Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 14:32   #14011
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Hi,

I wanted to have the guru's out here views on the Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lens for landscape photography and maybe night sky photography.

I will be using this for my puny Canon 1100D. I have the kit lenses (18-55mm) and telephoto lens (55-250mm). So was thinking to add a prime lens to my kit. Initially I was wondering to go for the 50mm prime but wanted to review this one also.

My budget at the moment wont allow me to go for any lenses on other side of ₹10k
Old 21st March 2016, 15:00   #14012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Hi,

I wanted to have the guru's out here views on the Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lens for landscape photography and maybe night sky photography.

I will be using this for my puny Canon 1100D. I have the kit lenses (18-55mm) and telephoto lens (55-250mm). So was thinking to add a prime lens to my kit. Initially I was wondering to go for the 50mm prime but wanted to review this one also.

My budget at the moment wont allow me to go for any lenses on other side of ₹10k
Check with tsk1979, he does astrophotography. There might be nuances regarding lenses that he might be aware of.

I assume you already have a decent tripod and a ballhead.
Old 21st March 2016, 16:44   #14013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

The lens will definitely be alright. I am not sure, if the 1100 can do long exposures satisfactorily, the lower ISO may not help its case. But it can definitely do light trails.
Old 21st March 2016, 17:06   #14014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The lens will definitely be alright. I am not sure, if the 1100 can do long exposures satisfactorily, the lower ISO may not help its case. But it can definitely do light trails.
Thanks buddy!

Yup I understand the limitations of 1100D. Since I am a newbie and wanted to first learn techniques and then maybe upgrade which is prescribed evidently in this forum.

(though I am still learning from 2013 when I bought this DSLR due to lack of time and other priorities ).
Old 24th March 2016, 18:10   #14015
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Hi there, I do not have personal experience using this particular lens but my thoughts.

For Landscape photography, I would think 24mm is not wide enough on a DX body with the crop factor. For landscape photography I would say 18mm, 15 mm or if you have the budget then even 11mm would give you a wide angle view.

regarding the F2.8, well such a wide f stop will give you a blurred background but a super sharp centre, again this is not what you want for landscape or night sky photography where you want clarity near and far. So you will end up using f7 or f10 in landscape photography.

Also when shooting long exposure photos at night or in the day, to get the effects of long exposures, you have to set your aperture to f7 or f10 atleast to be able to use longer exposure, so you wont be using f2.8 much for landscape or night photography.

So if landscape and night sky is your sole purpose then this lens is not the one to go for.

The 50mm 1.8 is a strictly portrait lens which can be used for people photography at functions or street photography.
Old 24th March 2016, 18:25   #14016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have the EF-S 24 mm and it's become a permanent fixture on my 1200D . I don't use the 18-55mm anymore, nor the 40 mm 2.8 or the 85 mm 1.8 primes I have.

As others have pointed out , it somewhat wide for landscapes ( approx 40mm on FF ) and you'd ideally need 24 mm on FF , or around 16mm on APS for landscapes. I use it for group photos , family outings and my travels. Canon doesn't have any EF-S primes less than 24 mm, and the EF primes are terribly expensive. Even if Canon develops a wide EF-S prime , it won't be a pancake. I have no idea on night sky photography, can't comment on that.

Take a look at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...iat-punto.html , all the photos were using the EF-S 24 mm. I always use it wide open. It's a beautiful lens - lightweight , great colors , good build and cheap as well.
Old 24th March 2016, 18:50   #14017
Senior - BHPian

If the requirement is very specific to do astro / night sky photography, then you would be using it at wide open at almost the max ISO that does not induce noise. But, for general night photography / street photography / light trails, the aperture does vary. That said it is always better to have a wider aperture than being stuck at f/4 or f/5.6

Try for a tokina 11-16 f/2.8, for astro photography. You get some very good deals on used optics.
Old 24th March 2016, 20:08   #14018
Senior - BHPian

There is another cheaper alternative(considering how much this focal length costs). Can you check the Rokinon 14mm F2.8. This is the best bargain for a superb extreme wide angle and in a cropped sensor we are talking about 22-23 MM which is plenty wide. (I find 28MM to be wide enough for landscape so 22-23 is plenty wide)

The benefit of this lens is that its completely manual, aperture control is external and on a cropped sensor the bad part of borders being soft is also eliminated. You will be using the best part of the lens and at 22MM is plenty sharp even wide open at F2.8 making it good for astro photography where you can push the ISO and stick to 30 second exposure for the milky way shots.

I can vouch for it. I had the sony version but sold off. Reason was it was too wide and i picked up a faster 20mm from Sigma which i completely ADORE and think is the best ever lens made by Sigma beating even their 50mm ART. I will write a detail review on the 20mm for others benefit but its the best/fastest wide angle that will probably stay in my Kit for it has oof that is as good as a 85mm lens when focusing near by subjects.

One thing to remember is to get the right copy. Some have infinity problem which can be self fixed with videos on youtube available to guide you on the same.
Old 4th April 2016, 09:37   #14019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post
Suggestions appreciated. Went to few authorized canon dealers in Mysore. Surprisingly prices are similar to the one in online.

Owing to such a huge price difference, I prefer going for Canon 700D, 18-55, 55-250mm lens combo pack.
Hi !

Did you go ahead and purchase the 700D with the two lens option. Am also considering it, so would appreciate your inputs.

In fact Reliance Digital here has a last piece sale of Canon 550D 18-135 mm for Rs 40000/-. Would request opinion of experts on the same visa vis the above combination.
Old 4th April 2016, 12:37   #14020
P21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Hi !

Did you go ahead and purchase the 700D with the two lens option. Am also considering it, so would appreciate your inputs.

In fact Reliance Digital here has a last piece sale of Canon 550D 18-135 mm for Rs 40000/-. Would request opinion of experts on the same visa vis the above combination.
I am buying Canon 700D this month. Little dilemma between Canon 700D and Nikon D5300.

Canon 700D has same / more features than 550D and its the latest among the two. My suggestion is to go for 700D over 550D.

As far as the price is concerned, enquired with many of the dealerships in Mysore including Reliance digital. For a Canon 700D, 18-55, 55-250mm lens combo pack below are the offered prices

Canon Authorized Dealer - INR 36500
Amazon - INR 36399
Flipkart - INR 35675
Snapdeal - INR 35375

RELIANCE DIGITAL - INR 41000 (Combo pack + tripod + JBL Bluetooth speakers) - They are selling this JUMBO pack adding extra cost while the deal says Tripod and JBL speakers are free. A new way to reduce inventory

Go for authorized shops, enquire prices and take a decision. About Reliance Digital, check for the service costs if any. Service costs are hidden too!

P21
Old 9th April 2016, 19:42   #14021
BHPian

Quote:
I am buying Canon 700D this month. Little dilemma between Canon 700D and Nikon D5300.
Hi P21, Did you purchase 700D? Where did you buy from? What was the cost break-up? Also, were you able to register the DSLR with canon India?

Here in Pune, there is too much price variation. For e.g. Canon Brandshops are giving 3% discount on MRP mentioned in Canon India site. Authorized Dealers (like Standalone dealers, Reliance Digital, Croma, Vijay Sales) are giving max 11% with none of them matching online sites like Amazon (20 to 30% )

Little apprehensive on purchasing from online sites like Amazon as to whether sellers are selling new or refurbished ones and whether we will be able to register with Canon India and get warranty.

Please share your experience.
Old 9th April 2016, 19:59   #14022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Hi !

Quote:
I am buying Canon 700D this month.

As far as the price is concerned, enquired with many of the dealerships in Mysore including Reliance digital. For a Canon 700D, 18-55, 55-250mm lens combo pack below are the offered prices

RELIANCE DIGITAL - INR 41000 (Combo pack + tripod + JBL Bluetooth speakers) - They are selling this JUMBO pack adding extra cost while the deal says Tripod and JBL speakers are free. A new way to reduce inventory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Hi P21, Did you purchase 700D? Where did you buy from? What was the cost break-up? Also, were you able to register the DSLR with canon India?

Little apprehensive on purchasing from online sites like Amazon as to whether sellers are selling new or refurbished ones and whether we will be able to register with Canon India and get warranty.

Please share your experience.
Bought a Canon 700D with 18-55 and 55-250 Kit lenses from Paytm fro 33K during October. Got it delivered in 5days. Came perfectly packed with all the warranty documents and a surprise bag from Canon. The first thing I did was to login in Canon and register for the warranty and the free classes they conduct. And it went smooth without no trouble. IMO if you Always look for a good rated seller and buy it from an ecommerce website with a clear return policy you would have absolutely no trouble with saving a little more.

I would request not to fall for the JBL speaker and tripod offer (Unless the tripod is of Manfrotto). An investment in a good tripod will always pay you back.
Old 10th April 2016, 06:49   #14023

Ok guys, I got myself a 750d with standard kit lens 18-55 for about 42k. (don't ask. I just got it in a fit of madness).

My question to you: What other lenses should I be looking at picking up in the next few months? 50mm prime or a 18-200/300 walkabout?
Old 10th April 2016, 09:27   #14024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My question to you: What other lenses should I be looking at picking up in the next few months? 50mm prime or a 18-200/300 walkabout?
Whats restricting your photography now. I used a 50mm F1.8 as my only and first lens for close to 2 years before even picking the second now.

You have to ask yourself what you take more (subject) and whats stopping you from using the 18-55. Fill that need for adding more lenses will only make other lenses sitting idle in the bag unless you know what you need.
Old 10th April 2016, 13:36   #14025
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend has been into birding for some time now, and feels the need to move up from his current camera.

Options that he is considering:

Canon 7D Mk-II
Sony A-77 Mk-II

Which one would be better ? And which lenses to go with the body >

Last edited by condor : 10th April 2016 at 13:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks