Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2013, 13:28   #12226
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
D5200 will not auto focus with this lens.
(that is why the lens is so cheap!)
Hi, yes. I am aware of the AF limitation with my camera. I am open to manual focussing as I am experimenting & learning. The price point is tempting for me. I have read both +ve & -ve views about it (sharpness issues at some f-stops, manual focussing, chinese/cheap plastic body) which makes me think twice.

Last edited by null : 9th October 2013 at 13:32.
Old 9th October 2013, 13:52   #12227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Need your views here. Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens is available on Flipkart for Rs. 4534/- today. I am interested in portrait pictures. Should I go for with for my recently purchased Nikon D5200? Was planning for it (in fact the newer version or the f/1.4 lens) after sometime, but considering the price I am tempted to buy it now itself.

http://www.flipkart.com/nikon-af-nik...CCX3SGHECGPPFU

I know that a lot will depend on how I good I am at it. Still, should I stick to the existing kit lens, fool around for some more time and get used to the camera and then go for it OR buy it now and start using it since my interest is mainly indoor/close-up/portraits mainly.

Your views please?
Have used this lens with a D3100 and the image quality is really good.
The background blur is also beautiful.

If you're ok with manual focus then go for it! I think it used to cost 6.5k until now
Old 9th October 2013, 18:05   #12228
Senior - BHPian

The "D" lenses require motor in the body. 3xxx and 5xxx series do not have the motor, hence these lenses will not focus on these bodies. You need lenses with built in motors the "G" series.
Old 9th October 2013, 23:28   #12229
Senior - BHPian

The 50mm f/1.8D is one the best value for money lenses. Go for it - worth it with manual focus. And that is a super cheap price.
Old 10th October 2013, 11:45   #12230
BHPian

Have a 50mm 1.8d but now thinking of replacing it with 1.8G, I do not have a body with AF-motor so cannot use the 1.8d in real low light with close-up action. e.g. Navratri dandiya and action with diwali fire-cracker bursting

If money is not a factor then it is a better idea to go for better technology that provides all the bells and whistles. e.g. af-s in 1.8g

It would help immensely if somebody points out how I can overcome my above limitations or is it even the right lens for the job?

Last edited by skartik2 : 10th October 2013 at 11:47.
Old 10th October 2013, 21:42   #12231
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. Placed an order for it. Price was very tempting. Even the stores are quoting 5.5K for it.

Now waiting to get my hands on it over this long weekend (hopefully).
Old 12th October 2013, 21:57   #12232
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Placed an order for it. Price was very tempting. Even the stores are quoting 5.5K for it.

Now waiting to get my hands on it over this long weekend (hopefully).
Thanks for posting here and making my wallet light .

Ordered one from http://www.flipkart.com/nikon-af-nik...CCX3SGHECGPPFU

I am a ebay guy ,this is my first flipkart purchase , lets see how it goes .Price was too tempting to let go .
Old 12th October 2013, 22:12   #12233
BHPian

I am planning to replace my Canon 17-85mm with the 18-135mm STM lens. My main purpose for getting this lens is for shooting videos (I have a 10-22mm for landscapes). Does anyone here use this lens for videos? What is your feedback? I know I will miss out the continuous AF on the Canon 60D but that is still better than having to focus manually for moving subjects, especially kids . I've read the half-shutter press works fine on the 60D.
Old 13th October 2013, 00:22   #12234
BHPian

Does anyone know where I can get a battery grip for the Canon EOS 70D?

The model is the BG-E14, and I am looking for third-party grips such as Meike.

Searches on eBay show prices around 18-23K, which is impossible.

The reason I am looking for the Meike grip is that I have their BG-E9 on my 60D, and it has performed flawlessly so far, at around half the price of the OE Canon grip.
Old 13th October 2013, 13:27   #12235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a battery grip for the Canon EOS 70D?

The model is the BG-E14, and I am looking for third-party grips such as Meike.

Searches on eBay show prices around 18-23K, which is impossible.

The reason I am looking for the Meike grip is that I have their BG-E9 on my 60D, and it has performed flawlessly so far, at around half the price of the OE Canon grip.
Since you own both 60D and 70D, do you feel 70d is worth the extra money over 60d?
Old 13th October 2013, 23:11   #12236
BHPian

Hello all, this Deepawali I am looking forward to fulfilling a longstanding desire...to buy a DSLR camera. Personally I prefer a Canon.

At present I know nothing of DSLR photography, so my first camera will be for building up my skills. So, the problem. Currently there are some great offers on the EOS 600D at around 29k with the kit lens. Then I am getting tempted by the EOS 60D, another unit being phased out that is available for around 50k, while the heart is stuck on the EOS70D that is available at almost 90k. All units carry the same 18-55 standard lens, with the EOS70D featuring it in STM guise.

Can an experienced hand help me in striking the best balance between features, long term support, ease of operation and economic sense, given that I am a first time DSLR user and would keep the camera for at least 5 years?
Old 14th October 2013, 09:11   #12237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Hello all, this Deepawali I am looking forward to fulfilling a longstanding desire...to buy a DSLR camera. Personally I prefer a Canon.

At present I know nothing of DSLR photography, so my first camera will be for building up my skills. So, the problem. Currently there are some great offers on the EOS 600D at around 29k with the kit lens. Then I am getting tempted by the EOS 60D, another unit being phased out that is available for around 50k, while the heart is stuck on the EOS70D that is available at almost 90k. All units carry the same 18-55 standard lens, with the EOS70D featuring it in STM guise.

Can an experienced hand help me in striking the best balance between features, long term support, ease of operation and economic sense, given that I am a first time DSLR user and would keep the camera for at least 5 years?
One simple mantra to keep in mind- spend less on body, more on lens. Bodies lose value faster. 5 yrs down the lane, your 90k 70D will not fetch you half the initial price.
Old 14th October 2013, 21:50   #12238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Since you own both 60D and 70D, do you feel 70d is worth the extra money over 60d?
I am letting the 60D go to a friend who has been bugging me to buy it for quite some time.

Plus, the simplified AF system from the 7D and the improvements in LiveView AF should make it worth my while.
Old 14th October 2013, 23:26   #12239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Thank you, @amit. I think I will shell out 1200 and get it cleaned from a centre. How long does it take? Can i like wait and collect it back after cleaning from the centre?

@all, in between EOS 6D vs 7D vs 70D, can the 60D be considered for the sheer VFM factor? Apart from the 19 cross type AF points and slightly better FPS, I dont think there is any other reason to choose other camera's.

How is the low light performance of 60D ?
Got it cleaned and received yesterday. Clean, no dust issues at all now. Unfocussed at F11 at ISO 100 is neutral and devoid of any scar marks.

FYI - Cost 225/-

The prices being offered for the 1000D is ridiculously low. I might as well keep it instead of selling this.

60D is sold out at most online shops. :(
Old 15th October 2013, 07:32   #12240
BHPian

From personal experience, I can say that the 60D is an excellent camera.

The only reasons I am letting mine go are the 19 AF points on the 70D, and my friend's insistence.

Low light performance on the 60D is not as good as on the 6D, but more than good enough for regular use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks