Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2013, 14:07   #12406
Team-BHP Support

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Need advice on purchasing "Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC" lens for my canon 550d.

requirement is for basic shoot and some pics on holidays(don't want to carry the entire kit along with the lenses)
Unless it is budget or something very specific I have trouble recommending third party lenses. Issues may be slower focussing (AF) and some softness.

Canon makes a pretty good 18-200 IS. The other option would be to make do with a 2 lens combo unless your vacation is in a dusty place like a beach.
Old 5th January 2014, 20:59   #12407
BHPian

Few months back i purchased Nikon D3100 which came with the standard 18-55 Lens. After 6 months of practicing, i think i am ready for lens upgrade.

Requirement: Outdoor Shoots, Low Light Shoots, Portraits

What is the recommended Lens Upgrade for my requirements? (still a beginner and Hobbyist)

Nikkor 55-300mm or Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

Any recommendation is appreciated.
Old 5th January 2014, 21:04   #12408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Unless it is budget or something very specific I have trouble recommending third party lenses. Issues may be slower focussing (AF) and some softness.
+1

Even I would suggest the Canon version.

Another off-track question: Any reasons for the 18-200 range ? Do you really need a cover all type lens?
Old 5th January 2014, 22:09   #12409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post

What is the recommended Lens Upgrade for my requirements? (still a beginner and Hobbyist)

35mm f/1.8G would be the purist's recommendation. Better optic quality, better low light performance and you will actually have to compose your shot well.
Old 6th January 2014, 14:44   #12410
BHPian

Quote:
Just a suggestion, why dont you look at 18-105mm ? It can help you outdoors.

I'm no expert myself and I too am in the same dilemma.
Old 6th January 2014, 16:11   #12411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

One reason for selecting third party lens was budget, since getting a Canon would cost me double the price of a Sigma(i dont want to sell my existing lens kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
+1

Another off-track question: Any reasons for the 18-200 range ? Do you really need a cover all type lens?
the other reason was i am a regular traveller, and when ever i want to take a long shot, or some nature pics i have to change the lens(which i want to avoid it)

P.S: lens i own currently are Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, Canon Basic Kit Lens 18-55 and Canon EF 50mm f/1.8.

But wanted to have a third party lens which i can use on the go without changing.
Old 6th January 2014, 17:20   #12412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One reason for selecting third party lens was budget, since getting a Canon would cost me double the price of a Sigma(i dont want to sell my existing lens kit).

the other reason was i am a regular traveller, and when ever i want to take a long shot, or some nature pics i have to change the lens(which i want to avoid it)

P.S: lens i own currently are Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, Canon Basic Kit Lens 18-55 and Canon EF 50mm f/1.8.

But wanted to have a third party lens which i can use on the go without changing.
IMNSHO this is a pointless exercise unless you get the canon lens - 3rd party may be quite slow at the tele end. You can get the 18-270 while you're at it, even! But, mate, in lenses, TANSTAAFL!

I went through the same thought process before realizing that I scarcely needed focal lengths greater than 100mm in regular travels (with wife/kid). The wife/kid had no patience for me changing lenses.

After much hemming and hawwing, I chose the 17-70 F2.8-4 Sigma contemporary which does a fantastic job of making my camera like a high quality auto P&S!

Except a recent trip to Masinagudi/Bandipur, I have not changed the lens in almost 7 months since I bought the Sigma.
Old 6th January 2014, 21:21   #12413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am also looking for a lens which I can use on the go without changing. I find it difficult to change the lens depending on the shot when I am travelling. Nikon 18-200 is almost 3 times the price of third party lenses - which do not have Vibration Reduction.
Old 6th January 2014, 22:10   #12414
Senior - BHPian

A 35-70 lens is good for event photos as well as travel photos. A bigger zoom is anyway useless if you don't have time to compose your shot. Which means you should also have time to change lenses.

If you want to avoid changing lenses and need a one-size-fits-all solution, ditch the SLR and go for a good point and shoot with good optical zoom.
Old 6th January 2014, 23:19   #12415
BHPian

Quote:
Few months back i purchased Nikon D3100 which came with the standard 18-55 Lens. After 6 months of practicing, i think i am ready for lens upgrade.

After a visit to Hessarghatta grasslands (where many TBHPians have done the photoshoots of their rides) last week, I realise the limitation of the stock 18-55 with my Nikon D5200. Even I am thinking of 55-200 or 55-300, but not sure which lens to go for (budget restricting). I know that I wont use it often. My primary lens will always be the 50mm prime. So, want a decent balance between price & quality now for a longer range zoom lens. Any options? (renting at 400/500rs / day for those rare outings is another alternative).
Old 7th January 2014, 10:48   #12416
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello chaps.

Well, Nikon just announced 2 cameras - the D3300 and the still-under-development D4s.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/About-Nik...ouncement.html
Old 7th January 2014, 11:39   #12417
BHPian

Quote:

@hrmanju1 : Both lenses you mentioned cater to different applications, so there is no question of 'OR'!

If you are looking for a zoom lens, the primary aspects you should look for are AF speed and VR. From what I have heard and researched, the 70-300mm VR is much faster in AF, and is considered one of the best zoom lenses made by Nikon (other than the fixed aperture ones). I bought the 70-300mm after quite some research, and the results are fantastic. If you ask me for a zoom lens, I have no other recommendation.

Note - the Nikkor 70-300mm VR is costlier than the camera with kit lens

Tamron has 28-270mm or 300mm lenses, which will be pretty convenient, but as the zoom range increases, it possibly impacts the speed, and overall image sharpness near extreme ends. I'm not an expert, in this, so you may want to research a bit more. My photography expert friends say buy only Nikkor lenses for Nikon and Canon lenses for Canon, unless otherwise there is a extremely strong reason.

I don't have a prime lens yet, so cant comment on the 35mm one. Surely, prime lenses will give high quality pictures.

Last edited by samm : 7th January 2014 at 11:40.
Old 7th January 2014, 15:29   #12418
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a Teleconverter for Nikon D3100 with 55-300 f 4.5 -5.6 DX lens. My need is for occassional wildlife and birding and does not justify another lens. I am ok with losing autofocus.

Please suggest if the vivitar 2XMC4-N. is suitable and will work with the above kit.

Thanks
srinivas
Old 7th January 2014, 16:57   #12419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I am looking for a Teleconverter for Nikon D3100 with 55-300 f 4.5 -5.6 DX lens. My need is for occassional wildlife and birding and does not justify another lens. I am ok with losing autofocus.

Please suggest if the vivitar 2XMC4-N. is suitable and will work with the above kit.

Thanks
srinivas
As it is the f5.6 at 300mm is slow. A 1.4TC will make this lense f8 which will require excellent light to shoot wide open. As such the zoom is not exceptional in sharpness (just about OK at 300mm) and with a TC it will not be worth spending on a TC. If you want good photographs of distant wild life, invest in a prime lense.

TC especially Nikon ones are quite expensive about 24k. I would suggest that you save up money and get the Nikon 300mmf4 lense. This is an exceptional lense and later when you add the TC it will be a capable 420mmf5.6 lense.

Here are some reviews
http://photographylife.com/reviews/n...300AFSlens.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/300f4afs.htm
Old 8th January 2014, 10:04   #12420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Speedy, I was in the same place you are a few years ago. My main lens was the 17-55 and I had the 70-300, the 10-22 and a few primes in my kit. I got myself the Tamron 18-270 (non PZD version). These 3rd party lenses are good (not great) when not too much is demanded of them. The Tamron wont AF as fast as the Canon 18-200 for example and at the lond end really comes into it's own at f/8-f/11.

Besides expect distortion at both ends (barrel and pincushion) especially noticeable if shooting architecture, more CA than a Canon 18-200 or 18-135 etc.. and the final nail - poor resale value.

Today the 18-270 just sits in my kit. I hope someday Canon will release a 18-300 f3.5-5.6.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks