably acquainted with your camera, you will rarely look at the top LCD, unless you are the type of shooter who tends to change settings for every shot and needs to check the settings continuously. I have a D300 and a D3300, and have rarely referred to the top LCD while using D300.

Unless you really use the swiveling LCD there is not much difference between the D5500 and the D3300. If you are starting then I would advise that you go for D3300 with its kit 18-55 lens. At a later stage when you have taken a few thousand shots, you will know what exactly you need and at that stage you may decide to go either with D7xxx series or go full frame with D750 (or its successor)
Old 23rd September 2016, 22:25   #14152
Senior - BHPian

The top panel is rather useful at times. More convenient and faster than looking at the back screen. E.g. when changing AF settings, exposure compensation, metering etc. Matter of habit I guess.
Old 26th September 2016, 19:49   #14153
BHPian

Hi All - I am beginning to like photography as a hobby now. Would like to start with point and shoot before venturing to DSLR. Can you please suggest a good point and shoot camera within 12k budget. Want to play around with the camera and understand how it works.
Old 26th September 2016, 22:48   #14154
BHPian

HI All, Just got a Canon EOS 1300D with 18-50 and 55-250 zoom kit, Canon Bag and 16 GB card for 33800/-, with a free Timex watch. Got Osaka MCUV filters for both lenses for 1500/- .

Next stop is a good tripod, canon connect app for android, and a good lens cleaning kit.
Old 27th September 2016, 01:02   #14155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi All - I am beginning to like photography as a hobby now. Would like to start with point and shoot before venturing to DSLR. Can you please suggest a good point and shoot camera within 12k budget. Want to play around with the camera and understand how it works.
There is a separate thread of digital cameras (non-DSLR), just search. Or check DPreview.com
Old 27th September 2016, 07:08   #14156
BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Hey guys!
I'm looking forward to upgrade from my Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS II lens. I'm currently looking at the EF 17-40mm L series lens, a second hand one to be specific. Any guide on what to look for in a used lens?
May I suggest the EF 16-35mm f4 lens instead of the 17-40. I have this lens & its exceptional for wide angle & walkabout use during travel for landscapes, architecture & even indoor photography.
Old 27th September 2016, 07:51   #14157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
May I suggest the EF 16-35mm f4 lens instead of the 17-40. I have this lens & its exceptional for wide angle & walkabout use during travel for landscapes, architecture & even indoor photography.
Thanks!
I did go and check some of these lenses. Zeroed in on the 24-105 for versatility. But the shop keeper mocked at the idea of me getting the EF lens for my Canon 1100D which is a very basic DSLR. He actually advised me to upgrade the camera first before getting a good lens. Totally confused- I thought that a good lens is more than enough to get great images. Plus I can use them in a full frame camera if I upgrade in the future.
Old 27th September 2016, 08:20   #14158
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
He actually advised me to upgrade the camera first before getting a good lens. Totally confused- I thought that a good lens is more than enough to get great images.
Getting a good lens makes a lot of sense for 1100D. You will get much better optics and that should show the difference in images.
Old 27th September 2016, 08:55   #14159
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
I did go and check some of these lenses. Zeroed in on the 24-105 for versatility. But the shop keeper mocked at the idea of me getting the EF lens for my Canon 1100D which is a very basic DSLR. He actually advised me to upgrade the camera first before getting a good lens. Totally confused- I thought that a good lens is more than enough to get great images. Plus I can use them in a full frame camera if I upgrade in the future.
The 24-105 is a great first purchase for a high quality general purpose lens. The new version of this lens will come out later this year, so if you can wait you will get better bargains on the older used ones.

16-35 or 17-40 are mainly wide angle general purpose lens, 24-105 is better if you dont want the wide angle but a wider range of use for travel & general purpose photography.

The shopkeeper is both right & wrong. A better camera will indeed help you get more out of a good lens & vice-versa! But as long as you have a 'decent' DSLR, with a fixed amount of money at hand, spend it on a better lens.

For example, you can go for a used Canon 60D or 70D; that will help you exploit the L-series lens far more than the Canon 1100D. Hope this makes sense.
Old 27th September 2016, 09:24   #14160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Why not get a basic used DSLR for a slightly better budget like 20K? You can just use 'Auto' mode (point & shoot) until you learn & then your investment goes much longer while you learn more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks