Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 12:22   #14086
Senior - BHPian

Keep the lens hood on 100% of the time when using the lens. That is what I do.
Old 26th July 2016, 12:28   #14087
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Keep the lens hood on 100% of the time when using the lens. That is what I do.
Sure. Will do as you suggested. Any pointers towards a good quality VFM backpack in which i can carry this set up with a 15 inch laptop?

Had a look at Lowepro range and I feel they are really overpriced. I know, if I dont have an option then I will have to go for it. But want to try or look for other options before going for Lowepro.
Old 31st July 2016, 20:53   #14088
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting post about the two types of SWM's in Nikkor Lenses:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775275
Old 3rd August 2016, 00:26   #14089
BHPian

Thanks Dineah6481 Aroy and Nilanjanray for enlightening me about the Pentax.
Especially if AF is lagging behind I shall stay away from Pentax though I am mostly going to use it for general family use and on vacation or couple of days outing. May not go for serious photography in near future.
I got the contact number of an old friend who used to work for camera repairing shops in Fort Mumbai area. He said he can arrange me good used camera from Nikon or Canon. I asked him to check for 7xxx series.
For new I may go with D5500.
Which model in used category shall be good buy keeping in mind I may not replace it in couple of years. I shall prefer 7100 because I feel finding used 7200 shall be difficult. Which is comparative Canon model?
Which lens initially shall be suitable for learning? 18-55 or 18-105 or 18-135? I may not like changing lens frequently while on vacation.
What is your advice?
Earlier I have used Canon point and shoot digital camera many years back and now using mobile camera.
@Torque123 can you please split cost of lens and D7200?

Last edited by HydroFuel : 3rd August 2016 at 00:30.
Old 4th August 2016, 15:08   #14090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
@Torque123 can you please split cost of lens and D7200?
Paid 63.5K for the camera & 80K for the 200-500mm lens. Also got this Camsaf camera backpack this week for 3K. Got to buy an additional battery & a memory card with faster write/read speed. A 15.3 inch laptop can also fit into this bag. There is a separate compartment at the back for this.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-dsc_1365.jpg  

Last edited by Torque123 : 4th August 2016 at 15:12.
Old 5th August 2016, 01:07   #14091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Paid 63.5K for the camera & 80K for the 200-500mm lens.
Happy shooting.

A couple of recent shots with the 200-500mm. Not a birder, but decided to go to the terrace and play around. Can someone identify the first bird (pretty small, 2-3 inches)? The 2nd is a female sunbird methinks.

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0795c.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0728c.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 5th August 2016 at 01:10.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 01:51   #14092
BHPian

Quote:
A couple of recent shots with the 200-500mm. Not a birder, but decided to go to the terrace and play around. Can someone identify the first bird (pretty small, 2-3 inches)? The 2nd is a female sunbird methinks.
WOW!! These are awesome pictures.
How is the speed of auto focus? Is it only dependent on camera body or the lens as well? The 70-300 mm on D5100 is sort of slow to focus on flying birds.

Lovely Photographs!!

CHEERS!!

Rachit

Last edited by ampere : 5th August 2016 at 06:43. Reason: Removed attachment from quoted post
Old 5th August 2016, 06:42   #14093
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone identify the first bird (pretty small, 2-3 inches)
Thats a juvenile purple sunbird
Old 5th August 2016, 12:00   #14094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
WOW!! These are awesome pictures.
How is the speed of auto focus? Is it only dependent on camera body or the lens as well? The 70-300 mm on D5100 is sort of slow to focus on flying birds.

Lovely Photographs!!

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Ha, these are easy to take, just some careful stalking from behind a palm tree leaf and patience.

AF speed depends both on lens and camera body. A higher end camera will make the same lens focus faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Thats a juvenile purple sunbird
Thanks Amol.
Old 8th August 2016, 23:56   #14095
BHPian

Friends please see my earlier post #14089.
What is Canon equivalent of Nikon D7200?
Old 9th August 2016, 02:29   #14096
BHPian

Quote:
Friends please see my earlier post #14089.
What is Canon equivalent of Nikon D7200?
It would be Canon 80D.

I could not resist myself from taking the new gear out for a forest trip. So visited Bandipur over the past weekend. Below is one of the images taken during the trip from a shaky, crowded & safari unfriendly bus. Somehow managed to get this image.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-leppy-bandipur1.jpg  

Old 9th August 2016, 07:33   #14097
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am mostly going to use it for general family use and on vacation or couple of days outing. May not go for serious photography in near future.
This implies you should not be looking at models like 7D-II; D7200 etc.

Quote:
Which is comparative Canon model? Which lens initially shall be suitable for learning? 18-55 or 18-105 or 18-135? I may not like changing lens frequently while on vacation.
80D is top of line pro-sumer option. Again I think if you are not too sure, does it make sense to push so much cash?

In my opinion, if you are really looking for travel related "good" quality images, you should given a serious look at Sony mirror less systems (Alpha 6000 for example). Very compact and ideal for your kind of needs.

Last edited by ampere : 9th August 2016 at 07:35.
Old 9th August 2016, 18:55   #14098
BHPian

Hi Folks
Need some advice. My daughter is keen on a DSLR. No, she is not into photography. Basically peer pressure. A friend suggested Canon XS 60 instead. Since aye have no knowledge in cameras; could you suggest. Need to gift it for her birthday tomorrow midnight.
Thanks.
Old 9th August 2016, 20:56   #14099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

In my opinion, if you are really looking for travel related "good" quality images, you should given a serious look at Sony mirror less systems (Alpha 6000 for example). Very compact and ideal for your kind of needs.
Yes mirrorless is the future and that Sony model is my second option. I am seriously considering it. But my gut feeling is that it will take further couple of years to iron out the shortcomings of mirrorless and pose a threat to DSLR. Being compact is real boon eapecially when we are travelling. In fact I happened to meet couple of persons who are frequent travellers have moved to Sony mirrorless and also advised me to go that way. But compactness is also resulting in camera getting warmer while shooting video for longer duration in some camera bodies.
I am confused here. Also there does not seem to be many members present here who have gone that way. Or may be there is different thread which I have missed.
Old 9th August 2016, 20:59   #14100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
Hi Folks
Need some advice. My daughter is keen on a DSLR. No, she is not into photography. Basically peer pressure. A friend suggested Canon XS 60 instead. Since aye have no knowledge in cameras; could you suggest. Need to gift it for her birthday tomorrow midnight.
Thanks.
The canon XS60 is what you call a bridge camera. A camera which sits in between the point and shoot and the DSLR's. The main attraction of these cameras is its super zoom. I also used one of these "Bridge" cameras before I moved on to Dslr's. I would strongly suggest you not to get this. The image quality is not that great. Low light photography is well below par. Yes you do get super zoom of 40x or 50x or more. But at that zoom the picture quality is not good at all. The picture quality is acceptable on a nice sunny and clear day. but anything less than perfect conditions and the pictures come out hazy, grainy and dull. Well you cant expect much when the camera picture sensor size is so small. I dont know the exact price point but I am guessing the price of the canon XS60 is in the low to mid 20,000Rs. At that price point, I would suggest an entry level DSLR. Ideally the entry level Nikon D3300 would be perfect. I think the price of this dslr is now in the mid 20,000. I have personally used it and the picture quality is amazing compared to bridge cameras like the XS 60. After all the image sensor in an entry level dslr is almost 3-4 times bigger than cameras like the XS60. Bigger sensors can absorb more light, more colour, more detail. It can read variations in light much better and all this translates into brilliant pictures if used correctly.Also entry level dslrs these days have quite good auto shooting modes. So no need to be intimidated by a Dslr with all the settings and all.

Just to mention, I have recommended Nikon Dslrs as I myself use Nikon and have personal experiences with the above mentioned cameras.

Last edited by amrisharm : 9th August 2016 at 21:06.

Most Viewed