Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 12:31   #13081
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

What is a good place to post ads for used lens/flash unit for sale - other than here?
Old 5th September 2014, 12:38   #13082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
What is a good place to post ads for used lens/flash unit for sale - other than here?
I am aware of this jjmehta forum(http://www.jjmehta.com/forum/index.php#c5) which is a good place, apart from this I am not aware of any photography related professional marketplace to sell used stuff. You may also try OLX and Quiker if you have not already done so.
Old 5th September 2014, 17:20   #13083
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, that seems to be a busy place too.
Old 6th September 2014, 15:15   #13084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
I am aware of this jjmehta forum(http://www.jjmehta.com/forum/index.php#c5) which is a good place, apart from this I am not aware of any photography related professional marketplace to sell used stuff. You may also try OLX and Quiker if you have not already done so.
I had sold my D90 through JJMehta forum. Good place for buying and selling.
Old 6th September 2014, 19:40   #13085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are an astro photographer, then Tokina 11-16
If you are a typical landscape guy, you will anyways use F8, so Canon is good enough.
Do look at the Sigma 8-16 too, if you want to go wider
First, sorry to quoting an old post.

I am looking for a UWA lens because I think the 18-135 I have gets a lil too tight for landscapes. I did start by looking for a used Tokina 11-16, but then saw the Canon 10-18 reviews. It seems to have great picture quality at half the price (20k) of the Tokina. The way I see it,

Canon 10-18:
+cheap
+light weight
+sharpest Canon UWA yet
+Image Stabilized

-all plastic body and mounts,
-has no distance scale
-f 4.5-5.6

Tokina 11-16:
+Better build
+constant f2.8
+distance scale

-double the price
-heavy
-has comparatively more chromatic aberration (as per online reviews)

I know that a lot of guys here probably use or have used the Tokina since its been around for quite some time now. So, do you reckon the Canon is a good bargain comparatively? I am looking to click casual landscapes and hopefully starry skies too. Could you please weigh-in on both lens and why you'd pick one over the other.

Bare in mind that the 18-135 will be goto lens if I need to choose one lens to carry around. This UWA will be for occasional use.

P.S.: I know f2.8 is better the 4.5-5.6, but I also think that with IS and bumping up the ISO the Canon should be able to manage fairly well in low light too, right?

The Canon is not readily available in all stores yet. Fotocircle says Oct is when they will get stocks, but JJMehta claims to have stocks and is quoting 20k.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Zenster : 6th September 2014 at 19:43.
Old 6th September 2014, 20:00   #13086
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Before you decide between 10-18 Canon / 11-16 Tokina, do also try to understand why 10-18 is half the price of (10-22 Canon).

Even I am curios to know that reason. (BTW I use 10-22 Canon and I chose Canon 10-22 over Tokina 11-16).
Mainly because I get access to lens profile and I can correct CA in S/W (DPP).

Last edited by ampere : 6th September 2014 at 20:02.
Old 6th September 2014, 21:22   #13087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Before you decide between 10-18 Canon / 11-16 Tokina, do also try to understand why 10-18 is half the price of (10-22 Canon).

Even I am curios to know that reason. (BTW I use 10-22 Canon and I chose Canon 10-22 over Tokina 11-16).
Mainly because I get access to lens profile and I can correct CA in S/W (DPP).

Hi Ampere,
Its cheaper because of a few reasons. Its all plastic construction including the mounts. A lot of users find this a big drawback, although this does make the lens lighter. Second, its got a limited zoom range compared to the Canon 10-22mm. Third, its not f2.8 constant like the Tokina and construction of smaller aperture (4.5-5.6 in case of the 10-18) lens is cheaper. Plus design elements like the distance indicator are missing. Although, Canon does add a quieter focusing system with the STM and also IS to the lens.

In my limited knowledge, it does seem like the 10-18 is the nifty-fifty of UWA .

Your thoughts welcome
Old 6th September 2014, 22:49   #13088
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Your thoughts welcome
Just do check, what you are in for. Because it was surprise to me too when the price was 50% to even Canon 10-22. I mean in terms of the performance (what you are getting for what you spend)

Last edited by ampere : 6th September 2014 at 23:04.
Old 6th September 2014, 23:14   #13089
Team-BHP Support

There will be better sensor. There will be better processor.

But how much we actually require?

How much high light details? How much Shadow details?
How much wide should be the dynamic range? 6 stops? 7 stops? Or more than 9 stops?

What is right? What is enough? What is a must?

Image below - 5D Mark II with 20mm block.
After seeing a casual capture like this, I go back to all these questions.

The DSLR Thread-img_2724.jpg
Old 6th September 2014, 23:34   #13090
Team-BHP Support

Very very valid point Rudra-Da. Many many people; as you very rightly point out, wont ever hit the limits of using the camera they own. Given the fact most of us are hobbyists and not professionals, we upgrade camera bodies, just because its the itch to buy and one has the cash and not because we may actually need it.

I have been thinking of 7D for some time now. But I also have the balancing section of my reasoning, which says, why I dont need it! One may find thousand reasons to buy, but there would be equal amount of reasons, which would say; why we may not need it.

A great post !

Last edited by ampere : 6th September 2014 at 23:41.
Old 8th September 2014, 11:22   #13091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very very valid point Rudra-Da. Many many people; as you very rightly point out, wont ever hit the limits of using the camera they own. Given the fact most of us are hobbyists and not professionals, we upgrade camera bodies, just because its the itch to buy and one has the cash and not because we may actually need it.

I have been thinking of 7D for some time now. But I also have the balancing section of my reasoning, which says, why I dont need it! One may find thousand reasons to buy, but there would be equal amount of reasons, which would say; why we may not need it.

A great post !
My philosophy:
1. Do with what you have; work around the constraints as much as possible. E.g. the buffer sucks in the D7100.
2. No harm in dreaming about upgrades (a mild dose of GAS - gear acquisition syndrome). Perhaps one day make it happen, budget permitting?

All cameras (DSPR, mirrorless) launched in the last few years are good enough for general purpose photography.

Here is a slightly retouched, re-posted photo (removed some distracting poles, lines) - metered for the highlights, pulled up the shadows later. The nice DR at ISO 100 helped. I would have got such a shot with any other camera too, but would have had to spend more time on PP.
The DSLR Thread-tents.jpg

Here is one shot from a sequence. This is a severely cropped photo (I only had a 70-300mm lens), shot in a gloomy forest. The leopard was sitting on a branch. It suddenly got up, scampered down the branch and then leaped into the undergrowth. The entire sequence took less than 2 seconds - this shot was taken during the scampering phase. I had anticipated this since I could hear an approaching vehicle and knew the cat might disappear - had shifted to crop+JPEG mode for max buffer. The good AF of the D7100 helped in getting such a shot. I wouldn't have got this with a body that had inferior AF. Of course, if I had a longer, fast lens then the photo IQ would have been significantly better.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_5586v2.jpeg
Old 11th September 2014, 12:39   #13092
Senior - BHPian

7D Mk2 specs

http://www.cameraegg.org/beaking-new...-specs-leaked/

What fantastic specs for an action camera!!!

If only Nikon would come up with a similar body....sigh.
Old 11th September 2014, 13:58   #13093
Team-BHP Support

Re: 7D Mk2 specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
What fantastic specs for an action camera!!!
Most of it were already known as a part of rumors. Now just need to know how they price it.

Here is the event, where it most probably would revealed.

http://www.photokina.com/en/photokina/home/index.php
Old 11th September 2014, 15:17   #13094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of it were already known as a part of rumors. Now just need to know how they price it.

Here is the event, where it most probably would revealed.

http://www.photokina.com/en/photokina/home/index.php
I know from Canonrumors, but good to see the specs getting validated. The 10fps and 61 cross type af sensors appear fantastic on paper. Now if the new sensor is as good as the Nikon's, I just might shift to Canon

Or go fullframe in Nikon - the D810.

Interesting times.
Old 11th September 2014, 16:29   #13095
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I know from Canonrumors, but good to see the specs getting validated. The 10fps and 61 cross type af sensors appear fantastic on paper. Now if the new sensor is as good as the Nikon's, I just might shift to Canon

The one positive reason why I like Canon is the simplified nomenclature for their lenses. Whether FF or crop sensor, I can chose to buy the good lens for FF and I know they would be compatible and work well with crop sensor as well. On the sensor part, I doubt if they would be as good as Nikon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks