Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2013, 19:27   #12211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Go in for an Op Tech Pro strap. It's among the best and very popular. Price is about 1200 per strap. I use it on my DSLRs when comfort is a priority as is a discrete design compared to the Nikon strap that screams 'Steal me!'

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/opte...-strap/1492525

Alternative is UP Strap but you cant get that in India. I have a Black Rapid too. Some guys have had a good experience with the BR and some nightmares when the fastener comes off. I'm a bit of a
pessimist when it comes to straps so don't use it.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1238132

Still more alternatives are straps from Lowepro and Kata. No experience with them.
R2D2, long time! How you been?:-)

Somehow optech completely slipped out of my mind. Thanks for reminding me on that one. I was considering the lowepros and the katas. As for BR, it is anyways is out of budget :-).

My only concern about buying them online is not knowing if the fasteners will pass through the d-rings on the camera body. I read a review on flipkart about a lowepro's fastener not passing through d-rings!!

@ Manim, does it come in black ?
Old 7th October 2013, 00:17   #12212
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
R2D2, long time! How you been?:-)

Somehow optech completely slipped out of my mind. Thanks for reminding me on that one. I was considering the lowepros and the katas. As for BR, it is anyways is out of budget :-).

My only concern about buying them online is not knowing if the fasteners will pass through the d-rings on the camera body. I read a review on flipkart about a lowepro's fastener not passing through d-rings!!

@ Manim, does it come in black ?
Hi Sachin, how are you doing? Yes, been a pretty long time since we chatted. You must be busy with the job eh?

Op Tech Pro straps come in 2 versions; loop and 3/8" webbing strap Well, the 3/8" straps on the Op Tech should go thru the D rings on any standard DSLR, not sure about mirrorless cameras though. To be sure, just measure the webbing width on the Nikon strap. Even better still get the OpTech pro **LOOP** strap in the link I provided. This one will definitely fit.
Old 8th October 2013, 05:45   #12213
BHPian

Pentax announced their new flagship APS-C camera today, K-3. This is direct competition to Canon 70D and Nikon D7100.

Main Features
  • 24.4 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • Weather resistant magnesium alloy body with 92 weather seals
  • Sensor-shift image stabilization with rotational compensation
  • Anti-aliasing 'simulator' (camera has no optical low-pass filter)
  • SAFOX 11 TTL autofocus system (27-point, 25 of which are cross-type)
  • 3.2-inch LCD with 3:2 aspect ratio and 1.037k dots
  • Pentaprism optical viewfinder with 0.95x magnification, 100% coverage
  • 8.3 fps continuous shooting
  • 1920 x 1080 video recording (60i, 30p, 24p)
  • Dual SD card slots
  • Headphone, microphone ports
  • USB 3.0 support

First look:

In-depth hands-on preview - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...pentax-k3A.HTM

The DSLR Thread-zurbeauty.jpg

Last edited by Gandhi : 8th October 2013 at 05:50.
Old 8th October 2013, 12:11   #12214
Senior - BHPian

D7100

Lovely specs on the Pentax.

Took the plunge and got myself a D7100.

Quick update:

Been reading the manual and setting the camera up for my style of shooting. Main priorities were to experiment with the AF system and continuous shooting and see what works best. In the end feel that AF-C, focus priority (still working on whether focus or release priority works better for me, need to take a final call), Dynamic Area 9 points + Auto Focus lock at setting 2 should be ok for animals. Would need to configure it differently for birds. Landscapes and people are easy, they don't vanish in a second :-). My D90 had a basic AF system, so I always used single point AF there (with pretty good results). So this is something new. Will know how to best finetune after a few days in the field.

It underexposes slightly, so a +.3 exposure compensation should be ok.

Been also experimenting to see how I could work around the limited buffer e.g. what kind of bursts, what file quality etc. Seems it has a 1.5-2 stops ISO noise advantage over my D90. The Auto-ISO feature - where the lenses focal length is taken into account - is pretty useful. I am using it as normal -2 levels, since I am getting sharp pictures with the 70-300mize handheld at 1/100s. Will see what kind of lighting I get in the early mornings and evenings and decide on the Auto-ISo setting on the spot.

Configured the AE/AF lock button for AF-ON. The ergonomics seem to be a little better than the D90's - there is a little less strain on my hand when I use back button focus.

Thankfully, no AF-finetuning was needed with the 70-300VR.

Since I am going for a wildlife roadtrip in the next few days, need to get enough familiarity with the camera so as to change the settings in an instant - if required - to get that fleeting shot. So so far so good.

The D90 is for sale, got some leads from JJ Mehta.
Old 8th October 2013, 12:35   #12215
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Canon india is offering a deal on 600D and 1100D

http://canonedge.com/diwalioffer/index.html
Old 8th October 2013, 13:54   #12216
BHPian

600D combo offer was Rs.34,355 on EBay a few days back. Canon offer seems to be on the higher side
Old 8th October 2013, 14:46   #12217
Senior - BHPian

Nikon launched D610 with full frame.

Price seems to be very good @ $1,999 Body only and with AF-S NIKKOR 24-85MM F/3.5-4.5G ED VR lens for $2,599.95.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10...&ref=title_0_1
Old 8th October 2013, 16:48   #12218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Nikon launched D610 with full frame.

Price seems to be very good @ $1,999 Body only and with AF-S NIKKOR 24-85MM F/3.5-4.5G ED VR lens for $2,599.95.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10...&ref=title_0_1
I don't think this was right on Nikon's part. They should have done a recall of all the D600s and replaced the shutter with a free service.

By releasing the D610 with an improved shutter mechanism, Nikon just told the guys with D600 to flush their cam down the toilet. Rubbing salt on the wound the price at launch of D610 is lower than the price of D600 at launch.
Old 8th October 2013, 17:08   #12219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
I don't think this was right on Nikon's part. They should have done a recall of all the D600s and replaced the shutter with a free service.

By releasing the D610 with an improved shutter mechanism, Nikon just told the guys with D600 to flush their cam down the toilet. Rubbing salt on the wound the price at launch of D610 is lower than the price of D600 at launch.
For over a month the roumour mill has been predicting the D610, even the specifications were there. In US the price of the D600 had dropped from $2100 to as low as $1700, so the writing was on the wall.

Actually there is nothing much different between the 600 and 610. If you have no oil/dust problem you have practically the same camera. In fact for bargain hunters the prospect of getting a new D600 for around $1500/ seems to be nearing a reality as major distributors try to liquidate the stocks.
Old 8th October 2013, 17:25   #12220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
For over a month the roumour mill has been predicting the D610, even the specifications were there. In US the price of the D600 had dropped from $2100 to as low as $1700, so the writing was on the wall.

Actually there is nothing much different between the 600 and 610. If you have no oil/dust problem you have practically the same camera. In fact for bargain hunters the prospect of getting a new D600 for around $1500/ seems to be nearing a reality as major distributors try to liquidate the stocks.
Agreed, but this incident and Nikon's response will make me think 100 times before plonking money down for a newly released FF camera.

D600 at $1500 is delicious but what if it has the oil disease?
Old 8th October 2013, 17:56   #12221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, but this incident and Nikon's response will make me think 100 times before plonking money down for a newly released FF camera.

D600 at $1500 is delicious but what if it has the oil disease?
From what I have read
. The oil issue decreases with time (may be all the oil is expelled)
. The oil spots are evident prominently only at f11 and beyond. So if you shoot wide open they are not evident in photographs.
. The newer lot of D600 have the new shutter, and no one has reported oil issues in them.
. In US at least all refurbished D600 have new shutter.
. The D600 continues to be listed at its older price in India site. The D610 though $100 cheaper if Rs.4k more reflecting the new dollar rates.

As you have rightly said, getting any consumer durable after at least 6 months of launch is a safe strategy, be it cameras or cars. In that time all the niggles are identified and a lot of teething problems solved. If they continue, then the product bombs, as is the case with D600 (and the SB90 flash)

D600 was available in Delhi for Rs.1.09L (13% discount), with introduction of D610 I expect it to fall below a lac (20-22% discount).
Old 8th October 2013, 18:52   #12222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. The newer lot of D600 have the new shutter, and no one has reported oil issues in them.
If we are looking at a D600 at a Nikon store in India how do we know that it has the new shutter? This is what scares me.

Also, we don't have return policies at stores, just in case we run out of luck and get the Diseased 600.
Old 8th October 2013, 18:59   #12223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If we are looking at a D600 at a Nikon store in India how do we know that it has the new shutter? This is what scares me.

Also, we don't have return policies at stores, just in case we run out of luck and get the Diseased 600.
If your camera is under warranty then Nikon Service will replace the shutter assembly for free. That's what I've heard from my friends who have D600. But you must have warranty and grey market cameras won't get that benefit. But they have never ever announced that there is an issue with the shutter assembly.

Yes, what Nikon has done is not very right by not acknowledging the issue and that definitely will put a dent in terms of trust on the brand. The D600 is a very good camera if you can get over the oil/dust issue.
Old 9th October 2013, 13:08   #12224
BHPian

Need your views here. Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens is available on Flipkart for Rs. 4534/- today. I am interested in portrait pictures. Should I go for with for my recently purchased Nikon D5200? Was planning for it (in fact the newer version or the f/1.4 lens) after sometime, but considering the price I am tempted to buy it now itself.

http://www.flipkart.com/nikon-af-nik...CCX3SGHECGPPFU

I know that a lot will depend on how I good I am at it. Still, should I stick to the existing kit lens, fool around for some more time and get used to the camera and then go for it OR buy it now and start using it since my interest is mainly indoor/close-up/portraits mainly.

Your views please?
Old 9th October 2013, 13:14   #12225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Need your views here. Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens is available on Flipkart for Rs. 4534/- today. I am interested in portrait pictures. Should I go for with for my recently purchased Nikon D5200?
D5200 will not auto focus with this lens.
(that is why the lens is so cheap!)

Last edited by manim : 9th October 2013 at 13:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks