Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 12:29   #12856
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Gone bankrupt, but bought a new Nikon D7000 [body only].
Congrats and Welcome to the club of D7000. How much did the body cost you? Heard that the prices have gone up.. true?

Do post some pictures clicked through the 150-500. With an already bigger and heavier body of the D7000, it must be super heavy to hold and compose a shot especially if you are trying to hold it super steady by controlling your breath.
Old 16th June 2014, 12:38   #12857
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Congrats and Welcome to the club of D7000. How much did the body cost you?
Thanks.
I bought it in CHINA for CNY=4200 [=INR 40,000].

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Do post some pictures clicked through the 150-500. With an already bigger and heavier body of the D7000, it must be super heavy to hold and compose a shot especially if you are trying to hold it super steady by controlling your breath.
One picture shot with D3100+Sigma 150-500 here

It definitely is heavy, close to 3kg [D7000+ Lens], if I am not wrong.
Old 16th June 2014, 12:51   #12858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
...Professional photographers preferred the Nikon whereas the others preferred the Canon...
Quote:
...The difference was explained very simply by one professional photographer - "Saaar, the Canon shows black as black and white as white, whereas the Nikon shows both as white and our people prefer that". Fact of the matter - a lot of tamilians go to a great extent to be shown with a fair skin...
Well, that a very small sample size to deal with. I thought professional photographers prefer to show the black as black & white as white - so they should ideally go with a Canon right? If the pros (world wide) are choosing Nikon, wouldn't that be better?

Wherever I noticed Nikon preference was actually in international websites, so the "preference for white skin" doesn't hold I suppose. NOT intending to pick on you, but would really like to know the difference.

Edit:: Was talking to friend on the difference as he mentioned the exact same thing as highlighted above. He is specializing in wedding photography.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th June 2014 at 13:03.
Old 16th June 2014, 13:06   #12859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Well, that a very small sample size to deal with. I thought professional photographers prefer to show the black as black & white as white - so they should ideally go with a Canon right? If the pros (world wide) are choosing Nikon, wouldn't that be better?

Wherever I noticed Nikon preference was actually in international websites, so the "preference for white skin" doesn't hold I suppose. NOT intending to pick on you, but would really like to know the difference.
No offence taken. Do go ahead and pick on me, if I get to learn some more by our discussions, why not?

Have a look at the following sites:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/niko...anon.htm#prefs

Apart from those, you could just type Nikon vs Canon in google and get a host of explanations.

Why did I choose the 550D, simply because that was the best "prosumer" camera at that point in time.

Interesting observation.

Last edited by ksmrsm : 16th June 2014 at 13:08. Reason: Just saw the edit above.
Old 16th June 2014, 13:12   #12860
Senior - BHPian

Well, it is just a point of view. Some people prefer Nikon, while others prefer Canon. If you have some friends who are Canon users, it is better to go with canon as you can share lenses. Almost all my family is on Canon which great when going on trips.
Old 16th June 2014, 14:29   #12861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think by professional he just means wedding photographers in India.

The reason wedding photographers stick to Nikon is entierly different.

When Canon shifted from FD to EOS mount more then 20 years ago it created a bad wibe among the wedding photographer community who loves to stick to the gear.

Also since everyone uses Nikon it is easier to borrow / rent midrange zoom and flash. From Wedding Photog's point of view flash is more important then prime lens. In fact you will hardly come across any wedding photographer trying out changing lenses.
Old 16th June 2014, 14:41   #12862
Team-BHP Support

Will all due disrespect, Ken Rockwell is like a Tantrik Baba of photography. Lots of talk, very little walk
Old 16th June 2014, 17:00   #12863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had the same dilemma before I choose the Canon 550D. Professional photographers preferred the Nikon whereas the others preferred the Canon. Did a lot of searches on the net and found them to be similar.
Canon's L series lenses are quite popular with Professionals.

At this point, entry level DSLRs from Nikon have an edge in terms of picture quality since Nikon introduced new sensors with higher resolution / light sensitivity but Canon has not upgraded its sensors in last few years.

Don't think we can pick either of these two as "better" in general. Though in specific budget range, either might have an edge.
Old 16th June 2014, 18:10   #12864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Will all due disrespect, Ken Rockwell is like a Tantrik Baba of photography. Lots of talk, very little walk

He doesnt go deep .. is oriented towards the consumer / amateur.
Old 16th June 2014, 19:27   #12865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I think by professional he just means wedding photographers in India.
Not just wedding photographers, I have a friend who is into portfolio's for leading models and landscapes. He seems to be of the same opinion.

I really have not gone into depth with these differences. I am happy with my 550D.
Old 17th June 2014, 11:08   #12866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not just wedding photographers, I have a friend who is into portfolio's for leading models and landscapes. He seems to be of the same opinion.

I really have not gone into depth with these differences. I am happy with my 550D.
Is he Vikram ?

Any way meet wildlife ,birding , Video guys they swear by canon due to same reasons of lens availability

Nikon has taken a lead in FF and there are better Full Frame options which matter a lot to people in model portfolios. but frankly speaking for janta with D7000 , D5200 , 550D , 600D etc who are not investing a lot in specific glass or flash it really does not matter
Old 17th June 2014, 18:15   #12867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Just received Sigma 150-500mm. It came with a carrying case, lens hood, front & rear caps and a couple of straps [one for the case and the other to be used with the Tripod. It is very heavy and huge. The lens itself is close to 2 kg.
Congratulations. It is a pretty light lens to carry around for flower shots, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Reason I say it is not incremental is because these advances over 10 years have multiplied capabilities of the camera (DSLRs as well as Mirrorless)
Very true. Whether incremental or not (semantics), the latest cameras have significantly better low light and AF capabilities.

This is a recent ISO 1600 shot with the D7100. Excuse the over sharpening effects that are visible due to extreme resizing.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_1757_small.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The differences are mostly in the added conveniences in terms of more physical control options - wheels, buttons and card slots. As far as the images are concerned, there is hardly any discernible differences in the three series at each generation.
Well, those buttons and dials make a world of difference for some including me. But yes, all three have similar sensors.

Quote:
And somehow I feel that Nikon enjoys a better reputation in the DSLR space while Canon has a better grip in the point & shoot categories. Is it just my perception or a reality?
Quote:
I had the same dilemma before I choose the Canon 550D. Professional photographers preferred the Nikon whereas the others preferred the Canon. Did a lot of searches on the net and found them to be similar.
Quote:

You guys want to start that debate again?

There is nothing like 'pros prefer Nikon or Canon'. Canon has a slightly higher marketshare in the interchangeable lens camera segment for many years now. The Nikon/Canon pros and cons balance out each other, and relative lead keep changing with new launches.

Though, DXOmark claims that Nikon sensors usually have better dynamic range than the competing Canon ones. Doesn't make much difference during actual shooting unless you are doing extreme stuff.

As you build up your system you get locked into it. Some do switch, but most of the enthusiasts and semi pros/pros stick to what they are comfortable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

He doesnt go deep .. is oriented towards the consumer / amateur.
True. When I bought my first DSLR - the D90 - I set up the picture controls as per his recommendation. When I started shooting RAW later, those same settings appeared overcooked to me.

Quote:
Any way meet wildlife ,birding , Video guys they swear by canon due to same reasons of lens availability
Not sure about video, but the only unique reasons to go for Canon for budget wildlife/birding folks are the 400mm f.5.6 and the 100-400mm which is much cheaper than the new Nikkor 80-400mm AF-S. Many leading wildlife/nature pros shoot Nikon. D4S is the new king of the hill in the action/wildlife world, but differences b/w that and the 1DX are minimal.

Having said that, the Canon long primes are a bit lighter than their Nikon counterparts. And the built-in TC with the new Canon 200-400mm has no Nikon equivalent. However that lens will cost the same as a top end Swift on the road.
Old 17th June 2014, 18:55   #12868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The Nikon/Canon pros and cons balance out each other, and relative lead keep changing with new launches.

Though, DXOmark claims that Nikon sensors usually have better dynamic range than the competing Canon ones. Doesn't make much difference during actual shooting unless you are doing extreme stuff.
IMO, I am not sure if it is about respective strengths, or balancing out.

DXOmark seems to have it's own particular way of rating & Reviewing lenses. Their highest rating seems about 31 & otherwise decently rated lenses score about 15-16 with particular camera bodies .. If this is out of 100, then does it mean that the reviewed lens is bad , or do they have something that will score 100 of 100 ?
From what I read, their reviews & ratings seem quite subjective, and not necessarily the apply-able truth.

With ref to Canon vs Nikon, and all those "benchmark" numbers, I dont think most of us are going to use all of that. Lot of so called best-in-class features, or better-than-competition-features are more applicable on paper than in the real world we shoot in.
Old 17th June 2014, 19:01   #12869
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Congratulations. It is a pretty light lens to carry around for flower shots, isn't it?
Thanks.
Went in search of some birds, came back home with a couple of lotus flower shots instead.
A ISO 800 shot with D3100 @500mm. A bit soft, sorry.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_0072.jpg

BTW, thought you were using a D7000, but I realize its D7100 instead. Assuming you to have shot with D7000 earlier, how does it fare against D7100 especially shooting wildlife?

P.S: Got a new D7000 body yesterday.
Old 17th June 2014, 20:06   #12870
BHPian

Quote:
Is he Vikram ?
No. His name is Ramesh and is based out of Chennai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks