Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 17:46   #13111
Team-BHP Support

Re: The DSLR Thread

Finally the 7D Mark-II comes out.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii

Thankfully the pricing stays at 1800!

Last edited by ampere : 15th September 2014 at 17:48.
Old 15th September 2014, 19:33   #13112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Get the D3300 as I did, and you are in for a pleasant surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can try test-drive of DSLR by renting it for a weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
I would second Aroy & NetfreakBombay. Going for a film camera to reinforce your determination to shoot on manual-mode does not seem practicable.
I was totally in for a SLR! And now the scene changed. But thats good! Practically a DSLR would be the most sensible purchase. I will surely rent one and experience it.

Thanks for your input.
Old 15th September 2014, 19:42   #13113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonblackybx View Post
Just as mentioned previously, body only has been priced at $1799
Yes. Saw it already. Good the price stays!

Canon released this video for promotion

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th September 2014 at 09:11.
Old 16th September 2014, 10:14   #13114
Senior - BHPian

Got Nikon 18-140 mm lens yesterday as I found the zoom lacking with my 18-55 mm while traveling.

Initial Impressions:
Much sharper than 18-55.
Need very steady hands to shoot at 140 mm end (95% of my usage is going to be within 100mm).
Bokeh is nice with zoom (nothing compared to my 35 mm prime- amazing lens!).
As expected, low light performance is not good (need it mostly for shooting kids at home - 35mm prime fits the need perfectly).
The build quality is good (metal mount, rubber grip - like professional lens, glass looks superior).

Overall, I am happy with the lens. It meets my requirement for a travel lens. I was confused between supplementing my 18-55 with 55-200 and 18-140. 55-200 looked attractive from cost savings, but decided to spend extra and go for 18-140 as convenience matters a lot while traveling with family. Also, I do not think I will miss the extra zoom from 150mm, unless I go for some wild life/ bird photography. The only time I miss telephoto is when I go to properties like Jungle Lodges.

I think I am done with lens for a long time with 18-140mm and 35 mm prime. I will keep 18-55 as a spare lens (I believe it is a very good lens for the cost). Will look at telephoto and wide angle lenses after analyzing my requirements in the future. I may need a wide angle if I travel to Ladakh - makes sense to rent than to buy a new lens.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 16th September 2014 at 10:22.
Old 16th September 2014, 19:42   #13115
BANNED

I have just ordered and waiting for delivery of a Nikon D3300 with 18-55 lens and 55-200 lens. Will love to post some queries on photography and tips to maximize my camera's potentials.
Old 16th September 2014, 20:05   #13116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Need very steady hands to shoot at 140 mm end.
Why is this if i may ask?
Old 16th September 2014, 21:23   #13117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Why is this if i may ask?
I am delighted to see that you have commented on my post.

140 mm the long end of the lens. It was difficult to shoot the kid's face at the long end, had to be very careful (tried stopping breathing too) with hands to get a sharp image. The reason may be that the kid was moving his face.

My understanding is that I cannot help it as the focal length is long at 140mm and it is desired to use a tripod. Please note that my knowledge of photography is very less. Any advice on how to take good photos at the long end?

Hope you will be active on this thread and share your knowledge with us.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 16th September 2014 at 21:45.
Old 16th September 2014, 21:39   #13118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am delighted to see that you have commented on my post.
Don't embarrass me. I'm pretty old to handle this as you know.
Quote:
140 mm the long end of the lens.
And it's a pretty compact and light lens too. In this case grip is the key.
I'm sure you've been through many readings on this topic, but here is one more - http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...mera-shake.htm

Wish you a happy shooting with your new lens.
Old 16th September 2014, 23:00   #13119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
140 mm the long end of the lens. It was difficult to shoot the kid's face at the long end, had to be very careful (tried stopping breathing too) with hands to get a sharp image. The reason may be that the kid was moving his face.

My understanding is that I cannot help it as the focal length is long at 140mm and it is desired to use a tripod.
Tripod will not help if Kid was moving. What was the shutter speed ?

Only option here is to increase shutter speed (I think 1/250 should work). Which mode were you shooting in? In this case, shutter priority or manual will work.
Old 17th September 2014, 08:50   #13120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
140 mm the long end of the lens. It was difficult to shoot the kid's face at the long end, had to be very careful (tried stopping breathing too) with hands to get a sharp image.
Does the lens come with VR? (Sorry I'm new to the world of SLRs and I don't know the spec of 18-140mm lens)

With VR I don't face any issues even in 200mm shooting moving objects (without VR obviously a tripod is required to get sharp output)
Old 17th September 2014, 09:37   #13121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was difficult to shoot the kid's face at the long end, had to be very careful (tried stopping breathing too) with hands to get a sharp image. The reason may be that the kid was moving his face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
With VR I don't face any issues even in 200mm shooting moving objects (without VR obviously a tripod is required to get sharp output)
Guys, if the object is moving, no amount of VR or steady hand or tripod will help you.

You need higher shutter speed. Period.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:47   #13122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes. Saw it already. Good the price stays!
Canon released this video for promotion
Looks really good. If they have improved the high ISO performance on this thing by even 20-30% this will be my next camera. 10 fps and 64 focus points all cross type are the reasons enough.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th October 2014 at 12:32. Reason: fixed quote
Old 17th September 2014, 09:50   #13123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Looks really good. If they have improved the high ISO performance on this thing by even 20-30% this will be my next camera. 10 fps and 64 focus points all cross type are the reasons enough.
The only sore point which every one is whining about is Canon not delivering on the sensor. Looks like its the same 70D sensor. May be for an APSC body, it makes sense to have that size only.

But other than that it looks like a very good package. I am seriously looking at it. (Though not desperate! )
Old 17th September 2014, 09:52   #13124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only sore point which every one is whining about is Canon not delivering on the sensor. Looks like its the same 70D sensor. May be for an APSC body, it makes sense to have that size only.

But other than that it looks like a very good package. I am seriously looking at it. (Though not desperate! )
dpreview says that the sensor is a version of the 70D sensor. The high iso samples images also look promising.
Old 17th September 2014, 14:35   #13125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It actually uses a new sensor, it seems Canon chose to utilize additional cells in sensor for Metering and Autofocus instead of more pixels (Dual pixel AF on sensor). In my opinion, that is correct thing to do.

This Camera is also packed with multiple CPUs and loads of RAM. It can do 10 FPS burst, one CPU handles metering + capture, another handles encoding + writing to SD Card. As per rumors in firmware forums, it has 8 GM RAM for buffer.

Some blurbs on AF capabilities :

Quote:
Headlining the feature list is the next generation of Canon’s much-loved Dual Pixel AF — originally debuted in the Canon 70D — and a super-capable AF system that boasts 65 points that are all cross-type. This AF capability is pushed to its limits with a burst mode that can fire off 10 shots per second thanks to dual Digic 6 processors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks